Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Lemongrass in Center Harbor (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24557)

Sue Doe-Nym 06-16-2019 06:46 PM

Lemongrass in Center Harbor

Last night's dinnrer at Lemongrass was a huge disappointment. We had a 7:30 reservation but had a wait, and once we were seated, we had another wait before anyone recognized us. Our seafood selection was not very tasty and was only luke warm. We have had dinner there many times over the years, and realize every time can't be wonderful, but we won't be hurrying back, for sure.

upthesaukee 06-16-2019 07:52 PM

What did they say after you talked to them

As a long time customer who has enjoyed many meals there, I'm sure you spoke to them on your way out to let them know that your dining experience was not up the their standard and that you wanted to let them know there was a disappointment in the service and also food quality. Inquisitive minds are wondering what their response was.

Dave

icg56 06-16-2019 09:10 PM

Lemon Grass

Went there tonight (Sunday) about 7 PM. No wait, great service and food.:)

Sue Doe-Nym 06-16-2019 09:44 PM

Lemongrass

Actually, that’s what we should have done had there been anyone at the reception area when we left. I might give them a call tomorrow because our experience on Saturday was not the norm. I don’t want to be a complainer, but they should know what transpired because people tend to share their opinions on such things as restaurants, etc. Good suggestion, Dave....thank you.

thinkxingu 06-17-2019 04:48 AM

If a place I've been consistently happy with has a bad night, I give them at least two more tries. On the second or third, depending on how bad the outings have been, I'll speak to whomever is in charge. Their reaction dictates whether I'll return in the short term, or if I'll wait a while in the hopes that they figure things out.

Even the absolute best establishments have bad days, but (at least to me) it's how they handle it that matters.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

SAMIAM 06-17-2019 05:46 AM

The fact that no one was at the reception desk leads me to believe that they were probably struggling(like the rest of us) with staffing issues.
Besides Bike Week, there were many graduations last weekend and people are filling in to cover positions that they are not familiar with.
I'd let them know and definitely give another try. They will appreciate your understanding.

trashman 06-17-2019 07:53 AM

Amen!

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 313487)
If a place I've been consistently happy with has a bad night, I give them at least two more tries. On the second or third, depending on how bad the outings have been, I'll speak to whomever is in charge. Their reaction dictates whether I'll return in the short term, or if I'll wait a while in the hopes that they figure things out.

Even the absolute best establishments have bad days, but (at least to me) it's how they handle it that matters.

Lets go easy on the small businesses. It's tough enough competing in today's environment, but no need to publicly shame on one bad night.

joey2665 06-17-2019 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trashman (Post 313493)
Lets go easy on the small businesses. It's tough enough competing in today's environment, but no need to publicly shame on one bad night.

I think Sue just gave a review and honest assessment of their visit. As this restaurant closes seasonally and recently just opened I think people like to have current reviews especially with the labor shortage again this year.

I do think the suggestion by Thinking to report the visit to management is an excellent idea

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

thinkxingu 06-17-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trashman (Post 313493)

Huh? I assume you meant to quote the OP?

FlyingScot 06-17-2019 09:02 PM

They've been great for years. I am not deterred from returning

joey2665 06-17-2019 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 313521)
They've been great for years. I am not deterred from returning

Nor should you be. Just one person reporting one experience. It’s just food for thought. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

rsmlp 06-18-2019 07:00 AM

criticism

Something I've noticed that is very consistent on the forum is to remonstrate anyone who suggests anything negative about almost any establishment. I've been to Lemongrass and I like it. Doesn't mean they could not be suffering NOW from whatever; labor shortage, chef unhappy, who knows? But he fact that this consumer had a bad experience should not be reason enough to criticize them like it's THEIR fault. When I have a bad dining experience I do NOT go out of my way and talk to management. It's managements job to talk to me not he other way around.

Posting a negative review on this forum is welcoming negative feedback-just as I expect from this post.

FlyingScot 06-18-2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsmlp (Post 313525)
Something I've noticed that is very consistent on the forum is to remonstrate anyone who suggests anything negative about almost any establishment. I've been to Lemongrass and I like it. Doesn't mean they could not be suffering NOW from whatever; labor shortage, chef unhappy, who knows? But he fact that this consumer had a bad experience should not be reason enough to criticize them like it's THEIR fault. When I have a bad dining experience I do NOT go out of my way and talk to management. It's managements job to talk to me not he other way around.

Posting a negative review on this forum is welcoming negative feedback-just as I expect from this post.

This are good points, and the Forum would certainly be less valuable with only cheerleading. OTOH, we should remain conscious of the impact that negative posts can have. For that reason, unless it was REALLY horrendous, never going there again bad, I would not post about a single unhappy experience after a handful of good experiences.

Lemongrass has been terrific for a long time. Let's hope Sue's latest experience was an aberration.

rsmlp 06-18-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 313536)
This are good points, and the Forum would certainly be less valuable with only cheerleading. OTOH, we should remain conscious of the impact that negative posts can have. For that reason, unless it was REALLY horrendous, never going there again bad, I would not post about a single unhappy experience after a handful of good experiences.

Lemongrass has been terrific for a long time. Let's hope Sue's latest experience was an aberration.

I respectfully disagree. A FORUM is by definition a message board to air opinion, favorable or otherwise. It's up to he readers to judge the merit of the message. Anything less insults the reader.

jbolty 06-18-2019 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 313536)

This. a negative comment can do real damage to a place and I don't see the point of going out of the way to hurt a business after a single bad experience following a good history. In this particular case I think the OP was balanced but there are quite often posts made in anger that really serve no purpose other than venting.

How many times do all get asked "how is everything?" and respond "Fine" when it really isn't and then fume about it later? I have but I seldom then go out of the way to post a dig online; I had my chance to complain on the spot and didn't.

If it's a regular spot with a bad day I'll say something or just hope it's better next time and then eventually point it out.

my 2 cents

BernerGuy 06-18-2019 06:50 PM

I always find it amusing that it takes a bad experience for anyone to post here or on a review site. I have always had great meals at Lemongrass. Service is not always great but oh well. The whole lake is short staffed and has been for a few years. :)

FlyingScot 06-20-2019 07:10 PM

It's going to be everywhere

A couple of nights ago we went to another long-time excellent restaurant (keeping their name out of it for reasons stated in earlier posts), and the service was terrible. Super slow to get waitress started, even with the place mostly empty, poorly made drink, waitress with no knowledge (I told her the specials), entrees slow and without the sides I knew they normally include (once again, I told her, then they came).

Then I thought of this thread. Not only is the labor shortage making it difficult to staff up, but the folks who get hired are going to be weaker than we are used to. This year, if you can walk and talk, you can wait tables.

Maybe we all need to take a chill pill before dining out this Summer

tis 06-21-2019 04:54 AM

I don't mind if the service is slow, after all aren't we out to relax and enjoy? I do mind if the food isn't good.

SAMIAM 06-21-2019 05:27 AM

Years ago we had stacks of applications for summer employment. We'd choose according to work experience, appearance, availability, attitude and recommendations from previous employers.
Now we just feel for a pulse : )

thinkxingu 06-21-2019 06:03 AM

This was on the door at the AT&T store next to Lowe's in Gilford yesterday. Crazy stuff.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...20f5be472d.jpg

rsmlp 06-21-2019 06:03 AM

expectations

Two points come home in this thread; you can't post anything negative about a dining experience without being castigated AND obviously the reason for the poor dining experience is a super tight labor market.

Apparently readers are too obsequious to weigh the evidence of the post and make up their own minds as to its merit, hence the negative feedback. Congrats forum readers, you're a bunch of sycophants.

A tight labor market is indicative of a strong economy. It's also indicative of pressure on labor income-eventually. The former is most certainly good while the latter follows.

Correct me where I'm wrong.

PS My wife tells me the Red Hill Dari has opened! Thank you. We will be by this weekend and I will order my fried clam plate which is absolutely fantastic. Can hardly wait!!