Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Lawn Cutting (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23255)

LFOD 05-04-2018 06:08 AM

Lawn Cutting

Hello - Located off the Moultonborough Neck and I'm in need of someone to cut our grass a few times this spring. Any suggestions?

thanks for any replies

MBNeckguy 05-05-2018 08:42 PM

I’m sure anyone of the slew of local landscaping companies in the area would be happy to overcharge you for the privilege of doing so. I thought of having my yard’s spring cleaning done professionally this year. I was given $2.5k price to remove leaves, pine cones and mulch the flower beds. 12 hours of blowing with a backpack blower, $300 in mulch and 5 hours putting it in place and I’m done but hey time is money, money is time and you can’t buy time.....

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

LFOD 05-06-2018 04:39 AM

Wow, $2.5K - that seems like a bunch for a couple days work but after cleaning up our place, maybe not so much. Speaking of pine cones, I've never seen so many as I did this spring. Also, looks like a bunch on the trees still to come down.

I was thinking maybe a local kid would like to make a few extra dollars. Lawn takes about 15 minutes to mow.

Rusty 05-06-2018 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBNeckguy (Post 294291)
I’m sure anyone of the slew of local landscaping companies in the area would be happy to overcharge you for the privilege of doing so. I thought of having my yard’s spring cleaning done professionally this year. I was given $2.5k price to remove leaves, pine cones and mulch the flower beds. 12 hours of blowing with a backpack blower, $300 in mulch and 5 hours putting it in place and I’m done but hey time is money, money is time and you can’t buy time.....

How many "yard's" do you have..how big are they..how many "flower beds" and how big are they?
If you only have one yard, how big is it and is it easy to access?
All this information should be known by the landscaper and the estimate should reflect these factors.

The Real BigGuy 05-06-2018 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LFOD (Post 294295)
Wow, $2.5K - that seems like a bunch for a couple days work but after cleaning up our place, maybe not so much. Speaking of pine cones, I've never seen so many as I did this spring. Also, looks like a bunch on the trees still to come down.

I was thinking maybe a local kid would like to make a few extra dollars. Lawn takes about 15 minutes to mow.

You must have a pretty small lawn

LFOD 05-06-2018 02:26 PM

Small lawn, no beds, no edging - just want to keep it under control until we come up for the summer.

tis 05-06-2018 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBNeckguy (Post 294291)

2500 dollars for 17 hours work and $300 worth of mulch?????? Am I reading this wrong?

Hillcountry 05-06-2018 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 294314)
2500 dollars for 17 hours work and $300 worth of mulch?????? Am I reading this wrong?

Overhead! Landscaping companies (good ones) have lots of equipment and use lots of fuel...that said, yes it does seem overpriced but in their busy season (now) they will throw out high estimates to see if they stick to the wall.
When I used to do spring and fall cleanups (one man operation) I don’t think I ever charged more than $400 for my labor (not including materials like mulch).
On bigger jobs I got $50/hr plus materials, if any.
Gladly retired now and I don’t miss having a business that’s dictated largely, by our fickle NE weather.

DickR 05-06-2018 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 294314)

Was that 17 man hours or crew hours? It takes me a lot more than two man days to do my own yard work in the spring or fall. When I see landscapers servicing area properties, it usually is a crew of 3-4. $2500/17 is $147/hr. If this is a crew of three over two days plus, that's $49/man hour; for a crew of four, that's $37/hr. Subtracting some allowance for equipment used from the $2500, then dividing by crew size, the cost per man hour might be quite reasonable, considering it must cover hourly wage, SS, insurance, other overhead, and some reasonable profit. If you were doing the same work for someone, what would you charge?

tis 05-06-2018 05:33 PM

Well, yes, if he has a big yard and that is crew hours not man hours that makes a big difference. But he didn't say crew hours. Maybe he was saying that's how long it takes him. Even at $50 an hour x the 12 hours it's only $850. And maybe they were doing other things he didn't mention. Not sure, that's why I asked.

MBNeckguy 05-06-2018 06:34 PM

Those were the hours it took me to do it myself.

Doobs41378 05-06-2018 06:56 PM

Lawn Cutting

We just had landscaping done and it was $45 an hour for 2 guys so $90 an hour and they were here for 11 hours so just labor was $990 then materials etc. it adds up quick.

Rusty 05-06-2018 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBNeckguy (Post 294318)
Those were the hours it took me to do it myself.

Jeeeezzzz why didn't you say that in your first post?? Some people were using the hours as if it was from the landscaper time and material.

tis 05-07-2018 04:53 AM

So the pros should be able to do it faster than you with all the best equipment. I think the quote was high.

phoenix 05-07-2018 12:23 PM

Kyle does clean up for us and occasionally cuts our lawn . his number is 603 707 1892. He works full time but maybe willing to do some weekend effort.

dpg 05-10-2018 06:59 AM

Geez 50, 60, 70 dollars an hour for yard work??? I'll happily(?) cut my own lawn this weekend while I count my blessings (and savings.) :D