Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Water line easy connection? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20753)

Pricestavern 06-13-2016 05:21 PM

Water line easy connection?

We have a 1.5" plastic waterline runing from pump under the cabin down into the lake to draw water. Each Fall we need to disconnect the lower end just above waterline to drain the hose for winter. Each spring we need to reconnect the two halves.
What are the best options for an easy on/off connection? It's not a rigid pipe and there is a little flex. We tried a plastic 'Quik Connect' fitting but it leaks when the pipe flexes. We tried a threaded, galvonized connector but that ended up frozen (rust?) and I had to cut it out in the fall.

Is the metal Quik Connect going to take the slight pipe flex? Is there another option?

Thanks,
Rich

SteveO123 06-13-2016 07:39 PM

Sleeve?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricestavern (Post 263554)
We have a 1.5" plastic waterline runing from pump under the cabin down into the lake to draw water. Each Fall we need to disconnect the lower end just above waterline to drain the hose for winter. Each spring we need to reconnect the two halves.
What are the best options for an easy on/off connection? It's not a rigid pipe and there is a little flex. We tried a plastic 'Quik Connect' fitting but it leaks when the pipe flexes. We tried a threaded, galvonized connector but that ended up frozen (rust?) and I had to cut it out in the fall.

Is the metal Quik Connect going to take the slight pipe flex? Is there another option?

Thanks,
Rich

I've used PVC sleeves that allow the butt ends to be joined. Slip the sleeve completely up one side of the pipe then slide it over the other. Tighten and you're good!

Compression coupler on this page...

Good luck!
Steve:cool:

Slickcraft 06-14-2016 05:45 AM

We have a simple drain valve just above the waterline. Open in fall, close in spring.

Descant 06-14-2016 08:01 AM

Winterizing

Some people have an air pump that they attach to the valve and blow air back through the system to get all the water out when shutting down for the winter. Others do the same but fill the system with non-toxic antifreeze. Before all that, we designed the house and plumbing so we could just open a couple of valves and drain everything. No air pump, no antifreeze. Only an occasional spring fix since 1960 where a pipe sagged and didn't drain completely.

LIforrelaxin 06-14-2016 09:48 AM

Many people have used cam locks for quick connections on water lines...And I plan to do so when I eventually replace my current water line.

However currently I used standard Barb coupling fitting.... with a couple of clamps. The Secret to using these is to have a source of heat, to warm the pipe some when connecting and tightening the clamp.... I have been doing this now for I think 4 years, with out any problems.... (My house sprung several leaks which had to be mended....age, and wear on the rocks.....) ...

One of the better decisions I made was going back to drawing water from the lake, instead of sharing a well with a neighbor who was kind enough to offer the option to me... But well in the end I liked to open in the spring, and close in the fall far earlier and later then the neighbor was comfortable with, and it was their well after all...............

I have found that a well is nice, but it doesn't do anything to make my season longer or shorter... so I can't justify the cost of putting a well in, for my families seasonal camp.....

AC2717 06-14-2016 11:48 AM

PVC union- cement each side to each side of the pipe twist the nut to join them together done

Kamper 06-15-2016 05:34 AM

You can probably swap the galvanized fitting for brass or plastic.