Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Laconia Paving Projects (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24878)

dt5150 08-13-2019 09:43 AM

Laconia Paving Projects

i apologize in advance here, this is going to be a gripe post. perhaps others may feel the same way. i have no paving experience so i don't know anything about paving, just a motorist's perspective.

is it me, or do all of the paving projects in laconia seem to take forever to complete? they take waaaay longer than they should. for example, the project at the main intersection of union/court st. and north main, right near downtown. busby has been working on this for months.. they dig it up and fill it in, then dig it up again and fill it in. again and again again. they did the same thing on court st. not too long ago. they seem to repeat their work over and over again, taking months to complete a job that could or should be finished in weeks or in some cases days for small projects.

look at the job over by fratello's in lakeport. they've been there all summer! and they're still not done. it's not even an active job site currently. it's just a bumpy half finished mess. which seems to be another one of their signatures.. leaving a bumpy mess behind. i can understand it not being as smooth as glass while they're actively working the site, they're not finished yet. but these guys leave humps and dips in the road that would rival the moguls at waterville valley.

in comparison, i've traveled south on rt. 106 a few times in the last couple weeks. another paving company, weaver or something like that, was doing a pretty big job just south of the race track. they had a relatively flat and smooth gravel/dirt driving surface even during the job, and it appears that they finished the job in only a couple weeks or so, and the job was 5 times the size of the ones busby is doing in laconia.

another thing i noticed is that busby always seems to get the jobs in laconia... makes me curious if there is some sort of back scratching going on between them and the city somehow.

Phantom 08-13-2019 09:46 AM

come to MA if you think it's bad. :D :D

thebix 08-13-2019 09:52 AM

Utility Infrastructure

Before the street is rebuilt and paved every and each utility /water / sewer underground is being updated / repaired. Its not the paving company digging and filling, its each utility. No new smooth pavement until ALL the utility work is complete.

Tank151 08-13-2019 02:09 PM

The road construction on Union Ave by Elm Street is taking FOREVER! I drove by three straight days and NO activity. Winter is around the corner (ssshhh).

Trail Goer 08-13-2019 02:33 PM

Most local municipalities will have a project page located somewhere on their website and if its a state project, NH has the same feature too.
See the link for what you are looking for. https://www.laconianh.gov/846/Project-Updates

rsmlp 08-13-2019 03:37 PM

just another bitch post

in the Winni forum. they never end.

dt5150 08-14-2019 09:40 AM

apparently you don't or can't see the irony in yours :rolleye2:

bigdog 08-15-2019 09:32 AM

I'll take a wild guess when paving will resume on Union St.....Labor Day Weekend ! :)
Opppps I'm thinking like city administrator !

TheTimeTraveler 08-15-2019 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 317579)
I'll take a wild guess when paving will resume on Union St.....Labor Day Weekend ! :)
Opppps I'm thinking like city administrator !

Well Labor Day Weekend is only 8 days from now.....

joey2665 08-15-2019 11:34 AM

Once the city or state contracts out a paving project to a private contractor the schedule is set by the contractor not the municipality. The only schedule set by the municipality is if they are allowed to work day or night and holidays which is predetermined in the contract. Blame the contractor for the pace. I know this from 30 years experience in the industry

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Tank151 08-17-2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 317586)
Once the city or state contracts out a paving project to a private contractor the schedule is set by the contractor not the municipality. The only schedule set by the municipality is if they are allowed to work day or night and holidays which is predetermined in the contract. Blame the contractor for the pace. I know this from 30 years experience in the industry

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

It's terrible scheduling coordination by the project manager - I've been in the industry > 40 years owning a construction business.