Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Handyman / Smaller jobs? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24523)

dpg 06-07-2019 09:14 AM

Handyman / Smaller jobs?

Hi.. May be looking for some smaller type jobs mid-later summer into the fall. Not "huge" projects but things I will not do myself. Couple things that come to mind are tile re-grouting possibly changing out a slider unit or two, etc. I've found most people when times are good (like now) they can't be bothered coming over for a day and $700.00 they'd rather do the $8,000 room re-do. Anybody use maybe a "handyman" obviously with some good overall carpentry skills willing to look at a $800 or $1,000 job(s.) This is in Moultonborough. Currently can't even get a returned call on a bath re-grouting. Thanks..
Don't live there full time and no interest in trying myself Please don't forward instructions...haha... :D

DBreskin 06-07-2019 09:23 AM

All Seasons Home Services in Wolfeboro specializes in small jobs. (603) 409-7981. I’ve used them and was very happy with the service.

dpg 06-07-2019 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBreskin (Post 313061)
All Seasons Home Services in Wolfeboro specializes in small jobs. (603) 409-7981. I’ve used them and was very happy with the service.

Awesome thanks...

chasedawg 06-09-2019 04:40 PM

All Seasons Home Services

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBreskin (Post 313061)

Paul and his wife are great. They do it the old fashion way. Making sure they please their clients.

garysanfran 06-09-2019 09:08 PM

It would be interesting to know...

How much this Forum post affects their business. Maybe the Webmaster has info on this. How would it be measured?

I frequently take Forum members advice and frequent/use businesses I otherwise would not have.

The reliable experiences of others, at any establishment or business, is invaluable and only a current day phenom.

upthesaukee 06-10-2019 06:20 AM

Best advertising?

What is the best advertising a business can have? Word of mouth. I trust the recommendation of a friend when looking for a service by a business.

When a business advertises and includes a list of satisfied customers, I don't even bother to read them. Like they would include a list of dissatisfied customers. :rolleye2:

Dave

dpg 06-10-2019 10:49 AM

I'm calling All Seasons hopefully later today. Three other calls last week netted none returned. I was giving them a little time so I don't have five people calling me back at once. Well looks like that isn't happening.

dpg 06-10-2019 10:53 AM

Very annoying to just not call people back. If your straight out busy good for you but give people the respect of a return call when they bother reaching out to you. People who run their business like that are the ones I hope go under when times become a little leaner which they always do eventually. OK got that off my chest. :D

tis 06-10-2019 11:26 AM

I agree with you. There is no reason that they can't call back and just say they are too busy or whatever. It is one of my pet peeves. I just don't understand them. And it does irritate people so it hurts their business in the lean times.

Biggd 06-10-2019 11:42 AM

I just talked to a friend of mine that's been in the business a long time and he said this is the busiest he's ever been. The combination of having an endless supply of work and no help has him working 24/7. He's only returning calls from previous customers because that's all he has time for.
He has mostly high end customers and they are all doing very well right now because of the stock market.

iw8surf 06-10-2019 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 313175)
I just talked to a friend of mine that's been in the business a long time and he said this is the busiest he's ever been. The combination of having an endless supply of work and no help has him working 24/7. He's only returning calls from previous customers because that's all he has time for.
He has mostly high end customers and they are all doing very well right now because of the stock market.

Sounds like an opportunity he is missing out on to grow his business. The trades in general right now are pretty much name your price. Influx of work and a reduction in people entering the trades will do that.

joey2665 06-10-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

As someone who was in a service intensive business for 30 years I have NEVER not called back a potential customer even if I could not handle the work. First of all it is common courtesy and secondly you made need that customer down the road when the economy is not as robust.

Biggd 06-10-2019 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iw8surf (Post 313182)
Sounds like an opportunity he is missing out on to grow his business. The trades in general right now are pretty much name your price. Influx of work and a reduction in people entering the trades will do that.

You can't grow if you can't find competent workers.
Besides this guy is a high end builder and he has never struggled to get work because his customers are all high end repeat customers.
I'm not saying he's right or wrong But I've know this guy for 25 years and he's a first class human being on top of being a first class contractor.

mcdude 06-10-2019 02:43 PM

All Season's Home Services

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasedawg (Post 313134)
Paul and his wife are great. They do it the old fashion way. Making sure they please their clients.

Paul and Bonnie do a great job. I hesitate to recommend them......will they be too busy next time I need them? :)

They did painting, window wells and gutters for me.

https://www.facebook.com/All-Seasons...2224357905894/

BrownstoneNorth 06-11-2019 01:24 PM

No call-backs

Quote:

All your friend would have to do is set up a Voice Mail greeting expressing regret that he's too busy to take new customers and inviting previous/existing customers to leave a message. This is considerate and what many businesses in my area do — callers may be as busy as he is and shouldn't have to waste their time waiting for a reply that isn't going to happen.

Outdoorsman 06-11-2019 03:04 PM

I did not bother reading this thread after a certain point....

Same problem last year too....

Of course I need approval before I can...... NVM

Biggd 06-11-2019 04:16 PM

I do all my own work. I got screwed by one roofing contractor years ago and it took me 4 years to get my money back. If I was retired I would take on small jobs because no one wants to do them today.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

DBreskin 06-11-2019 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 313242)
If I was retired I would take on small jobs because no one wants to do them today.

That’s not true; see the second post in this thread.

djwade4 06-12-2019 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpg (Post 313059)
Hi.. May be looking for some smaller type jobs mid-later summer into the fall. Not "huge" projects but things I will not do myself. Couple things that come to mind are tile re-grouting possibly changing out a slider unit or two, etc. I've found most people when times are good (like now) they can't be bothered coming over for a day and $700.00 they'd rather do the $8,000 room re-do. Anybody use maybe a "handyman" obviously with some good overall carpentry skills willing to look at a $800 or $1,000 job(s.) This is in Moultonborough. Currently can't even get a returned call on a bath re-grouting. Thanks..

Don't live there full time and no interest in trying myself Please don't forward instructions...haha... :D

Good morning. My name is Doug Wade. I’m a contractor/ handyman, that does these type of jobs. I’ve been doing them all the years in business. Witch is 30 some odd years. Please call and I will respond and will give you a quote. I hear every day the comments you raised about finding contractors. It’s sad but true. Thanks 603-770-3677

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

dpg 06-12-2019 06:09 PM

Unfortunately still waiting to be impressed by All Seasons no call back yet. :rolleye1:

MAXUM 06-14-2019 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 313242)
I do all my own work. I got screwed by one roofing contractor years ago and it took me 4 years to get my money back. If I was retired I would take on small jobs because no one wants to do them today.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

I do the same thing. Save a ton doing my own work and I justify all the tools I've bought from the savings of not paying somebody to do the work for me.

Biggd 06-14-2019 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXUM (Post 313392)
I do the same thing. Save a ton doing my own work and I justify all the tools I've bought from the savings of not paying somebody to do the work for me.

The only thing I won't tackle anymore is a roof. I'm too old to be on roofs now and I struggle to carry a bundle of shingles up a ladder.

dpg 06-14-2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 313393)
The only thing I won't tackle anymore is a roof. I'm too old to be on roofs now and I struggle to carry a bundle of shingles up a ladder.

Yeah I get that but I'm not the most handy person in the world and quite frankly after a 40+ hour a week "normal" job I just don't feel like spending all weekend working at a weekend place. Also, as I'm getting older now I do not have the desire to do those things I may have tried taking on 25 years ago. Guess I'm the person that likes to call "the guy" for that. ;)

dpg 06-14-2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djwade4 (Post 313252)
Good morning. My name is Doug Wade. I’m a contractor/ handyman, that does these type of jobs. I’ve been doing them all the years in business. Witch is 30 some odd years. Please call and I will respond and will give you a quote. I hear every day the comments you raised about finding contractors. It’s sad but true. Thanks 603-770-3677

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Thanks Doug decided to go a different route with this task but appreciate it.