Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Covid-19 Discussions & Information (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   National mask mandate (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25984)

Biggd 06-30-2020 12:06 PM

National mask mandate

Will it happen and if it does will people revolt?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

VitaBene 06-30-2020 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 337767)

Doesn't seem worthy of revolt. Working/ distancing/ masks can be done without being too burdensome, I do it everyday. Our rules are 6' or mask. I am sitting in a conference room alone mask-less. If someone is walking down the street, I would not expect them to mask as long as they can separate.

webmaster 06-30-2020 01:15 PM

Quote:

The proper question for this forum is "Will it happen and if it does will people in the Lakes Region revolt?"

TheTimeTraveler 06-30-2020 01:17 PM

Quote:

Whether or not people will revolt is questionable, however I believe that those who make the correct decision will wear a mask to protect their own health and maybe the health of others.

The best advocate for mask wearing is your own self. You either elect to wear it or elect not to wear it and roll the dice.....

jbolty 06-30-2020 01:46 PM

I fail to see anything to gain from any more mask wearing threads.

Biggd 06-30-2020 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 337773)
The proper question for this forum is "Will it happen and if it does will people in the Lakes Region revolt?"

Maybe you should change the title of this category to Covid 19 in the lakes region only. I personally don't have any problem wearing a mask if need be but I see many on here see it as an intruition on their civil rights. Politics aside,
just wondering if they will comply with a National mandate or not.

webmaster 06-30-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 337778)
Maybe you should change the title of this category to Covid 19 in the lakes region only

Since this site is intended to be 100% dedicated to Lakes Region issues and activities I thought that would be assumed, especially by long-time members. Do I also need to rename the other forums to "Boating in the Lakes Region", "Restaurants in the Lakes Region", "Home Maintenance in the Lakes Region", etc?

ishoot308 06-30-2020 02:43 PM

Hypothetical = Useless

Honestly this thread should be deleted. It’s a hypothetical question that was only started to start controversy....

Just my opinion

Dan

Biggd 06-30-2020 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 337785)
Since this site is intended to be 100% dedicated to Lakes Region issues and activities I thought that would be assumed, especially by long-time members. Do I also need to rename the other forums to "Boating in the Lakes Region", "Restaurants in the Lakes Region", Home Maintenance in the Lakes Region", etc?

I'm just being a PITA. [emoji23]

Major 06-30-2020 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 337773)

Judging by observation, the Lakes Region has already revolted! I don't see a lot of mask wearing when I'm out and about.

Bigstan 06-30-2020 03:13 PM

A better question...

Is what if we see a slight surge and follow in the shadow of other states - and everything gets shut all the way down again ?

Then what, another 90 days of nothing open and takeout only ?

Biggd 06-30-2020 03:20 PM

The places I have frequented it's been 50/50. Mostly staff but customers have them and put them on as needed.

Garcia 06-30-2020 03:40 PM

I don't like wearing a mask, but...

Doing nothing is not an option that is palatable to the majority, so that is not a viable answer. Staying home indefinitely is not an option. So, if wearing a mask helps, which seems to be the case (even VP Pence is encouraging masks), and being careful to maintain distance, whatever distance is deemed both effective and sustainable, then I'll do it. I realize the mask is providing limited protection for me, but by all accounts does help minimize me spreading it to others. I don't care whether I'm being a sheep, whether it is Constitutional, or how I look. I want the virus to go away.

If people can offer a more effective way of minimizing the spread than wearing masks and maintaining distance, please share. If not, please put on a mask before going into a public place and when in crowds. Masks aren't effective if only 50% of the population wears them.

I'm open to other science based solutions.

As to The Lakes Region, I liked the sign at Heaths (hardware) - basically it said out of respect for the employees, please wear a mask. Everyone except one person was doing so.

Seaplane Pilot 06-30-2020 03:53 PM

If it happens, I will not wear a mask (in the Lakes Region), and if confronted by anyone (in the Lakes Region), I will speak only the following two words (in the Lakes Region): “MEDICAL EXEMPTION”.

Case closed.....

Major 06-30-2020 04:05 PM

I'm a numbers guy, and here are the relevant numbers to me --

Deaths per 1,000,000
New York - 1,652
New Jersey - 1,706
Massachusetts - 1,174
Georgia - 264
Florida - 163
Texas - 85
New Hampshire - 270

Deaths and hospitalizations are decreasing. Based on the numbers we (the Lakes Region) should be opened up full throttle, no masks, no social distancing. (People in the Lakes Region aren't really adhering to these anyway.) Deaths in Belknap and Carroll counties are microscopic. We're ready to work and enjoy the summer. It seems that we have figured out that we need to protect our elderly and morbidly obese, while the rest of us can develop a heard immunity to get this thing over with. If you are elderly or obese or have a loved one who is, the responsibility is yours to protect yourself. Other places, e.g., NY, NJ and Mass, may have to take a different approach.

Major 06-30-2020 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot (Post 337799)
If it happens, I will not wear a mask (in the Lakes Region), and if confronted by anyone (in the Lakes Region), I will speak only the following two words (in the Lakes Region): “MEDICAL EXEMPTION”.

Case closed.....

Hopefully, you haven't been confronted. I'd have a two other words for the person. Thankfully, no one has confronted me. The way I think of it, they have the right to think what they want and think less of me, and I have the right to think what I want and think less of them. If people want masks, we should use the democratic process and vote on it, like other things. And that has been the problem with this so-called crisis. The 40,000,000 plus who are out of work and the tens of thousands of small business owners who have lost their businesses, had no vote on this nonsense.

Seaplane Pilot 06-30-2020 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 337804)
Hopefully, you haven't been confronted. I'd have a two other words for the person. Thankfully, no one has confronted me. The way I think of it, they have the right to think what they want and think less of me, and I have the right to think what I want and think less of them. If people want masks, we should use the democratic process and vote on it, like other things. And that has been the problem with this so-called crisis. The 40,000,000 plus who are out of work and the tens of thousands of small business owners who have lost their businesses, had no vote on this nonsense.

Hi Major,

No, I have not had anyone confront or say anything to me. Like you, I’d have 2 different words for anyone that would be stupid enough to confront me. I was referring to any so-called “official” that would confront anyone if some kind of BS mandate were to be implemented. You’ll hear me screaming “MEDICAL EXEMPTION”!

Major 06-30-2020 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot (Post 337805)
Hi Major,

No, I have not had anyone confront or say anything to me. Like you, I’d have 2 different words for anyone that would be stupid enough to confront me. I was referring to any so-called “official” that would confront anyone if some kind of BS mandate were to be implemented. You’ll hear me screaming “MEDICAL EXEMPTION”!

Or, "I have asthma!" As I'm smoking a cigar!

Biggd 06-30-2020 04:23 PM

As expected, these are the two I expected to revolt.🤣

thinkxingu 06-30-2020 04:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 337807)
As expected, these are the two I expected to revolt.[emoji1787]

Hahaha!!!

*This is not so much a political statement as just sharing a funny, applicable, meme.Attachment 16161

FlyingScot 06-30-2020 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 337803)
I'm a numbers guy, and here are the relevant numbers to me --

Deaths per 1,000,000
New York - 1,652
New Jersey - 1,706
Massachusetts - 1,174
Georgia - 264
Florida - 163
Texas - 85
New Hampshire - 270

Deaths and hospitalizations are decreasing. Based on the numbers we (the Lakes Region) should be opened up full throttle, no masks, no social distancing. (People in the Lakes Region aren't really adhering to these anyway.) Deaths in Belknap and Carroll counties are microscopic. We're ready to work and enjoy the summer. It seems that we have figured out that we need to protect our elderly and morbidly obese, while the rest of us can develop a heard immunity to get this thing over with. If you are elderly or obese or have a loved one who is, the responsibility is yours to protect yourself. Other places, e.g., NY, NJ and Mass, may have to take a different approach.

ROFL that you're a numbers guy...

But if I take the numbers you've presented as correct/meaningful, you seem to be asserting that NH should open full throttle even as places with numbers that you've quoted as better--Florida and Texas, both governed by Trump minions--are now in the process of reversing their full throttle openings.

So I'm going to go way out on a limb, and assert your numbers are an incomplete picture. I think the Governor is doing a great job for the Lakes

Major 06-30-2020 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 337810)
ROFL that you're a numbers guy...

But if I take the numbers you've presented as correct/meaningful, you seem to be asserting that NH should open full throttle even as places with numbers that you've quoted as better--Florida and Texas, both governed by Trump minions--are now in the process of reversing their full throttle openings.

So I'm going to go way out on a limb, and assert your numbers are an incomplete picture. I think the Governor is doing a great job for the Lakes

The ONLY reason why Florida and Texas may be reversing their respective courses is because it has gotten political. Much like the situation Trump was in when this nonsense first occurred.

Biggd 06-30-2020 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 337811)
The ONLY reason why Florida and Texas may be reversing their respective courses is because it has gotten political. Much like the situation Trump was in when this nonsense first occurred.

Their reopening up earlier than guidelines recommended was political so there's no reason to think that any move they make isn't politically based.

Seaplane Pilot 06-30-2020 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 337807)
As expected, these are the two I expected to revolt.🤣

Glad we didn’t let you down.

FlyingScot 06-30-2020 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 337811)

Trying to keep this focused on the Lakes, but you're really making me hurt from the laughter. The Governors of Texas and Florida have been hailed by our President as strong leaders in Republican states. They do not need to fold to anyone other than hard line right wing voters (like you). You are advocating a plan for us that is completely out of touch with reality.

Winilyme 06-30-2020 05:46 PM

Round and round

Round and round this conversation goes
Where it will end nobody knows

Biggd 06-30-2020 05:50 PM

Golman Sacks says that a mask mandate would save the economy a 5% hit.