Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Local source for cutlery... (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27495)

garysanfran 09-24-2021 04:17 PM

Local source for cutlery...

I need to update my kitchen knives and would like to keep the purchase local. Any suggestions for high quality stuff?

fatlazyless 09-24-2021 05:39 PM

Kohl's in Tilton, behind the Lowe's, looks like the best bet for a set of reasonably priced, high quality kitchen knives suitable for a mega-mega-mega-multi million dollar, LAKE WINNIPESAUKEE waterfront home!

Go to www.kohls.com and enter "kitchen knives." ...... highest quality ...... happens at Kohl's! ..... and then ...... there's always Walmart or Ocean State Job Lot or the local thrift store for economy minded, Lake Winnipesaukee home owners who simply don't care about it all that much ......... super-duper fancy knives ...... so what! ...... it's still tuna fish no matter how you cut it! ...... :D

FlyingScot 09-24-2021 06:26 PM

Butternuts in Wolfeboro--next door to Bradley's Hardware. They have a full selection of Wusthofs. Also great for pots, pans and other cooking stuff

thinkxingu 09-25-2021 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 362812)
Butternuts in Wolfeboro--next door to Bradley's Hardware. They have a full selection of Wusthofs. Also great for pots, pans and other cooking stuff

Thanks for posting this. I just went down the rabbit hole researching forged vs. stamped, knife styles and design, etc. etc. We've always gotten value priced sets, but I'm thinking we're getting close to buying a "real" set in the upcoming years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FlyingScot 09-25-2021 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 362822)
Thanks for posting this. I just went down the rabbit hole researching forged vs. stamped, knife styles and design, etc. etc. We've always gotten value priced sets, but I'm thinking we're getting close to buying a "real" set in the upcoming years.

We've had a set of full tang Henckels in Mass for 20 years or so. They seemed pricey at the time, but they are still like new. We bought our Wustofs for up here from Butternuts a couple of years ago. We like these even more because the blade shape on the chef's knife in particular has a better curve for a rocking cut. Both brands excellent--but make sure to get their full-tang versions, not the low or midpriced.

If you go to Butternuts, the high end full-tang knives are behind the cash register. The value-priced (some misleadingly stamped with a high-end name) are hanging on the main wall.

I also recommend a Chef's Choice electric sharpener. This will maintain an almost professional edge with minimal effort and no skill or patience required. We use ours 2X/year.

thinkxingu 09-25-2021 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 362830)
We've had a set of full tang Henckels in Mass for 20 years or so. They seemed pricey at the time, but they are still like new. We bought our Wustofs for up here from Butternuts a couple of years ago. We like these even more because the blade shape on the chef's knife in particular has a better curve for a rocking cut. Both brands excellent--but make sure to get their full-tang versions, not the low or midpriced.

If you go to Butternuts, the high end full-tang knives are behind the cash register. The value-priced (some misleadingly stamped with a high-end name) are hanging on the main wall.

I also recommend a Chef's Choice electric sharpener. This will maintain an almost professional edge with minimal effort and no skill or patience required. We use ours 2X/year.

I've not looked at pricing—how much are you talking about?

FlyingScot 09-25-2021 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 362837)

My wife bought the Wustofs as a gift to me, but I believe a classic full-tang Wusthof or Henckel chef's knife is about $150. So maybe $500-$700 for a full set with a block? (plus the aforementioned sharpener) I do not know if Butternuts has full sets in stock (usually less $/knife), but they are across the street from Bailey's Bubble ;)

FLL is now thinking he could get 10 knives, a salad bowl, and a swim noodle for $150, and that's fair. But $150 for an excellent lifetime tool used every day is a great value too.

Newbiesaukee 09-25-2021 11:04 AM

I do all the cooking and have most of the brand name high end German and French knives as well as Global, a Japanese Company. I realize this isn’t your specific question but some people would like to purchase American made products as opposed to foreign.

A company in MA, Lamson, has been making fine knives for over 100 years and I have a set that is 18 years old and is easily comparable to other fine cutlery. I just checked their Website and the selection has gotten more confusing but you might want to check it out. The small kitchen store in Meredith did carry them, but is out of business.

I also agree with a Chefs Choice electric sharpener.

Although most knives are economically sold in sets, I can do anything with an 8 inch Chefs knife if it’s sharp and well maintained. Just another thought.

Descant 09-25-2021 12:15 PM

custom made

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee (Post 362842)
I do all the cooking and have most of the brand name high end German and French knives as well as Global, a Japanese Company. I realize this isn’t your specific question but some people would like to purchase American made products as opposed to foreign.

A company in MA, Lamson, has been making fine knives for over 100 years and I have a set that is 18 years old and is easily comparable to other fine cutlery. I just checked their Website and the selection has gotten more confusing but you might want to check it out. The small kitchen store in Meredith did carry them, but is out of business.

I also agree with a Chefs Choice electric sharpener.

Although most knives are economically sold in sets, I can do anything with an 8 inch Chefs knife if it’s sharp and well maintained. Just another thought.

Oh. If you want local and fine cutlery, Debora Ash in Bennington made some heirloom quality knives for my son and son in law. I also spotted gagnonblacksmithing.com who makes knives, but I have no personal experience with him. He is located in Manchester. I expect these folks will also custom fit the handle.

JEEPONLY 09-25-2021 02:56 PM

Good info here:

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 362837)

https://foodal.com/kitchen/knives-cu...t-cut/wusthof/

camp guy 09-25-2021 02:59 PM

Source for cutlery

Someone mentioned butternuts in Wolfeboro - great place. The big advantage to Butternuts is that while you are there for the specific item you need, you will also see several dozen other items that you want. When you walk into a store like Butternuts you quickly find out how many other kitchen and cooking items you would like to have.

LakeTimes 09-26-2021 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEEPONLY (Post 362845)

For those that might be unaware - there is a Henkel Outlet at the Merrimack Outlets. Certainly worth the drive.

https://www.premiumoutlets.com/outle...ng-ja-henckels

We've had our Henckel Knives for years and absolutely love them. Important if you want them to cut like new forever - you do need to treat them well. By well, really only 2 things you need to do.
1 - Sharpen/hone them here and there
2 - Don't throw in the dishwasher as the detergent beats them up pretty bad. Handwash after use

Other than that, you will absolutely love them!

fatlazyless 09-26-2021 06:30 PM

http://www.oceanstatejoblot.com/cuis...product/222837 ...... in stock at the Meredith Ocean State ...... $5.00-cutlery block kitchen knife holder ..... gee whiz ...... how about that! ...... who knew you can buy this item without any knives included!

8.5"-h x 4.5"-w x 5"-d ...... looks like solid maple with a real maple veneer ...... very nicely made somewhere for Cuisinart ..... well worth $5.00.

LakeDad 10-01-2021 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LakeTimes (Post 362872)
For those that might be unaware - there is a Henkel Outlet at the Merrimack Outlets. Certainly worth the drive.

https://www.premiumoutlets.com/outle...ng-ja-henckels

We've had our Henckel Knives for years and absolutely love them. Important if you want them to cut like new forever - you do need to treat them well. By well, really only 2 things you need to do.
1 - Sharpen/hone them here and there
2 - Don't throw in the dishwasher as the detergent beats them up pretty bad. Handwash after use

Other than that, you will absolutely love them!

I was a Henckel guy—-until I discovered Forschner.
Similar price point, worlds better. I have a set with the fibrox handles, and they can handle the dishwasher.

Stainless, so rarely need sharpening—only regular steeling. Best knife for the money anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyingScot 10-02-2021 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LakeDad (Post 362999)
I was a Henckel guy—-until I discovered Forschner.
Similar price point, worlds better. I have a set with the fibrox handles, and they can handle the dishwasher.

Stainless, so rarely need sharpening—only regular steeling. Best knife for the money anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are the Forschners forged, full-tang, etc? If yes, please send a link--I see what appear to be value priced Forschners, but I cannot find ones that compete with high end Henckels, Wustof, etc

garysanfran 10-02-2021 03:28 PM

Is Forschner made by Victorinox? which, I believe, is Swiss Army Knife.

Thank you and I will look into them. The composition of the metal is important.

garysanfran 10-02-2021 03:41 PM

Shun...

I love you, let me count the ways...

I bought Shun for my nephew's wedding gift...Maybe I should be as nice to me...Maybe!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

FlyingScot 10-02-2021 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 363020)
I love you, let me count the ways...

I bought Shun for my nephew's wedding gift...Maybe I should be as nice to me...Maybe!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

Great video and beautiful knives! Though it seems like it's a paid infomercial, so I am not completely persuaded. Have you gotten to try them? It would be awesome to have a Japanese vs German "knife fight".

If anyone does end up buying the Shuns--make sure to buy the appropriate sharpener. I believe the different edges on knives made in Japan are not appropriate for the Chef's Choice I recommended above

garysanfran 10-03-2021 08:49 AM

My nephew loves the Shun. I have Wustof in San Fran and like them a lot. German knives have a 22 degree edge vs. the Japanese 16 degree...Sharper, but more fragile.

Woody38 10-03-2021 03:26 PM

We have various knife brands and all work well. I just bought a RazorSharp sharpener. Nice tool, comes in a cloth bag and does a fantastic job of sharpening. It may take a little getting accustomed to. Just watch out for the fingers in the beginning.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic

VitaBene 10-04-2021 09:22 AM

MAC makes great knives

https://www.macknife.com/