Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Carpenter labor costs? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25074)

Hillcountry 10-10-2019 03:46 PM

Carpenter labor costs?

Just found out what a local contractor is charging for 2 men per hour and was wondering if anyone had any input on wether these labor charges are high, or typical for central NH. This is for general carpentry work.
The owner is billing his men out at $85 (for a senior carpenter) and $60 (for a “less than” senior carpenter) per hour for a total of $145/hour for the pair.
Thoughts?

ishoot308 10-10-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 320937)
Just found out what a local contractor is charging for 2 men per hour and was wondering if anyone had any input on wether these labor charges are high, or typical for central NH. This is for general carpentry work.
The owner is billing his men out at $85 (for a senior carpenter) and $60 (for a “less than” senior carpenter) per hour for a total of $145/hour for the pair.
Thoughts?

Depending on the complexity of the project and whether or not this is a labor only (no materials) project...maybe just a touch high but certainly not out of the ballpark.

Dan

WinnisquamZ 10-10-2019 03:58 PM

Can’t see what you are trying to establish here. Man hour costs are determined by many factors and each business will be different. One recent example I have is quotes on a whole house generator install. Apples to Apples on the quote and they were $2100 apart! Both local. I did tell the higher bid about the difference and was lectured about operations costs. Three quotes minimum before saying yes

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

MBNeckguy 10-10-2019 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 320939)
Can’t see what you are trying to establish here. Man hour costs are determined by many factors and each business will be different. One recent example I have is quotes on a whole house generator install. Apples to Apples on the quote and they were $2100 apart! Both local. I did tell the higher bid about the difference and was lectured about operations costs. Three quotes minimum before saying yes

The guy driving the brand new decked out Ford F-350 Platinum is going to have higher overhead than the guy that drives the work ready, older, perfectly good box truck. The two are different breeds and will spend differently to accomplish the same job most of the time.

Hillcountry 10-10-2019 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 320939)

Not trying to establish anything except what others might have experienced with regard to Non Union carpenter’s wages in central NH. Pretty simple.

ishoot308 10-10-2019 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 320942)
Not trying to establish anything except what others might have experienced with regard to Non Union carpenter’s wages in central NH. Pretty simple.

Hill,

I have a project going on right now at my home and I am paying $58.00 per hour for a “less than senior carpenter” but decent finish carpenter..If I needed a high end finish carpenter the rate would be higher.

Hope this helps...

Dan

Hillcountry 10-10-2019 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 320945)
Hill,

I have a project going on right now at my home and I am paying $58.00 per hour for a “less than senior carpenter” but decent finish carpenter..If I needed a high end finish carpenter the rate would be higher.

Hope this helps...

Dan

Thanks Dan! In this case, no finish work at all. A simple tie in from an addition to existing roof. Basic framing and sheathing work making ready for roofer.

ishoot308 10-10-2019 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 320949)
Thanks Dan! In this case, no finish work at all. A simple tie in from an addition to existing roof. Basic framing and sheathing work making ready for roofer.

If they have a good reputation and they actually showed up to give you a quote, I wouldn’t pass it up...

Dan

djwade4 10-12-2019 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 320937)

Thoughts?

Depending where you are located. I charge $800.00 a day for two men. Doug wade Bluebird construction 603-770-3677

Hillcountry 10-12-2019 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djwade4 (Post 321007)
Depending where you are located. I charge $800.00 a day for two men. Doug wade Bluebird construction 603-770-3677

Thank you Doug!
Exactly what I was hoping to hear...a real life wage for general carpentry.

Barney Bear 10-12-2019 07:11 PM

Fair is Fair

$50.00/hour is a very reasonable rate for this service. 🐻

ApS 10-13-2019 02:52 AM

Two Men?

Quote:

Originally Posted by djwade4 (Post 321007)
Depending where you are located.
I charge $800.00 a day for two men. Doug wade Bluebird construction 603-770-3677]

Or two carpenters? :confused:

SAMIAM 10-13-2019 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 321038)

Had a service call for a refrigeration repair a few years ago and got a bill for "two techs" so I went back on my security camera and saw that the second tech was the owners 10 year old son shagging parts for $85 hourly....you never know.

Hillcountry 10-13-2019 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 321038)

I would assume (and we all know what that means):D that a business owner would never send out 2 "senior" level carpenters on any one job that requires 2 men. Usually, there's a "foreman" or senior man and a competent, helper that can do most basic tasks.

fatlazyless 10-13-2019 07:45 AM

For about $95 or less, you can get a 10" Black & Decker mitre saw at the Plymouth Walmart. For $135 Walmart has a Hypertough 10" table saw with a steel 4-leg stand in red & black. For $20-each you can get a very nice, all wood, saw horse at Lowe's and teach yourself to cut and assemble construction lumber like the 2x4, 2x6, 4x4 etc and put it together with long screws driven by a drill, like a hobby or something over the long, hot and humid summer, when the weather is okay.

Is not just a new home building project ..... is a Lake Winnipesaukee summer adventure in carpentry.

Just measure twice, cut once ...... use a sharp pencil! ..... :banana: ..... and stay sober, enuf .... and maybe add 25% to prices on Walmart/China items.

Leoskeys 10-13-2019 09:08 AM

$90/hr per man for island job

I got a quote for $180/hr for two men to install a sliding glass door and replace an old deck. seems excessive, even if it’s on an island. And that doesnt include the cost of the barge, that is a seperate line item on their quote.

Susie Cougar 10-13-2019 09:23 AM

Leoskeys

I think most carpenters in the area have more work than they can handle. With this in mind, they can submit a high bid and you can refuse. However, there will always be those who will pay what they ask.