Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   mystery object found on Bear Isl. (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23912)

DonBearIsl. 10-08-2018 01:21 PM

mystery object found on Bear Isl.

3 Attachment(s)
Would someone be able to tell me what this may be?

Attachment 14280

Attachment 14281

Attachment 14282

jbolty 10-08-2018 01:30 PM

looks like a check valve for a water intake of some kind

Top-Water 10-08-2018 01:38 PM

Just a complete guess, maybe some sort to heat exchanger from an old boat. In one of the images it looks like it has a flared copper fitting, but in one of the
other photos it (seems) like it has a plastic fitting.

Looks like it could have been split by water freezing in it by the look of the jagged edges. Just a guess.

Top-Water 10-08-2018 03:47 PM

Another complete guess?

Maybe a floor jack / bottle pump style jack with the rusted parts opposite the what looks copper? fitting as the telescoping threaded assembly that lets you adjust it a little before lifting. Maybe not frozen apart, possibly blown apart.

On the far right of the first photo is that a large hexagonal shape that you could put a big wrench on?

Outdoorsman 10-08-2018 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 303388)
Another complete guess?

Maybe a floor jack / bottle pump style jack with the rusted parts opposite the what looks copper? fitting as the telescoping threaded assembly that lets you adjust it a little before lifting. Maybe not frozen apart, possibly blown apart.

I agree that perhaps a picture with a familiar object next to it (a quarter, red solo cup or measuring stick for example) to show dimensions would be helpful.

fatlazyless 10-09-2018 01:33 AM

That mushroom piston looking fitting on the top looks like the suction plunger from a hand operated, cast iron pitcher hand pump, that could be used either next to the kitchen sink, or outside attached to a shallow well pipe of 32' or less.

You know a pitcher handle pump like this can still be purchased new for like $75, and could be used at an unheated/unoccupied camp in the winter as a water source with a shallow well pipe, because about ten minutes after last use, it loses prime, and all the water drains down the well pipe, way down 10'-20'-30' deep, safe from freezing. And, these pitcher handle pumps have more start-up draw power than the standard 1/2hp electric motor with water pump-impeller design, and can be easier to start with a couple gallons of water for priming.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Green-Hand-Pitcher-Pump/

Every pitcher handle pump seems to have its own personality; some are very easy and some are almost impossible to get them going, which depends on the condition of the washer leather, and the depth to get to water.?

jbolty 10-09-2018 07:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
………………….. ………...

Broken Glass 10-09-2018 08:46 AM

Jet Water Pump

Looks like the nose cone for a jet pump. The tapered venture tube is a clue. Looks like someone did not drain their pump and it froze and split apart.

Bear Islander 10-09-2018 03:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's a jet pump injector. No question.

rick35 10-09-2018 06:55 PM

You’re likely to find all kinds of stuff on Bear Island. I’ve seen a washing machine, beadsprings and even a rusted out old car. I think in the old days once something made it to the island it died there. Just put it out into the woods. My next door neighbor built a new house after tearing down the 1900 vintage camp and found old bottles popping up from the ground for a long time.

dickiej 10-09-2018 11:44 PM

I think it's a flux capacitor....

DonBearIsl. 10-10-2018 03:16 PM

I was thinking pump parts. To clarify, that tubular piece in the center is glass. It is cemented in to the green steel portion...

Top-Water 10-11-2018 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear Islander (Post 303429)
It's a jet pump injector. No question.

Just asking, What is a "jet pump injector", what does it do as part of a private well system.

Nice detective work.

ursa minor 10-11-2018 08:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 303474)
Just asking, What is a "jet pump injector", what does it do as part of a private well system.

Nice detective work.

The venturi in the "injector" ( technical term would be an "eductor")uses a portion of the pump discharge to increase the suction head or "lift" of the pump.

On the cut away view below, the discharge of the pump enters through the venturi area and in combination with the nozzle induces water flow from the suction. The jet can be either integral with the pump as below or a separate accessory with some extra piping if used on a well casing.

fatlazyless 10-11-2018 08:28 AM

For about $300, the standard home owner, 1/2-hp shallow well pump set-up, used at camps, cabins, islands, everywhere on the lake has one of these valves as part of the system. You buy a system at the Lakeport Tru Value in Laconia, Lowe's, Harbor Freight, the local hardware store or someplace, and it's a component attached next to the electric water pump. It's just there, it comes with the system, and not as a separate item.

Typically, the injector valve is positioned between the circular impeller pump, and the 1 1/4" black cpvc pipe. It works the same as a person's tongue while sipping a beverage up through a straw. It keeps the water from flowing back down the cpvc pipe, into the lake or shallow well .... by pressing one's tongue onto the straw.

If you get lucky, maybe just $99 for the whole 1/2-hp motor-pump-30gal tank system, at Harbor Freight Salvage in a lovely turquoise blue color? Those Chinese ...... they think of everything!

Best place around for pumps and pump items is Lakeport Tru-Value in Laconia, about one mile down the road from Lowe's, and worth the visit ..... plus, you buy local! Is the neatest, best organized, well supplied, pump and plumbing dept ever-ever-ever in world history of pumps and plumbing ... makes Lowe's look sick!

Top-Water 10-11-2018 08:31 AM

Thanks "ursa minor"

Have never been on a private well set-up, so the whole jet pump injector thing is something I had never been exposed to. Thanks for the image showing it mounted to the electric motor.

Music Man 10-11-2018 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dickiej (Post 303439)
I think it's a flux capacitor....

or the reed section of a bagpipe