Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The Dive! (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24408)

joey2665 05-20-2019 11:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Overhead Photo

Woodsy 05-20-2019 12:48 PM

Went to the Dive on Saturday night..... had a GREAT time! The beers were cold, the heaters & fireplaces were going... watched the Mount come in!

I will def be back!

Woodsy

fatlazyless 05-20-2019 01:09 PM

..... once upon a time, there was a barge ...

It looks like a very fun spot ..... super location ..... does it catch the setting sun shining down Meredith Bay?

This seems like it could be a big success that's here for years and years and years. Perfect coordination of new location and everything else all seem to make it happen ..... plus, the Weirs cam shot is like a huge Hollywood promo for The Dive ..... a fairy tale beginning for The Dive!

Once upon a time, many many years ago ..... The Dive was looking for a real home ..... a home it could call its own ..... not just an anchorage on a sand bar .... but a real home ..... at a dock .... with parking, and location, and venue, and customers, and all that goes into a home for an unusual business like The Dive.

I just wish they could resurrect the old miniature golf course, there, as an overflow activity for The Dive? Just picture a nice little miniature golf course in that triangular, parking lot area, where it always was. Maybe just a 9-hole course and just five or six parking spots could co-exist in that space?

Biggd 05-21-2019 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 311902)
Overhead Photo

Three pontoons tied up to it with full covers. It doesn't look like it's going anywhere for a while.

joey2665 05-21-2019 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 311982)
Three pontoons tied up to it with full covers. It doesn't look like it's going anywhere for a while.

They are tied up to the dock I believe not The Dive

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Hillcountry 05-21-2019 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 311982)

That’s part of the pier... The dive is the smaller whitish vessel tied up by the bow at the upper part of the photo.

fatlazyless 05-21-2019 06:41 AM

It doesn't show in the photo but there's one or two homes down the bottom of Simpson Ave, on the water there, that probably have a serious issue with The Dive?

So..... who do you call for a zoning, use, on-the-water issue of a blocked view by a floating restaurant that has never been in that spot before ..... where, for the last 119-years and longer, it was an open view?

Who you gonna call? This is a case for some attorney with deep ties to the Marine Patrol, Laconia Zoning, NH-DES ..... could be complicated ..... who has jurisdiction?

For these two waterfront owners, it's a 62' long x 25' high wall across their water view that was never there before, plus all the attracted boat-patron-customer activity. It sort of changes the lake water use there from recreational to commercial use?

Hellooooooo ........ get me Perry Mason, no-not him, some other local attorney here? ........ fast, please!:emb:

The Real BigGuy 05-21-2019 07:16 AM

Be happy! They now have a floating breakwater[emoji847]

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

fatlazyless 05-21-2019 10:29 AM

Simpson Ave has homes on both sides and the closer side is hidden behind the large Pier building and the store fronts along the walking dock, there, so they don't show in the photo. With The Dive positioned where it's at, their long held view is now impinged, cluttered, and boxed off by The Dive barge.

Here's a local land use situation that would be similar to The Dive situation, here, in front of the two Simpson Ave, waterfront homes.

Some person with a food truck business permanently parks their retail food truck on the side of the town road, directly in front of your residence, because it is a good retail food location, and starts doing business selling food, there. How would you like to have a food truck parked permanently in front of your home, out on the public road, in business, selling food?

Isn't this a similar situation, except it is in Lake Winnipesaukee?

Flightcraft and The Dive have expanded their foot print by simply parking The Dive barge directly in front of the two water front homes, down the bottom of Simpson Ave.

Woodsy 05-21-2019 12:58 PM

FLL...

While the Dive is definitely visible from the last 2 houses on Simpson... it in no way impedes their view. You can clearly see in Joey's pic (post #14) the last house on Simpson is the yellowish one. If you feel the need to verify, Google Earth works well, I am sure you use that to locate the local Walmart (its free so it should work with your budget).

Perhaps you should visit the Dive and judge for yourself instead of a stupid post filled with misinformation. Of course their prices are a little higher than you are used to.

Woodsy

wdlincolnjr 05-21-2019 12:59 PM

the dive

I cant believe that the Dive owners would be so inconsiderate as to moor their business in such a fashion to impinge on others long held (in excess of 100 years )enjoyment of the lake It is hard to believe that the floating billboard blocking what should be a great view and should be challenged as to taxpayers are involved and I am sure the Dive pays minimal if any to Laconia. Hopefully saner heads will prevail and not just go for the quick buck and instead be good neighbors. I am sure that the Dive owners would be quick to solve a similar situation if someone moored a large cabin cruiser that would block access to their business.Personally I hope they succeed while taking into consideration other peoples rights .

iw8surf 05-21-2019 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdlincolnjr (Post 312017)
I cant believe that the Dive owners would be so inconsiderate as to moor their business in such a fashion to impinge on others long held (in excess of 100 years )enjoyment of the lake It is hard to believe that the floating billboard blocking what should be a great view and should be challenged as to taxpayers are involved and I am sure the Dive pays minimal if any to Laconia. Hopefully saner heads will prevail and not just go for the quick buck and instead be good neighbors. I am sure that the Dive owners would be quick to solve a similar situation if someone moored a large cabin cruiser that would block access to their business.Personally I hope they succeed while taking into consideration other peoples rights .

A great view of Lawrence City beach... I mean Weirs beach.

tmrealtors 05-21-2019 03:23 PM

My concern with The Dive

I am the actual owner of the yellow house The Dive decided to park in front of. Not only does it now cause docking and safety issues at my property it is smack in front of my view line. I hope this can be resolved and the boat turned or moved so this does not become an issue. It is upsetting that a two story bar/restaurant barge is allowed to park jetted out 65' sideways from the pier.
*Please imagine if it was your home. I understand people like the Dive and I have nothing against it but if it caused issues at your personal home I think it would be upsetting to you too.
Any help moving this would be greatly appreciated.

Blyblvrd 05-21-2019 03:28 PM

Tmrealtors, would love to see a pick of the Dive / the lake from your property...

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

fatlazyless 05-21-2019 03:40 PM

Believe the yellow house is on the left side of Simpson Ave, down the bottom of the slope, on the waterfront, and there is a second house, on the right side of the road, whose view is slightly more impinged because it is a little closer to the Winnipesaukee Pier and The Dive.

Maybe someone can post a Google Earth photo view, as seen from their satellite in the sky?

For the homeowner with the blocked view, the thing to do is go to the Marine Patrol in Gilford at the Glendale Docks and talk to someone there, in person. The Marine Patrol has been through similar issues many times and is very professional and acts like an unbiased referee between two waterfront neighbors with an issue, and will go look at the situation.

Rusty 05-21-2019 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 312016)
FLL...

While the Dive is definitely visible from the last 2 houses on Simpson... it in no way impedes their view. You can clearly see in Joey's pic (post #14) the last house on Simpson is the yellowish one. If you feel the need to verify, Google Earth works well, I am sure you use that to locate the local Walmart (its free so it should work with your budget).

Perhaps you should visit the Dive and judge for yourself instead of a stupid post filled with misinformation. Of course their prices are a little higher than you are used to.

Woodsy

Looks like it impedes their view from what I got from google maps.

Rusty 05-21-2019 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like it also impedes the other houses at the end of Simpson.

tmrealtors 05-21-2019 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I tried uploading photos...hope it works! My first time posting here!

Outdoorsman 05-21-2019 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 312041)
Looks like it also impedes the other houses at the end of Simpson.

Looks like that dumpster on the edge of the lake is a bigger problem.... Be careful what you wish for.

tmrealtors 05-21-2019 04:28 PM

Those are old photos from years ago. That house is fully renovated now and mine was all repaired too.

fatlazyless 05-21-2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy
Perhaps you should visit the Dive .... their prices are a little higher than you are used to.
Woodsy

.... so what are their prices like ..... post a menu, someone?

Rusty 05-21-2019 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmrealtors (Post 312048)
Those are old photos from years ago. That house is fully renovated now and mine was all repaired too.

I'm sure it looks nice.
Thanks for posting the pictures of the Dive as viewed from your property.

Garcia 05-21-2019 08:36 PM

I wouldn't want it parked in front of my house...

I'll be honest - I wouldn't want The Dive parked in front of my house.

Reilly 05-22-2019 04:13 AM

view

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 312016)
FLL...

Perhaps you should visit the Dive and judge for yourself instead of a stupid post filled with misinformation. Of course their prices are a little higher than you are used

Woodsy

you are absolutly wrong ,from their house they look over it but from their dock & water front they have lost a good portion of their veiw ,they have not arrived yet this year but i would assume that something will b said when they do

jazzman 05-22-2019 06:21 AM

How does the Dive stay put on a windy or wavy day? I wouldn't exactly call that docked. Is it sitting there with it's spuds down?

I know it's Weirs central there, but I'd be pretty annoyed if it was my house.

Biggd 05-22-2019 06:31 AM

Someone told me they were charging a $40 entry fee just to get on it. Is this true?
If that's the case I can see why they would want to stay docked there.

Woodsy 05-22-2019 07:58 AM

Biggd..... No entrance fee to hang on the Dive.

I get how the homeowners might be a little pissed having seen the new pics. I did not think it was a bid deal when I was on it.

That being said, I do not think the aggrieved homeowners are going to get very far with any complaints. Especially with the Dive going out to the sandbars in the morning and returning in the evening on weekends.

Woodsy

fatlazyless 05-22-2019 07:59 AM

..... can cruise boats all just coexist?

So, how does The Dive coexist and fit in at the Flighcraft-Winni Pier docks area?

Another spot that is a possibility is way over to the right, up close with the bow of the Mount Washington. Two tenant boats could be moved somewhere else, leaving a dock space big enough for The Dive.

Concentrating the Mount Washington, Sophie C, Doris E, and The Dive all in one tight spot could be one happy group of cruise boats ...... all far away from any residential water front homes.

Believe this spot used to be home to the Winnipesaukee Queen, a 48' sailboat.

And, at the same time, resurrect the old miniature golf course in what is now that triangle shaped parking lot ..... just because it's the right thing to do ... The Dive-Mini Golf! Mini golf and The Dive would be good partners, with the two working together, with the golf as an overflow .... and at the dock spot way to the right, close to the Mount Washington ..... there's good line-of-sight vision from the tall Dive, there, to the mini golf course ..... location-location-location ..... make it a 9-hole course with coexisting 6 parking spots on the other side of a fence?

Phantom 05-22-2019 08:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My mental image of FLL's home computer …………. upgraded last year to have 2 floppy drives.

joey2665 05-22-2019 08:16 AM

That is hilarious!!!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

fatlazyless 05-22-2019 08:27 AM

....so true up til few months ago .... have stepped up to a $179 Acer 15" lap top.... hey ..... I may be slow, but I am still here, driv'n up front of you! ... :p

AC2717 05-22-2019 08:35 AM

SO my question becomes:

with mooring and docks and the current laws, isn't it true that current boats cannot swing off a mooring or be docked over the property line of a neighbor? wouldn't this hold true in this situation, especially because of property lines already established, and there are slips under that pier that boats went into that kept them on the pier's side of a property line.

I for one am disappointed with East Coast Flight tech and the Dive owners for setting up this way, and I hope it is temporary. One would think neighbor discussion should have happened.

Seems like ever since the Goodhue Hawkins/East Coast Flight Craft took over Colbalt up in NH they have been trying to take over the world, which good for them, and I'm fine with that but now they are over stretching with this move. They wont block the Anthony's view but will cross over the property line to block others and yes that is a navigational hazard in that area

I truly believe that property owner and the owners on that street have a legitimate complaint in multiple aspects

fatlazyless 05-22-2019 08:49 AM

..... moored out front the neighbors

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 312111)
SO my question becomes ..... isn't it true that current boats cannot swing off a mooring or be docked over the property line of a neighbor? wouldn't this hold true in this situation, especially because of property lines already established, and there are slips under that pier that boats went into that kept them on the pier's side of a property line.

I truly believe that property owner and the owners on that street have a legitimate complaint in multiple aspects

The Marine Patrol typically asks to get written consent from the neighbor saying it is ok with a neighbor's boat moored out front on the property line between their home and their neighbors, swinging around on a mooring, depending on the wind.

It comes down to whether or not the neighbor is ok with seeing a lot of their neighbor's boat, out front. It is subjective, and some boats just look better than others ...... like a graceful sailboat vs a barge-restaurant?

Having it there for almost 24-7 probably makes even the best looking boat become an eyesore ..... unless it is your own boat .... and then it is totally beautiful!

If The Dive were not parked there for hours and hours and days and days ..... it would be an open and uncluttered view of open water going out for about a mile to Governor's Island and the right side of Weirs Bay ..... but what you got is a 24' wide x 62' long x 20' tall barge restaurant bar blocking the natural view.

Besides the view issue, there is a zoning issue too, because it changes the use from recreational to commercial. Commercial use stops at the property line, there, and The Dive is way over the line.

joey2665 05-22-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 312111)
SO my question becomes:

with mooring and docks and the current laws, isn't it true that current boats cannot swing off a mooring or be docked over the property line of a neighbor? wouldn't this hold true in this situation, especially because of property lines already established, and there are slips under that pier that boats went into that kept them on the pier's side of a property line.

I for one am disappointed with East Coast Flight tech and the Dive owners for setting up this way, and I hope it is temporary. One would think neighbor discussion should have happened.

Seems like ever since the Goodhue Hawkins/East Coast Flight Craft took over Colbalt up in NH they have been trying to take over the world, which good for them, and I'm fine with that but now they are over stretching with this move. They wont block the Anthony's view but will cross over the property line to block others and yes that is a navigational hazard in that area

Where is "Shore Things" when we need him? I am sure he would have an answer or if he doesn't he would certainly know where to get the correct answer

fatlazyless 05-22-2019 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 312118)
Where is "Shore Things" when we need him? I am sure he would have an answer or if he doesn't he would certainly know where to get the correct answer

To be correct ..... this should say: Where is "Shore Things" when we need her? I am sure she would have an answer or if she doesn't she would certainly know where to get the correct answer.

It's a Marine Patrol issue first because it is trespassing.

joey2665 05-22-2019 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 312119)
To be correct ..... this should say: Where is "Shore Things" when we need her? I am sure she would have an answer or if she doesn't she would certainly know where to get the correct answer.

It's a Marine Patrol issue first because it is trespassing.

Sorry you are correct her not him. I know its an MP issue first but she is extremely knowledgeable and well versed on most lake issues and would not be surprised if she had an answer

LIforrelaxin 05-22-2019 09:45 AM

Well, it looks like we will have a lot to talk about in regards tot he DIVE.

On the issue of what kind of complaints might come from adjacent property owners, until you know what has been discussed with them, all you are doing is speculating that there may or may not be a problem. I know I would have an issue, but hey if the DIVE came in and said, we will compensate you, it could bring a different twist to the issue...

I would hope and think that ECFC and the DIVE, have done their homework before setting things up...

I think for me the biggest question is just how often is the DIVE, going to leave Port.... If she is out all the time, how they dock her really isn't a big inconvience. However if she is to be there more often then not, and serving food etc. then not only is there a issue with views, and boat maneuvering, but also with smell etc. Which you could argue already exists because of the other restaurants but he, sometime a new restaurant might bring a bad odor....

Woodsy 05-22-2019 09:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So I went and looked at the tax maps, to see where the property lines were etc etc. So while the people who own the lot #24 might not be happy with the Dive somewhat obstructing their view.... the Dive is fully within the property lines of the Pier. If you really want to be picky... draw a straight line out along the property line and the #24 dock actually impedes the Pier!

I think the Pier & Dive are legal and all in all I hope they find a way to co-exist.

Woodsy

birchhaven 05-22-2019 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 312123)
So I went and looked at the tax maps, to see where the property lines were etc etc. So while the people who own the lot #24 might not be happy with the Dive somewhat obstructing their view.... the Dive is fully within the property lines of the Pier. If you really want to be picky... draw a straight line out along the property line and the #24 dock actually impedes the Pier!

I think the Pier & Dive are legal and all in all I hope they find a way to co-exist.

Woodsy

I have no opinion, but I do know property lines when they hit the water can be looked at two ways the way you describe and also, perpendicular to the shore line from the point it hits the water (I am pretty sure this is how NH DES views it for dock permiting). The angle that the property line is at when it hits the water line has no effect. I am not aware of any actual laws the Dive is breaking but what do I know :)

fatlazyless 05-22-2019 10:34 AM

The Winnipesaukee Pier, there, was built in 1925 so there's been an open and unobstructed view from the bottom of Simpson Ave, two waterfront homes going back to1925.

A floating restaurant with a structure, size 24' x 64' x 20', is much more a building than a boat. It looks and operates like a commercial building when it is tied up to the dock there, so does it get away with obstructing a view that's been unobstructed since 1925 because it supposedly is a boat, which it is not.

If you ever watch it try to negotiate the waves and wind you will see it is not see much of a boat. It is a floating building that can slowly negotiate calm waters with little wind present.

If it were moved way to the right, for docking, in the spot formerly occupied by the 48' sailboat, Winnipesaukee Queen, close to the bow of the Mount Washington ..... it would be close to other cruise boats and not blocking any residential homes. Seems like a smooth move, to here, there, here, there! ... :D

The rules for mooring boats are based on the operation of a boat, and a floating building is not a boat, it is used as a building when it is tied to a dock for public use.