Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rain rain go away (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24132)

Mink Islander 01-24-2019 07:10 PM

Rain rain go away

Am I right to assume today’s warm temps and rain washed away the snow on the ice, rendering it unpassable by snowmobile? Please advise. TIA

rsmlp 01-25-2019 07:21 AM

ice

One look at the Weirscam will confirm your suspicion. Bummer.

BoatHouse 01-25-2019 07:59 AM

Center Harbor Skating

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like a nice morning for some Pond Hockey!

Biggd 01-25-2019 09:15 AM

It looks like there's going to be an artic blast coming in Wed just in time for the Pond hockey tournament. :eek:

Outdoorsman 01-25-2019 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoatHouse (Post 306762)
Looks like a nice morning for some Pond Hockey!

Pond Hockey was canceled for Friday due to ice conditions. No decision has been made on this coming weekends activities.

MAXUM 01-25-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mink Islander (Post 306758)
Am I right to assume today’s warm temps and rain washed away the snow on the ice, rendering it unpassable by snowmobile? Please advise. TIA

Unless you have a picked track and ice scratchers, looks like the ice is bare again. Good thing is cold temps and bare ice allows for better ice building before the snow flies again which may be as early as mid week.

MAXUM 01-26-2019 04:45 PM

Measured 12-14" of ice between Bear and Sheps today about 1/3 of that is the snow melt grey ice the rest all black clear ice. 8-12" of snow forecast mid week.

winnipiseogee 01-26-2019 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outdoorsman (Post 306767)
Pond Hockey was canceled for Friday due to ice conditions. No decision has been made on this coming weekends activities.

Are you sure about that? I just texted Scott but I hadn't heard anything about Friday's hockey being cancelled.

upthesaukee 01-26-2019 06:58 PM

Concord

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnipiseogee (Post 306789)
Are you sure about that? I just texted Scott but I hadn't heard anything about Friday's hockey being cancelled.

Concords tournament.

Dave

winnipiseogee 01-26-2019 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 306790)
Concords tournament.

Gotcha - thanks!

Mink Islander 01-26-2019 07:22 PM

Thanks all

I walked out today. Conditions are similar to last week, just with the couple inch’s of snow ice Maxum already mentioned.

I will make the pitch for kahtoola micro spikes. You can run on glare ice with them on. Easy to put on/off too. Makes trekking across glare ice very easy.

Mink Islander 01-26-2019 07:26 PM

Sleds on ice

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXUM (Post 306768)
Unless you have a picked track and ice scratchers, looks like the ice is bare again. Good thing is cold temps and bare ice allows for better ice building before the snow flies again which may be as early as mid week.

I have a picked track but have never installed ice scratchers. May try that at some point. Still worry about over-heating....

Slickcraft 01-26-2019 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mink Islander (Post 306792)
I walked out today. Conditions are similar to last week, just with the couple inch’s of snow ice Maxum already mentioned.

I will make the pitch for kahtoola micro spikes. You can run on glare ice with them on. Easy to put on/off too. Makes trekking across glare ice very easy.

We were on a hike today near the lower end of the Mt Major Boulder Trail, hard packed snow mixed with ice flows. Both of us with Kahtoola microspikes which makes walking on ice like walking on dirt:
https://www.rei.com/product/890608/k...raction-system

Anyway this young fit guy comes running down the mountain side across flows of ice, the orange Kahtoola spikes leading the way down. In a flash he is gone out of sight. Ah but to be young again.