Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   When you win the Billion Dollar Jackpot Tonight (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23939)

Top-Water 10-20-2018 08:43 AM

When you win the Billion Dollar Jackpot Tonight

When you win the Billion Jackpot, what place on the lake would you love to have.

I'm sure everyone here has that little favorite place that they would love to own, for any number of reasons. It doesn't have to be the most expensive, not really trying to make it that kind of thread about the Biggest, and Best McMansion, it could be a little island with a tiny little shack or camp on it that you have always had a soft spot for. Try to add a reason why you would like it. It could be just because of how it looks from the water, or what you would wake up to everyday. However despite having a billion dollars you would have to keep it just the way it is today. No improvements or changes allowed.
Edit: Restoring Historic Properties Would Be Allowed Thanks Descant

Please Note the Bahre property is off the market I purchased it this morning
and will not be re-selling so no one could add it to this list. :D Sorry

Maybe after tonight I can purchase all of Bear Island at the moment after purchasing the Bahre property I'm a little light right now. The channel between the Island and the Mainland has always been one of my favorite places on the lake. Ozone Island is another one that comes to mind, out in the middle of the lake, great views in every direction and privacy.

thinkxingu 10-20-2018 11:11 AM

I don't want to win the jackpot, but I'd love to win, like, $500k. Enough to pay all my bills off and have a few hundred thousand left for play. The complexity that comes with that level of money is not something I want in my life.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

8gv 10-20-2018 12:36 PM

I shall upgrade from my 5'x7' Coleman tent to a new one and coat it with three cans of Kiwi Camp Dry instead of two.

The rest shall go to the taxman...

kawishiwi 10-20-2018 01:06 PM

Go ahead and buy a ticket...

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 303741)
I don't want to win the jackpot, but I'd love to win, like, $500k. Enough to pay all my bills off and have a few hundred thousand left for play. The complexity that comes with that level of money is not something I want in my life.

I would be more than happy to dispose of your "excess" winnings for you. ;)

LoveLakeLife 10-20-2018 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kawishiwi (Post 303746)
I would be more than happy to dispose of your "excess" winnings for you. ;)

Pistol Island!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

ushaggerb 10-20-2018 02:39 PM

Do whatever is needed to protect the Lake. Clean and healthy. Also, I'd get a little camp if they're still out there.

kawishiwi 10-20-2018 03:04 PM

Agreed...

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife (Post 303747)
Pistol Island!

Pistol is a good choice. With a billion I think I'd go for Long Island....

Seaplane Pilot 10-20-2018 03:36 PM

Far Ozone. Coolest island property on the lake.

Descant 10-20-2018 03:54 PM

Top-Water, "As is" is a tall order. There are several places that I would love to restore. First choice: Kimball's Castle with the Lincoln Cottage as the guest house. 2. Lucknow with guest quarters at Bald Peak. You all drool over Bahre's place, but those were two guys who really knew how to lay it on thick. Kona Farm is also in mind. On a smaller scale, I like the lodge on the NE corner of Welch Island. Recently upgraded, so move-in ready. If the rules allowed, however, I'd move it to the south side of Welch Island where I am now. I toured Lucknow when it first opened as Castle in the Clouds. The others I visited in the 50's and 60's when they were closer to their original grandeur. I was young and they all left lasting impressions.

Converting the Mount into a private yacht has crossed my mind too. I'm now in contact with the tannery in Madrid who did the leather for my plane, so I can get matching hides for the upholstery.

WinnisquamZ 10-20-2018 05:11 PM

Private Jet to start, then see how things role out

mcdude 10-20-2018 05:29 PM

I've always, secretly wanted a place on Lake Wentworth!

fatlazyless 10-20-2018 07:53 PM

Have not wasted even one dollar on any type of state lottery game in 20-plus
years, so that all by itself, makes me a big winner!

Don't waste your money.

Playing the lottery, and throwing your money away ..... what's the difference? ..... it is a sucker's game ..... just like being a rube at a circus carny game ...... this state is the carny ...... and you is the rube.

Does Walmart in NH sell any lottery tickets? No, it does not.

Rusty 10-20-2018 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 303760)

Don't waste your money.

Playing the lottery, and throwing your money away ..... what's the difference? ..... it is a sucker's game ..... just like being a rube at a circus carny game ...... this state is the carny ...... and you is the rube.

OK FLL, pick five different numbers from 1 to 70 and one number from 1 to 25 and I will play these numbers next tuesday.

8gv 10-20-2018 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 303761)
Ok, we can bend the rules, restoration of historic properties is allowed.

Surprised no one wanted to purchase the Weirs and then make it completely free for anyone who visits. At-least free parking :)

Thanks Descant

There was a South Park episode on that theme. It didn't work out.

thinkxingu 10-21-2018 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 303765)
Good and Bad answer, indulge a little let yourself go "it's a fantasy thread". Take the billion. However and this is not lake related but yourself being an educator/ teacher might appreciate this, if I ever could, I would love love above all things to be able to fund completely for any child that wanted to go to where my son went to grade school, a small struggling private school. Your absolutely right money won't necessarily make you happy. Having that much money would probably complicate everything.

Fair enough. If I won, I'd start two endeavors: 1. A company that hires people to wander the USA in search of desperate situations and fixes them. For example, I was at a car dealership getting my oil changed once, and a woman with two children broke down crying when her minivan inspection was rejected and she was told she needed $1k in work before it would pass. I'd overheard her earlier mention that her husband had passed away and money was tight. I'd have given anything to pull a few thousand from my pocket and make her year. My company, Dreams Anonymous, would seek opportunities like that.

My second company would be Ice Creams for College Dreams and would revolve around building ice cream stands that would pay deserving low-income juniors and seniors a wage that would significantly help them for college.

15 of my colleagues and I bought tickets as a group, so who knows, right? (PS I buy in because I don't want to be THAT person in articles across America!)

tbonies 10-21-2018 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 303760)

Don't waste your money.

First intelligent post I have seen from you in 3 years..

StevenGilford 10-21-2018 06:31 AM

Spending a couple of dollars on a lotto ticket now and then is worth it for the couple of hours of entertainment it can provide. Not everyone is doing financial analysis on everything they buy.

I would buy Black Island/Camp Winaukee, upgrade the soccer facilities, and use it as an elite soccer facility!

Flyfisha 10-21-2018 06:50 AM

I would buy Walmart and shut it down! Nuff said!

SAB1 10-21-2018 07:11 AM

I think I'd just stay where I am and donate the majority of it cancer research and families with sick kids that need help.

Seaplane Pilot 10-21-2018 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 303762)
? ... Are "Far Ozone" and "Ozone" the same island ?

Not sure. The lake chart refers to “Far Ozone”. It’s north of Steamboat island, and is the last island in the chain of island that consists of Six Mile, Little Six Mile, Less in Area & Far Ozone. Not sure if there’s a separate “Ozone” island, but would be interested to find out if anyone knows.

LoveLakeLife 10-21-2018 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot (Post 303775)
Not sure. The lake chart refers to “Far Ozone”. It’s north of Steamboat island, and is the last island in the chain of island that consists of Six Mile, Little Six Mile, Less in Area & Far Ozone. Not sure if there’s a separate “Ozone” island, but would be interested to find out if anyone knows.

Ozone and Far Ozone are the same. It’s just more commonly referred to as Far Ozone. The fifth island in that chain has been called Ellie Island.

kawishiwi 10-22-2018 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 303769)
Fair enough. If I won, I'd start two endeavors: 1. A company that hires people to wander the USA in search of desperate situations and fixes them. For example, I was at a car dealership getting my oil changed once, and a woman with two children broke down crying when her minivan inspection was rejected and she was told she needed $1k in work before it would pass. I'd overheard her earlier mention that her husband had passed away and money was tight. I'd have given anything to pull a few thousand from my pocket and make her year. My company, Dreams Anonymous, would seek opportunities like that.

My second company would be Ice Creams for College Dreams and would revolve around building ice cream stands that would pay deserving low-income juniors and seniors a wage that would significantly help them for college.

15 of my colleagues and I bought tickets as a group, so who knows, right? (PS I buy in because I don't want to be THAT person in articles across America!)

It's been said that more than 90% of shots not taken don't score...
Besides, the odds may be sky high but your chances of winning are infinitely greater than the analytical geniuses that just can't take a flyer on a $2 wild ass gamble.

ApS 10-22-2018 05:22 AM

Or Something...

"You won't win if you don't play".
:rolleye2:

TCC 10-22-2018 06:42 AM

The old saying is true . . . "Somebody's gonna win, just not you"

C-Bass 10-22-2018 06:52 AM

I would be inclined to buy every single property for sale on the lake, demolish the homes and plant trees to preserve the natural beauty of the lake, than donate all the lots to the Lakes region conservation trust.

MDoug 10-22-2018 06:58 AM

Jackpot

Rock Island is up for sale, I heard the owner wants 14 million for it:D

Biggd 10-22-2018 08:23 AM

I hope an office pool wins it. No one person should win that much money.

Dave R 10-22-2018 02:44 PM

I would buy a few properties on Bear Island and make one big Summer camp for inner-city kids that focuses on teaching them how to drive high performance boats. :D

rsmlp 10-22-2018 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonies (Post 303770)

100% agreed. The odds are like being it by lightning. Game for suckers.

exlakesregioner 10-22-2018 04:10 PM

I would buy up poor Bob Bahre's property and offer it to the state as a park for all to enjoy!!

TiltonBB 10-22-2018 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave R (Post 303807)
I would buy a few properties on Bear Island and make one big Summer camp for inner-city kids that focuses on teaching them how to drive high performance boats. :D

How does that go? Drive it like you stole it?

kawishiwi 10-22-2018 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsmlp (Post 303811)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonies (Post 303770)

100% agreed. The odds are like being it by lightning. Game for suckers.

See, this why I will buy a ticket. If I win, whats the chance that I would then ALSO be hit by lightning. Logic!

On another note...gamblers odds are actually getting close to being favorable for making a $2 bet.
Odds of winning are 305,000,00 to 1. With a single bet of $2 you would need an expected return to be above 610,000,00 to have the odds per risk be worthwhile. While the jackpot is at 1.6b it looks on the surface that we are there...but...that total is paid over time and the cash payout is about 950,000,000, which also looks ok but for taxes of 39.6 %. When the cash value goes above about 1,100,000,000, AND, if you are a single winner...then the $2 ticket IS A GOOD DEAL!

fatlazyless 10-23-2018 05:09 AM

..... store clerk theft?

.....maybe it's just me ..... but, isn't there like a huge incentive for a store clerk to just say sorry, no, this is not a winner, when it really was a winner, and then keep it for themselves ...... like, I would be strongly temped to be doing that myself ...... there's just too much temptation and not any controls to keep it from happening?

Working as a store clerk selling lottery tickets ..... the salary stinks ..... but the pay is great!

webmaster 10-23-2018 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 303834)
isn't there like a huge incentive for a store clerk to just say sorry, no, this is not a winner, when it really was a winner, and then keep it for themselves

There's a display on the top of the lottery terminals that shows the result of the scanned ticket. Everyone should be watching that when a store clerk checks your ticket. The clerk could get in big trouble if he tries to deceive you and it would probably all be captured on camera.

I have heard of a clerk telling an elderly person they had won $100, when they actually won $10,000. The clerk got caught.

MAXUM 10-23-2018 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 303834)
.....maybe it's just me ..... but, isn't there like a huge incentive for a store clerk to just say sorry, no, this is not a winner, when it really was a winner, and then keep it for themselves ...... like, I would be strongly temped to be doing that myself ...... there's just too much temptation and not any controls to keep it from happening?

Working as a store clerk selling lottery tickets ..... the salary stinks ..... but the pay is great!

This varies from state to state but assuming you are claiming a win in NH, any prize that exceeds $599.00 has to go through the lottery HQ in Concord. I believe there is a claim form that needs to be filled out as well. Pretty much every state has similar requirements just the increments are different. So to answer your question no you don't take a 1.6B winning ticket to the place you bought it.