Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rattlesnake power (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7114)

Webbsatwinni 12-27-2008 09:22 AM

Rattlesnake power

I just saw Island Girl's snake eyes comment on rattlesnake power:

The power has been out on Rattlesnake Island since the 14th. Hopefully they can get out there next week so Snake Eyes can send pictures of the broads again.

Does the NH co-op power company go out before the ice freezes? Does anyone know what the issue is? I have everything turned off anyway, but just curious on what happens and if there is anything we need to do such as notification, etc?

We had planned to put an answering machine out at the house so we could check it from time to time, but that never happened this year.

nj2nh 12-27-2008 01:52 PM

I understand that Echo Point in Alton is still out as well, but haven't heard anything for a while. I know there are a couple of year-rounders down there and hope they have moved out for the time being.

nj2nh

lakershaker 12-27-2008 09:05 PM

Island Power

NHEC tries to go out to fix it, but this time of year their boat is out of the water, so it will have to wait until the ice is safe if the fix requires going out to the island. I recently got a letter from them stating the policies for fixing island power in the shoulder periods between boats in the water and safe ice. Hopefully it isn't too big a problem - can't imagine they would drive heavy equipment over the ice. For something like that it would probably take 'till spring.

Webbsatwinni 12-28-2008 09:07 AM

That will put a damper on snowmobiling if they can't fix it. Do they have a notification process that we can access for updates?

And the bubbler, we'll have to drag a generator out and run it for a while to loosen the ice up.

lakershaker 12-28-2008 11:51 AM

Good Point

Didn't think about the bubblers (probably because I don't have one!). Maybe it's worth a call into them to check the status. With the warm weather the next few days, they may be able to get a ride out there. In the past, Fay's had kept a rentable boat in the water late into the year.

Webbsatwinni 12-28-2008 11:55 AM

I plan on calling tomorrow,

Maybe the bubbler owners can join together and take turns with a portable generator :D, we have a small Honda that will run a few at a time.

On The Edge 12-28-2008 03:50 PM

Power on Sleepers

Does anybody know if the power is out on Sleepers since there is no
power on Rattlesnake.

Thanx

wifi 12-28-2008 04:19 PM

Online report

If its the coop that services the islands, as you might know, they have a nifty online service that you can view outages:

http://www.nhec.com/oms.php

They are reporting nothing in the Lakes Region. You might want to make sure your outage is reported on this map, it might help push them along :)

kayakn 12-28-2008 06:26 PM

We noticed everything black out to Rattlesnake and Sleepers on the night of the 14th. Been dark ever since. I do know that the power lines go out from Mauhaut Shores. We all got power back on the 13th. The NHEC supplies the power. They have done a great job.

If we see any lights, I'll be sure to pass on the info...

fatlazyless 12-28-2008 06:41 PM

Hey there....over by buoy 3 ... I have a large, old, 15' Starcraft vee hull utilty with a 25hp that's still in/on the water. As a totally unemployed, hard core lay-about, I could run two Electric Coop service people and their gear out to Rattlesnake Island. As it was never registerd in 2008, it will have to wait till Thursday, January 1, for the registration to be any good.

Onward & upward! Where there's a will, theire usually an hier! One step at a time! Forward...march! Now, let's just get that jalopie in gear, Grand Pa!

fatlazyless 12-29-2008 05:38 AM

Like, just how difficult can it be to fixe a downed electric line out on Rattlesnake? Steep, steep terrain, covered with totally iced out snow, and finding a fallen tree or two somewhere on a 1 1.2 lmile ong island? The utillity guys are probably used to working with a big aerial tower-utility truck but out on the island there's no utilty truck, and maybe no ladders....just poles, wires, downed trees and steep icy terrain! Do chain saws get heavy getting lugged all over, looking for a downed tree or what?

No problem....off we go towards the far-a-way island.......I'll down a bottle of Sam Adams and then smash it aginst the bow....as the new-old boat slides down the ramp for its' first trial run. All together now....ANCHORS AWAYS >>>> :D:eek:!

This sounds like a good job for the Navy SeeBee team?:)

Dave M 12-29-2008 07:15 AM

I would think there's a hover craft available somewhere. At minimum you could take NH co-op guys out there to look at the problem and then go on from there.

Dave M

skprbob 12-29-2008 08:28 AM

transport

Check with George Randall (Randall Maintenance) on Cow Island. He has boat, barge, and hovercraft and has dealt with NHEC in the past on such issues. 253-7042, best in the early AM or evenings.

On The Edge 12-29-2008 08:46 AM

Power outage

Hi All

I just called the Coop to see if my place on sleepers island had power.
I used 1-800-343-6432 outage reporting number and followed the
instructions. They said according to their records I had power but
if that wasn't so to go to the next menu and report it. So as far as I
know my place which is located on the side that faces rattlesnake has
power.

O-T-E

kayakn 12-29-2008 10:27 AM

O T E,

I hope that you do have power. We had no power for a couple of hours on Christmas morning. When we called to report it, NHEC said that we had power! Turned out to be more than just us, 2 streets affected. So, you may want to be prepared incase there is no power out at the island.

Good Luck & Happy New Year to all!:)

fatlazyless 12-29-2008 11:19 AM

...hey, down at Cattle Landing...there's a MP rib boat and a Meredith PD car having a get-together...that's pretty unusual...wonder what's up with that?.....I have no clue?

John A. Birdsall 12-29-2008 02:44 PM

no clue

I don't think I ever heard Fat and Lazy say he has no clue. Now I am scared!

Happy New Year y'all.

Webbsatwinni 12-29-2008 03:01 PM

I am trying the "on hold" thing again (I did it for 20 min this morning), the automated message for our Rattlesnake account number says that we have power. I *'d out and got the hold line awaiting the next rep. I have been first in line with 4 minutes to go for 10 minutes now.

They just reminded me that I have 4 minutes to go again while I was typing this.

All I want to know is what they plan to do to look at it, take a ride soon, wait for ice in and sled over or wait until ice out and boat.

It is empty here in the office today, so I am assuming that they most likely have the same challenges with vacation time vs work effort that we are.

Webbsatwinni 12-29-2008 03:08 PM

I just looked at snake eyes and it looks like the dates and times have changed. Do we think this is an indication of power or wishful thinking?

And I still have 4 minutes to go on hold.............

DRH 12-29-2008 03:41 PM

Situation is Being Addressed

New Hampshire Electric Coop is aware of the power outage on Rattlesnake. From what I understand, there are two primary circuits on Rattlesnake and it appears that the end of the island northwest of the peninsula is without power. NHEC has narrowed down which breaker on the island they believe has tripped, and they are tentatively planning to go out to the island via airboat this week to determine the cause of the problem (e.g. fallen tree across wires, etc.) So at this point the problem is well known to NHEC and the airboat owner is in communication with them to schedule a trip out to the island to address the problem.

Island Girl 12-29-2008 05:00 PM

Some power is back

Some homes on Rattlesnake are back.. Snake Eyes is back. On the broads side the northern end has power but there is a huge tree down near the Pauls.. so between 101 and me many are still out.

From my place south the power is on. On the wimpy side of the island some have power and some do not.

The remaining outage cannot be fixed until the ice is safe. Today with the help of good friends, the power company spent a lot of time fixing as much as they could.

Much thanks to them and Russell!!!!

Webbsatwinni 12-29-2008 05:39 PM

Thanks for the update IG and thanks Russell!

Now to show my ignorance, between 101 and you? Is that to your left or right? I am not familiar with how the numbers run yet.

Island Girl 12-29-2008 08:07 PM

old numbering

I was using the old numbering scheme... you are south of 101 as am I. The middle of the broad side is about lot 145.

IG

fatlazyless 12-29-2008 08:49 PM

I don't mean to sound like a broken record, or a know-it-all, but using an airboat is just a bit of overkill. If someone really wanted to do it, one person in a kayak with a 24" Stihl chainsaw could probably get the electricity back up. It's all open water out there, from Smith Point in Alton Bay to Grouse Point in Meredith Bay and everywhere between.

Just a yak, a Stihl, a bag of granola and a 600+ volt, high wire guy/gal....and you'd have electro-magnetic energy once again. :)

Webbsatwinni 12-29-2008 10:06 PM

IG, Thanks for the lesson, I appreciate it.