Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Christmas Island Steakhouse (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19043)

PaugusBayFireFighter 04-22-2015 06:18 AM

Christmas Island Steakhouse

Christmas Island Steakhouse will re-open very soon. The property was purchased and the new owners have approached Tom and Wendy to operate the restaurant. The townhouses being built on the former motel site are moving along and the restaurant opening will bring that corner back to life.

This is great news for those of us who miss crawling back home after dinner. :)

MeredithMan 04-22-2015 07:04 AM

good to hear...

...I was worried that that corner was becoming the Paugus Bay version of The Weirs...:eek: I haven't been in the restaurant in probably 20+ years...how was the food/service before its recent closure? Always seemed to be a lot of cars there, especially on weekends....

PaugusBayFireFighter 04-22-2015 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeredithMan (Post 243578)
...I was worried that that corner was becoming the Paugus Bay version of The Weirs...:eek: I haven't been in the restaurant in probably 20+ years...how was the food/service before its recent closure? Always seemed to be a lot of cars there, especially on weekends....

They closed because the property was sold. Not because of anything negative. The steakhouse has a following (their Facebook page shows that) and if they can remedy the parking problem they should do well. Hopefully Tony will be back too. There's a lot of work ahead for that property.

Woodsy 04-22-2015 07:34 AM

Hopefully there will not be a problem with zoning..... there is a proposal on the table to rezone that part of the Weirs to Residential.... That would make it VERY difficult for the restaurant to open.

Woodsy

Happy Gourmand 04-22-2015 07:35 AM

Christmas Island

One of the very best prime ribs in the region!

PaugusBayFireFighter 04-22-2015 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 243583)
Hopefully there will not be a problem with zoning..... there is a proposal on the table to rezone that part of the Weirs to Residential.... That would make it VERY difficult for the restaurant to open.

Woodsy

The restaurant is grandfathered in...not a problem. The new zoning was approved last week, which I think, made the sale of the property 'as a restaurant' a priority for the seller.

Woodsy 04-22-2015 09:04 AM

I am not sure it is grandfathered... the article I read specifically noted that they (ZBA) could not do spot zoning and a variance would be needed for Christmas Island as it was not open (existing business) at the time of the proposed zoning change... The zoning change would definitely devalue the Christmas Island restaurant property.

I believe John Ganong has a similar issue with his property...

Woodsy

PaugusBayFireFighter 04-22-2015 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 243604)
I am not sure it is grandfathered... the article I read specifically noted that they (ZBA) could not do spot zoning and a variance would be needed for Christmas Island as it was not open (existing business) at the time of the proposed zoning change... The zoning change would definitely devalue the Christmas Island restaurant property.

I believe John Ganong has a similar issue with his property...

Woodsy

It would not have been purchased had it not been able to reopen as a restaurant, that I'm 100% sure of.
John just built a beautiful new deck for his business. It looks great.

AC2717 04-22-2015 09:31 AM

From what I read the final selectman vote was to happen second week of May was postponed from next week due to poor notice

Woodsy 04-22-2015 09:42 AM

I also think there is a time delay for the zoning implementation... I am pretty sure the zoning change forced their hand a little as far as the selling price of the property.

I cant wait to try out the new place!

Woodsy

sum-r breeze 04-22-2015 03:38 PM

Do I still need to fix that dent in the cart?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter (Post 243575)
Christmas Island Steakhouse will re-open very soon. The property was purchased and the new owners have approached Tom and Wendy to operate the restaurant. The townhouses being built on the former motel site are moving along and the restaurant opening will bring that corner back to life.

This is great news for those of us who miss crawling back home after dinner. :)

What about the golf cart.....can 15 of us still fit in it for the ride up the hill? Great karaoke memories there too. Journey anyone?

Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' (a microphone) back :D

dpg 04-27-2015 06:05 AM

Used to go up with a couple friends and we'd get well lets just say a little "tipsy" there. There and the Depot in Meredith - those were the days. :rolleye2:

BroadHopper 04-27-2015 09:35 AM

Ahh The Depot!

By coincident, I bumped into the owner at Bonsai in Manchester! He is doing well and we talked up a storm about the days.

SAMIAM 04-27-2015 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpg (Post 243923)
Used to go up with a couple friends and we'd get well lets just say a little "tipsy" there. There and the Depot in Meredith - those were the days. :rolleye2:

Remember those days well....Christmas Island,The Depot and a nightcap at the Stonehearth.

jeffatsquam 04-27-2015 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 243961)
Remember those days well....Christmas Island,The Depot and a nightcap at the Stonehearth.

I remember those days (nights) more like the Studio the White Hat and the Stonehearth / Poor Richards

PaugusBayFireFighter 05-01-2015 06:17 AM

It's official...CI Steakhouse

1 Attachment(s)
Building is sold. Tom and Wendy are on board. Lots and lots of work to do, especially restocking the bar! The work begins TODAY! :cheers:

Happy Gourmand 05-29-2015 12:08 PM

OK, So when is it opening? I heard it's today, but haven't been able to confirm.

PaugusBayFireFighter 05-29-2015 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Gourmand (Post 245731)
OK, So when is it opening? I heard it's today, but haven't been able to confirm.

June 5 is the day, as of now. :)

WakeboardMom 05-29-2015 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 243961)

Was it the Depot before or after it was the Station? I was there in the late 80's when it was the Station; in the heyday of MTV and they had the giant screen showing videos of the songs. So much fun!

We alternated that with Jade Island and sometimes the Sweetwater (?) Inn in Moultonborough.

PaugusBayFireFighter 06-08-2015 07:41 AM

Update

The work is just about done. There was a ton of stuff to do from replacing the roof, appliances, floors, etc. The place was basically gutted. The plan was to open this past weekend but it wasn't happening until everything was done and done right. Hopefully a soft opening mid to late week and fully opened by Friday. Inspections always bring surprises but it looks like everything is ready to go!

AC2717 06-08-2015 08:09 AM

I drove by on Saturday saw all the furniture outside and everyone working

dpg 06-09-2015 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WakeboardMom (Post 245744)
Was it the Depot before or after it was the Station? I was there in the late 80's when it was the Station; in the heyday of MTV and they had the giant screen showing videos of the songs. So much fun!

We alternated that with Jade Island and sometimes the Sweetwater (?) Inn in Moultonborough.

I believe it was the Depot last, not sure I remember it as the Station.

Winopt 06-09-2015 10:09 PM

docking?

Have never eaten there, will there be any docking?

PaugusBayFireFighter 06-10-2015 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winopt (Post 246506)
Have never eaten there, will there be any docking?

Unfortunately no docking exists. The old docks are now part of the CI condos that are being built.

BroadHopper 06-10-2015 10:20 AM

The Rouxs

My family grew up with the Rouxs. We would dock at the boathouse and walk up to the restaurant. Since Tony took over, the spot has not been my favorite. I hope the current owners update the interior and bring the menu up to the times. It was a beautiful location before the trees block the view and there was additional parking at the motel.

PaugusBayFireFighter 06-10-2015 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 246536)
My family grew up with the Rouxs. We would dock at the boathouse and walk up to the restaurant. Since Tony took over, the spot has not been my favorite. I hope the current owners update the interior and bring the menu up to the times. It was a beautiful location before the trees block the view and there was additional parking at the motel.

I can't tell you about the menu, that's up to Tom and Wendy, but I can tell you the building was updated. Paint, carpet, plates, silverware, glass, decor, appliances (everything including ice machines), roof, floors, downstairs bathrooms, lights, electric, walk in coolers gutted and floors replaced, bar area tables sanded and finished, parking lot patched sealed and new lines (worried about replacing parking area and having soft areas during bike week) old 'Steakhouse' sign restored and a ton of other things that needed attention. More updates after the season.
The rest is up to Tom and Wendy. They are very hard working people so no doubt they will succeed. Still on for Friday. Running and testing equipment could always bring an unwanted surprise.

AC2717 06-10-2015 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter (Post 246540)
I can't tell you about the menu, that's up to Tom and Wendy, but I can tell you the building was updated. Paint, carpet, plates, silverware, glass, decor, appliances (everything including ice machines), roof, floors, downstairs bathrooms, lights, electric, walk in coolers gutted and floors replaced, bar area tables sanded and finished, parking lot patched sealed and new lines (worried about replacing parking area and having soft areas during bike week) old 'Steakhouse' sign restored and a ton of other things that needed attention. More updates after the season.
The rest is up to Tom and Wendy. They are very hard working people so no doubt they will succeed. Still on for Friday. Running and testing equipment could always bring an unwanted surprise.

Can I put a reservation in for a table now for Friday night?

CGI3 06-25-2015 07:53 PM

Open yet?

Are they open yet??..One of my favorite restaurants in the area!

PaugusBayFireFighter 06-26-2015 06:19 AM

They are open. :cheers:
Tony is flipping steaks and Tom and Wendy are back running the restaurant. They had a 'soft' opening this week and seem to be back in the swing of it. Its good to see a crowd in the old place.
Tonight is the official grand re-opening!

Greene's Basin Girl 06-26-2015 11:59 AM

I drove by Wednesday night and the parking lot was full!

PaugusBayFireFighter 06-26-2015 01:01 PM

Just saw the sign 'Lobster and Steamers' Open at 4
Make a reservation!

sum-r breeze 06-27-2015 09:22 AM

Going tonight!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter (Post 247520)
Just saw the sign 'Lobster and Steamers' Open at 4
Make a reservation!

We have plans to try the new Christmas Island Steak House tonight with a group. This crew might meld into a much larger group if the text messages are all true about who is coming. (That's you PBFF):D Can't wait to see everybody and try the new menu!!:liplick:

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' (a fork and steak knife) back

sum-r breeze 06-28-2015 01:13 PM

great night

Quote:

Originally Posted by sum-r breeze (Post 247540)
We have plans to try the new Christmas Island Steak House tonight with a group. This crew might meld into a much larger group if the text messages are all true about who is coming. (That's you PBFF):D Can't wait to see everybody and try the new menu!!:liplick:

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' (a fork and steak knife) back

Great night at the Christmas Island Steak House last night. Food was good service was good too. Wendy the business owner came over to our table and sat to chat with us for a bit. The restaurant was full and there was a 30 to 45 minute wait by the time we left. We wish them the best for a successful re-launch of a well known Lakes Region dining destination.

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back

thinkxingu 06-28-2015 03:04 PM

Hadn't seen this thread yet when we stopped by Wednesday--I went in and asked to see a menu as I'm unfamiliar with the place. Person being counter seemed a bit put-off by my request when I heard a couple leaving talking to him about less-than-stellar steak. Person's response was, "well, try again--steak can vary." Wasn't thrilled with the set of events, so we took off.

Because it was getting late, however, everything was closing on our ride back to Moultonborough except for the Frog Tavern in Meredith, which we were VERY happy with. But that's another thread!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Bumble2249 06-28-2015 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 247578)
Hadn't seen this thread yet when we stopped by Wednesday--I went in and asked to see a menu as I'm unfamiliar with the place. Person being counter seemed a bit put-off by my request when I heard a couple leaving talking to him about less-than-stellar steak. Person's response was, "well, try again--steak can vary." Wasn't thrilled with the set of events, so we took off.

Because it was getting late, however, everything was closing on our ride back to Moultonborough except for the Frog Tavern in Meredith, which we were VERY happy with. But that's another thread!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Well......sometimes you miss out on a great opportunity and sometimes you miss out on a great opportunity! [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sailor Jerry 07-05-2015 09:28 AM

X-Mas island steak house

Visited there on the 4th for dinner. Service was excellent as was the food. The prime rib was great and the apps were spot on. I would recommend to all.

AC2717 07-06-2015 07:49 AM

had dinner there on July 4th right at about 4:30pm
place was clean,
food was great
waitstaff was awesome
Wendy and Tony are back!!!!

first meal in a long time, I did not mind forking money over for!!!

hutch42 07-19-2015 02:36 PM

Glad to here it...

Great to see an old Laconia establishment coming back to life. We moved into
the first condo that opened in the Four Seasons (old Peyton Place Motel) in 1968. So ate there frequently. An old friend, Terry Langford played some
memorable gigs at the place. Great bar in the basement. Have been gone out
of the area for 30 years, still try and get back every few years.

jbolty 07-20-2015 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hutch42 (Post 248703)
Great to see an old Laconia establishment coming back to life. We moved into
the first condo that opened in the Four Seasons (old Peyton Place Motel) in 1968. So ate there frequently. An old friend, Terry Langford played some
memorable gigs at the place. Great bar in the basement. Have been gone out
of the area for 30 years, still try and get back every few years.

Wow, that's going back. My parents used to go there for Terry Langford in the many, many, many years ago A handful of times they could not get a baby sitter and left me in the lobby to watch TV for a couple hours.

WINNOCTURN 07-22-2015 05:01 PM

Telephone Number online NG

Tried a web search and found what must be the old number. The number that does go through is 603-527-8116.

They need to do a goggle search as there multiple site saying they are permanently closed.

When I got through on this number I made them a wear of this.

Going to give them a try tonight.

polarisman14 07-27-2015 06:50 AM

Do they still have a function room? Looking to recommend a restaurant for the company Christmas party this year after a disappointing performance by Patrick's last year. We did Christmas Island a couple years ago and were happy with the food and the fact that they had other entertainment (bar and pool tables downstairs).

polarisman14 08-13-2015 06:52 AM

^^Anyone have any information about a function room? They don't appear to have a website other than Facebook.

Major 08-13-2015 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polarisman14 (Post 250055)
^^Anyone have any information about a function room? They don't appear to have a website other than Facebook.

They do have a function room. We had an event there last Saturday night. The food was really, really good. Chicken parm, baked haddock and prime rib, with roasted red potatos and a veggie mix. Call Wendy at 527-8116.

polarisman14 08-14-2015 05:10 AM

Thank you. Do they still have pool tables and a makeshift/separate bar like they had downstairs in the old restaurant? I'll forward the number on to the powers that be.

Major 08-14-2015 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polarisman14 (Post 250110)
Thank you. Do they still have pool tables and a makeshift/separate bar like they had downstairs in the old restaurant? I'll forward the number on to the powers that be.

They definitely have the same bar downstairs. I didn't notice a pool table, but I didn't go into that part of the function room. The pool table that was "upstairs" is still there.

PaugusBayFireFighter 08-14-2015 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 250120)
They definitely have the same bar downstairs. I didn't notice a pool table, but I didn't go into that part of the function room. The pool table that was "upstairs" is still there.

There used to be other tables in the lounge but they were removed during the recent rehab of the building. As stated above, the table in the lounge was kept.

Waterbaby 08-27-2015 09:23 PM

station then depot

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpg (Post 246469)

dpg - it was the station before it was the depot, but...... that's a different thread!

GodSmile 09-06-2015 06:41 AM

Great venue

We had dinner there a couple of times while on vacation; both times it was great. Found out they only offer lobster on weekends, so went back for one and was not disappointed! We will be regular customers.

Top-Water 10-11-2018 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WakeboardMom (Post 245744)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpg (Post 246469)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waterbaby (Post 250806)
dpg - it was the station before it was the depot, but...... that's a different thread!

It was the Depot first 1980 to 1982 ish Then Meredith Station after, I worked there in 1981 - 1982 then at his other club he opened up in Florida after he lost interest (just put simply - actually a longer sad story) in the Meredith location. His dad owned a home on Loch Lane on Governors Island and a number of other properties in Laconia.

Depot menu pictures in this thread.
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=18332