Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Welcome Home... (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20394)

ishoot308 03-29-2016 12:13 PM

Welcome Home...

1 Attachment(s)
...to all who served.

Dan

WINNOCTURN 03-29-2016 12:18 PM

Never forget!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 259386)
...to all who served.

Dan

NEVER FORGET the one's we lost there!

longislander 03-29-2016 03:02 PM

Yes ... to all ...

189th
In country: 5/67-2/69

http://189thahc.org/manifest.html

:patriot:

tis 03-29-2016 05:13 PM

It has always made me feel very sad the way that Vietnam Vets were treated when they came home. They didn't choose to go to war, whatever people thought about the war, it wasn't the Vet's fault that they had to fight. I am so glad they are finally getting some appreciation for what they went through!

NoBozo 03-29-2016 06:22 PM

I served from 1959 thru 1968 in the Navy. I was in a support role and was never in danger.

I got out in late 1968 and went to college in early 1969. Most of my fellow students were in college to AVOID Viet Nam. It was obvious.

There was a particular incident in college where we were all sitting around waiting for class to begin. Some student was regaling about his Brother..or Cousin.. or something who was there and knew everything.....

A Viet Nam Veteran sitting next to me..he was very low key..nobody knew...except we veterans in the class. He Knocked on his knee with his knuckle....Knock Knock..He had a prosthetic leg. He replied to the student.....Tell me about it... son.

Just remembering..as I saw it. NB

VitaBene 03-29-2016 07:21 PM

Dave Roth of Moultonborough just passed away. He was a Marine at Khe Sanh and was wounded.

Thanks for all that served and the reminder Dan

upthesaukee 03-29-2016 08:32 PM

Today's soldiers are great...

I go down to Pease to meet troops coming home or going over. My Pease Greeters name tag says I am a Viet Nam era veteran ( 1967-1975). When we talk to the troops after they have been welcomed at Pease by a bunch of veterans and others clapping and cheering, and having patriotic music playing, they will often thank us for doing what we do for them, and they know that the Viet Nam era vets did not get that kind of reception.

It is amazing how well acquainted they are with what went on back in the 60's into the 70's.

Thanks to my Viet Nam era veterans, thank you for your service, and thank you for your sacrifices. And a fond remembrance to those who did not make it home.

Dave USAF Air Traffic Controller

Irish Choppers 03-29-2016 08:55 PM

Thank you for your Service!

I sure we we could have a "do-over" and give these guys the welcome home and respect they all deserved. For those Vietnam Vets who visit our forum, you have my undying respect and admiration. Thank you just doesn't seem like enough....

God bless you and your families...

ApS 03-30-2016 02:19 AM

Now, as to respect...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 259386)
...to all who served. Dan

Thanks. I am a VN-era veteran, and wouldn't have reflected on this day without your reminder. :o

I was glad to sign up, and looking back, remember great years serving this country in three different lands. (And almost daily, Navy friends who I communicate with to this day). Until 1972, the work-pace was 2 Eve-, 2 Mid-, 2 Day-shifts, then 72-hours off—never to be experienced again!

It began in 1966 with being sworn-in before my assembled US Naval Security Group—by my Dad—a US Navy Commander. (Who outranked everyone there!)

tis 03-30-2016 05:02 AM

Oh no, Vita! I did not know about Dave! I am very sad to hear this!

SAMIAM 03-30-2016 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 259415)
Dave Roth of Moultonborough just passed away. He was a Marine at Khe Sanh and was wounded.

Thanks for all that served and the reminder Dan

Made me sad that nobody bothered to even write an obituary or hold a service for him.

tis 03-30-2016 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 259425)
Made me sad that nobody bothered to even write an obituary or hold a service for him.

Really? Does he have no family left? How about Chuck?

upthesaukee 03-30-2016 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 259422)
Thanks. I am a VN-era veteran, and wouldn't have reflected on this day without your reminder. :o

I was glad to sign up, and looking back, remember great years serving this country in three different lands. (And almost daily, Navy friends who I communicate with to this day). Until 1972, the work-pace was 2 Eve-, 2 Mid-, 2 Day-shifts, then 72-hours off—never to be experienced again!

It began in 1966 with being sworn-in before my assembled US Naval Security Group—by my Dad—a US Navy Commander. (Who outranked everyone there!)

Oh yeah: 4 to midnight, 4 to mid, 8 to 4, 8 to 4, back in at midnight for a mid to 8, mid to 8. Off the rest of that day, off the next day, and the following day it was back in for a 4 to mid, and start it all over again.

I couldn't tell you what day of the week it was, but I could tell you if I was working a swing, day, or mid shift, or off. :laugh:

SAMIAM 03-31-2016 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 259428)
Really? Does he have no family left? How about Chuck?

Dave lived alone and no kids that I know of......too bad,anyone that served should get some kind of recognition.

tis 03-31-2016 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 259489)
Dave lived alone and no kids that I know of......too bad,anyone that served should get some kind of recognition.

Yes, I feel so bad about that!! Does he not get along with his brother? What happened, do you know? PM me is you want.

Old Sarge 04-15-2016 10:51 AM

Very much deserving respect!

I had several Vietnam Vets for Drill Sergeants or Instructers when I joined the army in 1981. They were the best leaders, highly competent and dedicated. They taught me what it means to be a soldier. I will never forget them!