Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Wood Pellets (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21879)

Tackleman 04-15-2017 07:10 PM

Wood Pellets

What brand of wood pellets is everyone going to burn this year? I cannot find the brand that I have burned the last few years. I have been trying a few other brands but I don't like any of them yet. Green supreme didn't burn hot and had a ton of ash. Vermont wood pellets burned very hot and little ash but they do not slide down the hopper at all. It left a huge hole in the middle and tons of pellets left but the stove ran out. Anyone have any luck with a different brand? I heard Douglas fir burns very well. Thanks

Lakeboater 04-15-2017 09:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I went with one of these. Pricing seems super but cut off date is today. I guess if you were interested you could try calling them and then mail a check in. Seems like even the same brand of pellets changes burn wise every year or sooner. Guess it depends on what their source is/change

pjard 04-16-2017 06:55 AM

Go to Woodpellets.com and check out the Cleanfire Pacific. They are best I have found.

ishoot308 04-16-2017 09:41 AM

Greene Team

I've been burning Greene Team pellets. I buy them at Lowes. They are a little more expensive per ton but I clean my stove far less often than any other pellets I have tried. I honestly haven't seen a difference in heat output between brands though I have only been burning for a few years now...

Dan

LakeTimes 04-17-2017 04:42 AM

Vermont has been the best that I've found by a long shot...

Tackleman 04-17-2017 09:18 AM

Do you find your pellets slide down into the hopper at all? Those Vermonts did not for my pellet stove.

LakeTimes 04-20-2017 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tackleman (Post 277210)
Do you find your pellets slide down into the hopper at all? Those Vermonts did not for my pellet stove.

Funny you mention that. They actually do not ALL slide down the hopper on mine, but I do have an older stove (came with the house when i bought it and was told it was installed in 94). Other brands of pellets I've put in however all get stuck in the same spot as well. It holds 1 full bag, and I'd say about 40% of the bag sticks and I have to manually move it down.

That being said, my mother-in-law has a new Harmon stove (2 years old) and I had her switch over to Vermont and she does not have the issue. The stove place where I buy my pellets - is a Harmon dealer (Home and Hearth in Hampton, NH) - said that the pitch inside the hopper was made steeper years ago due to this problem.

I've tried several things to eliminate the issue, but have yet to find a resolution. None the less, I swear by Vermont - at least to date...

SAB1 04-21-2017 08:22 AM

I have a 1 year old Harman P35i insert and, although it doesnt happen all the time, its not uncommon for the pellets to not slide down.. Makes for a cold morning when this happens over night. Somewhat frustrating.