Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Towing (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23091)

winlessinnh 03-12-2018 06:19 AM

Towing

What is the best towing service on the lake?

Water Camper 03-12-2018 06:57 AM

TowBoatUS

I don't know about best, but I am a TowBoatUS member.

Hope this helps,
Bill

Not to Worry 03-12-2018 07:24 AM

Seatow

I have Seatow and have had the pleasure of being towed. Response was quick and professional. No idea if they are the best or not? Curious to see how people reply.

upthesaukee 03-12-2018 08:01 AM

I have TowBoatUS and have been towed 3 times, the first out of my own pocket [emoji32][emoji24]. This prompted me to join. Service all the times was great. I look at my yearly fee as a part of insurance coverage for the boat. When I signed up, I don't remember Seatow being on the lake.
I believe that Andrew's Marine Service out of Minge Cove also offered towing service, but I don't know if he still does.
To answer your question, you really need to look at the two major players, Seatow & TowBoatUS, look at their respective coverages & benefits, their costs, and what best fits your needs.
I have compared the two a few years back and did not find a compelling reason to switch.
Good luck.

Dave

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

ishoot308 03-12-2018 08:18 AM

I was a member of Seatow and utilized their services twice while on the lake. Both times service was responsive and professional and without any additional fees or charges.

Dan

Dave M 03-12-2018 10:53 AM

Compare

Seatow covers tows from your home dock, TowBoatUS covers 50%. Depending on where your repair center is to your home dock could cost you of bucks. Yes SeaTow is more expensive($119) but its one charge that covers everything, no haggling etc.

Dave M

Not to Worry 03-12-2018 02:04 PM

Both Seatow and TowBoat offer competitively priced plans that will not charge you extra for towing. From FL I know Seatow will go to the Bahamas (depending how far you are from FL) and tow you back at no extra charge.

For me it is a must because even a short tow is very expensive. Towed once on the lake and 3 times from the ocean.

Descant 03-12-2018 02:04 PM

I have TowBoatUS. They took my boat from my island camp to my marina, and paid full, because the camp was not considered my "Home port". TowBoatUS dispatcher could not understand what an island was and that there was no car access. Amusing and frustrating at the same time trying to explain. My son had a breakdown in Weirs Bay and called TowBoatUS. They were busy and handed it off to Irwin at MVYC (home marina). They paid the Irwin bill as I recall. Also used Seatow which was called by MP since TowBoatUS wasn't available, too early in the season. My boat insurance (Progressive) covered it.
I think I pay an extra $17 a year to BoatUS for "complete" towing, no deductible or 50%. It could be more now; my membership is on auto-renewal.

In short, TowBoatUS is cheaper. Having experience with both, cost aside, I'd call SeaTow, better boat, equipment, divers, airbags to lift you off the bottom and seems to have a longer operating season. Being a seasonal job, this could change from year to year.

kawishiwi 03-12-2018 04:24 PM

Could be sketchy?

I met a 'tow guy' on Champlain last year, though I wasnt being towed, and he was a 'contractor' on a list for one of those companies, I dont remember which. It sounded to me like a AAA automotive kind of deal where AAA calls a tow truck contractor that is available & close to you. This means the actual service could be highly variable. Does anyone know if either of these companies work this same way on Winni?

The Real BigGuy 03-12-2018 05:03 PM

I know both have their own boats on Winni. Probably franchises. If they are real busy I believe both will sub work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

winlessinnh 03-13-2018 09:37 AM

Thanks for all the support. I think I'll go with Tow Boat. BTW they have a 15% AAA discount

TiltonBB 03-13-2018 10:14 AM

Towing Option

I have NBOA Boat Insurance for the boat and the jet skis.

https://www.nboat.com

The policy includes towing and you can use whoever you would like when you have a problem. You just submit the receipt after using them. I am not sure the towing companies will let you use other towing companies if they are busy.

At the time I started with NBOA they were the best and least expensive option for boat insurance. That was many years ago so I don't know if that is still true. It would probably be worth looking at what you are paying for insurance and towing combined and see if you can save money with an all in one policy.

AB_Monterey 03-13-2018 03:46 PM

If you were at the Boston Boat Show, you could've spoken to the Seatow franchisee on the lake, Ken Factor, and paid $99 for a lake policy.

Eyeboat 03-13-2018 07:46 PM

I added my boat to my existing homeowners policy. The premium was $375 for agreed coverage of 55K. They also have towing coverage up to $250 per incident. It is an option. I have an inquiry in as to the premium.

Water Camper 03-14-2018 10:17 AM

TowBoatUS

I pay $77 annually for towing on the lake and limited coverage when on the trailer.

Hope this helps,
Bill

winlessinnh 03-14-2018 10:20 AM

Bill, how did you get it for $77?

Water Camper 03-14-2018 10:45 AM

I apologize, $78.

Annual Dues - $24
Water Towing - $48
Voluntary Donation $6

Total - $78

Hope this helps,
Bill

winlessinnh 03-14-2018 02:28 PM

Thanks, I didn't see that menu when i went to sign up.

Eyeboat 03-18-2018 01:01 PM

FYI added towing to my insurance policy for $15/year up to 250 per incident

Water Camper 03-18-2018 02:03 PM

Towing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eyeboat (Post 292137)

No offense intended but $250 won't get you far. I believe it's $100 an hour !

Just Saying,
Bill

upthesaukee 03-18-2018 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eyeboat (Post 292137)

A tow from Robert's Cove to Downing's Landing a few years back was shown as $385. Seeing as how I had towing coverage, it was nothing out of my pocket.
What led me to buy coverage was a tow from next to the shoal area just east of Rum point to Alton town docks was also around the same amount and all out of our pocket.

You may come up a little short, as others suggest.

Dave

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Cobalt 25 03-25-2018 03:32 PM

TowBoat US has been good for me. I have used it many times over the years on the Cape, at least 3 times from Nantucket to Dennis. I get the Gold Coverage so they pay for everything- no muss no fuss. My annual dues expire in January. I wait until May to upgrade the towing to Gold so it is pro-rated and less expensive.

Used it once on the lake. Ripped the outdrive off on a rock. (who knew the darn rocks could leap up and hit your outdrive?!) A very Good Samaritan quickly saw the incident and towed us to Trexler's. Without forward motion we would have sunk.

When BoatUS showed up he brought the passengers and I back to Paugus. Although he took a longer route back than I would have taken, it was still a good experience.

My vote is for BoatUS.

Eyeboat 04-04-2018 09:27 AM

I ended up signing up for BoatUs and the tow service. The premium to add it to my Insurance turned out to be $8. I might be able to apply that to any balance if say I was towed from my Dock.

kauriel 04-05-2018 07:35 PM

Does anyone use their Progressive insurance for towing or do those with progressive also join SeaTow or BoatUS? We've been shopping around and Progressive seems to be the best price if their $30 towing option is comparable to SeaTow or BoatUS. Otherwise SeaTow with Sea Insure is a better price if we would need SeaTow or BoatUS in addition to insurance.