Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   ....property taxes too high? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23878)

Garcia 10-03-2018 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 303127)
I don’t recall the out of control deficit to be one of the present administration’s election talking points but give him some time...after he makes good on all his other promises, which he seems to be doing, perhaps he’ll tackle it. And you’re right...no side is better than the other concerning making it a priority.

He pledged to eliminated the $18 trillion dollar debt in 8 years - as well as to eliminate the $400 billion annual deficits Obama ran up. So far he has increased the national debt by $1 trillion dollars.

Hillcountry 10-03-2018 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia (Post 303139)
He pledged to eliminated the $18 trillion dollar debt in 8 years - as well as to eliminate the $400 billion annual deficits Obama ran up. So far he has increased the national debt by $1 trillion dollars.

Someone already said that... time will tell.

Biggd 10-03-2018 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 303134)
He’s already done this by re-negotiating the nafta deal..Mexico will pay indirectly for the wall...this is what libs never understood. His game is playing out...just watch.

So the money from the new NAFTA deal that should be going to pay down the deficit will now go to pay for a wall that Mexico should be directly paying for not indirectly, I get it?
I think everyone can agree that a new NAFTA deal was long overdue and I will give him all the credit for getting that new deal done but I don't want a dime of my hard earned tax money to go for paying for a wall, directly or indirectly. :rolleye1:

Hillcountry 10-03-2018 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 303144)
So the money from the new NAFTA deal that should be going to pay down the deficit will now go to pay for a wall that Mexico should be directly paying for not indirectly, I get it?
I think everyone can agree that a new NAFTA deal was long overdue and I will give him all the credit for getting that new deal done but I don't want a dime of my hard earned tax money to go for paying for a wall, directly or indirectly. :rolleye1:

I’d rather contribute to secure borders than planned parenthood...

ApS 10-04-2018 05:58 AM

"Instant Fix" Isn't Happening...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 303134)
He’s already done this by re-negotiating the nafta deal..Mexico will pay indirectly for the wall...this is what libs never understood. His game is playing out...just watch.

The payments began "indirectly" two years ago, with US companies negotiating deals to "stay-put" in the USA.
:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 302913)
"can't except"..or..can't accept?
IMO "millennials" love this country just as much as other generations have.

As much as "The Greatest Generation"?
:confused:

A notable percentage of "Millennials" are foreigners.
:rolleye1:

"Millennial" Seth Rich was born in the US, wore the US flag as clothing, noted a major shift of allegiance within his party—and may have loved this country. :mad:

"Millennial" Jackson A. Kosko was arrested in DC yesterday on seven charges including "witness tampering".

(There's a NH connection to Maggie Hassan).
:rolleye2:

The Real BigGuy 10-04-2018 08:07 AM

Back to taxes for a moment because there are a couple of people on this thread who appear to actually know what they are talking about. What do you expect the effect to be on a retiree living on SS & investments with property in both MA & NH. In previous years my itemized deduction were over 24k

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

joey2665 10-04-2018 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 303169)
Back to taxes for a moment because there are a couple of people on this thread who appear to actually know what they are talking about. What do you expect the effect to be on a retiree living on SS & investments with property in both MA & NH. In previous years my itemized deduction were over 24k

Without actual numbers, but since you are now limited on your property tax to 10k you will more than likely use the standard deduction but the tax rate is also lower so you could come out ahead of the game.

The Real BigGuy 10-04-2018 11:08 AM

Thanks. I’ve heard more “you’re screwed” so this is refreshing. I think now is the time to stop asking and wait w/a positive outlook.

fatlazyless 11-20-2018 05:41 AM

Today's November 20, 2018 Union Leader has a follow up article, 'Former race track owner settles property tax with Alton', written by Bea Lewis on Bob Bahre and the Town of Alton and how they have reached a settlement over his property tax bill without it getting litigated in Belknap court.

The property apparently continues to be available for sale if anyone is looking for what used to be home to Camp Alton from 1937-1992, for 55 wonderful years, with about 300 campers and staff making it their happy summer camp home for every summer. Now, it is almost totally vacant except for the guy who shows up to mow the lawn once/week ...... and a very dead black bear .... the only full time resident .... is a black bear rug .... ugh!

Interesting to see a photo of that cabin room with the bear skin rug on the floor. Could well be that bear was a Route 93 road kill bear, struck by a car, and made into a rug for some one to buy for $5000? If you look closely, it sure looks like tire tracks going down the left side of the dead bear, there ...... ouch ....... poor black bear!

Rusty 11-20-2018 09:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 304638)

Interesting to see a photo of that cabin room with the bear skin rug on the floor. Could well be that bear was a Route 93 road kill bear, struck by a car, and made into a rug for some one to buy for $5000? If you look closely, it sure looks like tire tracks going down the left side of the dead bear, there ...... ouch ....... poor black bear!

How about the light with deer antlers on it.

thinkxingu 11-20-2018 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 304638)
Today's November 20, 2018 Union Leader has a follow up article, 'Former race track owner settles property tax with Alton', written by Bea Lewis on Bob Bahre and the Town of Alton and how they have reached a settlement over his property tax bill without it getting litigated in Belknap court.

The property apparently continues to be available for sale if anyone is looking for what used to be home to Camp Alton from 1937-1992, for 55 wonderful years, with about 300 campers and staff making it their happy summer camp home for every summer. Now, it is almost totally vacant except for the guy who shows up to mow the lawn once/week ...... and a very dead black bear .... the only full time resident .... is a black bear rug .... ugh!

Few things sadder (to me) than the loss of access for many in exchange for the vanity of a few.

I know it was probably a lot of money, but how nice would it have been if Alton could've bought that parcel?

Merrimack, where I live, has done a great job of preserving land for the town--there are three great parks with hiking/hiking trails and a few more smaller areas to recreate, almost all with beautiful water features.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

TiltonBB 11-22-2018 01:30 PM

Meredith tax rate increases by 2.56 percent

From the Laconia Sun

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...rticle-nav-nex

ApS 11-22-2018 07:22 PM

Try Utah...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 304640)
How about the light with deer antlers on it.

The Wolfeboro Inn has antlers decorating their rooms' overhead lights.

The antlers are from pronghorn antelope—the nearest of which are about 2000 miles away.

:rolleye1:

fatlazyless 11-22-2018 08:25 PM

For all the readers here who have been offended by the ceiling light fixture made from deer antlers ......... did you know that deer antlers are a yearly renewable resource because they grow a-new every year ...... falling off during the rut (whatever that is?) and starting to grow back after the winter, in the spring time ..... getting up to full size in the late fall ....... or something!

And, just look at that very empty expression on the dead bear's face ...... does not look happy, sad, ferocious, curious, hungry, or any type of a bear expression ...... it just looks expressionless ..... like a very, very icy, zombie type of dead ..... just imagine sharing the room with that after paying seven million for the big mansion..... no thanks?

So, why is the Meredith tax rate going up? Is it because your state and local property and income taxes above $10,000/year are no longer deductible from your federal income tax? In a sense the IRS has eliminated the formerly friendly middle man, your very friendly Uncle Sam, you know that very friendly way how the form 1040 treated your residential real estate tax and state income tax going all the way back to 1913!

So, what happened ...... and what, me worry?

Top-Water 11-23-2018 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 304699)

So, why is the Meredith tax rate going up? Is it because your state and local property and income taxes above $10,000/year are no longer deductible from your federal income tax?

Nope. Has nothing to do with the Meredith tax rate.

Consider griping about the doubling of the standard deduction. The new law that roughly doubles the standard deduction to $12,000 for an individual filer and $24,000 for married couples filing jointly.

Thank God that Trump's finally trying to raise taxes on the rich. Long over due. Maybe with the return of a democratic majority in the house they will go back down. :confused:

Biggd 11-23-2018 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 304703)
Nope. Has nothing to do with the Meredith tax rate.

Consider griping about the doubling of the standard deduction. The new law that roughly doubles the standard deduction to $12,000 for an individual filer and $24,000 for married couples filing jointly.

Thank God that Trump's finally trying to raise taxes on the rich. Long over due. Maybe with the return of a democratic majority in the house they will go back down. :confused:

FLL keeps harping on that $10,000 tax deduction limit which means nothing to rich people. They will find their deductions some other way.

Top-Water 11-23-2018 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonies (Post 302705)
Why do I think of Mr. Trump's "400 pound guy sitting in his underwear in his parents basement" every time I see one of your unintelligible essays?

Above: Best post in the thread.

If you read back to the original thread post and then read FLL's recent reply the two combined don't really make sense. (Including my own reply) Unintelligible, and distorted. Chastising Bob Bahre with "Boo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo- …… we really feel for you ……. poor Bob!"

Guess what! FLL Boo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo- …… we really feel for you ……. poor FLL. Despite the fact the possibility exists that you might do better under the new rules when you put them all together in context and not just pick out the one you don't like.

Many years ago a friend of mine asked if I would be willing to pay twice as much in income taxes next year. My quick response without thinking was no. No was actually the wrong answer.

Using the same logic as above, that would mean if your boss offered you a promotion at twice / double your compensation, you would say No. Because you would have to pay more taxes.

ITD 11-23-2018 01:26 PM

Here's some news, if you own a property on Lake Winnipesaukee you are rich. Back to your normally scheduled programming.

loonguy 11-23-2018 02:25 PM

That sounds like fake news to me.

fatlazyless 11-24-2018 07:34 AM

... such a nice garage door, you got here!

For the Town of Alton to make up their lost revenue with this Bob Bahre property tax adjusted agreement, the town could create a THREE-plus GARAGE DOOR TAX .... where as ..... any residence with more than TWO garage doors gets hit with a $5000/door annual property tax.

So, having three garage doors will cost you $5000/year. Having four garage doors will cost you $10,000/year, and having five garage doors will cost you $15,000/year ..... etcetera. And, this tax does not apply to a one or a two door garage, it's starts with the third garage door ..... you understand!

So, how many garage doors at the Bahre mansion that is appropriately named Long View, because the view goes all the way down to the MV Mount Washington's winter anchorage in Centre Harbor ....... about 12-miles away .... looking like a visible white object or white blurred dot way, way, way down there?

The thinking being that if you got a three car garage, then you probably got some serious pension money rolling in through all those big doors..... enough to easily pay the extra tax and help the Town of Alton with all its expenses.;)

MAXUM 11-24-2018 08:12 AM

There is nothing more nauseating than listening to somebody who is utterly and completely useless harping on those that through their own ambition happen to have a hell of a lot more as if they are the ultimate authority on the subject. It's quite pathetic, even tragic that this is what this country has turned into as there are more and more who believe this.

The truly sad thing is that most people are quite wealthy in that they make the income to get there - but are to stupid to manage their finances appropriately.

swnoel 11-24-2018 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swnoel (Post 302866)
I agree with some of your points... most communities 60% or more of your property taxes are for our broken public schools! They need a better way to pay for schools... tying a noose around property owners necks isn't going to solve the money issue.. or lack of it.

I just read in an article recently in Manchester NH , 72% of the taxpayers don't even have children! https://www.nhbr.com/November-9-2018...ublic-schools/

lagoon 11-24-2018 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 302847)
yes correct, tax based on values on a market assessed value. What I am saying is that market assessed value should not be apart of it

All of that is correct but, many lake front homes are not new and year round and are from the age of true cottages. They are owned by folks who love the lake area and have long been the backbone of taxes in the area. I have contested tax rates appraisals several times and the explanation is never as clear as I have seen in these posts.

The fact is they are much more likely to tax you on the frontage, the view and not the value of the place at all. Most of use with cottages are considered tear downs if the place is ever sold. We strive to maintain the lake life of old and value the area, the friends and the towns that surround the lake areas.

FlyingScot 11-24-2018 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lagoon (Post 304740)

The fact is they are much more likely to tax you on the frontage, the view and not the value of the place at all.

If you are on the lake, the value of the place IS the frontage and the view. If you disagree, and you are on the lake, I recommend selling your current place, moving to a nicer house just a few hundred yards away, and pocketing $500K or so.