Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Sandy Point restaurant (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23752)

Chef Tony 08-23-2018 05:01 PM

Sandy Point restaurant

I figured I should be the first to post.

This is our final weekend in business due to staffing and other problems we will be closing permanently on Sunday.

I know that there that are happy to hear this and others that are not.

Please let's not degrade this thread into a "ha ha you suck" dog pile on the rabbit

Thank you

TiltonBB 08-23-2018 06:07 PM

Permanently as in forever? Or for this season and plan to open in 2019?

codeman671 08-23-2018 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 300727)
Permanently as in forever? Or for this season and plan to open in 2019?

Yes permanent. Saw it on Facebook.

gravy boat 08-23-2018 07:09 PM

Sandy Point

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Tony (Post 300725)
I figured I should be the first to post.

This is our final weekend in business due to staffing and other problems we will be closing permanently on Sunday.

I know that there that are happy to hear this and others that are not.

Please let's not degrade this thread into a "ha ha you suck" dog pile on the rabbit

Thank you

Very sad to hear this.

thinkxingu 08-23-2018 07:14 PM

This is terrible news. I'm not on that side of the lake much, but the reviews looked like things were going well. Sorry to hear, Chef Tony--good luck in whatever comes next for you.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Resident 2B 08-23-2018 08:05 PM

I was in two weeks ago on a Sunday when my wife and I were beginning our hunt for a lake house. The food was great, the service was great and I enjoyed our short talk.

As I said on that Sunday, you said you would make Sandy Point into an excellent restaurant. From my only experience, you did exactly what you said you would do.

This news has hit me like a ton of bricks. You gave it your all.

So sorry to hear this news. All the best moving forward.

R2B

joey2665 08-23-2018 08:19 PM

I’m very sorry to hear this chef Tony. I always root for local business. I wish you the best of luck on your future endeavors.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

GodSmile 08-24-2018 05:41 AM

Sorry to hear

You had things together there in service, quality and price, Chef Tony. I'm sorry it didn't work out and wish you well in the future. This is a loss for the region.

SAMIAM 08-24-2018 06:17 AM

Staffing was a nightmare this season and now it's even worse due to school openings and activities. It's bad enough for year round business' but everyone I know that has a seasonal operation couldn't find enough staff.

joey2665 08-24-2018 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 300735)
Staffing was a nightmare this season and now it's even worse due to school openings and activities. It's bad enough for year round business' but everyone I know that has a seasonal operation couldn't find enough staff.

Seems like especially in Alton. We went to Shibleys for some fried claims on a Wednesday because Pops was closed (Pops is closed Tuesday’s and Wednesday’s). Only two people staffed and waited over 45 minutes for a small clam and chicken finger order. They said they too were having staffing issues all season.

MBNeckguy 08-24-2018 08:18 AM

Sandy Point restaurant

winnisummergal 08-24-2018 04:12 PM

Sorry to hear this. Always tough to close a business, good luck with your future endeavors.

tis 08-24-2018 05:24 PM

I am sorry to hear this too. It's sad to lose a local business.

upthesaukee 08-24-2018 05:47 PM

Likewise

We enjoyed our times at the Sandy Point this year. Good food, good service. My wife and her friend enjoyed "thirsty Thursday" as well.

Good luck, Tony.

Dave

beantownbaby 08-25-2018 03:09 PM

Very sorry to hear this. I was hoping for the best for you. Had heard nothing but good this year.

Barney Bear 08-25-2018 05:09 PM

Sad Newa

One of my brother from Ohio's favorite place to visit when at our lake.

Rinkerguy 08-26-2018 07:14 AM

Sandy Point Restaurant has struggled over the past years with different proprietiors. Hopefully the Owners will find someone to return the restaurant to its previous greatness. Good luck to Tony in his future endeavors, and to Bobby on his search for a new group to run the place.

swnoel 08-26-2018 11:10 AM

I can only imagine the difficulty of any restaurant today trying to find competent help! Especially now that the economy is so good. Good luck Tony.

HellRaZoR004 08-26-2018 12:23 PM

I think I saw somewhere that Sawyers is closing Labor Day because of the lack of staff.

joey2665 08-26-2018 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 (Post 300868)
I think I saw somewhere that Sawyers is closing Labor Day because of the lack of staff.

Sawyer’s closes Labor Day every year.

HellRaZoR004 08-27-2018 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 300869)
Sawyer’s closes Labor Day every year.

True, but they also made a point to mention Wednesday...

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/pos...0534&width=500

BrownstoneNorth 03-13-2019 06:14 PM

Sandy Point Restaurant will NOT be open in 2019

Per reply to my email query to the Sandy Point Resort.

bigpatsfan 03-14-2019 08:51 AM

Sad

Sad to hear about Sandy Point restaurant.

Is it true that the Dockside Restaurant is also closed for 2019?

Same question for Busy Corner?

If true that all three of these places are closed, then it is a huge loss for the Town of Alton.

upthesaukee 03-14-2019 11:33 AM

Unknown

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpatsfan (Post 308236)
Sad to hear about Sandy Point restaurant.

Is it true that the Dockside Restaurant is also closed for 2019?

Same question for Busy Corner?

If true that all three of these places are closed, then it is a huge loss for the Town of Alton.

Dockside Restaurant was sold at auction a few weeks ago. I haven't heard anything about the new owner's plan for the property.

The Alton Bay Busy Corner store has been closed. The owner of the property has put up a newer, larger banner advertising the property for lease. I guess this will be a waiting game.

Dave

joey2665 03-14-2019 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 308242)
Dockside Restaurant was sold at auction a few weeks ago. I haven't heard anything about the new owner's plan for the property.

The Alton Bay Busy Corner store has been closed. The owner of the property has put up a newer, larger banner advertising the property for lease. I guess this will be a waiting game.

Dave

The Lodge at Smith Point is going to be very crowded this season

Descant 03-14-2019 01:27 PM

I think in the Lodge thread we learned that they don't have a dock. Looks like some opportunities in Alton Bay, but not much time to get set up. Still have Shibley's and Pop's, right?

joey2665 03-14-2019 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 308251)
I think in the Lodge thread we learned that they don't have a dock. Looks like some opportunities in Alton Bay, but not much time to get set up. Still have Shibley's and Pop's, right?

For real sit down just Shibleys. I love Pops but it’s really just takeout. You are correct about boat access however.

ghfromaltonbay 03-15-2019 03:08 PM

JP China

JP China is also within walking distance from the public docks. Sandy Point used to have a shuttle van to the public docks when theirs were full. Maybe Ackerley's could get some diners that way too from the boaters. With the Rusty Moose also closed, the dining choices in Alton are dwindling.

joey2665 03-15-2019 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay (Post 308292)
JP China is also within walking distance from the public docks. Sandy Point used to have a shuttle van to the public docks when theirs were full. Maybe Ackerley's could get some diners that way too from the boaters. With the Rusty Moose also closed, the dining choices in Alton are dwindling.

I really don’t go to the Lake for Chinese. Lol [emoji23]

mcdude 03-15-2019 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay (Post 308292)
With the Rusty Moose also closed, the dining choices in Alton are dwindling.

Gail: Are you sure the Rusty Moose is closed? My last FB posting from them was March 2nd.....no mention of any closing. ???? I've only been a few times but there was live music and good food. I'd be disappointed if they closed :emb:

upthesaukee 03-15-2019 07:38 PM

Absolutely

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdude (Post 308297)
Gail: Are you sure the Rusty Moose is closed? My last FB posting from them was March 2nd.....no mention of any closing. ???? I've only been a few times but there was live music and good food. I'd be disappointed if they closed :emb:

Sorry McDude. It is closed and cleaned out. Sudden decision, reportedly due to family issues.

Dave

ghfromaltonbay 03-16-2019 12:50 PM

JP China

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 308294)

Nor do I. In the 55+ summers I've spent in Alton Bay, I've never gone there, and I love Chinese food. We have so many good places here in the NY metro area, I'd rather enjoy New England seafood when I eat out in NH. Although I do enjoy the burgers at Ellacoya.

joey2665 03-16-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay (Post 308309)
Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 308294)

Nor do I. In the 55+ summers I've spent in Alton Bay, I've never gone there, and I love Chinese food. We have so many good places here in the NY metro area, I'd rather enjoy New England seafood when I eat out in NH. Although I do enjoy the burgers at Ellacoya.

On the same page. Plenty of good Chinese here in NY and I love the Ellacoya Bleu burger plus the best fries!!

Chef Tony 03-25-2019 03:01 PM

New location for stuffed lobsters

I am the new chef @ Morrisey's Front Porch. We will be serving some of the classics that i was making @ the Sandy point restaurant, including stuffed lobster during the week and the larger(1 1/2 & 2 lb) stuffed lobsters on the weekends or by special order. As teh season progresses we will also be doing the stuffed haddock, stuffed shrimp and seared jumbo scallops. I will be posting further info on the former sandy point restaurant page and on the Morrisey's page.

Chef Tony

phoenix 03-25-2019 03:39 PM

Tony good luck > I hope to visit this summer

Rinkerguy 03-25-2019 05:10 PM

This thread should be removed by admin

While I agreed with the original intent of this thread by Chef Tony to advise the community that the Sandy Point Restaurant is closing. Now it is being used to further his chef career at the expense of Sandy Point and the Oullette’s property.

garysanfran 03-25-2019 05:29 PM

Are you assuming the closing....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rinkerguy (Post 308667)
While I agreed with the original intent of this thread by Chef Tony to advise the community that the Sandy Point Restaurant is closing. Now it is being used to further his chef career at the expense of Sandy Point and the Oullette’s property.

Was within Chef Tony's control?

Maybe I don't understand the relationship, but if the owners couldn't staff it properly, and the restaurant had to close, what's this guy supposed to do? Not work? Or announce that his talents have moved elsewhere. So if you like what he did at Sandy Point, the food is now available elsewhere.

If Sandy Point was going to remain open, I would feel differently. Or if he was the reason it closed and sabotaged Sandy Point to go elsewhere...But that doesn't appear to have happened. Morrisey's Front Porch is not a competitor of Sandy Point now.

So, where is Morrisey's Front Porch?...Sounds like a good place to get "stuffed".

Ahhh, can't wait for the warmth of late spring!

Mr. V 03-25-2019 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 308668)
So, where is Morrisey's Front Porch?...

Wolfeboro.

tis 03-25-2019 06:00 PM

Morrisey's is on South Main St. in Wolfeboro. It used to be Bailey's.

Chef Tony 03-25-2019 06:31 PM

Quote:

The Sandy Point Restaurant was closed because the landlords did not want to put any money into their property nor did they want to renegotiate the lease down to the point where all parties could succeed, the landlord suffer from the illusion that Wally was still running the restaurant and anyone that comes in should immediately make the same amount he did immediately. The main Major equipment on site belonged to the property owners not the restaurant. I could no longer afford to maintain their 20-40 year old equipment and they would not repair it on their own. They basically kicked me out and I took all the equipment that i owned with me. I offered to leave the equipment on premises and let them purchase it or sell it to the next lessee. This was not acceptable to them so I left and took my stuff with me. I tried to just let let it go but those kind of uninformed comments are just unacceptable.

Please get all the information before you make assumptions... Thank you

FlyingScot 03-25-2019 08:33 PM

Quote:

So your only issue is that Tony didn't start a new thread, and that should shut down his post? Ridiculous.

Good luck, Tony! I hope you keep the broasted chicken!:)

Chef Tony 03-25-2019 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 308679)
So your only issue is that Tony didn't start a new thread, and that should shut down his post? Ridiculous.

Good luck, Tony! I hope you keep the broasted chicken!:)

Thanks

All of your favorites will still be there... just going to incorporate some of the SP favorites as well.

phoenix 03-25-2019 09:30 PM

Is it the little building on the water where the mount comes in

Chef Tony 03-25-2019 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix (Post 308681)
Is it the little building on the water where the mount comes in

No, It is up main street across from the golf course just past Huggins.

Descant 03-25-2019 09:37 PM

Focused menu

To me and many friends, Sandy Point was successful because the word was lobster=Sandy Point. Next Lobster place was Makris in Concord. Based on posts on this forum, Chef Tony wanted to be a great chef, not a successful restaurant owner/manager. Great chefs do not always make great managers/owners. The phrase, "You're a great chef, you should open a restaurant" is way off the mark from family experience. I on't think there is a great Lobster experience in the area and that is an open market, if you can fill that spot. Adding a couple of lobster items to a generic menu is what failed at Sandy Point last time. No focus.

Chef Tony 03-25-2019 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 308683)
To me and many friends, Sandy Point was successful because the word was lobster=Sandy Point. Next Lobster place was Makris in Concord. Based on posts on this forum, Chef Tony wanted to be a great chef, not a successful restaurant owner/manager. Great chefs do not always make great managers/owners. The phrase, "You're a great chef, you should open a restaurant" is way off the mark from family experience. I on't think there is a great Lobster experience in the area and that is an open market, if you can fill that spot. Adding a couple of lobster items to a generic menu is what failed at Sandy Point last time. No focus.

The menu at the new sandy point started out as strictly lobster and seafood with prime rib. But I had to add the pub menu to get weekly repeat visits versus once a summer, which no restaurant can survive on. Due to wholesale lobster prices the menu prices were high so I made the choice to freshly prepare each lobster not cook in the morning and reheat like the old sandy point did. But seeing as you are the restaurant I suggest that you contact the sandy point resort about leasing the restaurant and show me hows it's done. but you will need to completely outfit the bar and kitchen area as I have removed all of my equipment.

TheTimeTraveler 03-26-2019 04:30 PM

I think all of us need to give Chef Tony the benefit of the doubt and let him produce a new and delicious menu for Morrisey's of Wolfboro. I am confident that the employees and visitors of Huggins Hospital certainly welcome a reasonably priced menu (don't forget good service also).

Personally I am hoping that he offers seafoods such as Fried Clams, and Fried Scallops as well as a variety of tasty Lobster offerings. Of course a great menu can not be complete without Fried Onion Rings!

With that said, let's see what he can produce for the owners and visitors of the "Oldest Summer Resort in America".

Does anyone know if Chef Tony is the owner or just the head chef of Morriseys?

Outdoorsman 03-26-2019 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler (Post 308727)
I think all of us need to give Chef Tony the benefit of the doubt and let him produce a new and delicious menu for Morrisey's of Wolfboro. I am confident that the employees and visitors of Huggins Hospital certainly welcome a reasonably priced menu (don't forget good service also).

Personally I am hoping that he offers seafoods such as Fried Clams, and Fried Scallops as well as a variety of tasty Lobster offerings. Of course a great menu can not be complete without Fried Onion Rings!

With that said, let's see what he can produce for the owners and visitors of the "Oldest Summer Resort in America".

You suggested that Employees and Visitors to Huggins Hospital are searching for.....

FRIED calms
FRIED scallops
FRIED onion rings

I am sure that would bring more business to Huggins, but......

Chef Tony 03-26-2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler (Post 308727)

Just the chef.

barefootbay 03-26-2019 07:19 PM

The main reason Sandy Point had many seasons of success is because of Walter Damon and his family’s dedication and hard work.

TheTimeTraveler 03-26-2019 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outdoorsman (Post 308728)
You suggested that Employees and Visitors to Huggins Hospital are searching for.....

FRIED calms
FRIED scallops
FRIED onion rings

I am sure that would bring more business to Huggins, but......

Hospital food is great if you want hospital food. I certainly like something a little more tempting.

Let's hope Chef Tony does a great job at his new location.

Chef Tony 03-26-2019 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barefootbay (Post 308735)
The main reason Sandy Point had many seasons of success is because of Walter Damon and his family’s dedication and hard work.

and he had it before everything started falling apart

upthesaukee 03-27-2019 05:42 AM

Gunstock Inn

I thought I saw that you were the chef at the Gunstock Inn? I remember seeing something about getting your Shepherd's Pie there, late last fall.

Chef Tony 03-27-2019 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 308744)
I thought I saw that you were the chef at the Gunstock Inn? I remember seeing something about getting your Shepherd's Pie there, late last fall.

I was but we parted ways. Over at Morrisey's now.

Barbara 03-30-2019 03:33 PM

Lots of luck, Chef Tony! Alton’s loss is Wolfeboro’s win!