Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sailing (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21617)

NoBozo 01-17-2017 08:18 PM

Sailing

No matter what size sailboat you have, you have to appreciate the boats that other people have. :look: I do. That's the way I look at it anyhow. :) NB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8w6AL_VlAs

Not about the Lake..? OK, I get it. But lets look at some things outside the lake once in awhile....Just for Fun...:)

Woody38 01-17-2017 08:47 PM

Thanks for the post.

Beautiful boats all of them.

Love to visit Providence, RI and view the yachts visiting.

I have never sailed and have been amazed by some of the power yachts also.

I am retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.

NoBozo 01-17-2017 08:59 PM

The J Class

The J Class Yachts were THE Americas Cup boats from 1930 to 1937. They were about 130 feet long. There were only Seven J Class Yachts built..although there were about 20 designs drawn up. There are more replicas today than originals. :) NB

PS: The J Class Yachts shown in the video now use the latest technology..Carbon Fiber, Kevlar...etc. The mast, rigging, is no longer aluminum and wire.... Everything is Carbon Fiber.

Pineedles 01-18-2017 09:17 AM

These are beautiful sailing machines. Loved seeing them when I was in Newport couple of years back.

chasedawg 01-18-2017 02:26 PM

J boats

Beautiful sailing machines. Sailed onboard J boat two summers ago in Newport. Incredible speed.

FlyingScot 01-19-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoBozo (Post 273680)
The J Class Yachts were THE Americas Cup boats from 1930 to 1937. They were about 130 feet long. There were only Seven J Class Yachts built..although there were about 20 designs drawn up. There are more replicas today than originals. :) NB

PS: The J Class Yachts shown in the video now use the latest technology..Carbon Fiber, Kevlar...etc. The mast, rigging, is no longer aluminum and wire.... Everything is Carbon Fiber.

Just gorgeous. Also a pleasure to see such good sportsmanship and races of boats that are at least approximately identical. It's too bad that the America's Cup has become more about engineering and finance than it is about sailing on the water. These guys in the video are the real deal.

NoBozo 01-19-2017 07:36 PM

Notice...

These boats have no Advertising. They are privately owned. This is the way it was in 1937. The cost of building and sailing one of these boats today is about 15 to 20 Million dollars. USD :) NB

Dave R 01-20-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterG (Post 273701)
Just gorgeous. Also a pleasure to see such good sportsmanship and races of boats that are at least approximately identical. It's too bad that the America's Cup has become more about engineering and finance than it is about sailing on the water. These guys in the video are the real deal.

These J-boats are majestic and a joy to see, but I think the current America's Cup boats are awesome and I love all the engineering. I am pretty sure they are all identical too...

FlyingScot 01-20-2017 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave R (Post 273720)
These J-boats are majestic and a joy to see, but I think the current America's Cup boats are awesome and I love all the engineering. I am pretty sure they are all identical too...

Agreed that the America's Cup boats are awesome. I do not mean to be critical of them--the improvements in speed are breath-taking. But as you note--the engineering is huge. Each team is spending millions of dollars in collaboration with auto, aerospace, IT and other corporate partners to insure that the boats are not identical.

So the J-boats are a more pure sailing on the water competition. I don't mean necessarily "better" than an engineering/sailing competition. It's kind of apples and oranges.

NoBozo 01-21-2017 07:15 PM

"Med Moored"

In the Med, (Mediterranean), docking is limited. The harbors are small. Back in the day, (1960) when I was in the Navy, on board a Destroyer Tender, we Med Moored... in Naples.

A Med Moor is stern to the Mole, a wall, with an anchor or mooring buoy out from the bow. Just remembering. :look: NB

ApS 01-26-2017 04:50 AM

Sails Have Generated Horsepower by the Thousands...

1 Attachment(s)
New Herreshoff website.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoBozo (Post 273678)
No matter what size sailboat you have, you have to appreciate the boats that other people have. :look: I do. That's the way I look at it anyhow. :) NB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8w6AL_VlAs

Not about the Lake..? OK, I get it. But lets look at some things outside the lake once in awhile....Just for Fun...:)

I've been to Palma de Mallorca—a beautiful harbor, but sure has gotten crowded since I was there!

'Never seen a 12-meter yacht :( so, among 20 million other visitors, the USS Constitution and Charles W. Morgan will have to do:
https://www.mysticseaport.org/explore/morgan/

Thanks for keeping the boating forum alive and moving while Lake Winnipesaukee's winter boating is "inadvisable".
:look:

BTW: In Wolfeboro, I picked up a 10-inch brass ship's clinometer last summer. Is this something you'd find on an America's Cup 12-meter?

'Maximum inline is 70° — seems "inadvisable" in itself! :eek2:

fatlazyless 01-26-2017 07:03 AM

If anyone is serious about buying a small sailboat, 12' - 16', there's a craigslist-small sailboat business in Mashpee, Massachusetts, on Cape Cod who right now has a pretty big selection of used sailboats for about $500-1500 each. Now is a good time to buy......prices are low winter prices.....prices will be going up on March 1.

He, Derek, has a number of ads in the Cape Cod craigslist. At least one of his ads says that prices will be going up by 40% in March?

Sometimes you find an older boat with a good hull, mast, centerboard, rudder-tiller, stays, pulley-fittings and the sail is old and worn pretty thin ..... so's you probably need to go buy a new sail and get to choose the new sail color-design.

Do not know if the Mass 6.25% sales tax applies to sailboats like this for use in New Hampshire?

NoBozo 08-21-2017 06:15 PM

My Wife and I..(over 50 years...)

We have been going up to an overlook of the entrance to Newport Harbor for years...every Sunday during the summer.. We have an umbrella and our two chairs.....and carrying the Sunday Providence Journal if we get bored.

Yesterday we were about to leave......and behold...BIG Sails coming in. Four BIG sloops with black sails. The same J-Class boats in the first post. What a great end to a Sundays relax at the overlook. :D :D NB