Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating Issues (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Man injured in Paugus Bay incident (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12122)

Skip 05-22-2011 04:22 PM

Man injured in Paugus Bay incident

According to THIS story at WMUR a man appears to have been run over by own his boat early yesterday morning in Paugus Bay.

ITD 05-22-2011 05:03 PM

I hate it when that happens, glad he is ok....

Lakesrider 05-22-2011 05:57 PM

Must not have been using his lanyard.....The whole reason for them is stop this type of injury. He is lucky to be alive.
That said my wife was run over by an out of control boat that her brother in law was running. The boat flipped her/them out, ran over her leg and destroyed her brother in laws arm removing most of his muscle in just two cuts. My wife has a series of prop scars down her leg. If I even touch a certain scar she lets out a scream. Nerve damage. Both are also lucky to be alive. This even after the lanyard had been pulled. BTW it was a Hydro-Stream speed boat. I'll see if I can find the pictures of what was left of the boat after it hit the beach....
Wear your PFD's people......:D

NoBozo 05-22-2011 06:14 PM

This is all the more reason why we need to reduce the Speed Limit (Totally) on the entire lake to 6 MPH. It's just a matter of time until someone gets Really hurt. :D NB

Greene's Basin Girl 05-23-2011 01:07 AM

ARE you serious????

brk-lnt 05-23-2011 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl (Post 157719)
ARE you serious????

I don't think so.

Blue Thunder 05-23-2011 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl (Post 157719)
ARE you serious????

That was a baited fish hook.....don't even nibble at it!!!!

SIKSUKR 05-23-2011 09:39 AM

I say no more propellers.Wind paddle and jet drive only.:laugh:

NBR 05-23-2011 10:03 AM

Cheers for NOBOZO

Not using the kill switch can be more dangerous than speed but you won't find much if anything about kill switch use being mandatory. Boats naturally run in circles with the helm unattended and an operator that is pitched is likely to be run over by their boat. That whirling prop has no respect for flesh.

tis 05-23-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR (Post 157755)

Don't even say it, don't give anybody any more ideas!

jrc 05-23-2011 11:33 AM

To directly address the problem, people have been pushing for these prop guards for years.

http://www.allinflatables.com/shoppi...1/9000ILLa.jpg

But it is by no means settled that they are a good idea:

http://www.boatus.com/gov/prop_guard.asp

NHBUOY 05-23-2011 11:39 AM

...other than his ignorance of the dangers of NOT using his "kill-switch(s)"...was alcohol involved, and, what did the post-crash investigation/inspection of the boat reveal.?..btw..Thanx Skip, for posting the current events for us...and the "way" you do it...;)...

PapaDon 05-24-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NBR (Post 157757)
Not using the kill switch can be more dangerous than speed but you won't find much if anything about kill switch use being mandatory. Boats naturally run in circles with the helm unattended and an operator that is pitched is likely to be run over by their boat. That whirling prop has no respect for flesh.

As a kid, one of my friends had a small home-built 2-seat hydroplane. It had a kill switch, thank goodness, because any wave at all could flip us. Yes, we wore PFDs, even back then ('60s), except they were called "life preservers" at the time.

Rattlesnake Gal 05-24-2011 01:34 PM

Wind...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR (Post 157755)

I don't know, some of those sailboats make me feel uncomfortable because they go so fast! ;) :laugh: :D

SIKSUKR 05-24-2011 01:48 PM

Maybe 2 dog paddle power on the RG yacht.

songkrai 05-25-2011 07:31 AM

Sadly NH had to institute a drivers license for boating on NH lakes.

Too many flatlanders with zero boating experience driving incorrectly, not following rules, and going way too fast for boating/lake conditions.

I'm against government involvement. But seriously does one need a cigarette boat with two V8 engines and with optional loud mufflers traveling over 60 MPH to enjoy the lake?

And seriously folks, I see fishing boats on trailers at gas stations about. An aluminum fishing boat with two 150 HP outboard motors. Do fishing people really need that much horsepower to go fishing? If you are one of these people do you know how stupid that looks?

NoRegrets 05-25-2011 08:19 AM

It is a matter of priority and passion that drives anyone to do what some may call "stupid". We should not judge or others may place the same judgement on you based on their values.

One man's junk is another's treasure. You must have missed the Tool Time television show with Tim Allen. It is not possible to have too much horsepower.

Grandpa Redneck 05-25-2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by songkrai (Post 158039)

Too many flatlanders with zero boating experience driving incorrectly, not following rules, and going way too fast for boating/lake conditions.

I'm against government involvement. But seriously does one need a cigarette boat with two V8 engines and with optional loud mufflers traveling over 60 MPH to enjoy the lake?

And seriously folks, I see fishing boats on trailers at gas stations about. An aluminum fishing boat with two 150 HP outboard motors. Do fishing people really need that much horsepower to go fishing? If you are one of these people do you know how stupid that looks?

You use the term Flatlander, but your post is written with the flantlander mentality.

Flatlanda' is a state of mind, not a state of birth

Mink Islander 05-25-2011 08:52 AM

Meanwhile, back on topic....

I'm just glad the injured person was not more seriously hurt. I can only imagine how frightening the experience was.

I wish him a speedy recovery.

SIKSUKR 05-25-2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

But seriously does one need a cigarette boat with two V8 engines and with optional loud mufflers traveling over 60 MPH to enjoy the lake?

Nope.I can enjoy it in a tube,kayak,or in a Cigarette boat.What I don't enjoy is somebody telling me how I should have fun and then ridiculing others because they have a different view.Do you know how stupid that sounds?

FWIW I don't own anything longer than 10feet.

songkrai 05-26-2011 05:22 AM

I've been on the big lake more decades then I have fingers on one hand.

Yes, all are entitled to their opinions. And all can spend their money anyway they wish.

The big lake used to have few regulations as people used come to the lake with common sense. Sadly common sense has diminished. Too many idiots on lake.

Then the state had to come in and make boaters get a license and take a test. Then the state had to impose a speed limit. Why? Well because of the idiots.

Let's see now. Few years ago a guy kills someone on lake going too fast. He went to jail. More recently a gal kills someone on lake going too fast. Alcohol may or may not have been involved as the lawyers debated the evidence.

diz 05-26-2011 06:26 AM

Groan...

Quote:

Originally Posted by songkrai (Post 158143)
I've been on the big lake more decades then I have fingers on one hand.

Yes, all are entitled to their opinions. And all can spend their money anyway they wish.

The big lake used to have few regulations as people used come to the lake with common sense. Sadly common sense has diminished. Too many idiots on lake.

Then the state had to come in and make boaters get a license and take a test. Then the state had to impose a speed limit. Why? Well because of the idiots.

Let's see now. Few years ago a guy kills someone on lake going too fast. He went to jail. More recently a gal kills someone on lake going too fast. Alcohol may or may not have been involved as the lawyers debated the evidence.

How did we get from a thread about the guy who fell out of his boat to this guy calling people idiots and implying something about that overly-debated boat accident? Posts like his don't really add any value, in my opinion.

Skip 05-26-2011 07:31 AM

Another corrupted thread....

Quote:

Originally Posted by diz (Post 158148)
How did we get from a thread about the guy who fell out of his boat to this guy calling people idiots and implying something about that overly-debated boat accident? Posts like his don't really add any value, in my opinion.

You are correct, and a simple post to inform about an unfortunate accident has now been moved to the "issues" thread.

It is unfortunate that a handful of folks here just can't seem to act like adults when they post.....:(

lawn psycho 05-26-2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

So what about anoyone who drives a car with 6 or 8 cylinders? My garden tractor has 25 Hp, is that too much?

NH did not need to pass a boating license. NH has a 150 ft safe passage rule that does not exist on any other body of water. I still question if the law as enforced is what was actually intended (ie, 150 ft is for between boat and stationary objects, not two vessels underway). People have an unrealistic ideal of what "safe boating" is. 150 ft of distance between passing boats is over-kill IMO. People on Winni hyper-ventilate. The idea that the lake is in a state of emergency with renegade boaters is just ridiculus. It's clear to me that some people who own on the lake are miserable and should rethink if a lake property is really what they want.

If you want flat water 24/365 then I suggest you go build yourself a man-made pond (not joking).

The problem with regulations like have been passed is one begets another and another. Eventually the tide is going to turn against those who own water front and I am going to laugh when it does:laugh:

The same people who want these regulations are the one's who will bicker and fight with their neighbors when something is done that "they" think is not appropriate.

VtSteve 05-27-2011 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip (Post 158154)
You are correct, and a simple post to inform about an unfortunate accident has now been moved to the "issues" thread.

It is unfortunate that a handful of folks here just can't seem to act like adults when they post.....:(

It should have reminded people of what the lanyard kill switch is for, and what can happen if not used. Lakesrider mentioned the lanyard early on, and how even that isn't 100% apparently.

Skip, I agree with you 100%

chipj29 05-27-2011 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VtSteve (Post 158254)
It should have reminded people of what the lanyard kill switch is for, and what can happen if not used. Lakesrider mentioned the lanyard early on, and how even that isn't 100% apparently.

Skip, I agree with you 100%

I agree.
It is a shame that the off-topic posts in this thread caused it to be moved to the Lake Issues sub-forum.
There is a very valuable lesson to be learned from this incident, and that is to always wear a lanyard. More people need to use theirs, and now that this thread is in the Lake Issues sub-forum, fewer people will become aware of the safety issue.

VtSteve 05-27-2011 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipj29 (Post 158265)
I agree.
It is a shame that the off-topic posts in this thread caused it to be moved to the Lake Issues sub-forum.
There is a very valuable lesson to be learned from this incident, and that is to always wear a lanyard. More people need to use theirs, and now that this thread is in the Lake Issues sub-forum, fewer people will become aware of the safety issue.

Well how about this. Those that entered into the banter away from the topic, delete those posts.

Then see if Don moves it back to where it belongs. Deal?

NoBozo 05-27-2011 09:28 AM

This turn of events is just Devastating. :D NB

ApS 05-28-2011 06:17 AM

Not Me...!

It wasn't me! :laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by VtSteve (Post 158039)
It should have reminded people of what the lanyard kill switch is for.

Woodsy covered lanyards recently—but don't recall if it got moved—too! :confused:

Quote:

"I'm against government involvement. But seriously does one need a cigarette boat with two V8 engines and with optional loud mufflers traveling over 60 MPH to enjoy the lake?"

Visibility wasn't all that great on The Broads yesterday—Ship Island and Moose Island stood out like never before. There was so much "shimmer" on the water's surface, Welch Island picked up a new and tiny island on its southern border. :confused:

I heard one of those boats, but couldn't see it. Maybe it was one of three-V8-engined "Cigar" boats :eek: :confused:.