Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ice (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26573)

ishoot308 11-25-2020 04:02 PM

Ice

Is everyone ready for this...

Both Lily Pond and Gilford Yacht Club were completely iced over today!

That is all...

Dan

WinnisquamZ 11-25-2020 04:53 PM

Thank you Dan!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

steve-on-mark 11-25-2020 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 347117)
Is everyone ready for this...

Both Lily Pond and Gilford Yacht Club were completely iced over today!

That is all...

Dan

We brought a couple of boats in on Sunday...planned on leaving one at our Mt.View slip but it was iced in!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

ishoot308 11-25-2020 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-on-mark (Post 347123)
We brought a couple of boats in on Sunday...planned on leaving one at our Mt.View slip but it was iced in!

Yes and it’s going to be cold tonight! Could be an unbreakable crust by the morning!

Dan

betterthanbacon 11-26-2020 08:56 AM

The pond in my back yard here in eastern Vermont has been completely frozen over for about a week now. This morning totally open with a temp of 37. Looks like we are in for a warm spell. Temps going above 50.
Happy Thanksgiving To you all

Biggd 11-26-2020 09:19 AM

A lot of backyard rinks with fire pits going up this year back here in Ma.
Brings back memories of my childhood skating on ponds and parents making a fire pit out of rocks to keep us warm.
I guess there are some positives from the pandemic. People are rediscovering out door activities.

codeman671 11-27-2020 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 347124)
Yes and it’s going to be cold tonight! Could be an unbreakable crust by the morning!

Dan

How are things looking today? I am on the outer dock at Gilford Yacht Club, out in Smith Cove. I was going to move it tomorrow, may have to run up today.

thinkxingu 11-27-2020 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman671 (Post 347171)
How are things looking today? I am on the outer dock at Gilford Yacht Club, out in Smith Cove. I was going to move it tomorrow, may have to run up today.

We literally just drove by Ames Farm and didn't see a single sign of ice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

codeman671 11-27-2020 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 347172)
We literally just drove by Ames Farm and didn't see a single sign of ice.

You won’t there until almost ice in. GYC is back in a small cove that doesn’t get a lot of wind. It always freezes much earlier.

thinkxingu 11-27-2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman671 (Post 347173)
You won’t there until almost ice in. GYC is back in a small cove that doesn’t get a lot of wind. It always freezes much earlier.

Gotcha. There was no sign of ice from Center Harbor to Meredith to Gilford to Alton Bay—might there still be ice at GYC?!

steve-on-mark 11-27-2020 01:00 PM

Quote:

There was no ice in the back of the boat yesterday and this morning so I think you'll be fine. I can check tonight when I go home!

codeman671 11-27-2020 01:18 PM

No ice at all in the yacht club. Wasted trip up. I may move it anyhow.

MAXUM 11-27-2020 05:38 PM

Beautiful day on the lake today... although much to my surprise the lake level was even lower than my last trip a couple weeks ago even though we have been getting rain. Depending on the weather today have have been my last trip out over liquid water.

Very quiet, water was like glass. Still a handful of boats went by so there are still a few die hards out there.

ishoot308 11-27-2020 07:16 PM

Quote:

Sorry for the delay Codeman, it was very mild today, so as you already know everything opened up.

Dan

Merrymeeting 11-28-2020 08:07 AM

Water temps are still in the low 40's. You won't see consistent ice until the readings are in the 37-38 degree range. Typically not until Christmas or later.

It takes a lot of energy movement to change the lake temps by a degree.

Hillcountry 11-28-2020 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merrymeeting (Post 347193)
Water temps are still in the low 40's. You won't see consistent ice until the readings are in the 37-38 degree range. Typically not until Christmas or later.

It takes a lot of energy movement to change the lake temps by a degree.

Yes! The ice fishing guys are bummed about the lack of cold for the possibility of an early start...they are talking about having to fish “above the notch” to get their lines in early. There are ponds up north that are traditionally “ice box” ponds that always set up early.

Kamper 11-28-2020 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Is this too soon?

Attachment 16594

fatlazyless 11-28-2020 05:24 PM

Looking for ice, the www.wvicearena.com is open tomorrow, Sunday, from 11-1 for $8.00-public ICE skating. It took three big ice refrigeration repair service trucks from Connecticut about two or three days working on the ice making equipment this week, or something, so they must really want to have some very good ice. That had to be a very big money, type of a service call, coming from Connecticut to NH to work on the ice?

Be sure to bring your ambulatory care walker with the four vinyl tips so you can work on your ice skating skills ....... forward, backward, and even zig-zag sideways ....... weeeee-ooooo!!!