Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mt. Washington Cruises acquires Winni Belle (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28673)

NHskier 03-30-2023 03:54 PM

Mt. Washington Cruises acquires Winni Belle

Press release from the cruise line.

tis 03-30-2023 04:26 PM

Yup, Wolfeboro loses another one.

Descant 03-30-2023 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 382313)
Yup, Wolfeboro loses another one.

The press release doesn't say the Belle won't return to Wolfeboro. If she needs two years refurbishment, she likely wasn't going to stay active anyway. Remember when the Judge Sewall sank at her dock?

tis 03-30-2023 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 382314)
The press release doesn't say the Belle won't return to Wolfeboro. If she needs two years refurbishment, she likely wasn't going to stay active anyway. Remember when the Judge Sewall sank at her dock?

It doesn't but I will be very surprised if they keep her exclusively on the east side of the lake as she has been. It was one commercial vessel that we had to ourselves. You are right, I don't think the Inn would have put more money into her. Poor Judge Sewall. And then she sat half sunk by Wolfeboro Neck while they waited for state permission to sink her forever. It didn't happen so the cut her up. Sad.

TiltonBB 03-30-2023 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When it was delivered to the lake the transport company misjudged and it landed on top of the dock at the ramp in Alton.

A hydraulic wrecker was used to lift it and get it into the water.

It has spent the winter on land in Gilford having repairs done but still needs more work.

I wonder how many people go out on a cruise and think they are on a paddle wheel boat?

Descant 03-31-2023 11:00 AM

So, at 65' she's about the same length as the Dive, and is also shallow draft. Wouldn't it be fun to have two boats competing at the sandbars? Can't imagine all the online screamers going crazy over that.

LIforrelaxin 03-31-2023 01:56 PM

Overall this is not that surprising. Mount Washington Cruises is trying to expand its operations which overall I believe is a good thing. With the number of vessels they have now, it will not be as difficult on them to have a boat sitting out for a year to do serious maintenance. The exception to that will be the Mount of course, for which Maintenance will remain a winter project.

Slickcraft 04-03-2023 03:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Currently at Fay's.

codeman671 04-07-2023 03:12 PM

I always assumed it was inboard powered. Surprised to see it has outdrives:eek::eek::eek:

ApS 04-09-2023 04:14 AM

Affront to Golden Pond...Pretentious...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 382314)

Judge Sewall must have sunk more than one time. She sank once a few hundred feet from my dock. Did it drift there or was intentionally run-aground? :confused:
IDK.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 382315)
It doesn't but I will be very surprised if they keep her exclusively on the east side of the lake as she has been. It was one commercial vessel that we had to ourselves. You are right, I don't think the Inn would have put more money into her. Poor Judge Sewall. And then she sat half sunk by Wolfeboro Neck while they waited for state permission to sink her forever. It didn't happen so the cut her up. Sad.

The Belle will need work underneath to operate on anything bur calm waters. Under power, it would stagger and "crab" from one course to another. The side wheels (mostly) turned, but provided no propulsion. They were passive in "operation"--if you could call it that. :rolleye1:

Usually, it would pass by on quiet Friday evenings loudly playing "Mack the Knife", but rap "music" was a specialty in later years. :rolleye2:

tis 04-09-2023 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 382578)

Judge Sewall must have sunk more than one time. She sank once a few hundred feet from my dock. Did it drift there or was intentionally run-aground? :confused:
IDK.

The Belle will need work underneath to operate on anything bur calm waters. Under power, it would stagger and "crab" from one course to another. The side wheels (mostly) turned, but provided no propulsion. They were passive in "operation"--if you could call it that. :rolleye1:

Usually, it would pass by on quiet Friday evenings loudly playing "Mack the Knife", but rap "music" was a specialty in later years. :rolleye2:

That is one thing I liked, that it would occasionally come to our neck of the woods since we don't see big commercial vehicles. If I remember correctly, they put the Judge by your house while they awaited permission from the state to sink it but she didn't want to wait for the state. They were not given permission to sink her.