Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Why No Giuseppe’s? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23464)

ishoot308 06-25-2018 04:43 PM

Why No Giuseppe’s?

Went for a motorcycle ride around the lake today. After meeting a friend in Wolfeboro we decided to have lunch at Canoe but they were closed. Next we decided on the Bob house, they too were closed. Finally after thinking a bit I decided to go to Giuseppe’s in Meredith as I had never been there.

What a hidden gem! Great attentive service by ambitious young adults, great food and a real nice outdoor seating area. The place was pretty full and I can certainly see why.

So my question is why has this place never been mentioned here on the forum?? Is it because it’s good and we only discuss bad food and service places??

Two big thumbs up for Giuseppe’s!

Dan

pjard 06-25-2018 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 296609)
Went for a motorcycle ride around the lake today. After meeting a friend in Wolfeboro we decided to have lunch at Canoe but they were closed. Next we decided on the Bob house, they too were closed. Finally after thinking a bit I decided to go to Giuseppe’s in Meredith as I had never been there.

What a hidden gem! Great attentive service by ambitious young adults, great food and a real nice outdoor seating area. The place was pretty full and I can certainly see why.

So my question is why has this place never been mentioned here on the forum?? Is it because it’s good and we only discuss bad food and service places??

Two big thumbs up for Giuseppe’s!

Dan

Dan
I know this doesn't really answer your question but I can't believe you have never been there. It's great.... I sort of gave up on restaurant threads because they always turn into a debate.

Paul

Woody38 06-25-2018 05:40 PM

Went there couple of weeks ago. Service left us wanting. After receiving our food we never saw the server again until we paid the bill. Space cramped and people trying to get around each other in the narrow walk ways. Noisy.
Expensive for menu items which were not that great.
Probably will give them another try sometime.

--------------------------------------------

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic

ishoot308 06-25-2018 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjard (Post 296614)
Dan
I know this doesn't really answer your question but I can't believe you have never been there. It's great.... I sort of gave up on restaurant threads because they always turn into a debate.

Paul

I know I can’t believe I haven’t been there either. We were actually supposed to go a litte while back to see one their guitar players play but my wife got sick and we had to cancel.

Regarding restaurant threads, I don’t review restaurants unless I have something good to say, just my way...

Dan

Biggd 06-25-2018 06:04 PM

I have a place in Meredith and Giuseppe's is not what I would call quality Italian food. It's a great place to drink and has a great lively atmosphere but the food is just ok, as far as Italian restaurants go. We usually go there for drinks and entertainment after we've had a good meal elsewhere.

Doobs41378 06-25-2018 06:37 PM

I think the pizza is really good from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

ishoot308 06-25-2018 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody38 (Post 296616)
Went there couple of weeks ago. Service left us wanting. After receiving our food we never saw the server again until we paid the bill. Space cramped and people trying to get around each other in the narrow walk ways. Noisy.
Expensive for menu items which were not that great.
Probably will give them another try sometime.

--------------------------------------------

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic

Service left you wanting.
Never saw server till the bill came
Cramped
Too noisy
Expensive
Food not great

Really, your going to try them again!.... Why??:confused::confused:

ishoot308 06-25-2018 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doobs41378 (Post 296623)

That’s what I had and it was great!

codeman671 06-25-2018 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 296625)
That’s what I had and it was great!

We love Giuseppe's, and go multiple times a season. Try the spinach and feta rolls!

Biggd 06-26-2018 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doobs41378 (Post 296623)

I'm not a fan of their pizza.

webmaster 06-26-2018 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman671 (Post 296635)
We love Giuseppe's, and go multiple times a season.

Us too. It has been part of our vacation dining for over 20 years. It's not gourmet Italian but it is good, consistent and reasonably priced. The location and atmosphere are part of why we go there. The live entertainment is great (we still miss Giovanni) and we've seen some real surprising talent on open mike night. Some of our group will always go early to hit the shops and walk around Meredith. It's always a nice night out that we all look forward to. To each his own.

rick35 06-26-2018 05:20 PM

Meredith is a Common Man town and Giuseppe’s offers a welcome option especially when going to town by boat. The town is fortunate to be home to several Common Man restaurants but the only one we like is Frankie’s.

Taz 06-27-2018 09:21 AM

Giussepe's

Never had a bad experience, food is good, consistent, is it authentic Italian? No, but many are not. I like their pizza, its nice to sit outside also.

Grove84 06-27-2018 11:47 AM

Giuseppe’s

What a lot of boaters may not know is they have take out as well. Meaning I have called in an order from the boat and given them my hull number . They meet me at the Meredith dock, bow up to the dock hand them our money, receive our food and then go float and have dinner on the water . It works great during the week and on Sunday evenings

thinkxingu 06-27-2018 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grove84 (Post 296725)
What a lot of boaters may not know is they have take out as well. Meaning I have called in an order from the boat and given them my hull number . They meet me at the Meredith dock, bow up to the dock hand them our money, receive our food and then go float and have dinner on the water . It works great during the week and on Sunday evenings

Great tip!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Descant 06-27-2018 01:43 PM

Why haven't we seen Giuseppe's on the Forum?

From Ishoot308
"So my question is why has this place never been mentioned here on the forum?? Is it because it’s good and we only discuss bad food and service places??

Two big thumbs up for Giuseppe’s!"
You need to tell us about your hidden fishing hole and that quiet cove, then we'll let you know more of our hidden gems.
We like the pizza and the outdoor seating. Dockside delivery is a great thing to know about.

thinkxingu 03-20-2022 06:29 PM

Sorta thread-from-the-grave, but this fit as we've been summering at the lake since '14 and have only been to Giuseppe's twice, today being the second visit. It was great! My kids loved their alfredo and cheesesteak, my wife loved her grilled chicken wrap, and my calzone and chicken fingers were excellent.

I told the waitress exactly what the OP asked (but personally)—why haven't we eaten here more often?!

Of course, the $20 candy store hit on the way out may be just one answer...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8gv 03-20-2022 07:24 PM

Yes... Lee's Candy.

That's where I get my (mental) health food.

Lakegeezer 03-21-2022 05:57 AM

Unacceptable Business Practices

We were going to go to Giuseppe's last week after seeing The Batman at the Meredith Theater but went to George's instead. Why? Giuseppe's require pre-made online reservations, so I started the process. During checkout, I noticed that no-shows and cancelations were subject to a $100/person penalty. Charging for no-shows, I get. For cancelations, no way. $100/person, no way. We voted with our feet.

thinkxingu 03-21-2022 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakegeezer (Post 368576)
We were going to go to Giuseppe's last week after seeing The Batman at the Meredith Theater but went to George's instead. Why? Giuseppe's require pre-made online reservations, so I started the process. During checkout, I noticed that no-shows and cancelations were subject to a $100/person penalty. Charging for no-shows, I get. For cancelations, no way. $100/person, no way. We voted with our feet.

We didn't know they took reservations, we just showed up.

I'd be interested to know if they ever actually charge for cancellations.

I've also heard that Batman was as awesome as our Giuseppe's experience!

John Mercier 03-21-2022 05:53 PM

They would need to take a $100/person deposit in advance to make it work.

FlyingScot 03-21-2022 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakegeezer (Post 368576)

Maybe there's a misunderstanding on this or the problem has been corrected? Not quite able to believe that fun, inexpensive G's would ask for $100, I just checked Open Table. They were ready to confirm my reservation with no mention of $100

eyenotall777 03-22-2022 12:41 PM

Credit card required

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 368593)
Maybe there's a misunderstanding on this or the problem has been corrected? Not quite able to believe that fun, inexpensive G's would ask for $100, I just checked Open Table. They were ready to confirm my reservation with no mention of $100

Not sure where you are looking but it is there when using Open Table after you choose your time. I went to book online a few weeks back and saw the below as well. I then simply picked up the phone to make my reservation direct w/o asking for a credit card. I actually even cancelled one of the reservations I made over the phone.
"CREDIT CARD REQUIRED
This restaurant requires a credit card to secure this reservation. All credit card information will be processed securely. No-shows or cancellations will be subject to a charge of $100 per person."

garysanfran 03-22-2022 12:51 PM

I noticed on their web site, "Reservations Required"...

If I go there without one, and they have a whole bunch of empty tables, they won't seat me?

A strange requirement, I believe!

Descant 03-22-2022 12:57 PM

No QA

How many times have you been to a new website or dealt with a new product that had a (hidden) flaw. Happens all the time. My guess is that G's bought a new reservation software package and did not do their own set up or QA, so this default crept in. No biggie.

Mr. V 03-22-2022 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran

If I go there without one, and they have a whole bunch of empty tables, they won't seat me?

Perhaps it has to do with them having to have sufficient staff on hand?

For example, if you reserve for a party of eight and blow it off the restaurant may have called in another worker to handle the expected work.

TheTimeTraveler 03-22-2022 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 368608)

Actually, many restaurants have empty tables deliberately. The reason is they don't have the wait staff to service them, or the kitchen staff to prepare the meal.

It's a sad state of affairs we are now in, but until people want to return to work it's a situation that we sadly have to tolerate.

Up until a few years ago workers would have to hunt for jobs; today you can find a job anywhere without a sweat. And with huge money benefits (compared to back in 2019). My, have times changed!

John Mercier 03-23-2022 05:29 PM

People have already ''returned'' to work.
NH has an unemployment rate that is pre-pandemic... has for a while now.

WinnisquamZ 03-23-2022 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mercier (Post 368633)
People have already ''returned'' to work.

NH has an unemployment rate that is pre-pandemic... has for a while now.

Correct. If you are unemployed in NH it’s because you can’t or don’t want to work

John Mercier 03-23-2022 07:56 PM

It is really higher paying employers scavenging from the lower paying employers.
Even I continually get recruitment offers... that is something at my age, I never would have dreamed of.

Loub52 03-23-2022 08:02 PM

Informative graphic from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. You can select workforce participation rates as a total or by demographic. Any way you slice it, there are fewer labor participants than there were 2 years ago.

https://www.bls.gov/charts/employmen...ation-rate.htm

Wonder if some that were working, but didn’t necessarily need to in 2020 took a look in the mirror and decided to hang up the cleats after the last couple of years.

John Mercier 03-23-2022 10:05 PM

Probably. But everyone looks at the national numbers rather than local. I don't think we have workforce participation numbers for NH, and definitely not for the Lakes Region.

With high transportation costs, and higher pay to the south, it is unlikely that working age population is willing to travel north... so we come up short.

If they immigrate here, and pay our housing prices, they would need a lot more pay than many of these ''tourist'' businesses are willing to pay on an annualized with benefit package basis.

Everyone that has left us is going to a higher paying job...

phoenix 03-24-2022 02:05 PM

local businesses still need a return to prior levels of temporary foreign workers for the busy summer season

John Mercier 03-24-2022 05:13 PM

Probably higher than previous levels.

MBNeckguy 03-24-2022 07:35 PM

Good luck finding those “temporary foreign workers” places to stay for the season…..

Loub52 03-24-2022 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mercier (Post 368638)
Probably. But everyone looks at the national numbers rather than local. I don't think we have workforce participation numbers for NH, and definitely not for the Lakes Region.

With high transportation costs, and higher pay to the south, it is unlikely that working age population is willing to travel north... so we come up short.

If they immigrate here, and pay our housing prices, they would need a lot more pay than many of these ''tourist'' businesses are willing to pay on an annualized with benefit package basis.

Everyone that has left us is going to a higher paying job...

New Hampshire’s employment-population ratio numbers closely mirror the National numbers

https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LASS...de_graphs=true

..so, about Giuseppe’s…they have a great pepperoni calzone, among other things

John Mercier 03-24-2022 10:30 PM

It doesn't matter if it mirrors the national numbers.
My point was that labor is not going to travel long distance - like from another State or even other major southern NH population to the Lakes Region to work wait/waitress-type jobs.

So we are stuck with the labor we have... and have to be competitive in our compensation package with all other industries looking for help.

DickR 03-25-2022 10:54 AM

In Heath's supermarket at Center Harbor, they have cleared out floor space for two or four self-checkout stations. I was told that they were doing this to address shortage of staff for the upcoming busy season.

So, for restaurants facing a shortage of waitstaff for the summer, I wonder if some might do something similar and move part of the operation to a buffet/cafeteria style. Many customers might like something like that if they don't want to wait for someone to come say hello, bring a glass of water, take an order, and show up some time later with the food. If all the customer wants is to pick the food dishes off a shelf, pay at a checkout station, and grab a seat at a table somewhere, the cafeteria model might solve a problem.

thinkxingu 03-25-2022 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DickR (Post 368677)
In Heath's supermarket at Center Harbor, they have cleared out floor space for two or four self-checkout stations. I was told that they were doing this to address shortage of staff for the upcoming busy season.

So, for restaurants facing a shortage of waitstaff for the summer, I wonder if some might do something similar and move part of the operation to a buffet/cafeteria style. Many customers might like something like that if they don't want to wait for someone to come say hello, bring a glass of water, take an order, and show up some time later with the food. If all the customer wants is to pick the food dishes off a shelf, pay at a checkout station, and grab a seat at a table somewhere, the cafeteria model might solve a problem.

I'd punch a kitten for a buffet or two in the area. I love me some variety!

John Mercier 03-25-2022 05:23 PM

I think some places already use that format.

TheTimeTraveler 03-25-2022 07:02 PM

Cafeteria or buffet style means of obtaining restaurant food (i.e. self service) is a very good idea. However, with Covid issues fresh on peoples mind over the past two years I am not sure people will be too keen on the concept.

And, what will happen if there is another bad Covid outbreak?

I guess testing it out may show its success or failure.

phoenix 03-25-2022 09:17 PM

miracle farms has there own housing for temps

John Mercier 03-25-2022 09:24 PM

Landscapers?
Or is Miracle Farms going to open a restaurant?

ACME on the Broads 03-26-2022 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 368609)
How many times have you been to a new website or dealt with a new product that had a (hidden) flaw. Happens all the time. My guess is that G's bought a new reservation software package and did not do their own set up or QA, so this default crept in. No biggie.

Come on Julie, you're better than this (if true)!

phoenix 03-26-2022 01:00 PM

i was replying to the post " good luck in finding temps a place to stay" and posted miracle did and maybe others have. . No need to reply John

John Mercier 03-26-2022 02:06 PM

It was a restaurant thread.
So it was more a question of whether the ''farms'' was proposing to do something more than landscaping.

It isn't that unusual for profitable businesses in a field to expand slightly into another field... say landscaping to a farm-to-table operation. That is what the Moulton Farm did.

We're hearing about some efforts that may be made on this side of the lake for some landscapers to do something just like that. They already have labor and knowledge... so the jump isn't really that far.

thinkxingu 08-23-2023 12:44 PM

Ate at Giuseppe's patio today, and it was an awesome setting. It's almost totally shaded and the sound of the waterfall and its cooling effect on the breeze was very nice.

They also had great servers and allow doggos—win!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

garysanfran 08-23-2023 01:30 PM

Went to Akwa today for lunch and was waited on by a very efficient young lady from Jamaica. She went through an employment agency in Jamaica that found her the job in New Hampshire. She knew nothing about NH before accepting the job. She stays, without a car, at some housing arrangement in Meredith.

A few years ago, a lot of the help at Lobster-in-the Rough, Weathervane at The Weirs were from Eastern Europe and shared living quarters above Crazy Gringo.