Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Site Support Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   In memoriam (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21357)

Pineedles 10-10-2016 02:30 PM

In memoriam

Hi Don,

Reading the tribute to Sunset Bob made me think of other members that have passed on. Skipper of the Sea Q and Redwing are two others I can think of that have passed. Is there a way to superimpose a wreath or something over their avatars to indicate they are gone, but not forgotten by their friends here on the Winnipesaukee Forum?

Thanks,

Jeff

wifi 10-10-2016 06:46 PM

From the peanut gallery, that is a nice idea :)

tis 10-11-2016 06:17 AM

Speaking of member that have passed, has anyone heard from our official greeter, RLW? Or was it RWL? Anyway, there have been no new welcome to the forum greetings lately.

SIKSUKR 10-11-2016 12:09 PM

Always wondered what happened to me&mac and a few others. I think some just move on to something different.

Pineedles 10-11-2016 12:36 PM

Mia

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR (Post 270768)
Always wondered what happened to me&mac and a few others. I think some just move on to something different.

You would think that even if someone who was a big contributor moved away, the forum would still hold some interest for them. A visit every so often, not even commenting would show in their statistics. But you're right SIK, I personally know 2 members who had posts in the thousands that haven't even taken a peek in years. Of, course they can always look without signing on, and we would never know they were here. :confused:

webmaster 10-11-2016 01:37 PM

I did check for a plugin that would allow me to set a user account to a memorial account but there doesn't seem to be one available. Keep in mind that the forum is powered by a commercial software package. I didn't write it and I'm limited to the features that are available in the software or add-ons. I'll keep looking since I agree that it would be a nice feature.

Quote:

You would think that even if someone who was a big contributor moved away, the forum would still hold some interest for them.
I think many of those big contributors are still lurking. I still hear from some some of them. Of course things have changed on the internet since I started the forum in the 90's. Facebook has changed things and there are many other sources of information out there.

We may have lost some active members but the traffic is at an all-time high this year. In August we had the biggest month ever with over 100,000 unique visitors. There is a wealth of knowledge and information archived here and people are now finding it through searches instead of registering and asking a question.

tis 10-11-2016 01:59 PM

I miss Me&Mac too.

Just Sold 10-11-2016 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 270781)
I miss Me&Mac too.

I do as well.

ghfromaltonbay 10-12-2016 05:43 PM

Mia

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 270781)
I miss Me&Mac too.

I hope all is well with them. This season I didn't see their car at their summer place & no fireworks for July 4.

ishoot308 10-12-2016 06:12 PM

How about just adding a section for those forum members who have passed on...maybe a "Gone But Not Forgotten" section.

Just a thought...

Dan

webmaster 10-12-2016 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 270848)
How about just adding a section for those forum members who have passed on...

For that we'll need the "Posting from the Afterlife" plugin. ;)

One simple solution would be for me to change the label under their name from "Senior Member" to "Deceased Member" or something like that. Does anyone have a suggestion for an appropriate label?

Charlie T 10-12-2016 07:04 PM

How about

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 270849)

One simple solution would be for me to change the label under their name from "Senior Member" to "Deceased Member" or something like that. Does anyone have a suggestion for an appropriate label?

How about "Member Emeritus"

Outdoorsman 10-12-2016 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 270849)

"In Memory of"

Rattlesnake Gal 10-12-2016 08:36 PM

Mee-n-Mac

I am sad to report that Ellen, (Mee) of Mee-n-Mac, passed away about five years ago. Brian, (Mac), has not officially visited the Forum since few months before her passing. They were a very special couple.

Phantom 10-13-2016 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie T (Post 270852)

Personally, I think this is appropriate .......

Don, is there some way to include at least the year of passing?

Perhaps you can juggle the member since entry?

"Member since: 2008-2015"

tis 10-13-2016 06:35 AM

I am very sorry to hear that RG. I didn't know them but just liked them by what they wrote. They seemed very nice.

webmaster 10-13-2016 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie T (Post 270852)

That looks good at first glance but the definition of Emeritus doesn't refer to someone being deceased, it just seems to be used to allow a retired person to retain their title.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 270869)
Perhaps you can juggle the member since entry?

"Member since: 2008-2015".

I can't edit the "Member since" field. It's automatically pulled from the database. The title under the member name is the only thing I can edit.

I'm still looking for the right title.

upthesaukee 10-13-2016 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal (Post 270860)
I am sad to report that Ellen, (Mee) of Mee-n-Mac, passed away about five years ago. Brian, (Mac), has not officially visited the Forum since few months before her passing. They were a very special couple.

When we had the ForumFest at Lake Shore Park, Ellen spent $50 for tickets for a picture I took of the Spindle Point lighthouse, because they had friends who had the picture's viewpoint of the lighthouse at their camp. She didn't win, but all was not lost; I emailed her the picture file so she could have it printed out. They were very giving and very special. I believe that their lake home and the cabins across the street were sold a while back.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Pineedles 10-13-2016 08:40 AM

My suggestion would be Memorial Member

depasseg 10-14-2016 11:38 AM

Eternal member?

Descant 10-15-2016 03:13 PM

"Passed Member"

upthesaukee 10-16-2016 07:07 PM

Perhaps simply " Rest in Peace " .

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Water Camper 10-18-2016 06:10 PM

Another suggestion

How about "Winni Member Passes"
"Winni Member Remembered"
Something with Winni in it.
Sue

thinkxingu 10-18-2016 06:25 PM

"In Memoriam"

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Pineedles 12-01-2016 11:00 AM

Don,

Have you made a decision on this? Thanks.

Jersey Ed 12-01-2016 02:34 PM

After rereading all of the posts here, and many of them are very good, I got to wondering just how many of our members who have passed on would be posting so that we could see how Don decides to honor them???

Pineedles 12-01-2016 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey Ed (Post 272379)
After rereading all of the posts here, and many of them are very good, I got to wondering just how many of our members who have passed on would be posting so that we could see how Don decides to honor them???

I am guessing you are saying that tongue in cheek about passed members posting? However, if Don is able to modify their profiles, we would see it on past posts these members have made, as well as on their member's page.

Jersey Ed 12-01-2016 03:14 PM

Pineedles, yes very "tongue in cheek". Don, could the "members List" be altered to add a section for members who have passed on??

webmaster 12-11-2016 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineedles (Post 272374)
Have you made a decision on this?

Sorry I dragged my feet on this but I couldn't decide. Since that field describes the type of member you are I'll go with the simple "Deceased Member".

I changed a few but if you guys could remind me of others it would help.

Skip 12-11-2016 11:17 AM

A title I hope is in my distant future...

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 272564)
Sorry I dragged my feet on this but I couldn't decide. Since that field describes the type of member you are I'll go with the simple "Deceased Member".

I changed a few but if you guys could remind me of others it would help.

But to the chagrin of some I haven't earned that title yet...thanks Don!

Pineedles 12-12-2016 10:36 AM

Thank you Don. Redwing passed late last year. Greene's Basin Girl can confirm.

Water Camper 01-09-2017 07:42 AM

Deceased Member

Recently deceased; Stephen J Lavallee Sr or also known as White Rook here on Winni.com.

Obit can be found at http://www.brooksidechapelfh.com/hom...268/id/4061247

Thank You,
Bill

onceMeg 01-10-2017 12:42 PM

Header for deceased members?

How about Member Remembered?

ApS 03-18-2017 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 270879)
That looks good at first glance but the definition of Emeritus doesn't refer to someone being deceased, it just seems to be used to allow a retired person to retain their title.

I can't edit the "Member since" field. It's automatically pulled from the database. The title under the member name is the only thing I can edit.

I'm still looking for the right title.

Member "old coot" passed away last year, but is not listed.

WINNOCTURN 03-18-2017 11:33 AM

In Memory of our Friends

Quote:

Originally Posted by onceMeg (Post 273534)
How about Member Remembered?

I belong to another Forum that uses this "In Memory of our Friends" to honor Members that have past.

Rusty 03-18-2017 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 275842)
[/FONT][/B]

Member "old coot" passed away last year, but is not listed.

Old Coot passed away in March of 2015. His son who he took care for a long time passed away recently.