Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Solving old cabin problems (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26700)

NH4me 01-24-2021 06:31 PM

Solving old cabin problems
 
Does anybody else watch Maine Cabin Masters on HGTV? I think they are quite entertaining plus they encounter many of the same things we have dealt with in our 50 year old island cabin. Almost makes me want to move to Maine, but not quite - we love Winnipesaukee!

NH4me 01-24-2021 06:34 PM

Oops - it's Discovery, not HGTV.

WinnisquamZ 01-24-2021 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NH4me (Post 349672)
Does anybody else watch Maine Cabin Masters on HGTV? I think they are quite entertaining plus they encounter many of the same things we have dealt with in our 50 year old island cabin. Almost makes me want to move to Maine, but not quite - we love Winnipesaukee!

Yes, enjoy the show. You are correct. They reuse and adjust as required. Also, budget minded.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Sue Doe-Nym 01-24-2021 08:46 PM

Sounds interesting
 
Can you tell me what days and times? Thanks.

WinnisquamZ 01-24-2021 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym (Post 349685)
Can you tell me what days and times? Thanks.

Monday evening most weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Biggd 01-24-2021 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NH4me (Post 349672)
Does anybody else watch Maine Cabin Masters on HGTV? I think they are quite entertaining plus they encounter many of the same things we have dealt with in our 50 year old island cabin. Almost makes me want to move to Maine, but not quite - we love Winnipesaukee!

My favorite show but they can't be making any money on those cabins. 6 people spend 6 weeks refurbishing a cabin with a budget of 20K? Even if each person only made $500 a week that's $3000 each for 6 weeks just in labor. :confused:

WinnisquamZ 01-24-2021 09:49 PM

Always questioned it myself. Also, they have run into permitting issues over the last few seasons.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Loub52 01-24-2021 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 349689)
My favorite show but they can't be making any money on those cabins. 6 people spend 6 weeks refurbishing a cabin with a budget of 20K? Even if each person only made $500 a week that's $3000 each for 6 weeks just in labor. :confused:

Agree. The budgets seem low. Sponsors must make up the difference.

Descant 01-24-2021 11:02 PM

Maine Cabin Masters
 
Watched an episode tonight (Sunday 1/24) on Comcast 123 which I thought was DIY, but I guess is now Discovery+. Budget seemed reasonable at $45K. Better than that swimming pool show where they spend $100-$150K in the CA backyard. I'm also amused at Flip or Flop where the star couple does 10 flips a year, but in every flip they have a major problem that "Oh, No. We never suspected that problem". "This Old House" rarely has unexpected problems but never never never discusses budget in any way. So, not much "reality TV" here,. but still interesting. Isn't there another thread that revealed that the guys on American Pickers make $500K for doing the show?
In the meantime, it appears to me that many island properties, if substantially improved, will increase the taxes to the point where the next generation will be forced to sell.
BTW, I lived in Maine from 1965-1975. Granted a long time ago, but costs have been lower there than elsewhere. NH suffers considerably from the growth that occurred with all the MA refugees who flooded over the border in the 70's.

Reilly 01-25-2021 06:25 AM

Making plenty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 349689)
My favorite show but they can't be making any money on those cabins. 6 people spend 6 weeks refurbishing a cabin with a budget of 20K? Even if each person only made $500 a week that's $3000 each for 6 weeks just in labor. :confused:

They get paid plenty for the show & Remember it is a show We also enjoy it

mcdude 01-25-2021 08:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I love this show! It's actually on DIY and if you have the app the first 2 seasons are available for free. Season 6 starts on Monday Feb 1 at 9:00 p.m. https://mainecabinmasters.com/
My cable package does not include DIY unless I move up to the next echelon of channels for BIG $$$$$ so I actually buy the season on the VUDU app. I believe you can also buy it on Prime. Also......it is not available on regular Discovery you need to subscribe to Discovery PLUS.
They also do Podcasts called "From the Woodshed" which are available on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+cabin+masters

Biggd 01-25-2021 08:57 AM

Exactly, the project budgets are too low for each of them to even make a weeks pay. I don't think I've ever seen one over 50K and they always have 5 or 6 full timers working every day for at a minimum of 6 weeks. I know they reuse a lot of material but that's just more time consuming which is labor intensive.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loub52 (Post 349692)
Agree. The budgets seem low. Sponsors must make up the difference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

WinnisquamZ 01-25-2021 11:58 AM

As I agree with most of you, the numbers discussed make little sense to those of us that have remodeled. To me, the appeal of the show is its simplicity. Reuse of lumber and cabinets. Plumbing and electrical are also repurposed. Also, it’s hands on approach to building. The bell weather of these shows “this old house” has gone in the opposite direction. Complete guts, best of everything. Unaffordable to must of us viewers.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

jbolty 01-25-2021 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 349709)
Exactly, the project budgets are too low for each of them to even make a weeks pay. I don't think I've ever seen one over 50K and they always have 5 or 6 full timers working every day for at a minimum of 6 weeks. I know they reuse a lot of material but that's just more time consuming which is labor intensive.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

All theses shows have a lot of TV magic and I'm sure the sponsors kick in. On the other hand, The full crew is not there full time for the whole period. If the timeline is 6 weeks there is a lot of time spent waiting for windows to be delivered, or rain delay or waiting for the plumber to finish or there is just 1 or 2 guys there painting and during all that the rest of the crew is at another job site. There are always multiple jobs at the same time for any contractor.

Regardless, it's entertaining and pretty realistic as to the problems and solutions.

Most of the other shows seem way, way out of line on some of the budget items. "Gonna have to move this pipe, that will be $4000"

Biggd 01-25-2021 12:50 PM

I'm one of these guys that does 90% of his own remodling. I search and buy second hand materials and reuse lumber when ever possible so I know the numbers don't add up.
But the show is entertaining and I like that they keep it simple for us simple minded.[emoji23]
Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 349724)
As I agree with most of you, the numbers discussed make little sense to those of us that have remodeled. To me, the appeal of the show is its simplicity. Reuse of lumber and cabinets. Plumbing and electrical are also repurposed. Also, it’s hands on approach to building. The bell weather of these shows “this old house” has gone in the opposite direction. Complete guts, best of everything. Unaffordable to must of us viewers.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

WinnisquamZ 01-25-2021 02:07 PM

Just received this newsletter for those interested in MCM

https://mailchi.mp/2cd36a7a9f82/welc...r?e=66089fde97


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

mcdude 01-25-2021 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 349726)
The full crew is not there full time for the whole period. If the timeline is 6 weeks there is a lot of time spent waiting for windows to be delivered, or rain delay or waiting for the plumber to finish or there is just 1 or 2 guys there painting and during all that the rest of the crew is at another job site. There are always multiple jobs at the same time for any contractor.

This is true. Chase and Ryan have discussed this a few times in the podcasts. Typically they have 3-4 camps they are working on at the same time. The whole crew does not spend the whole six weeks at the same job site. Other ways they save money;

- They have nothing to do with septic. Cabin owner pays for this from another line item

- They do not install heating systems. This also would be from a different part of the budget. In the first season they did install some woodstoves but have stopped doing this due to liability issues.

- There is no sheetrock or plaster (or whatever). Everything (ceiling, walls, floors) is done with Eastern White Pine (one of the show's sponsors). "Throw some pine at it!"

- They typically do not make closets (more expense and labor) with the thought being that it is a summer camp and you can live out of your suitcase.

- The camps are usually not insulated. If they are, they hire a subcontractor and it doesn't come out of their budget. They prefer the spray foam insulation as it inhibits little critters getting into the house.

TheProfessor 01-25-2021 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 349695)
Isn't there another thread that revealed that the guys on American Pickers make $500K for doing the show?

Entirely fake.

The money that they make is from the TV show.

Yes, they do own a real shop. Yes, they did start out buying antiques.

The van though is driven by the crew. The two guys fly in to the area and stay at nice hotels.

The gal at the shop in Iowa actually lives in Chicago. She has her family in Chicago. Sometimes she will fly to the Iowa shop. Many times she is on a staged set in Chicago.

The show is certainly entertainment for the scenery and some of the stuff found ahead of time by the crew. All prices are pre-negotiated by the crew.

This is what reality TV is. Real people but all staged and all set up geared towards audience acceptance and of course TV advertising revenue.

Seek out 90 Day Fiance or Pimple Poppers. If one is into this staged fake TV.

Or join a local book club and actually learn something.

WinnisquamZ 01-25-2021 03:38 PM

The Professor is one angry beaver! We understand it’s filmed for entertainment. However, it is a successful business doing something most of us enjoy watching. To disrespect that, is all on you. “Lighten up Francis”


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

JEEPONLY 01-26-2021 02:37 PM

ABB- DIY- channel 256
 
Aside from the "work" MCMs do, it's the personal touches and personalities that drive the show.
This Old House used to have these qualities, but they have so much technology these days, the product they turn out is less personal and more driven by selling the technology- not interesting anymore- who could afford (would bother buying) all the tools they use to make "perfect" things.
If they have a segment on how to fix a toilet, you don't learn anything (because they don't show it well, you just see how quickly and easily the can do it with updated equipment! Granted, the ask questions segments offer something.

Anyway- reading up a bit on MCMs- they don't pay for the supplies, they earn labor, and, of course, the show pays them.

Lance's story (disappearance) seems a bit odd!

I love this show- and I am SO non-contractorish! :emb:

Biggd 01-26-2021 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEEPONLY (Post 349792)
Aside from the "work" MCMs do, it's the personal touches and personalities that drive the show.
This Old House used to have these qualities, but they have so much technology these days, the product they turn out is less personal and more driven by selling the technology- not interesting anymore- who could afford (would bother buying) all the tools they use to make "perfect" things.
If they have a segment on how to fix a toilet, you don't learn anything (because they don't show it well, you just see how quickly and easily the can do it with updated equipment! Granted, the ask questions segments offer something.

Anyway- reading up a bit on MCMs- they don't pay for the supplies, they earn labor, and, of course, the show pays them.

Lance's story (disappearance) seems a bit odd!

I love this show- and I am SO non-contractorish! :emb:

Lance looks like he has gone out on his own. I saw one show recently where they used him as a sub contractor. I also think he's a new dad so probably wants to call his own shots and stay closer to home.

jbolty 01-26-2021 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEEPONLY (Post 349792)
Aside from the "work" MCMs do, it's the personal touches and personalities that drive the show.
This Old House used to have these qualities, but they have so much technology these days, the product they turn out is less personal and more driven by selling the technology- not interesting anymore- who could afford (would bother buying) all the tools they use to make "perfect" things.
If they have a segment on how to fix a toilet, you don't learn anything (because they don't show it well, you just see how quickly and easily the can do it with updated equipment! Granted, the ask questions segments offer something.

Anyway- reading up a bit on MCMs- they don't pay for the supplies, they earn labor, and, of course, the show pays them.

Lance's story (disappearance) seems a bit odd!

I love this show- and I am SO non-contractorish! :emb:


I stopped watching TOH years ago for that reason. "Let me show you how fast and easy it is to do this project using my new $1500 tool" Lots of the car project shows are the same way "this engine needs a valve job, let's just order a whole new engine"

Donzi Minx 02-02-2021 06:34 PM

Solving old cabin problems
 
Love the show as I am not skilled enough to do any of what they are doing.
It is really Ashely and Ryan, the subtlety of the marital working relationship is hilarious.

Biggd 02-02-2021 07:08 PM

Watched the first edition of the new season last night. I actually saw one mask so it must have been early in covid.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.