Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What’s needed to boat in nh (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22698)

Lakelife2016 10-15-2017 09:06 PM

What’s needed to boat in nh

Hi all, were looking at getting a wake boat in spring and plan on using it local in ma (where we live) and in nh occasionally, what is a little confusing is the boat safety certificate and the boat registrations will i need to register the boat in both ma and nh? And in nh in order for anyone to derive the boat they will need a boat safety certificate correct?

kawishiwi 10-15-2017 09:17 PM

Reg in Mass

If you live in MA I think you have to register there, only, unless you own property in NH.
You HAVE to have a NH boating certif., or an equivalent, for every adult boat driver, 16+, when you are in NH.

Lakelife2016 10-15-2017 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kawishiwi (Post 286681)
If you live in MA I think you have to register there, only, unless you own property in NH.
You HAVE to have a NH boating certif., or an equivalent, for every adult boat driver, 16+, when you are in NH.

That’s what I figured but I wasn’t sure, I’ll have to see if the ma one counts for New Hampshire. Or see if ma also recognizes the nh one and just do the nh one
Thanks!

joey2665 10-16-2017 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakelife2016 (Post 286680)
Hi all, were looking at getting a wake boat in spring and plan on using it local in ma (where we live) and in nh occasionally, what is a little confusing is the boat safety certificate and the boat registrations will i need to register the boat in both ma and nh? And in nh in order for anyone to derive the boat they will need a boat safety certificate correct?

If you MA license is approved by the US Coast Guard or NASBLA then it is acceptable in NH

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Winnisquamer 10-16-2017 04:55 AM

I have a nice wake boat for sale as of now. PM me if interested!

Phantom 10-16-2017 06:09 AM

You can register the boat in it's "Prime" state of operation --- meaning greater than 45 days.

I also live in MA (did not have a "residence or property" at the time in NH) and bought & registered mine in NH ...... in that way you dodge the Sales Tax but on the flip side you pay MUCH higher $$ for the Registration and it's renewals (NH may be Tax Free - but they still get ya).

Regarding the Law -- MA & NH have reciprocity, so a boat registered in Ma has full access to NH waterways -- similar to a car. If your boat is in the State for more than 45 continuous days, then you are "suppose" to register it in that State.

Biggd 10-16-2017 07:55 AM

If you register in Mass you also pay an excise tax every year to your town. If it's a new boat that cost will surely out way the cost of a NH boat registration. So it's still much cheaper to register the boat in NH if that's where you plan to use it the most.
I remember when I bought my first boat off a guy in Mass and registered it in NH. A year later I got a bill from the previous owners town trying to collect his excise tax from me. Ha,ha, NOT!

chachee52 10-16-2017 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 286685)
If you MA license is approved by the US Coast Guard or NASBLA then it is acceptable in NH

Don't believe MA has a boating licence. Lowell has been suggesting it this summer after a few jet ski accidents, but as was brought up, the licence is only good if there is someone on the river enforcing it.
I could be wrong though, don't do much/any boating in Ma.

Woody38 10-16-2017 07:34 PM

Most all states require a license as does Massachusetts. A power squadron course or state course will qualify for licensure. There was a good reference on a previous thread last year I believe. A boating license in Massachusetts should qualify for NH.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.

Rich 10-16-2017 08:15 PM

I hear the BEST place to wakeboard on the lake is in Winter Harbor! :D

chachee52 10-17-2017 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody38 (Post 286727)
Most all states require a license as does Massachusetts. A power squadron course or state course will qualify for licensure. There was a good reference on a previous thread last year I believe. A boating license in Massachusetts should qualify for NH.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.

https://www.boaterexam.com/usa/massa...gulations.aspx

Reading this from the MA DMV, it sounds like only people under 16 for a boat, 18 for PWC need a boating certificate. Good to know for my friend's that have kids and boats on lakes in both MA/NH. So they'd be able to drive a boat in NH under 25hp without a license but can't cross the MA line because any motorboat needs the certificate if they are under 16.

Either way, Get the boating license is always a good idea. My NH was done at the very beginning and in the classroom so its good in every state. But always good to know what's needed in each state.

Biggd 10-18-2017 06:21 AM

My grandson got his from Ohio. You take the course and test on line and they send you the licence.
That's the way NH first did it but experienced boaters were taking the test for everyone in their family so now you have to go take the test in person and show proof that it's you.

joey2665 10-18-2017 06:39 AM

It is a flawed system though because many of the states that accept online testing are approved by the USCG an NASBLA which is accepted by NH as a result if you boat in NH but live elsewhere it's much easier to obtain a license and skirt the system.

The answer would be to not accept USCG of NASBLA approved licenses and only accept an NH license. My permanent residence is out of state and I have an NH license and felt it was important for me to take the NH test since I boat here often

Pricestavern 10-18-2017 04:16 PM

Nerves of Steel

SAMIAM 10-19-2017 08:03 AM

When I took my on line boating license test here in NH I was curious about Florida because we boat there also and I found their on line course.
Big surprise....the questions and test were exactly the same as NH......only difference were questions regarding intercoastal waterway markers.
Took a few minutes to check it out and was able to easily pass that test as well.

joey2665 10-19-2017 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 286814)
When I took my on line boating license test here in NH I was curious about Florida because we boat there also and I found their on line course.
Big surprise....the questions and test were exactly the same as NH......only difference were questions regarding intercoastal waterway markers.
Took a few minutes to check it out and was able to easily pass that test as well.

Florida does not accept an NH boating license?

TiltonBB 10-19-2017 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 286815)
Florida does not accept an NH boating license?

Florida accepts any NASBLA approved course certificate. Anyone born after January 1, 1988 needs a Florida boating license to operate a boat there.

joey2665 10-19-2017 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 286835)
Florida accepts any NASBLA approved course certificate. Anyone born after January 1, 1988 needs a Florida boating license to operate a boat there.

Thank you Tilton appreciate it.

John E 10-29-2017 07:27 AM

I live in MA and have my boat registered in NH. You are allowed to register a boat in NH with a MA address as long as 50% of your boating is done in NH. I've also heard (but am not positive) that if your boat stays in NH for over 30 consecutive days, it must be registered in NH.

The savings in sales tax can be substantial.

JEEPONLY 10-29-2017 10:37 AM

30 Days

It has been rumored that, if you take your boat out of the water, then wait a day, you truly can say you just put it in TODAY!, if asked.