Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   On the rocks (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22037)

Lakegeezer 05-28-2017 03:17 PM

On the rocks

1 Attachment(s)
Turns out a pontoon boat can't jump the rocks in Moultonborough Bay, but these folks sure tried! Edit: Everyone is ok.

Slickcraft 05-28-2017 03:46 PM

We all hate to see that happen, hope all are OK. A tough lesson however there will be a live long remembrance of which side of a red marker is safe passage.

SAB1 05-28-2017 04:02 PM

Hmm. Must be night time move?.....

thinkxingu 05-28-2017 04:21 PM

There's a ton of difficult-to-navigate spots from the Graveyard North/West, even for seasoned skippers.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

ITD 05-28-2017 04:52 PM

The water is very high, many visible rocks are under water. That said, there is a marker visible in the picture.

ursa minor 05-28-2017 09:55 PM

There's a lot of "but for the grace of God go I " going on here for sure, but we're at 504' + right now, this required some effort....:D. Hopefully insurance will cover the damage to the pontoon boat and the outcome will be better next time out. Navigation charts are cheap!

Loony Singer 05-29-2017 05:59 AM

More details

This happened right out in front of our family's cottage. We called the MP, and our two young nephews got in our boat and motored out to help. It was one middle-aged guy and his mother out for their second cruise in the pontoon boat. There were several civilian boats that stopped to help, as well as the MP and Fire and Rescue folks. An hour and a half later, when we left the cottage, the emergency boats were gone but the pontoon boat was still hung up on the rock. Don't know what happened after that. Waiting for Tow US? And, sadly, the captain didn't have insurance.

secondcurve 05-29-2017 06:24 AM

No Insurance?

That is crazy. How my boats operate without insurance on Winnipesaukee? Any guesses? At least no one was injured or killed that is where the lack of insurance would have really been catastrophic.

Hillcountry 05-29-2017 08:04 AM

So was this accident a result of passing on the wrong side of the red stick buoy?
As a relative "newbie" at navigating Winni, I watch my Garmin like a hawk and I'm sure it has saved my butt many times. If someone is not paying very, careful attention to navigating, you can get messed up really quickly. Too bad for this family but having no insurance in this day and age is terrible...it's so inexpensive if you shop around online...

Lakegeezer 05-29-2017 01:02 PM

Off the rocks

1 Attachment(s)
After about an hour, a flat front pontoon boat arrived. The passengers got off their boat and onto the MP boat. The recovery crew used a jack to push up the front of the wrecked boat. Between the wrecked boat's motor in reverse and pushing, they were able to get it off the rocks. It was driven bow high to Ambrose Cove marina, possibly because the pontoons were likely to take on water. Amazing the motor worked.

tummyman 05-29-2017 06:20 PM

Wonder if they had a NH Marine operator's license after taking the Boating Education Course ???

Salty 06-02-2017 03:06 PM

We were boating by and saw it. Even though the lake is high the rock is visible.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

chachee52 06-02-2017 08:10 PM

I met someone this week that lives in the bay. She said that the guy was buzzing everything around including that rock for a awhile. They actually called MP due to him coming within 20 or so feet of a water trampoline that some kids were on. A few minutes later he was on the rock. No boating license per what she said.
This is second hand, I wasn't there.