Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Can't fix stupid-But you can watch him buy new underwear. (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24512)

Top-Water 06-03-2019 08:45 PM

Can't fix stupid-But you can watch him buy new underwear.

I wasn't sure what to title this post so I took it from one of the comments on the You-Tube page. I'm sure there will be a lot of "you shoulda" / "you coulda" posts and this and that about speed and so on. I could care less. Keep it to yourself ...... this guy knows he really really really screwed up.

I only ask one question? What are you gonna do the next time you go out on the boat. Also quotes from the comments section "50 k boat setup. No 15 dollar safeguard. Priceless." and "Guess who's using the killswitch from now on."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YobMW95xV8Q" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BroadHopper 06-04-2019 05:42 AM

Fairly Common

I don't know how many times I have seen runaway crafts on Lake Winni. It's not as rare as you think. Sometimes the boat is going slow enough for someone to stop the boat. At times, they just run out of gas!

Garcia 06-04-2019 06:39 AM

How many regularly wear kill switch cord

Scary stuff, true! It makes me wonder, how many of you regularly clip on the kill switch cord? I'll admit that I never do...

Hillcountry 06-04-2019 07:20 AM

Happened to an ex-GF on Winnisquam some years ago. Cruising alone in her 4 Winns deck boat, lost her hat, bent over at idle to grab hat, fell overboard and boat continued. She had to tread water for a long time until a shoreline owner figured out she was in trouble. Boat idled to shore and they were able to get it after the man on shore picked up my ex. No damage to boat!
Had she panicked, she would have been a goner. She kept her head and calmly treaded water until the rescuer got to her.

8gv 06-04-2019 08:52 AM

They were wearing pfd's. That was good thinking on their part.

Jumping from one boat to another un-commanded boat? Not good!

My lanyard was attached to me yesterday when my tiller outboard torque steered enough to almost lose my grip.

As I got off the throttle to tighten the steering resistance, I thought to myself "this lanyard could save me some day."

ishoot308 06-04-2019 09:21 AM

Autotether

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia (Post 312914)
Scary stuff, true! It makes me wonder, how many of you regularly clip on the kill switch cord? I'll admit that I never do...

I have been using a wireless "Autotether" for a number of years now and so far it works great! Kills motor if I fall in water or am more than 50' away from boat. It's not cheap but it is an excellent safety device.

I guess some of the earlier models had some issues. They seemed to have worked all the bugs out of them as all three of mine work flawlessly.

They actually would be perfect for a bass fishermen as a standard tether would be very restrictive.

Dan

Phantom 06-06-2019 03:03 PM

One of the more common methods of stopping a runaway is to set a series of "ski lines" in its path in an attempt to foul the prop. Much like spike strips used to stop vehicles.

don't know that it was the wisest choice to jump from boat to boat !

Outdoorsman 06-06-2019 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 312943)
Sincerely..........

Thanks all for the great replies and your restraint from turning this into a speed limit debate and so on and Bla Bla Bla topic that has beaten to death over the years.

Can't thank you enough for not letting it get into that type of topic.

Best post so far, but all have been good

Garcia wrote:
How many regularly wear kill switch cord

---------------------------------------
Me to ... and at least you have the guts to admit it . I often don't wear it either. Why ?? "I'm so good with the boat .......... I don't need to" ........

I after seeing the video ............. I think I got a serious reality check after many many years of boating.

Again thank you all.

BRAVO for your attempt to drag up the whole "speed limit" ish!

That topic has not been discussed for years!

Hope you can finally let go and enjoy your time in the area before you go home to ..... .........

dpg 06-07-2019 09:24 AM

Man if he missed that jump that could of ended badly.