Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Good Buffalo Wings anywhere near Wolfeboro?!? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22923)

daveschappell 01-09-2018 12:44 PM

Good Buffalo Wings anywhere near Wolfeboro?!?

Now that winter is formally here, and the cold weather has arrived (not to mention playoff football), I have a hankering for good buffalo chicken wings. And 'not' tenders, wingdings, or any other wannabees.

Does anyone know of any place within 10 miles of Wolfeboro that makes really good wings? (I searched Yelp and other online forums and didn't find anything that stands out).

Thanks!

Woodsy 01-09-2018 01:00 PM

If you come to the dark side of the lake.... We have the award winning Looney Bin Buffalo wings! Sooo freakin good!

Woodsy

daveschappell 01-09-2018 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 289713)
If you come to the dark side of the lake.... We have the award winning Looney Bin Buffalo wings! Sooo freakin good!

Woodsy

I'm willing to drive over to Weirs for crazy-good wings -- I'll report back on how they stack up! :liplick:

Biggd 01-09-2018 04:57 PM

Quote:

Woodsy

What do you mean by the dark side of the lake? I think it's the best side.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

ishoot308 01-09-2018 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveschappell (Post 289716)
I'm willing to drive over to Weirs for crazy-good wings -- I'll report back on how they stack up! :liplick:

Though I have not tried them, I have heard nothing but great things about the Looney Bin’s wings! While your on that side of the lake, stop by the Lyons Den bar for some more excellent wings!

Good luck on you wing adventure!

Dan

mneck1814 01-09-2018 05:13 PM

I went to college in Buffalo and I once flew home next to someone who carried on 5 dozen wings for their Super Bowl party in Boston! Anchor Bar, the place that invented wings, has a location in the Buffalo airport and the guy had called his order in when he got on the plane from Boston to Buffalo, an Anchor Bar employee had the wings ready for him at the gate and he basically turned around, got back on the plane and returned to Boston. So you could always hop a plane to Buffalo and pick up the real deal!:laugh:

joey2665 01-09-2018 05:58 PM

T Bones/Cactus Jacks

Quote:

Originally Posted by mneck1814 (Post 289730)
I went to college in Buffalo and I once flew home next to someone who carried on 5 dozen wings for their Super Bowl party in Boston! Anchor Bar, the place that invented wings, has a location in the Buffalo airport and the guy had called his order in when he got on the plane from Boston to Buffalo, an Anchor Bar employee had the wings ready for him at the gate and he basically turned around, got back on the plane and returned to Boston. So you could always hop a plane to Buffalo and pick up the real deal!:laugh:

T Bones/Cactus jacks in Laconia have excellent wings. If you like them really crispy, like I do get them tiki style and the buffalo sauce on the side.

I am literally 500 yards from Loony Bin and did not know they had award winning wings. Going to give them a try during the fishing derby.

Outdoorsman 01-09-2018 05:59 PM

Quote:

Woodsy

Are these soaked in "Franks Red Hot sauce" as most places do, or are they something better?

Biggd 01-09-2018 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mneck1814 (Post 289730)

That must have neen a smelly flight. I use to work with a guy that would get the hottest wings he could get for lunch. They were so hot he would be sweating eating them. The place smelled of hot sauce for days.

Biggd 01-09-2018 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 289736)
That must have neen a smelly flight. I use to work with a guy that would get the hottest wings he could get for lunch. They wete so hot he would ne sweating eating them. The place smelled of hot sauce for days.

My fingers are just too big for this phone. LOL!

Hillcountry 01-09-2018 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 289736)
That must have neen a smelly flight. I use to work with a guy that would get the hottest wings he could get for lunch. They wete so hot he would ne sweating eating them. The place smelled of hot sauce for days.

Was his name Jeff by any chance? We used to have a keyboard player in our band that did the same thing...used to bring his own sauce to restaurants and clubs where we played because the house sauce was never hot enough.
One time when he was eating some my eyes were burning from 10 feet away...

Biggd 01-09-2018 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 289738)
Was his name Jeff by any chance? We used to have a keyboard player in our band that did the same thing...used to bring his own sauce to restaurants and clubs where we played because the house sauce was never hot enough.

No his name was not Jeff. I don't know how they can eat them that hot! :eek:

joey2665 01-10-2018 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 289738)

I love wings and I love them hot and crispy but not so hot that my eyes are tearing and my nose running. That is just not and enjoyable experience.

fatlazyless 01-10-2018 09:07 AM

... what, no Meredith hot wings bar?

For $8.99/lb plus 9% NH-meals tax, the Hannafords in Gilford and Plymouth have a hot chicken wings bar that usually has a hot sauced, boneless, Louisiana style hot wing. Last summer, the price got reduced to 6.99/lb.

The wings bar in Plymouth always has more variety than the one at the Gilford store, and includes about three styles of wings w/bones intact, and two styles without bones, plus onion rings, potato wedges, cheese doobies, and chicken rolls.

Unfortunately, the Meredith NH Hannafords has neither a hot wings bar or a salad bar. All they have is an olive bar which has lots of different olives which look like they have been sitting there for 100-years, since Le Grand Bataille de Belgium. :eek:

daveschappell 01-10-2018 09:17 AM

Thank you, everyone, for all the replies -- incredibly helpful! :)

Biggd 01-10-2018 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 289756)
For $8.99/lb plus 9% NH-meals tax, the Hannafords in Gilford and Plymouth have a hot chicken wings bar that usually has a hot sauced, boneless, Louisiana style hot wing. Last summer, the price got reduced to 6.99/lb.

The wings bar in Plymouth always has more variety than the one at the Gilford store, and includes about three styles of wings w/bones intact, and two styles without bones, plus onion rings, potato wedges, cheese doobies, and chicken rolls.

Unfortunately, the Meredith NH Hannafords has neither a hot wings bar or a salad bar. All they have is an olive bar which has lots of different olives which look like they have been sitting there for 100-years, since Le Grand Bataille de Belgium. :eek:

What, no wings at Walmart? You need something to munch on while you're getting that $19.88 oil change on the Porsche. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

joey2665 01-10-2018 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 289756)

I've had the wings at Hannafords. They really are not that good and many times they are laying around for hours.

Doobs41378 01-10-2018 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 289762)
I've had the wings at Hannafords. They really are not that good and many times they are laying around for hours.

I’d imagine just reheated from the day before. I can’t imagine they throw it away every night.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Biggd 01-10-2018 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 289762)

That's why they drop the price to $6.99/lb and even that's too much.

winlessinnh 01-10-2018 09:50 AM

Anchor Bar

Why not just order them from the Anchor Bar on line. https://www.anchorbar.com/store.html

Biggd 01-10-2018 10:07 AM

I've yet to try the Looney Bin but I have heard nothing but good things about it. It's always busy when I drive by. Even though I was a biker when I met my wife she's not a big biker crowd fan so I will have to try it on my own.
Bike weekend is a dad's weekend at my place and I aim to keep it that way.:D

fatlazyless 01-10-2018 10:41 AM

......slightly off topic ..... but, what the hay? ...... say there buddy! .....is the NH 9% meals and rental tax on Hannafords' chicken wings deductible from federal taxes similar to the local property tax which now has a $10,000 limit?

baygo 01-10-2018 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 289766)
I've yet to try the Looney Bin but I have heard nothing but good things about it. It's always busy when I drive by. Even though I was a biker when I met my wife she's not a big biker crowd fan so I will have to try it on my own.

The only reason anybody would mention a chicken wing from any place other than the Loony Bin is because they haven't tried the Loony Bin.

It's not limited to the biker crowd. I prefer to think of it as a place where I can sneak away to when life is just a little bit crazy.

AC2717 01-10-2018 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 289768)
......slightly off topic ..... but, what the hay? ...... say there buddy! .....is the NH 9% meals and rental tax on Hannafords' chicken wings deductible from federal taxes similar to the local property tax which now has a $10,000 limit?

no it is prepared food

much like lobsters, if buy uncooked it is not taxed, if cooked it is prepared and then it is taxed

VitaBene 01-10-2018 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 289766)

Good plan!! The Bin is a great place

VitaBene 01-10-2018 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baygo (Post 289769)
The only reason anybody would mention a chicken wing from any place other than the Loony Bin is because they haven't tried the Loony Bin.

It's not limited to the biker crowd. I prefer to think of it as a place where I can sneak away to when life is just a little bit crazy.

Ray, hope to see you in there sometime... perhaps we need a LB forumfest!

upthesaukee 01-10-2018 12:33 PM

Just a personal preference. I happen to like Buffalo Wild Wings, usually in Rochester. I like the variety of spices or sauces. My wife and I went from an ok place for wins and a beer, plus maybe some interesting sports on TV, to really liking the wings after one waitress asked us if we had ever tried them "extra crispy". We hadn't, we did, and we really liked them. That's how we order them all the time now.

Dave

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

joey2665 01-10-2018 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 289781)
Just a personal preference. I happen to like Buffalo Wild Wings, usually in Rochester. I like the variety of spices or sauces. My wife and I went from an ok place for wins and a beer, plus maybe some interesting sports on TV, to really liking the wings after one waitress asked us if we had ever tried them "extra crispy". We hadn't, we did, and we really liked them. That's how we order them all the time now.

Dave

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Mental note on the extra crispy. Thank you

Woodsy 01-10-2018 01:17 PM

Outdoorsman.... Michelle @ Looney Bin makes her own Buffalo Wing Sauce. I am not privy to the ingredient list! I can tell you its awesome! Actually all of the stuff on her menu is AWESOME!

I do order my wings "extra crispy"

If you want to try something different.... try the Buffalo Chicken Nachos! Effing AMAZING!

Woodsy

jbolty 01-10-2018 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 289783)
Outdoorsman.... Michelle @ Looney Bin makes her own Buffalo Wing Sauce. I am not privy to the ingredient list! I can tell you its awesome! Actually all of the stuff on her menu is AWESOME!

I do order my wings "extra crispy"

If you want to try something different.... try the Buffalo Chicken Nachos! Effing AMAZING!

Woodsy

Extra crispy is the way to go, unless of course the place normally cooks them enough.

NOTHING is worse than undercooked wings with flabby fatty skin.

Seems like the more simple something is, the easier it is to screw it up.
  1. Cook wings thoroughly, but not over done.
  2. Don't drown in a gallon of sauce.
  3. Have a good variety of sauces or dry rub versions of various heat levels.
  4. Plenty of decent quality napkins.

winnitru 01-12-2018 02:00 PM

The Meat market on Mill Street has buffalo marinated wings that are ready for the grill or the oven. They are a staple in our house on football weekends

baygo 01-12-2018 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 289778)
Ray, hope to see you in there sometime... perhaps we need a LB forumfest!

Yes it would be nice to bump into you there as well. My visits there are sporadic and unpredictable. Most common in the summer time. Mid-day, on a day when every piece of maintenance equipment I touch breaks down.

This thread did create a hankering for some wings. I just left LB and the wings were fantastic.

Wish I could get there by sled

Greene's Basin Girl 01-12-2018 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 289727)
What do you mean by the dark side of the lake? I think it's the best side.

Each and every side of the lake is the best side of the lake. Beauty is is the eye of the beholder!

garysanfran 01-14-2018 02:46 AM

Just saw an interesting recipe...

Using turkey wings!!!

For years I've made them using chicken thighs...meatier than wings. May try the turkey thing while watching the Patriots in the Superbowl.

Hillcountry 01-16-2018 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 289951)
Using turkey wings!!!

For years I've made them using chicken thighs...meatier than wings. May try the turkey thing while watching the Patriots in the Superbowl.

I think turkey wings are too boney for wings...no little drumstick on them...

Blstr88 02-01-2018 06:01 AM

Its not exactly NEAR wolfeboro...but no further of a drive than Laconia really...

Willys Ale Room over in Acton, ME on Rt 109 has the BEST chicken wings anywhere in the Northeast!

BroadHopper 02-01-2018 06:47 AM

Chicken Wings

Looney Bin at the Weirs followed by Shooter's and Brookside Pizza, both in Belmont. If you are traveling from Portsmouth, pick up your order at Wing Itz! Best in NH!

daveschappell 02-01-2018 08:32 PM

I checked out photos on all of the recent recommendations, and they all look outstanding & have been added to my 'starred locations' on Google Maps -- you all are awesome!

Woodsy 02-02-2018 12:09 PM

Looney Bin got #4 on the recent WMUR Best Wings!

Woodsy

baygo 02-02-2018 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 290550)
Looney Bin got #4 on the recent WMUR Best Wings!

Woodsy

Good for them, but they deserve better. I reiterated the only reason somebody would vote for somebody else's is because they haven't tried the loony bin's .

garysanfran 02-02-2018 01:56 PM

A recipe I've used often...

I substitute thighs and increase the time by about 50%. Crispy skin...I guess Sunday I'll be doing this again!

Ingredients
12 whole chicken wings (use thighs)
3 ounces unsalted butter
1 small clove garlic, minced (use 2)
1/4 cup hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions
Place a 6-quart saucepan with a steamer basket and 1-inch of water in the
bottom, over high heat, cover and bring to a boil.
Remove the tips of the wings and discard or save for making stock. Using kitchen shears, or a knife, separate the wings at the joint. Place the wings into the steamer basket, cover, reduce the heat to medium and steam for 10 minutes. Remove the wings from the basket and carefully pat dry. Lay the wings out on a cooling rack set in a half sheet pan lined with paper towels and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Replace the paper towels with parchment paper. Roast on the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes. Turn the wings over and cook another 20 minutes or until meat is cooked through and the skin is golden brown.
While the chicken is roasting, melt the butter in a small bowl along with the
garlic. Pour this along with hot sauce and salt into a bowl large enough to hold all of the chicken and stir to combine.
Remove the wings from the oven and transfer to the bowl and toss with the sauce.
Serve warm. Rated: 4 stars out of 588 Reviews

Open another beer...

ishoot308 02-02-2018 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by winlessinnh (Post 289765)
Why not just order them from the Anchor Bar on line. https://www.anchorbar.com/store.html

I tried some of those last weekend and cooked them up while we were ice fishing. They were great!!

joey2665 02-02-2018 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 290562)
I tried some of those last weekend and cooked them up while we were ice fishing. They were great!!

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hillcountry 02-02-2018 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 290562)

Looks yummy! So do you just re-heat these wings or cook from raw?

ishoot308 02-02-2018 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 290570)
Looks yummy! So do you just re-heat these wings or cook from raw?

They come cooked, just reheat. I bought some of their buffalo wing sauce and that too was great!

Dan

Hillcountry 02-02-2018 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 290574)
They come cooked, just reheat. I bought some of their buffalo wing sauce and that too was great!

Dan

Thanks! I’ll have to try these!

baygo 02-02-2018 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 290574)

Dan

I'm seldom one to criticize prices of food but, $1.99 Per wing when ordering at least 100. That is very steep. Seems to be priced for a half price coupon. Can't remember which night it is but I think looney bin has a .50 per wing special.

ishoot308 02-02-2018 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baygo (Post 290578)
I'm seldom one to criticize prices of food but, $1.99 Per wing when ordering at least 100. That is very steep. Seems to be priced for a half price coupon. Can't remember which night it is but I think looney bin has a .50 per wing special.

No doubt they are expensive but this is the place that invented the buffalo wing so I had to try them for nostalgic purposes!

I wouldn’t doubt if Looney Bins are better. As soon as I try them I will let you know!

Dan

baygo 02-02-2018 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 290579)
No doubt they are expensive but this is the place that invented the buffalo wing so I had to try them for nostalgic purposes!

I wouldn’t doubt if Looney Bins are better. As soon as I try them I will let you know!

Dan

Oh.. That makes sense now Dan.

I started eating wings back in the early 80's in Fort Lauderdale. On special for .05 each. My girlfriend and I would get 100 wings and a Picture of beer for $10.

I don't believe I have ever had an original. I look forward to your assessment of LB