Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Tree removal... (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23914)

garysanfran 10-09-2018 12:09 PM

Tree removal...

I have several VERY tall trees I need taken out. I have been talking to a company named Arbor Tech, Courtney Kelly.

Questions...
  • Is a contractor's license necessary, advised?
  • What should I request for proof of insurance?
  • Any experience with this company
  • Any other suggestions? He say he can do it without a crane!

AC2717 10-09-2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 303421)
I have several VERY tall trees I need taken out. I have been talking to a company named Arbor Tech, Courtney Kelly.

Questions...

search threads on topic, yes he can do it, without the crane, they cimb the tree, shouldn't have less than $1million in liability coverage, i have worked with them multiple times on a personal and company level, best in the business

thinkxingu 10-09-2018 12:43 PM

If you're looking for a second option, Top Notch has been awesome to work with.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Diana 10-09-2018 01:31 PM

Court has taken several large trees down for us, right next to the cabin. He is a skilled climber and did everything with no crane. Great work with the least environmental impact and fun to watch too.

Geneva Point 10-09-2018 01:51 PM

Arbor Tech is very good. Make sure they have workers comp insurance, as well as liability coverage as previously mentioned. Also, ask that you me named as "additional insured" on the Certificate of Insurance and have Courtney give you a copy of the Certificate showing all of the above.

SIKSUKR 10-09-2018 01:59 PM

Big thumbs up from me for Court also. Actually, I need him to do more work for me.

Charlie T 10-09-2018 02:15 PM

Courtney all the way

As others have said, Arbortech all the way. Courtney is first class with great work and a fair price.

Not to Worry 10-09-2018 05:07 PM

Contact Info

Can anyone post Arbor Tech contact information? Thanks

Charlie T 10-09-2018 05:44 PM

5 second google search

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not to Worry (Post 303431)
Can anyone post Arbor Tech contact information? Thanks

https://www.arbortechnh.com/

fatlazyless 10-10-2018 01:33 AM

Greenleaf Tree Service, Moultonborough

Had Greenleaf Tree Experts, Moultonboro take down a large pine and a large pin oak about 18-months ago, and would use them again. A smooth removal job using a huge Manitowoc crane in tight quarters close to pricey, mega-mega-mega million dollar, big-big, waterfront mansions.

www.Greenleaftreenh.com is a cut above all the other tree services because their website has 13 different color photos that identify the "Most Common Trees in NH":

Beech Tree

Hemlock

Red Oak

Spruce Fir

Sugar Maple

White Pine

White Ash

White Birch

Yellow Birch

Eastern Red Cedar

Macintosh Apple Tree

Flowering Dogwood

Hackberry Tree

www.greenleaftreenh.com/trees-in-nh.html

ApS 10-10-2018 04:10 AM

How to Make a Bigger Mess of One's Property...

Quote:

Questions...

"VERY tall trees" suggests White Pines. A neighbor's White Pine—two cottages over—must be 150' tall! If there weren't a hundred of other trees between us—uprooted by wind, it'd be tall enough to have it reach our roof. :(

Dead trees are another matter, but keep in mind that homeowners' insurance would pay for a new roof. :idea: (And they don't seem to bother with a count of your trees when establishing one's premium). :confused:

But all trees, in aggregate, tend to support one another against windstorm damage.

When the Wolfeboro Airpark property got a self-described "trimming" of White Pines, a windstorm came through a few weeks later, and uprooted dozens of "left-behind" trees! :eek:

https://i.servimg.com/u/f91/18/11/38/95/knockd10.jpg

pjard 10-10-2018 05:45 AM

Quote:

Questions...

Courtney and the team at Arbor Tech were fantastic. Just had them at my house for a full day of work. I couldn't be any happier.

DesertDweller 10-10-2018 09:54 AM

We also used Greenleaf and they were very good. Took down three trees and trimmed up a Japanese Maple tree which I was really nervous about because it has gotten so nice. Turned out great. Couldn't be happier.

JEEPONLY 10-10-2018 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geneva Point (Post 303425)
Arbor Tech is very good. Make sure they have workers comp insurance, as well as liability coverage as previously mentioned. Also, ask that you me named as "additional insured" on the Certificate of Insurance and have Courtney give you a copy of the Certificate showing all of the above.

I have tree issues, too. Arbor Tech seems to be the forerunner here. Can anyone address this quote?

garysanfran 10-10-2018 03:47 PM

Hired Arbor Tech to do my job....

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEEPONLY (Post 303455)
I have tree issues, too. Arbor Tech seems to be the forerunner here. Can anyone address this quote?

I asked Courtney to provide me with all of the above in proof-of-insurance...No problem.

Not sure if this addresses your need?

JEEPONLY 10-10-2018 04:00 PM

Thank you.
Yes, it does. I was just wondering if this was a normal operating procedure, as no one else had mentioned it

Charlie T 10-10-2018 05:52 PM

COI is pretty standard

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEEPONLY (Post 303461)
Thank you.
Yes, it does. I was just wondering if this was a normal operating procedure, as no one else had mentioned it

A certificate of insurance with the home owner being listed as an "additional insured" is a pretty standard item for any reputable business. If they balk at providing one RUN LIKE HELL!

Without insurance coverage you are liable if anyone get injured or any property damaged. My company issues them to our customers on a regular basis, it's a quick email to the insurance company. I just requested and received one for heating system work that I'm having done. I'm sure Arbortech provided one when I had them do tree work for me in the past. Insist on it. The butt you save will be your own!

Poor Richard 10-10-2018 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie T (Post 303463)
A certificate of insurance with the home owner being listed as an "additional insured" is a pretty standard item for any reputable business.

That's your opinion.

Any reputable business will have insurance that covers the business and the jobs it is performing, end of story. Due to varying commitment levels from customers, your "quick email" would end up being 30 "quick emails" every day for any company that is reasonably busy.

For whatever it's worth, not once have I had a customer ask to be added to my company insurance as it's redundant to do so.

Charlie T 10-10-2018 08:39 PM

Ask a lawyer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poor Richard (Post 303464)
That's your opinion.

Any reputable business will have insurance that covers the business and the jobs it is performing, end of story. Due to varying commitment levels from customers, your "quick email" would end up being 30 "quick emails" every day for any company that is reasonably busy.

For whatever it's worth, not once have I had a customer ask to be added to my company insurance as it's redundant to do so.

I"m not a lawyer but as I understand it, by being listed as as "additional insured" it offers direct protection to the customer/ home owner. AND it prevents the contractor from canceling the insurance or allowing it to lapse during the period of the work being performed.

Yes it's my opinion but I believe it will be shared by anyone with even the most basic understanding of contract law. If as a contractor you offer the COI on a regular basis it will be only a quick email to your insurance company. Adding customers as an additional insured is done everyday all over this country. If you have a business that performs "30 projects a day" as you claim, I contend that you should have plenty of office staff to efficiently get these certs with little hassle. You will never obtain a contract for work with any large firm or Govt. entity without that insurance cert. Its just a standard cost of doing business in this society.

I'll state it again, any contractor who offers any resistance to providing the cert has something to hide whether it be a total lack of insurance or low limits that won't satisfy a reasonable judgement and should be avoided.

I invite the opinion on this from the many business people who populate this forum.

garysanfran 10-10-2018 09:34 PM

Additionally insured...

Courtney at Arbor Tech readily agreed to this request and told me to expect a communique from his insurance agency in the next couple of days. I have no idea what the technical advantages are to me to be listed as additional insured as suggested by Geneva Point, but Courtney just nodded his head to my request, a request I would never have thought of without the help you participants provide. Thank you Geneva Point and all the other feedbacks!

Gonna be fun watching these guys take these white pines down...They be big! He's got a "chipper" that can do a 15" diameter tree...Seems extraordinary to my little brain.

Poor Richard 10-11-2018 05:28 AM

Charlie, we are in complete agreement regarding business insurance however I disagree with your comment that a company is not considered reputable if they aren't regularly listing their customers as additional insured....unless I'm misreading/ misinterpreting your post.

ApS 10-11-2018 05:57 AM

Bartlett is Big—yet Local...

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 303466)
Courtney at Arbor Tech readily agreed to this request and told me to expect a communique from his insurance agency in the next couple of days. I have no idea what the technical advantages are to me to be listed as additional insured as suggested by Geneva Point, but Courtney just nodded his head to my request, a request I would never have thought of without the help you participants provide. Thank you Geneva Point and all the other feedbacks! Gonna be fun watching these guys take these white pines down...They be big! He's got a "chipper" that can do a 15" diameter tree...Seems extraordinary to my little brain.

I had Bartlett (of Wolfeboro) direct Maple and Hemlock chips to a low point on our lot. It was gratifying to watch a "free" load of mulch returned to the soil from which it came. (Supervisor and arborist Kirk Titus is a NH native—and Brewster Academy alumnus).

Quote:

Kirk Titus, our local arborist and Wolfeboro native has cared for Wolfeboro's trees for almost 40 of those years.
http://www.wolfeborochamber.com/dire...perts/details/

mcdude 10-11-2018 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 303469)
I had Bartlett (of Wolfeboro) direct Maple and Hemlock chips to a low point on our lot. It was gratifying to watch a "free" load of mulch returned to the soil from which it came. (Supervisor and arborist Kirk Titus is a NH native—and Brewster Academy alumnus).

I had Bartlett (Kirk Titus) do some work on my property. Very professional, good communication and they did a nice job. 637 Center Street, Wolfeboro, NH 03894 603-569-3163

https://www.bartlett.com/bartlett-locations.cfm

fatlazyless 10-11-2018 06:46 AM

For the do-it-your-selfer:

For $15, Ocean State Job Lot has these very light weight, aluminum extension pole handles, maybe 20'-long, designed for cleaning the bottom of a swimming pool.

For $25, Walmart has a Fiskars tree trimmer, hand saw, extension pole .... about 15' long

With a little tinkering, the two can be combined together which will make a hand saw with a 30' reach, good for trimm'n tree limbs way up there, while you stand on the ground.

A pine limb only takes about five saw strokes before it snaps, and comes down fast. Happens every time with pine.

An oak limb takes maybe 100-strokes and will not come down until sawed all the way through.

A bicycle helmet and eye protection glasses/googles is recommended for your personal safety, while you never leave the safety of standing on the ground ..... unless you need some extra height, or extra waterfront out reach, by standing up top of a big step-ladder, as well.

And, be aware of overhead electric lines!

Oh yeah, and then you is left with a big pile of tree limbs you need to lose ....... holy smokes ...... like, who knew this would happen?

Charlie T 10-11-2018 08:05 AM

Let me clarify

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poor Richard (Post 303468)
Charlie, we are in complete agreement regarding business insurance however I disagree with your comment that a company is not considered reputable if they aren't regularly listing their customers as additional insured....unless I'm misreading/ misinterpreting your post.

The intent of my comments was to state that if a company is hesitant or refuses to provide a insurance cert and to list you as an additional insured that you should proceed with caution. My company carries expensive Workers Comp and Liability insurance. We are happy to provide insurance certs to any customer who requests them, it's no big deal to do so.

Descant 10-14-2018 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diana (Post 303424)
Court has taken several large trees down for us, right next to the cabin. He is a skilled climber and did everything with no crane. Great work with the least environmental impact and fun to watch too.

We were very happy with Arbortech for work on Welch Island.

jr616 10-15-2018 12:47 PM

Arbor Tech 2 Thumbs up 2 Trees Down

Court and his guys took 2 trees of my property this spring and they did an amazing job! Get on their schedule soon - it gets filled quick! :)