Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Big Banana CSA Weekly Shares available (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12085)

PapaDon 05-17-2011 04:28 PM

Big Banana CSA Weekly Shares available

Although the Seasonal Shares have sold out, we still offer our Weekly Shares. These can be ordered each week by Tuesday at 10 p.m. for pickup the following Saturday from 8am-Noon at Patrice's Farm, 33 Gunstock Hill Rd in Gilford.

New this year is the "cut-your-own" herb garden, with a variety of herbs planted between flagstone walks. Rosemary, Lemon Balm, Thyme, Summer Savory, and more are growing there for you.

Our first pickup was this past Saturday, May 14. We were happy to have some new faces as well as "old friends". We're looking forward to this Saturday's pickup!

PapaDon 05-24-2011 12:00 PM

Second Saturday pickup

Our second pickup on Sat. the 21st went well. Besides the organic vegetable baskets, we had some bread baskets and baked treats from both Laconia Village Bakery and Patrice's Farm, jams and jellies from Patrice's Farm, as well as extra rhubarb and carrots. So even if you don't order a basket, come on by Saturdays between 8 and Noon to see what we have available. :liplick:

The taste-test item this week was potato soup, made from the recipe in last week's Newsletter. You can sign up to get the newsletter on our website www.bigbanana.org. The subscription form is near the top of the right column.

SIKSUKR 05-24-2011 02:26 PM

I don't want to be the Debbie Downer but isn't this using the forum threads for advertising without being asked about your product:confused:?Apologize in advance if I'm out of line here.:emb:

PapaDon 05-25-2011 12:07 AM

Sorry

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR (Post 157966)
I don't want to be the Debbie Downer but isn't this using the forum threads for advertising without being asked about your product:confused:?Apologize in advance if I'm out of line here.:emb:

I hadn't thought about it that way, sorry. Since we're a buying group of families rather than a business, it didn't occur to me that it was advertising. Since about 20% of our website hits come from the forums here, I assumed there was interest, but I do see how it could be seen as advertising. I'll quit posting about it.

jrc 05-25-2011 05:47 AM

All businesses are groups of families. Some are just bigger groups.

Why not just buy a banner ad? You keep your website hits and support our favorite forum.

webmaster 05-25-2011 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaDon (Post 158022)
I'll quit posting about it.

Please don't quit keeping us informed about the CSA. I will let you know if there is a problem.

Rattlesnake Gal 05-25-2011 07:51 AM

Good Question - Why it is Okay for this CSA

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR (Post 157966)
I don't want to be the Debbie Downer, but isn't this using the forum threads for advertising without being asked about your product :confused:? Apologize in advance if I'm out of line here. :emb:

If this was a normal for profit business, you would be correct. Supporting businesses and organizations that give much more to the community than they receive, deserve support from us here at Winnipesaukee.com. This business, Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) would fall under the same category as our local Food Banks and Lakes Region Playhouse. I don't think letting them post information is the same as advertising.

SIKSUKR 05-25-2011 02:18 PM

Sorry

I hear you loud and clear.I didn't realize it was a non profit.I knew I should have minded my own business.:emb:

PapaDon 05-26-2011 12:05 AM

Ok

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 158027)
Please don't quit keeping us informed about the CSA. I will let you know if there is a problem.

OK, I'll continue posting about relevant things, but not about the "extra" items our farms have to sell, so as to keep the commercial intent out.

PapaDon 05-26-2011 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR (Post 158091)
I hear you loud and clear.I didn't realize it was a non profit.I knew I should have minded my own business.:emb:

Well, it was a good learning experience for us, anyway. :)

While the individual farms are for-profit (or maybe breakeven - you know how dependent farmers are on growing conditions!), the CSA itself is not set up to make a profit. The Big Banana CSA buys in bulk from the farms at a good price, using almost all the $s we bring in to do so - a small amount pays for website, paper, ink, etc. Much time is donated by the admins to keep it going. Last year, Franklin Savings Bank in Gilford was a sponsor, letting us use their parking lot for free for the Saturday a.m. pickups and this year providing reuseable shopping bags for a $2 donation to Baby Threads, a local 501c3 charity.

Thanks to all for supporting us as we try to help families get organic produce and other items from local and regional growers and producers at a reasonable price.

PapaDon 05-30-2011 10:05 PM

Weekly Info

This past Saturday, our CSA items included some items from winter storage: potatoes, onions, rutabagas, and parsnips. Fresh items included a salad mix of Spring greens; rhubarb; and alfalfa sprouts.

This coming Saturday, we expect to have hydroponic tomatoes from Vermont (had to go a bit further away than usual to find them), along with onions, rutabagas, Spring greens, spinach (if all goes well with the crop), and alfalfa sprouts.

With Spring finally showing up, we hope to have more and more fresh items "soonly". :liplick: