Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Boating Advisory on Winter Harbor... (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24951)

ApS 09-01-2019 01:02 PM

Boating Advisory on Winter Harbor...

Along this shore, we have maybe 3 or 4 regular swimmers.

One stranger has come by in the past week apparently determined to live a death wish. My neighbor tells me he swims a sharp turn in front of his place, and swims the ¾ mile across Winter Harbor! :eek: There's no accompanying boat. :rolleye1:

He can be identified by a white float that he drags behind his back. It's about the size of a loaf of bread—or a sea gull...:eek2:

That's all you can see. :confused: The NHMP hasn't been seen for a couple of weeks here, so perhaps boaters who see this swimmer would advise him accordingly.

Winter Harbor is still being used as a race course for ocean-racers, Scarabs, Fountains, Baja and Donzi—and seeing especially "heavy use" since Thursday. :(

fatlazyless 09-01-2019 02:25 PM

As far as I know, these swimmer's tow along floats usually come in bright yellow, orange, and pink. Have never seen one in white, so could be a white Clorox bottle, home made, tow along float? Have seen that using a two gal, plastic Clorox bottle.

The tow behind floats cost about $30.

Cal Coon 09-02-2019 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 318739)
Along this shore, we have maybe 3 or 4 regular swimmers.

One stranger has come by in the past week apparently determined to live a death wish. My neighbor tells me he swims a sharp turn in front of his place, and swims the ¾ mile across Winter Harbor! :eek: There's no accompanying boat. :rolleye1:

He can be identified by a white float that he drags behind his back. It's about the size of a loaf of bread—or a sea gull...:eek2:

That's all you can see. :confused: The NHMP hasn't been seen for a couple of weeks here, so perhaps boaters who see this swimmer would advise him accordingly.

Winter Harbor is still being used as a race course for ocean-racers, Scarabs, Fountains, Baja and Donzi—and seeing especially "heavy use" since Thursday. :(

I would put this guy in the same category as people who stay home while a category 5 hurricane is coming. "You are at your own risk". Good luck.

rsmlp 09-02-2019 11:32 AM

attentive captain

I mean it's kind of hard to miss a swimmer dragging a float using any degree of attentiveness. You don't drive towards loons do you?

camp guy 09-02-2019 11:41 AM

Boating advisory on Winter Harbor

True, swimming unattended in a large, open area is probably not advisable, BUT, that wasn't the point of the OP by ApS.

As I see it, the point was, nothing more-nothing less: Be advised that there is a swimmer (or more) in the open area of Winter Harbor and may not be highly visible to boaters.

I lived and boated in Winter Harbor for many years, and I can tell you without a doubt many, many boaters are NOT attentive to what they are doing while driving their boat.