Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Local Rental Places (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24291)

CaptT820 04-04-2019 09:10 AM

Local Rental Places

All-
I need to "modify" some boulders on my property next month and just wanted to know where the most convenient place wold be to rent a jackhammer from. We are in West Alton and I am just not familiar with local tool rental places, if there are any.

Thanks

garysanfran 04-04-2019 09:50 AM

Splitting rock...

I recently came across a product my neighbor used. It's a liquid you pour into drilled holes. Wait a few hours. It dries and expands and splits the rock exactly where you wanted. He removed a massive boulder this way.

Don't remember the products name.

ghfromaltonbay 04-04-2019 10:43 AM

Taylor Rental

There is a Taylor Rental on Route 11 in Farmington. Don't know if there are any in Laconia, but you can search for other Taylor locations.

thinkxingu 04-04-2019 12:11 PM

After reading this, I researched the liquids to blow stuff up. It appears there are two main brands, Ecobust and Dexpan, that work by being poured into holes and then expanding to crack the rock/stone. An 11 lb. bucket is ~$40, and holes still need to be drilled with a hammer drill, so I'm not sure of the overall value vs. a jackhammer/digging out.

Flyfisha 04-05-2019 05:39 AM

Expansion splitters

We had a couple of large boulders right next to our house that were too close to dynamite. We bored several holes in each and used an expansion material. After drilling several holes in them and applying the expansion splitter it made them much more manageable. The main advantage is that it is much less labor intensive than trying to break up the rock. After a while of riding a jack hammer you’ll get what I mean!

RUGMAN 04-05-2019 06:10 AM

I rented an electric jackhammer from taylor rental in Belmont, worked great, think it was about 90.00 for the day

fatlazyless 04-05-2019 08:15 AM

Wednesday is half price rental day at Rand's Hardware in Plymouth.

For 90-dollars, there, on half price Wednesday, you can rent a tracked Bobcat skid-steer with an articulated pneumatic jack hammer, all on a trailer and ready to go pound some of that NH gray granite!

It opens at 7-am .... plus there's k-cup coffee in five flavors for fifty cents ... including Lavazza espresso .... which will really make you want to go pound that granite ..... arrrgggg! ....:emb:

Biggd 04-05-2019 08:19 AM

Home Depot has rentals.

CaptT820 04-05-2019 10:51 AM

Rental

Thank you all. I have used Dexpan, but it becomes very expensive when you have as many rocks to modify as we do. Right now I have been drilling the holes and then using feather and wedge to split them. Time consuming and a bit more work, but the feathers and wedges can be reused multiple times.

I was asking about the jackhammer due to having some less precise work to undertake this spring. Thanks for the responses.

T