Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Snowmobiling (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Snowmobiling this weekend (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5649)

jetskier 02-24-2008 05:00 PM

Snowmobiling this weekend

Hi all,

We took the sleds out this weekend and it was absolutely amazing. The trails have plenty of snow and they have been nicely groomed. The local clubs have really done a nice job with the trails this year.

We went out onto Winnisquam and Winnipesaukee and both were generally smooth with about 6" of top coat. There are a few ice ridges out there, but generally open terrain.

Jetskier:cool:

boat_guy64 02-24-2008 07:24 PM

Awesome trails

Jetskier,

I have to second that. That trails were absolutely great. I was at Winnisquam, the Prison Loop, up to Plymouth, over to New Found. Trails were well kept and the groomers were out and about. The clubs are doing an awesome job with the trails. We may get a few more weeks out of these trails at this rate. Lots of snow and more coming on Tuesday evening.

brk-lnt 02-25-2008 08:19 AM

We did about 20 miles around SDS, Prison Loop, Rail Bed #15, etc. both Saturday and Sunday. Great riding both days.

sgold44 02-25-2008 03:48 PM

Alton Mtn. Trails

We rode the trails around Alton Mountain all week, & for the most part they were great. This is my first winter riding up here, & I'm having a blast. Is there anyone else out there that rides out of Alton Shores? :cool:

secondcurve 02-26-2008 06:21 AM

It sounds like there is another 12 inches of snow coming today and tonight followed by cold weather. It sounds like this incredible riding season is going to continue. I'll see you on the trails!

DRH 02-26-2008 07:36 PM

Beautiful Sunday!

This past Sunday a group of us cruised around the lake on our sleds and took the Moultonboro trail that goes near the Castle in the Clouds. It was a gorgeous day, and I took a couple photos on the frozen lake between Chase's Point and Chase's Island (I think!) in Moultonboro. You can see what a great day it was:

http://echoshores.com/Photos/Snowmobile/Babes_800.jpg

The "Babes on Sleds" - From left to right: DBA, Island Girl, Quilt Lady, and our friend Beverly.

http://echoshores.com/Photos/Snowmobile/View_800.jpg

The scenery out here is magnificent!

Formula260SS 02-26-2008 08:29 PM

Rock on Ladies !!

trfour 02-26-2008 08:35 PM

Awesome Photos, Don!

WOW, what a day!... Y'all need to plan a trip up to Black Snout Lookout, Mt. Shaw on a day like this while the sledding is so good! You can see the whole beautiful Lake from there. It's about 800' below the summit.
You can take the trail from Winter Harbor, right across the Broads from the western end of Rattlesnake Island. Also, you could make a loop ride from the Wolfeboro club's (Snack Shack,) there is a trail right beside it that go's to the Castle and MT. Shaw.

I sure wish I was there, I'd take you up myself.:emb:

Best wishes to you all and Happy sledding! :)

Island Girl 02-26-2008 10:07 PM

Snow Dance

Don't y'all love the result of our latest snow dance...

The Babes on Sleds!!

Skip 02-27-2008 08:37 AM

245 mile trip....

1 Attachment(s)
No doubt about it, this year has been one for the record books along with being the best season for snowmobiling in my memory, at least!

Sunday morning I left West Ossipee with paddler just to see how far we could go in a day. We headed north on Corridor 19 up through Evans Notch in Maine, back into NH along Route 2 in to Gorham then up to Berlin for fuel & snacks. Then it was up and over Jefferson Notch and eventually off at Fabyan's on Rte 302 for lunch. We then continued west to Twin Mountain, then down through fabulous Franconia Notch. On to Lincoln, Woodstock and eventually Plymouth for fuel and more snacks!

Then it was across Squam Lake and up and over the Sandwich Range and eventually back to West Ossipee, 11 hours and 245 miles later. What a fantastic and beautiful loop. It is amazing how beautiful the White Mountains and northern Lakes Region is when viewed from the seat of a snowmobile!

Below is a GPS track map of the trip:

Attachment 1729

Webbsatwinni 02-27-2008 08:44 AM

I had the great fortune to meet the famous "babes on sleds" in person over the weekend. It was just one of my many forum "to do's" that I can now check off.

IG, I hope the camera was OK and suffered no damage.

The snowmobiling was great, I have never been to the lake in the winter, I was amazed by the views and the activity level on the lake.

SIKSUKR 02-27-2008 08:53 AM

I saw you go by while I was hanging on the top of Cannon Mt Skip.Did you see me wave?What an awsome winter day Sunday was.No matter what your form of winter recreation is,there is nothing like being out there in spectacular late winter sunshine.Those of us that chose to have outdoor winter activities don't wait around for summer to enjoy the grandeur of NH.Get out there you couch monkeys it is truely a life altering way of life.Way to go babes!I think it's great to see you girls out on the snow.

Skip 02-27-2008 04:26 PM

Black Snout off limits

Quote:

Originally Posted by trfour (Post 64118)
...WOW, what a day!... Y'all need to plan a trip up to Black Snout Lookout, Mt. Shaw on a day like this while the sledding is so good! You can see the whole beautiful Lake from there. It's about 800' below the summit...

Unfortunately Black Snout has been placed off limits for several seasons now, a controversial decision made by the LRCT after they took over the property (and accepted many donations from snowmobilers in the region).

You can still access the top of Mount Shaw which affords beautiful views to the east of the Ossipee Lake region, Maine and north & northeast of the Sandwich Range, Mount Washington and the North Conway area.

On the backside as you exit Shaw you can catch glimpses of Winni on the way down to the Castle, but nothing like the view Black Snout used to offer.

But, Mount Shaw is still definitely worth the trip. I am leading an Ossipee Valley Snowmobile Club family trail ride to that very location this upcoming Sunday.

Maybe one day Black Snout will be back on the itinerary! :)

wifi 02-27-2008 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip (Post 64181)
Unfortunately Black Snout has been placed off limits for several seasons now, a controversial decision made by the LRCT after they took over the property (and accepted many donations from snowmobilers in the region)....

Yes, my favorite trail of all. Actually, this trail (where the view is) is on the lake side of Mt Faraway (from the top of Faraway, you can't see the lake that well) and the trail ends up on Mt Roberts at a loop. Black Snout does not have a trail to my knowledge and is over in Sandwich, owned by a private Logging/Development company.

Its very sad how the LRCT blocked access to this, did they ever bother to offer an explination? I do know they allow certain people up there, its the general public they don't. :(

WINNOCTURN 02-27-2008 07:20 PM

Should it be SUNDAY?

Quote:

Unfortunately Black Snout has been placed off limits for several seasons now, a controversial decision made by the LRCT after they took over the property (and accepted many donations from snowmobilers in the region).

You can still access the top of Mount Shaw which affords beautiful views to the east of the Ossipee Lake region, Maine and north & northeast of the Sandwich Range, Mount Washington and the North Conway area.

On the backside as you exit Shaw you can catch glimpses of Winni on the way down to the Castle, but nothing like the view Black Snout used to offer.

But, Mount Shaw is still definitely worth the trip. I am leading an Ossipee Valley Snowmobile Club family trail ride to that very location this upcoming Saturday.

Skip,

Your post on SledNH.com has the ride for Sunday, March 2nd, Correct? :cheers:

George

WINNOCTURN

secondcurve 02-27-2008 07:22 PM

Skip:

I am curious. Do you have to have any special registration/license, etc. for riding into Maine? It seems to me you do.

Thanks,

Mark

Skip 02-27-2008 07:36 PM

Cooperative trails

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondcurve (Post 64195)
Skip:

I am curious. Do you have to have any special registration/license, etc. for riding into Maine? It seems to me you do.

Thanks,

Mark

There are a handful of trails along the Maine and New Hampshire border that are known as "cooperative" trails. For example, Corridor 19 North in New Hampshire crosses in to Maine at the Chatham/Stowe border. At this point it becomes a joint trail, NH 19 and Maine ITS 80. Eventually this trail crosses back in to New Hampshire. As long as you stay on the well signed C19/ITS80 portion, your NH registration is valid in Maine. There are several trails like this on both borders.

But once you stray from a cooperative trail, lookout! These areas are likely patrolled for the obvious reason.

And yes George, sorry for the area....the trail ride is indeed Sunday!

Thanks....

secondcurve 02-28-2008 06:00 AM

Thanks Skip, as usual you are on top of the rules...

chipj29 02-28-2008 08:16 AM

This past Sunday, we took a ride from the house in Bow up to the top of Mt Kearsage. I wish I had my camera, you could see forever. I have been up there a few times, but never on a crystal clear day like Sunday was. Gorgeous!

trfour 02-28-2008 09:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

But, Mount Shaw is still definitely worth the trip. I am leading an Ossipee Valley Snowmobile Club family trail ride to that very location this upcoming Sunday.

Thanks for the update Skip,

Only got to take one quick ride to MT. Shaw last winter from Tamworth and back. I had no idea that Black Snout Lookout was closed and thought that issue had been straightened out. Good thing we didn't try to find it.

Here's an old pic I took from Black Snout Lookout, Lake Winni in overcast.

.....Alton left .................................................. .......................... Center Harbor right
Lower photo taken at the Summit of MT. Shaw, 2990' above sea level, last winter.

chaseisland 02-28-2008 11:41 AM

If you found chase's island in Moultonboro, please tell whoever moved it to return it to Tuftonboro. I can't stand another Moultonboro Winter!:laugh:

DRH 02-28-2008 12:41 PM

Island Relocation!

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaseisland (Post 64261)
If you found chase's island in Moultonboro, please tell whoever moved it to return it to Tuftonboro. I can't stand another Moultonboro Winter!:laugh:

Well the island's pretty well frozen into the ice at the moment, but come ice-out we can arrange to have it towed back over to Tuftonboro! :laugh:

mcdude 02-28-2008 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgold44 (Post 64026)
We rode the trails around Alton Mountain all week, & for the most part they were great. This is my first winter riding up here, & I'm having a blast. Is there anyone else out there that rides out of Alton Shores? :cool:

Scott: Here's someone else who has been "riding" (and napping) recently in the Alton Shores / Alton Mountain area......

Quote:

Snowmobiler, Found Lying on Alton Trail, Arrested for DWI
<SCRIPT>document.title = unescape("Snowmobiler%2C%20found%20lying%20on%20Al ton%20trail%2C%20arrested%20for%20DWI") + " - Fosters";</SCRIPT>
<TABLE><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>By CUTTER MITCHELL

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Article Date: Wednesday, February 27, 2008
A snowmobile driver was charged with driving while intoxicated after he was found lying across a popular trail in Alton Tuesday.

Glenn Larue was found by another snowmobiler, who had stopped to investigate an object blocking his path, lying across a frequently-used trail in the area of Avery Hill. The witness later told officers that Larue appeared to be sleeping in the middle of the trail.

When approached by the snowmobiler, Larue attempted to stand and get back on his sled, though he was unable to walk and fell back across the trail and seemed to go back to sleep.

It was then that the Alton Police Department was contacted and about a half-mile into the woods off Avery Road, officers Nick Skiba and Brett Murray came upon Larue. At that point, Larue had managed to get back to his snowmobile, climb on and was concentrating on getting his glove back on when approached by the Alton officers.

During the course of their conversation, both officers watched as Larue continually fell off his sled and got up again.

"All the indications were there that they were dealing with an impaired operator," said Alton Chief Philip Smith.

Larue was taken into police custody, given a Breathalyzer test and charged with driving while intoxicated as well as aggravated driving while intoxicated.

Smith explained that impaired recreation is a problem every summer with all-terrain vehicles and every winter with snowmobiles. However it has become worse this winter with the department receiving numerous complaints of reckless snowmobiling.

"Unfortunately, people try to enhance their recreation and overindulge," said Smith, explaining complaints his department has received range from cutting across lawns and near misses on the ice or trails to just plain reckless behavior.

In New Hampshire, driving while intoxicated is an enforceable offense when operating any vehicle with a motor. In fact, Smith explained that it even applies to a person riding a bicycle.

To curb this problem, the Alton Police Department will be teaming up with the New Hampshire Fish and Game. The two agencies will be working together on keeping a closer eye on snowmobilers, setting up sobriety check points and other measures to make sure no one is getting back on their sled for a ride after having too much to drink.

"The snow keeps coming and people are having a good time, but everyone needs to be responsible," said Smith.

<!-- Article.pbo END -->

jetskier 03-01-2008 11:24 PM

Deep Snow

The lakes region received about 2 feet of snow during the past week. We went riding today and found a lot of terrain variation. The groomers had not hit many of the trails around Laconia, but they were pretty packed by riders. Many of the trails have snow buildup on the edges, so watch for tipping.

There is a huge rut on the trail by the Weirs as you go around the General Store, I put the sled on its side going around that one. In addition, the trail from Waukewan over to Meredith has several washouts. That trail is pretty trecherous, I would avoid it for the moment.

The snow on the lake is about 18 inches deep and you will bog if you stop unless you ride in the tracks. In addition, it is difficult to keep control unless you are in the tracks.

It was an interesting day of riding, don't get to portage across too many trail washouts around here. :eek:

Jetskier:cool: