Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   RV hookup as possible option (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15152)

dykg 12-01-2012 10:26 AM

RV hookup as possible option

So I received my semi annual property tax bill and started thinking about my property and possible option to renting the home.Has anyone thought about setting up an area of your property (assuming you have the vacant space) for a RV hookup (electrical, water, cable). My property is in a great location and walking distance to all amenities. Has anyone done this? You would not have to worry about a renter damaging your home or have scheduling conflicts with the home. Am I off my rocker here? Thoughts welcomed.
Thanks,
DYKG

Slickcraft 12-01-2012 10:33 AM

Zoning?

Your town may have zoning restrictions on such use of RVs. You may be able to access the zoning regs online for your town.

dpg 12-01-2012 11:26 AM

Even if it was allowed in your town don't most people who hook up an RV to any site expect toilet facilities, place to drain to etc? Doesn't sound like it would work to me just my .02 :rolleye2:

Belmont Resident 12-02-2012 03:54 PM

Also

Cost to install a separate septic, power and water.
That is a lot of $ to recover.

camp guy 12-02-2012 05:51 PM

RV hookup as possible option

Zoning ordinances would be the controlling factor in this issue, and each Town has its own ordinances, however, if public water (ie., the Lake) is a factor then the ordinances get tougher and the State has a hand in the game.

I don't think I have seen this question on the Forum in the past, so this might bring a lot of comment. Certainly, on the face of it, with the right amount of land, it isn't all that bad of an idea.

Keep us posted.

ApS 12-03-2012 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belmont Resident (Post 195042)
Cost to install a separate septic, power and water. That is a lot of $ to recover.

A friend sent an experienced RV'er to me, asking if he could have a multi-seasonal rental of space on an empty lot adjacent to my FL home.

$$ :) $$.

He needed only house current for his bus-sized RV :confused: and would run a drain hose to my septic tank. :eek2: Cooling to this whole new concept, I sent him away with the excuse that the County wouldn't allow the steel RV carport he wanted to install at his expense. :rolleye1:

Quote:

Originally Posted by camp guy (Post 195045)
I don't think I have seen this question on the Forum in the past, so this might bring a lot of comment. Certainly, on the face of it, with the right amount of land, it isn't all that bad of an idea.

Like overnight anchoring and tying up to docks of friends, it's certain to be abused. :(

1) I've seen an RV brought in to a Winnipesaukee lakefront rental. It's that nearby cottage that shares one septic system with a new McMansion—and the added bedroom converted from the approved garage. For weekends, though, they can probably get away with it.

2) In the South, where land is spacious and cheap, I've seen one clever approach being the "storing" of a discarded yacht with on-board facilities—a landline for a small A/C—and a garden hose for water. :idea:

VitaBene 12-03-2012 01:59 PM

where are you living

Dykg, Are you planning on using the RV when you have renters or are you renting RV space?

dykg 12-03-2012 05:07 PM

I was just brainstorming and thinking about putting in the setup to rent the RV space. It would eliminate the need to rent the summer home. I don't know enough about this but thought it was an option since my property is located near all amenties (walking distance) and I had the space. I know I would need to look into zoning laws and think about whether someone would want to hookup without having a waste disposal/sewere available to them.

Belmont Resident 12-03-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dykg (Post 195090)
I was just brainstorming and thinking about putting in the setup to rent the RV space. It would eliminate the need to rent the summer home. I don't know enough about this but thought it was an option since my property is located near all amenties (walking distance) and I had the space. I know I would need to look into zoning laws and think about whether someone would want to hookup without having a waste disposal/sewere available to them.

I believe that in most states you cannot rent an RV space without having a dedicated sewer hookup.
Now if you own a lot you can pull a trailer onto the property and no one monitors what hookups you have if any.
We have a neighbor up in Maine that petitioned the town for 4 RV sites. Because he only owned 2 acres he was only allowed to have 2 RV's and put in a dedicated septic, water and electricity. That is Maine though NH may be different.

Winnisquamguy 12-03-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dykg (Post 195090)
I know I would need to look into zoning laws and think about whether someone would want to hookup without having a waste disposal/sewere available to them.

You could always just put in a 1200 gal septic tank and have it pumped once a year. A lot of towns will only allow a maximum number of weeks. I know Ossipee used to be 2 weeks.