Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   nav. charts (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24107)

arthurbreault 01-15-2019 06:24 AM

nav. charts

Hi, I'm new to boating on lake Winnipesaukee. I've boated in R.I. for years. Is there a good chart I can get. Something that will show the shallows, channel markers, anchorage? Looking forward to a summer on the lake

New to the lake. Art

Barney Bear 01-15-2019 06:42 AM

Welcome

Welcome to one of the most beautiful locations ever!

Obtain a BIZER chart available at many locations around "our" fantastic piece of heaven. Other forum members can provide information about other navigational aids.

Again, WELCOME!!! 🐻

Loub52 01-15-2019 06:44 AM

Try http://www.bizer.com for accurate laminated or electronic charts of Winni. If you do a search for “bizer” in the forum, you’ll also find a ton of interesting threads.

webmaster 01-15-2019 07:13 AM

Please help support this site by ordering a Bizer chart here:

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/index.php?pageid=store

Light Breeze 01-15-2019 08:23 AM

I use the chart and also Navionics app on my Iphone. Its easy to use and very accurate.

MAXUM 01-15-2019 12:28 PM

Anyone use a Garmin ECHOMAP Plus 63CV?

Just curious I picked one up for my new boat on Black Friday - killer price just couldn't pass on it. Just wondering how good that chart plotter is along with the pre-loaded maps. I care more about the fish finder but having the GPS and built in maps is a really nice feature.

I was going to get a Lowrance but after looking at them side by side the Garmin just seems like a better product.

Phantom 01-15-2019 03:27 PM

MAXUM -- we have the 53CV, which I think is essentially the same thing in a different package.

The "Stock" Chart is at best "okay" a lot of missing spars-- it will get you around the Lake in a pinch-- but we didn't like the lack of detail so opted to get the detailed LakeVu ULTRA SD card ( from Watermark Marine) as we are frequent night boaters.

After the upgrade -- AWESOME !!

It does take some time getting use to the functions/ controls … it was not as simple and intuitive as previous Garmin's we have had.

Very first tip is to dig deep into the menu settings and find (god knows how I tripped on it) the setting to ENLARGE the map view print/font to maximum -- this will allow reading the actual FL numbers and surprisingly all Black-Red Tops are associated with a number as well.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/576160

tis 01-15-2019 07:26 PM

Does Duncan make charts any more? Is Bizer the only show in town?

dt5150 01-16-2019 08:38 AM

i run a navionics hotmaps platinum card in my lowrance. i wouldn't be without it frankly.. has every buoy, marker, etc along with depths accurate to within 1-2 feet. it also has shore info as well, marinas, gas docks etc.

MAXUM 01-16-2019 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 306430)
MAXUM -- we have the 53CV, which I think is essentially the same thing in a different package.

The "Stock" Chart is at best "okay" a lot of missing spars-- it will get you around the Lake in a pinch-- but we didn't like the lack of detail so opted to get the detailed LakeVu ULTRA SD card ( from Watermark Marine) as we are frequent night boaters.

After the upgrade -- AWESOME !!

It does take some time getting use to the functions/ controls … it was not as simple and intuitive as previous Garmin's we have had.

Very first tip is to dig deep into the menu settings and find (god knows how I tripped on it) the setting to ENLARGE the map view print/font to maximum -- this will allow reading the actual FL numbers and surprisingly all Black-Red Tops are associated with a number as well.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/576160

So did some checking on this, Garmin just released their G3 maps... also the preloaded maps can be updated online - in fact it's pretty easy to do with the unit I got since it has built in WIFI can hook it up to my phone and download the latest updates on the fly. I assume they all work the same.

Since you already bought the "premo" maps probably doesn't matter per say but I believe even the ones on the SD cards can be regularly updated. I'll probably be fine with the preloaded maps - the only time I'll be out in that boat after dark is going back and forth from Island to Mainland and I can do that pretty much blind. In fact I did that a couple times at night in the fog which was a bit sketchy... this would have been a nice to have! It's amazing how messed up you can get at night!

anticd70 01-16-2019 09:05 PM

Buy a Bizer chart and download Navionics to your phone they are a winning combination. Also keep it slow with your head on a swivel looking out for markers and you will be fine.

arthurbreault 01-17-2019 08:45 AM

Thanks for all the help will be picking up a BIZER chart. Gps and chart plotters are grate, but you can't beat a compass and a paper chart. Looking forward to getting my feet wet. In R.I. we launched on Patriots day weekend, is that to early for the lake?

Art

MAXUM 01-17-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthurbreault (Post 306483)
Thanks for all the help will be picking up a BIZER chart. Gps and chart plotters are grate, but you can't beat a compass and a paper chart. Looking forward to getting my feet wet. In R.I. we launched on Patriots day weekend, is that to early for the lake?

Art

Maybe - maybe not. Pay attention to this site as there will be an official ice out thread, typically the lake is ice free the latter part of April.

Descant 01-18-2019 10:51 AM

debris

It usually takes a few days after ice out to be clear of debris, trees, branches, docks and bob houses. A good wind blows most of it to shore, and as the water level drops, it becomes lodged on shore. Kindly, caring, shorefront landowners clean it up. If you come across something that presents a hazard, call Marine Patrol and they will have it removed. MP is our lake ambassador. They do all sorts of wonderful things, plus law enforcement. If you drop by HQ in Glendale, they'll do a courtesy safety check for you.

Barney Bear 01-19-2019 05:19 PM

Important Requirement

The operator of a boat over 25 HP in New Hampshire must have a New Hampshire Safe Boating Certificate or similar certificatifrom from another state. 🐻

arthurbreault 01-20-2019 11:56 AM

All the information I can get is well appreciated, thank you for the help. I have a certificate from the coast guard that I successfully completed the boating skills and seamanship course. I think this will work. I understand that boating on a lake (even one this size) presents it's challenges. Not all boaters follow the rules of the water. Unfortunately this affects everyone.

Thanks for the help, Art

The Real BigGuy 01-20-2019 01:05 PM

CG cert trumps state requirement

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app