Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Body found at Braun Bay? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24816)

neckdweller 08-04-2019 01:08 PM

Body found at Braun Bay?
 
Per THe Diveís Faceook post. Havenít seen that anywhere else at this point.

Quote:

To all of our fellow boaters and friends at Braun Bay yesterday, Saturday, August 3Ö Please contact Marine patrol if you know anything that happened between 12 PM and 7 PM yesterday. A body was found floating this morning and The MP would like any assistance in solving this matter. Our hearts go out to the family and we hope they find some answers to this horrible tragedy. We will be assisting as well with security footage from our restaurant. Thank you.

joey2665 08-04-2019 01:16 PM

Body found at Braun Bay?
 
Reported on the Winnipesaukee Facebook site the MP are at a home across from the BB sandbar and the sandbar is now open to boats to anchor


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

MAXUM 08-04-2019 08:16 PM

https://www.wmur.com/article/body-fo...rough/28601004

Sue Doe-Nym 08-05-2019 09:26 PM

Braun Bay body found
 
How sad. A 34 year old man was swimming with friends, and when they didnít see him, they figured he went off with others. Doesnít add up to me, so will pay closer attention at 11ís news. Very very sad situation. How could you leave, not knowing?

Slickcraft 08-06-2019 05:54 AM

Union Leader article:

https://www.unionleader.com/news/saf...lock_id=664693

TiltonBB 08-06-2019 06:13 AM

Only 34 years old.

From the Laconia Sun:

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...4e426bbbb.html

tis 08-06-2019 07:28 AM

I just couldn't imagine leaving a friend behind and ASSUMING he left with somebody else. Wow.

thinkxingu 08-06-2019 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 316785)
I just couldn't imagine leaving a friend behind and ASSUMING he left with somebody else. Wow.

The only way I see it happening is if they had friends there or he had connected with another group which, given his age, is entirely possible.

Terribly sad situation.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

ishoot308 08-06-2019 08:03 AM

Hmmmm...
 
OK so friends left him there by accident...but how does a 34 year old man drown?? His friends were certainly not the cause of his drowning...

Something is very odd here...

Dan

thinkxingu 08-06-2019 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 316789)
OK so friends left him there by accident...but how does a 34 year old man drown?? His friends were certainly not the cause of his drowning...

Something is very odd here...

Dan

I gotta think alcohol/blackout or accidental strike. Does seem crazy, though. I'd hate to be the guy who found the body--talk about a horrible memory imprint.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Sue Doe-Nym 08-06-2019 08:10 AM

Braun Bay Body
 
Itís a mystery.....perhaps there had been too much liquid refreshment? Not being judgmental, but itís very strange...I canít imagine ever leaving a swimming area, not being sure that everyone in the party is accounted for. Again, a very sad situation.

Jeanzb1 08-06-2019 08:45 AM

Agree with Sue Doe-Nym and thinkingo. Maybe a medical condition or too much drinking and he simply sunk and his body didnít surface until the following day, but we will have to wait for autopsy results. Tragic.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Descant 08-06-2019 11:44 AM

Giving the benefit of the doubt to the deceased's friends, I would expect they did some sort of search before leaving and had some basis for thinking he left with others. Highly unlikely that they would have expected a medical issue (cramps, heart attack?) for a young man who could have simply walked ashore if he was tired from swimming, etc. Autopsy will tell more.

Patiently Watching 08-06-2019 12:21 PM

I would be shocked if alcohol/drugs are not involved.
Given what I have seen at Braun Bay over the last few years, it seems it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.
The State of NH needs to address the rafting and partying over there before someone else ends up dead.

tis 08-06-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patiently Watching (Post 316812)
I would be shocked if alcohol/drugs are not involved.
Given what I have seen at Braun Bay over the last few years, it seems it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.
The State of NH needs to address the rafting and partying over there before someone else ends up dead.

I agree with you.

joey2665 08-06-2019 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patiently Watching (Post 316812)
I would be shocked if alcohol/drugs are not involved.
Given what I have seen at Braun Bay over the last few years, it seems it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.
The State of NH needs to address the rafting and partying over there before someone else ends up dead.

That is a tremendous assumption you are making. The best thing would be to wait for the autopsy before we start casting stones at the people who raft in that area. (side note, I have never rafted there). Why would you think someone else could end up dead? I have been by and anchored across from there many times. Just a bunch of people having fun, I have never see anything life threatening

thinkxingu 08-06-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 316818)
That is a tremendous assumption you are making. The best thing would be to wait for the autopsy before we start casting stones at the people who raft in that area. (side note, I have never rafted there). Why would you think someone else could end up dead? I have been by and anchored across from there many times. Just a bunch of people having fun, I have never see anything life threatening

Every summer for the last six we have owned on Winni, there has been at least one tragic accident--diving, falling, etc.--and multiple reports of incapacitated interventions. It's not a tremendous assumption at all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

joey2665 08-06-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 316820)
Every summer for the last six we have owned on Winni, there has been at least one tragic accident--diving, falling, etc.--and multiple reports of incapacitated interventions. It's not a tremendous assumption at all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app



Sorry I disagree and think it is best to wait for the autopsy? I may not have been around the lake all my life but have over the last 15 years. Yes there have been incidences with people operating under the influence, water sports incidents, falling off moving boats will under the influence but I do not recall a specific incident at one on the rafting sandbars where there was a severe accident or death where alcohol was the contributing factor. Maybe Iím wrong


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Descant 08-06-2019 01:53 PM

Big Leap
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patiently Watching (Post 316812)
I would be shocked if alcohol/drugs are not involved.
Given what I have seen at Braun Bay over the last few years, it seems it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.
The State of NH needs to address the rafting and partying over there before someone else ends up dead.

That's a big leap for someone who is "Patiently Watching". Wait for the autopsy. Last time I was there, years ago, I admit, it was all family stuff, kids, float toys, etc. I don't know the NH criteria for labeling something as suspicious or not suspicious, but so far this has been declared non-suspicious.

Taz 08-06-2019 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patiently Watching (Post 316812)
I would be shocked if alcohol/drugs are not involved.
Given what I have seen at Braun Bay over the last few years, it seems it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.
The State of NH needs to address the rafting and partying over there before someone else ends up dead.

there is no rafting at Braun Bay, its a no raft zone. What do you do about the partying? If laws are not broken you can not stop boaters from anchoring there. They thought turning it into a no rafting zone would stop the madness but no, its just as bad if not worse.

Taz 08-06-2019 03:26 PM

what I don't understand is why the last boat to leave Braun Bay on Saturday did not see this person alone or floating? Wouldn't he have to be there when the last boat left the bay?

Sue Doe-Nym 08-06-2019 03:52 PM

Braun Bay Body
 
The person could have been submerged, not at waterís surface. Besides, if you werenít looking for something specific, it wouldnít necessarily be that visible.....
Plus partying people on boat werenít paying attention....just a guess on my part. People tend to be far too casual around the water...thatís a huge generalization, but true, sad to say, and can lead to senseless tragedy.

Taz 08-06-2019 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym (Post 316842)
The person could have been submerged, not at water’s surface. Besides, if you weren’t looking for something specific, it wouldn’t necessarily be that visible.....
Plus partying people on boat weren’t paying attention....just a guess on my part. People tend to be far too casual around the water...that’s a huge generalization, but true, sad to say, and can lead to senseless tragedy.

I guess your right because it happened but I still can not believe with all the people in the Bay someone did not see this body. Unless it was out deep enough beyond the shallows, the water is clear and shallow. Plus a body the size of a 32 year old male in shallow clear water I would think would be very visible. I was there 2 weeks ago and clearly saw small turtles swimming under water.

Phantom 08-06-2019 06:17 PM

I agree with those who say -- "Let's wait for the facts" and STOP armchair speculations of what could have been or not.

However - the one thing that stood out as EXTREMELY odd was the comment made in the Laconia Daily ….. "The following morning, the friends located Whitehill's untouched personal effects. When they returned to Braun Bay"

Where in God's name does someone store their personal stuff at Braun Bay ?? Granted it has been many many years since we last visited that sandbar for our personal reason ……. I never recall any sandy beach area, or anyone one the actual shoreline (perhaps it's changed).

Hillcountry 08-06-2019 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 316851)
I agree with those who say -- "Let's wait for the facts" and STOP armchair speculations of what could have been or not.

However - the one thing that stood out as EXTREMELY odd was the comment made in the Laconia Daily ….. "The following morning, the friends located Whitehill's untouched personal effects. When they returned to Braun Bay"

Where in God's name does someone store their personal stuff at Braun Bay ?? Granted it has been many many years since we last visited that sandbar for our personal reason ……. I never recall any sandy beach area, or anyone one the actual shoreline (perhaps it's changed).

Lots of rocks with nooks and crannies for someone to “hide” their personal effects...

ApS 08-06-2019 09:26 PM

Cell Phone?
 
While we're busy not speculating:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 316851)
I agree with those who say -- "Let's wait for the facts" and STOP armchair speculations of what could have been or not. However - the one thing that stood out as EXTREMELY odd was the comment made in the Laconia Daily ….. "The following morning, the friends located Whitehill's untouched personal effects. When they returned to Braun Bay". Where in God's name does someone store their personal stuff at Braun Bay ?? Granted it has been many many years since we last visited that sandbar for our personal reason ……. I never recall any sandy beach area, or anyone one the actual shoreline (perhaps it's changed).

I suspect the "personal stuff" was located the next morning—on their boat. (At which time they returned to Braun Bay).

If this had been a Florida story, the victim would be found with a fatal injury from an ill-advised dive from the boat into shallow water.

Phantom 08-15-2019 08:18 AM

Just out of curiosity ………. has any further details been released that I may have missed ?

garysanfran 08-15-2019 08:56 AM

What did you miss???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 317571)
Just out of curiosity ÖÖÖ. has any further details been released that I may have missed ?

Just being a wise ass...Sorry.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.