Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   "Official" Ice Out Thread (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24296)

Blue Thunder 04-05-2019 02:25 PM

"Official" Ice Out Thread
 
Just wondering.....Island Girl usually posts it every year.

BT

Edit: 4/11/19 The Webmaster has designated this as the Official Ice Out thread.

lakershaker 04-05-2019 03:53 PM

Maybe moving quickly?
 
1 Attachment(s)
I know a lot of people up around the lake are still saying a few more weeks, but the webcams look promising! Fingers crossed for warmth and wind. I always check the sat images everyday this time of year - yesterday's looks good!
Attachment 14616 from https://bit.ly/2VqNivQ

fatlazyless 04-06-2019 01:51 PM

Things could maybe start to move along now, with the ice-out. Looking out all the hugely expensive mega windows from my mega-million dollar lakeside mcmansion, it sure enuf lookie likie that there dun ice is finally going from winter white, over to ice-out gray.

The ice likes to change colors, and go from white to gray, as it slowly changes from strong, safe ice to mushy slush.

There was a NH story from somewhere in southern New Hampshire yesterday, about someone who drowned while trying to rescue their dog that had broken through the ice. Both man and dog drowned. Will try to find a working link. It would be informative if there was an actual video of the drowning, because it is supposedly possible to drown very quickly, like in 45-seconds, after falling through ice, if you immediately inhale a small amount of water. What with the cold shock of the icy cold, 34-degree water, and the inhalation of a small amount of water by gasping, it all supposedly happens fast ..... is all conjecture how it happened?

Thursday or Friday, April 4 or 5, 2019: Meeting House Pond, Marlborough, NH, (just south-east of Keene) 49-yards from shore in about 12' water depth; man tried using a tree branch to rescue his golden retriever ...... www.sentinelsource.com has a short report with photograph, 5-free reads accessible without a pay wall

MAXUM 04-07-2019 07:45 AM

Lake Massebessic is ice free - was actually surprised when I took a ride by yesterday and it was wide open water.

Typically Winni is +\- two weeks behind.

Top-Water 04-07-2019 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXUM (Post 309262)
Lake Massebessic is ice free - was actually surprised when I took a ride by yesterday and it was wide open water.

Typically Winni is +\- two weeks behind.

Thank you :):) specifically for this report of ice out on Lake Massebessic. Have not had an opportunity to go by it this spring. 2 to 2-1/2 weeks ago little beaver lake in derry looked like it was locked in for a few weeks and it was all gone in a day was really surprised at how quick it disappeared.

Thank you.

MAXUM 04-07-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 309263)
Thank you :):) specifically for this report of ice out on Lake Massebessic. Have not had an opportunity to go by it this spring. 2 to 2-1/2 weeks ago little beaver lake in derry looked like it was locked in for a few weeks and it was all gone in a day was really surprised at how quick it disappeared.

Thank you.

Boat ramps are open too. The gate was open on the one near the traffic circle.

WJT2 04-07-2019 07:01 PM

Anyone know the status for Lilly Pond? Good indicator for Winni Ice-Out

Slickcraft 04-07-2019 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WJT2 (Post 309279)
Anyone know the status for Lilly Pond? Good indicator for Winni Ice-Out

It was ice early this morning. I think that Dave still works for a living and may pass by tomorrow and have a report.

Alan

SAB1 04-07-2019 08:17 PM

Plenty of snowmobiles on the ice in tuftonboro this weekend.

MAXUM 04-10-2019 01:31 PM

Emerson Aviation is posting pics of the lake ice and there are some holes out there starting to form so anyone out there on a snow machine now is really asking for trouble.

MikeF-NH 04-10-2019 02:26 PM

does any one have any pictures or info from Alton Bay (not the west Alton cams)? Its been a few years since there has been a cam at the south end of the lake and I'm looking to see how far back the ice is pushed...Sandy Point?

MAXUM 04-10-2019 03:27 PM

Hit their facebook page.

Not sure how often they are going up.

With temps forecast to get warm, even maybe closing in on the 70 degree mark come Saturday I'd expect that the typical areas such as you are interested in will be opening up a lot especially if coupled with some wind.

Hopefully we're about two weeks or less... seeing it snow yesterday was rather disappointing!

ghfromaltonbay 04-10-2019 04:13 PM

Sandy Point - Ice is going
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeF-NH (Post 309441)
does any one have any pictures or info from Alton Bay (not the west Alton cams)? Its been a few years since there has been a cam at the south end of the lake and I'm looking to see how far back the ice is pushed...Sandy Point?

Here is a picture taken on the wall yesterday at Sandy Point. Looks like ice still in the channel by FL #23

CoastalWx 04-10-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXUM (Post 309446)
Hit their facebook page.

Not sure how often they are going up.

With temps forecast to get warm, even maybe closing in on the 70 degree mark come Saturday I'd expect that the typical areas such as you are interested in will be opening up a lot especially if coupled with some wind.

Hopefully we're about two weeks or less... seeing it snow yesterday was rather disappointing!

I think it should be mostly gone in 2 weeks or less.

bilproject 04-10-2019 05:29 PM

May Ice out this year
 
North end of the lake still has 20 to 30 inches of ice. Only a few warm days in the 15 day outlook. 70% of the days it will be cloudy. Need the sun to melt the ice.

CoastalWx 04-10-2019 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilproject (Post 309457)
North end of the lake still has 20 to 30 inches of ice. Only a few warm days in the 15 day outlook. 70% of the days it will be cloudy. Need the sun to melt the ice.

Well if that is the case, might be longer. I'm curious to see how thick the ice really is currently.

rsmlp 04-11-2019 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilproject (Post 309457)
North end of the lake still has 20 to 30 inches of ice. Only a few warm days in the 15 day outlook. 70% of the days it will be cloudy. Need the sun to melt the ice.


That claim seems dubious to me. I would expect to see 20-30" mid winter, not 10 days into April.

sluggo 04-11-2019 08:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 14663 Cut this block out of the lake on April 4th ! No early ice out this year ...

upthesaukee 04-11-2019 08:24 AM

Bandstand
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeF-NH (Post 309441)
does any one have any pictures or info from Alton Bay (not the west Alton cams)? Its been a few years since there has been a cam at the south end of the lake and I'm looking to see how far back the ice is pushed...Sandy Point?

Yesterday to the bandstand, with open areas along the edges.

Dave

Blue Thunder 04-11-2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sluggo (Post 309485)
Attachment 14663 cut this block out of the lake on april 4th ! No early ice out this year ...

wow............

MAXUM 04-11-2019 10:24 AM

well that's depressing to see.

joey2665 04-11-2019 12:02 PM

Not looking good from my camera either. In Meredith Bay the ice still looks white, I do not see any gray areas yet. :mad::fire::fire:

Kerk 04-11-2019 02:58 PM

Ice !!
 
Wolfboro White snow cover as well as Winter Harbor, 19 & 20 mile bays. Did not see much open water anywhere. Snow on the ground in lots of places from Alton up East side of lake!! Will probably be near the end of April from what I saw.. I went to Cow Island on St Patricks day many years ago!! kerk 110

Slickcraft 04-11-2019 07:14 PM

Lilly pond today only 10% to 15% open water.

MikeF-NH 04-12-2019 06:37 AM

looking at the islanders 2002 webcam on Bear Island looking back at Sheps, do my eyes deceive me or does it look like a boat is now at the dock that looks like it broke through the ice all the way from Sheps?

It doesn't look like a hovercraft but I'm pretty sure it hasn't been there all winter. If a small boat like that can break ice there...it is very encouraging that the ice may not be as thick as we all think.

scratch that...I just watched the video link and the boat is a fan boat that came came across the top of the ice early this morning. Pretty neat...never seen that on any cams before.

WJT2 04-12-2019 09:23 AM

sluggo Ice Block
 
where on the lake did you cut this block of ice?

Bizer 04-12-2019 10:08 AM

I went around the lake (by car) on Thursday ...
 
Alton: Water out to the band stand.

Wolfeboro, Libby Museum, Pier 19, Trexlers, Meredith: Water out about 50-300 feet, probably due to de-icing equipment on piers.

Twenty Mile Bay was ice right up to the shore.

I saw all ice on Mirror Lake

Winnisquam Lake south of Mohawk Island was all water.

Kings Bluff 04-12-2019 03:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeF-NH (Post 309441)
does any one have any pictures or info from Alton Bay (not the west Alton cams)? Its been a few years since there has been a cam at the south end of the lake and I'm looking to see how far back the ice is pushed...Sandy Point?

Check out www.winnipesaukeecam.com. Open water at the north end, east side of Alton Bay.

AMekler 04-12-2019 05:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
a water way to diamond island

AMekler 04-12-2019 06:03 PM

sorry i can't image to rotate 90 degrees

sluggo 04-13-2019 08:31 AM

Wjt2 That block was from the area of Gansy island and the ice was just as thick out to Steamboat and Jolly islands. My thoughts for ice out is going to be around the 28th this year ...

rsmlp 04-13-2019 08:33 AM

ice
 
Going to very windy and pretty warm with lots of rain over the next 10 days. My take is that ice out will be sooner than most people think.

joey2665 04-13-2019 08:47 AM

In addition to the warm temp, rain and wind the real ice eater “fog” is helping things this morning. [emoji4]


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

FlyingScot 04-13-2019 09:54 AM

Water expanding quickly in Tuftonboro/Moultonborough Bay

WINNI BOB 04-13-2019 03:36 PM

New NEST WEB CAM at WEIRS BEACH
 
http://video.nest.com/live/4B5aUz6Fe7

Hi folks;

I just posted yesterday info regarding my new NEST WEB CAM @ WEIRS BEACH. It shows a great view from The WEIRS BEACH, and stretching all the way west to Meridith bay. The WEB CAM is LIVE, FULL-PAGE, with SOUND, and is PASSWORD-FREE.

Just search for NEW NEST CAM at WEIRS BEACH or left-click or enter.....

https://video.nest.com/live/4B5aUz6Fe7

Island Girl 04-13-2019 06:31 PM

Don't Worry, Be Happy
 
In case you think the lake will not melt until June, here is a clip of last April 19 (2018). Looks pretty iced in. This will take a minute to download.


http://www.rattlesnakecam.com/video/4-19-18.mp4


Here is last April 23 with a little more action. Again takes a minute to download


http://www.rattlesnakecam.com/video/4-23-18.mp4


Ice Out was April 26th in 2018.


Have faith, it is coming!


IG


Thanks BT for starting the thread. I was remiss this year. You always have my back!

WJT2 04-13-2019 07:30 PM

sluggo Ice Block
 
Gansy aka Ganzy aka Ganzey is quite a distance from Steamboat/Birch and Jolly. Gansy is between Ambrose Cove and Lee's Mills. Did you travel to Steamboat and Jolly for like measurements?
Just wondering.

Prestige Worldwide 04-14-2019 07:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It’s starting to look like spring...

8gv 04-14-2019 08:31 AM

I saw a fiberglass runabout running about on Winnisquam Saturday.

It was nice to see.

Grant 04-14-2019 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WINNI BOB (Post 309590)
http://video.nest.com/live/4B5aUz6Fe7

Hi folks;

I just posted yesterday info regarding my new NEST WEB CAM @ WEIRS BEACH. It shows a great view from The WEIRS BEACH, and stretching all the way west to Meridith bay. The WEB CAM is LIVE, FULL-PAGE, with SOUND, and is PASSWORD-FREE.

Just search for NEW NEST CAM at WEIRS BEACH or left-click or enter.....

https://video.nest.com/live/4B5aUz6Fe7

From the link above:

"This camera is missing in action."

umbrellapoint 04-14-2019 10:00 AM

Getting closer
 
1 Attachment(s)
Wolfeboro neck looking southwest towards rattlesnake/gunstock.

joey2665 04-14-2019 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant (Post 309607)
From the link above:

"This camera is missing in action."

It’s working for me


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Top-Water 04-14-2019 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 309612)
It’s working for me


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Just an FYI was not working earlier when "Grant" posted with the text "This camera is missing in action." so he was not imagining it, however it seems to be working now as "Joey" posted.

Probably just a small glitch in the connection.

Grant 04-14-2019 11:31 AM

Yep...working now. Cool view. Love the streaming video cams. Wish the Melvin Village Marina cam would come back online.

Blue Thunder 04-14-2019 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Girl (Post 309592)
In case you think the lake will not melt until June, here is a clip of last April 19 (2018). Looks pretty iced in. This will take a minute to download.


http://www.rattlesnakecam.com/video/4-19-18.mp4


Here is last April 23 with a little more action. Again takes a minute to download


http://www.rattlesnakecam.com/video/4-23-18.mp4


Ice Out was April 26th in 2018.


Have faith, it is coming!


IG


Thanks BT for starting the thread. I was remiss this year. You always have my back!

Glad to do it in your absence!! I was worried something was wrong....

MAXUM 04-15-2019 08:17 AM

Sure as heck looks like all the ice out there in the broads is about ready to break up soon as the wind kicks up.

joey2665 04-15-2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 309614)
Just an FYI was not working earlier when "Grant" posted with the text "This camera is missing in action." so he was not imagining it, however it seems to be working now as "Joey" posted.

Probably just a small glitch in the connection.



Probably correct it’s out again this morning.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Mink Islander 04-15-2019 08:39 AM

Tick tock
 
1 Attachment(s)
Won’t be long now.

Slickcraft 04-15-2019 08:41 AM

Lilly Pond
 
This morning Lilly Pond appeared to be ice free. Visibility was not 100% in the light rain so I could not really see the far corner. If there is any left tonight's wind will take care of it.

WINNI BOB 04-15-2019 01:59 PM

New NEST WEB CAM at WEIRS BEACH
 
Hi folks;

Thanks for the comments re: my new "NEST" web cam at the Weirs Beach. Looks like, today 4/15/19, the ice is black and mushy, It is breaking up and moving around pretty good. It is clogging up the channel at Thurston's Marine, but a stiff wind should push it through.
Then hold on and watch the docks on the southern shore-line get hammered.....as usual.

WINNI BOB

Island Girl 04-15-2019 02:47 PM

The Broads is on the move
 
This clip (will take a bit of time to download) is from this morning starting around 7:30 am until about 11:30. If you looked at my clip above from 4-23-18 you will see a bit more movement today. Last year's clip was three days before ice out.


http://www.rattlesnakecam.com/video/4-15-19.mp4


BT, nothing wrong, just a bit overwhelmed (in a good way).


IG

tis 04-15-2019 04:28 PM

Oh that poor dock!!

Dad sold the C * C 04-15-2019 05:30 PM

Winnisquam
 
From my camera it looks like Winnisquam is opening up just south of Pot Island.

MikeF-NH 04-15-2019 05:42 PM

seeing cracks on the ice off Rattlesnakecam and large chunks floating on other cams. Ice is beginning to move and its pretty windy out there now. I expect much progress this week.

Slickcraft 04-15-2019 06:04 PM

Alton Bay up past Sandy Point shows the ice divided into large sections just waiting for the wind.

Looking from Belknap point at 5:30 pm there is a wide section of open water spanning from Ellacoya to SW Welch. By morning the wind will have probably closed that in but up opening other sections. The annual ice migration toward Wolfeboro bay has begun. I can hear the wind and the beat of the drums now:D

MAXUM 04-15-2019 07:56 PM

Bet there won't be much ice on the cameras in the morning. Lots of open water from different vantage points. Be awesome to have the boat out this weekend.

Steamboat 04-15-2019 07:57 PM

Ice Moving in Broads
 
Ice appears largely out to the WNW of Steamboat, and South towards Gilford.

Island Girl 04-15-2019 08:52 PM

Slowly moving towards Alton
 
This clip is the actual speed of the ice moving down Rattlesnake Island around 6 this evening. It is piling up somewhere!

http://rattlesnakecam.com/video/4-15-19-622.mov

cessnaair 04-16-2019 05:51 AM

Broads clear at Rattlesnake
 
1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 14686 this is photo I hope

Island Girl 04-16-2019 05:52 AM

Broads is out
 
1 Attachment(s)
The ice is out as far as mtpy cams can see in front of Rattlesnake Island. Big rollers today.

Mink Islander 04-16-2019 06:31 AM

Almost there....
 
1 Attachment(s)
Still a bit of ice on the north side of Mink Island. Today’s wind is going to move that along, I suspect.

Prestige Worldwide 04-16-2019 08:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prestige Worldwide (Post 309601)
It’s starting to look like spring...



Wow, just a few days and the broads are open. Attachment 14689

sluggo 04-16-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WJT2 (Post 309593)
Gansy aka Ganzy aka Ganzey is quite a distance from Steamboat/Birch and Jolly. Gansy is between Ambrose Cove and Lee's Mills. Did you travel to Steamboat and Jolly for like measurements?
Just wondering.

WJT2.... I work on the lake and I cover a lot of territory out there. The day I cut that block by Ganzy we were prepping a site for a new dock and from there I went ice fishing off Steamboat latter in the day.

Slickcraft 04-16-2019 10:36 AM

Belknap Point
 
1 Attachment(s)
View today from Belknap Point. Clear to Welch and to the Broads. Looks like ice around 40 Islands, Round, Timber and Saunders Bay. Glendale is open.

Barney Bear 04-16-2019 01:20 PM

Prediction
 
Bet we see a nice sunset pic from Welch Island soon, thanks to Slickcraft. 🐻

codeman671 04-16-2019 02:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Lots of breakage piling up between Mark and Bear coming in from Meredith Neck. Should blow through in the next day or two.

steve-on-mark 04-16-2019 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman671 (Post 309750)
Lots of breakage piling up between Mark and Bear coming in from Meredith Neck. Should blow through in the next day or two.

Long as it stays away from my docks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Mink Islander 04-16-2019 04:13 PM

Iceberg season
 
1 Attachment(s)
Icebergs making their way past the north side of Mink Island

fatlazyless 04-16-2019 04:28 PM

.... large surprise to me that so far today, the ice coverage out front my mega-million dollar, mongrel little dilapidated cottage ...... looking from Gov Isl to Timber to Mark to south Bear and to Penny to Dolly to Horse to Meredith Neck .... has gone from about 98.6% old ice to about 18.6% old ice ..... the wind done beat it to pieces, so far today ..... and it done sank .... or something .... is mostly now open water ..... and time to get some aluminum and go fix my vintage-1952 aluminum dock ....... again!

.... and, I had been think'n it was a couple weeks away or something?

pault842 04-16-2019 06:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
2 pics taken from Mt. Klem in the Belknaps today, the Broads is pretty clear. Over in Alton Bay most ice is gone as of this morning.

escaped from NJ 04-16-2019 08:26 PM

seeking ice out wisdom!
 
I'm sure I'm not the only one... I'm just dying to get up to our cottage (on Little Bear) this long weekend. Can someone with a historical and knowledgeable opinion provide a forecast as to the percentage-possibility that ice out will be called by Friday afternoon? Or that there will be clear open water from Melvin Village to the north side of Little Bear? Otherwise, next week may be the longest week of the year! I might not survive the excruciating wait.

webmaster 04-16-2019 08:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
There's still a lot of stuff moving around at Weirs Beach but that could change quickly (nice shots from the webcams too!):

joey2665 04-16-2019 09:49 PM

Second photo is incredible


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

JMR 04-16-2019 11:10 PM

Today
 
1 Attachment(s)
I was in Alton and Gilford this afternoon. There was no ice visible from Ames Farm to the “southern” tip of Rattlwsnake. I will try to attach pics. No ice at Rattlesnake Landing, either. West Alton Marina still has ice but it is breaking upAttachment 14701

RUGMAN 04-17-2019 07:08 AM

from doe point
 
1 Attachment(s)
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...1&d=1555499287

AC2717 04-17-2019 08:45 AM

does anyone have any updates on Paugus Bay?

webmaster 04-17-2019 09:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 309790)
does anyone have any updates on Paugus Bay?

Here's the view of Paugus Bay this morning from the Anchor Marine CAM:

Blyblvrd 04-17-2019 09:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
view from salmon meadow cove this morning


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

FlyingScot 04-17-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by escaped from NJ (Post 309764)
I'm sure I'm not the only one... I'm just dying to get up to our cottage (on Little Bear) this long weekend. Can someone with a historical and knowledgeable opinion provide a forecast as to the percentage-possibility that ice out will be called by Friday afternoon? Or that there will be clear open water from Melvin Village to the north side of Little Bear? Otherwise, next week may be the longest week of the year! I might not survive the excruciating wait.

With the vast historical knowledge base that only a person who was in Melvin Village last Thursday could possibly possess--sorry, it seems almost unimaginable that this Friday would be clear for that route.

Mink Islander 04-17-2019 12:11 PM

Going Going....
 
1 Attachment(s)
Unfortunately without some wind to stir things up, I doubt Winnie will be clear of all the floating slush by the weekend. This is from Mink Island looking north. Bear Island (Camp Lawrence) on the left. Jolly Island on the right.

Lake Fan 04-17-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by escaped from NJ (Post 309764)
I'm sure I'm not the only one... I'm just dying to get up to our cottage (on Little Bear) this long weekend. Can someone with a historical and knowledgeable opinion provide a forecast as to the percentage-possibility that ice out will be called by Friday afternoon? Or that there will be clear open water from Melvin Village to the north side of Little Bear? Otherwise, next week may be the longest week of the year! I might not survive the excruciating wait.

We are on Whortleberry and it's been our experience over the years that even if "ice out" is declared, it can be another day or two before all the ice is gone in that area. It's usually pretty thin though - we've broken through it with the boat on the way over a time or two. Looking forward to your report if you venture out. :)

MAXUM 04-17-2019 12:50 PM

Birds eye view

https://www.facebook.com/Emerson-Avi...1847876851023/

They just uploaded some fresh pics. ;)

jeffk 04-17-2019 02:26 PM

Center Harbor is still iced in so the Mount is unable to leave its winter dock.

Top-Water 04-17-2019 07:05 PM

Thank you for the Center Harbor report.

lakegirl62 04-17-2019 07:52 PM

Is there any ice around Shep Brown's boat basin?
 
Anxious to get on the water, is the water open in front of Shep Brown's?

escaped from NJ 04-17-2019 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 309802)
With the vast historical knowledge base that only a person who was in Melvin Village last Thursday could possibly possess--sorry, it seems almost unimaginable that this Friday would be clear for that route.

Melvin Village Marina confirmed today that there is still lots of ice in the bay. (Tear flick!)

fatlazyless 04-18-2019 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakegirl62 (Post 309829)
Anxious to get on the water, is the water open in front of Shep Brown's?

Do not know, but suspect the inside passage is still iced from Pine Island south to the ice edge 200-yards south of Rock Island, which is 200-yards north of Cattle Landing.

Will take a ride down to Shep Browns and to Y-Landing later on, this morning, and take a look-see.

Mink Islander 04-18-2019 06:21 AM

Sheps
 
Unfortunately islanders2002 webcam is down on rattlesnakecam.com. It looks directly south at Shep’s. Looks like the power may be off on the west end of Bear since the two Bearcams that are also near the channel with Pine Island are also dark.

webmaster 04-18-2019 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 309824)
Thank you for the Center Harbor report.

There's a live webcam at Center Harbor:

https://centerharborinn.com/winnipesaukee-webcam/

snowflake 04-18-2019 07:27 AM

Ice out
 
Thanks to all who are sharing great pictures of progress of ice out. I loved the live shots. See you in August.

codeman671 04-18-2019 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mink Islander (Post 309837)
Unfortunately islanders2002 webcam is down on rattlesnakecam.com. It looks directly south at Shep’s. Looks like the power may be off on the west end of Bear since the two Bearcams that are also near the channel with Pine Island are also dark.

Either DSL or power is off on Mark as my cams are down. Are you still live on your cam? NHEC is showing a Meredith outage.

MDoug 04-18-2019 09:04 AM

Power Out on Bear
 
NHEC rep says crew will be out to Bear when ice is out.

WINNI BOB 04-18-2019 12:07 PM

Paugus Bay
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 309790)
does anyone have any updates on Paugus Bay?

Hi;

My TRITOON IS IN THE WATER @ THURSTONS MARINA, AND TOOK A SPIN ARROUND PAUGUS BAY > Ice is out all the way to Christmas Isand, but you have to be careful as there are some spongy ice comming thru the channel when the wind blow down from the north.

There is a lot of ice dammed up at the mouth of the Weirs channel. and it could get pushed down thru the channel at any time in the next 2 days.

WINNI BOB

AC2717 04-18-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WINNI BOB (Post 309858)
Hi;

My TRITOON IS IN THE WATER @ THURSTONS MARINA, AND TOOK A SPIN ARROUND PAUGUS BAY > Ice is out all the way to Christmas Isand, but you have to be careful as there are some spongy ice comming thru the channel when the wind blow down from the north.

There is a lot of ice dammed up at the mouth of the Weirs channel. and it could get pushed down thru the channel at any time in the next 2 days.

WINNI BOB

Thank you for the Update, would you say the ice is weak enough that it would not cause damage if dock or a lift went in the water this weekend?

fatlazyless 04-18-2019 01:43 PM

.... is yucky gray!
 
Ok .... as seen ten minutes ago, from the Shep Brown boat launch, the lake there is all clogged up with gray, yucky ice from Sheps out to Bear Island, in both directions.

As seen from the Y-Landing docks, viewed from Pine Island to Bear Island, and from Pine Island north toward Centre Harbor, is all clogged up with gray ice.

From the Y-Landing docks to Pine Island and to the nearby island with the large A-frame house, is all open water.

And from Rock Island, the ice line has moved south getting to just about one hundred yards north of Cattle Landing.

Meanwhile, in the last ten minutes , the wind has noticeably picked up, and today's weather indicates more windy breezes, so that could do impact on all this gray slushy ice.

After going slushy, ice loses its' buoyancy and sinks before it totally melts, so it's a combination of melting, absorbing water, going slushy, and sinking while going from winter white to yucky gray. The strong elastic winter white ice, made during the deep freeze, expands to 110% of its' liquid volume, which is why this ice will float on the surface. As it melts and mixes with water, it reaches a condition where it will no longer remain buoyant, and it sinks.

TiltonBB 04-18-2019 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 309863)
Ok .... as seen ten minutes ago, from the Shep Brown boat launch, the lake there is all clogged up with gray, yucky ice from Sheps out to Bear Island, in both directions.

As seen from the Y-Landing docks, viewed from Pine Island to Bear Island, and from Pine Island north toward Centre Harbor, is all clogged up with gray ice.

From the Y-Landing docks to Pine Island and to the nearby island with the large A-frame house, is all open water.

And from Rock Island, the ice line has moved south getting to just about one hundred yards north of Cattle Landing.

Meanwhile, in the last ten minutes , the wind has noticeably picked up, and today's weather indicates more windy breezes, so that could do impact on all this gray slushy ice.

After going slushy, ice loses its' buoyancy and sinks before it totally melts, so it's a combination of melting, absorbing water, going slushy, and sinking while going from winter white to yucky gray. The strong elastic winter white ice, made during the deep freeze, expands to 110% of its' liquid volume, which is why this ice will float on the surface. As it melts and mixes with water, it reaches a condition where it will no longer remain buoyant, and it sinks.

Excellent! A serious, informative, 100% useful post! Great!

fatlazyless 04-18-2019 04:21 PM

..... hey there Buddy ..... every one of my posts is serious, useful and great ..... you just need to adjust your attitude a little bit!


Mink Island ice: ..... and, looking at Mink Island from about a mile away, and down the passage between Mark and Timber, what was yesterday's all ice is now today's all open water.

Bear Islander 04-18-2019 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 309863)
Ok .... as seen ten minutes ago, from the Shep Brown boat launch, the lake there is all clogged up with gray, yucky ice from Sheps out to Bear Island, in both directions.

As seen from the Y-Landing docks, viewed from Pine Island to Bear Island, and from Pine Island north toward Centre Harbor, is all clogged up with gray ice.

From the Y-Landing docks to Pine Island and to the nearby island with the large A-frame house, is all open water.

And from Rock Island, the ice line has moved south getting to just about one hundred yards north of Cattle Landing.

Meanwhile, in the last ten minutes , the wind has noticeably picked up, and today's weather indicates more windy breezes, so that could do impact on all this gray slushy ice.

After going slushy, ice loses its' buoyancy and sinks before it totally melts, so it's a combination of melting, absorbing water, going slushy, and sinking while going from winter white to yucky gray. The strong elastic winter white ice, made during the deep freeze, expands to 110% of its' liquid volume, which is why this ice will float on the surface. As it melts and mixes with water, it reaches a condition where it will no longer remain buoyant, and it sinks.

Contrary to what many believe... Lake ice does not sink.

Slickcraft 04-18-2019 04:58 PM

Over the past 20 years official ice out is 3 to 5 days after our 1st trip to Welch.


As we could have got out yesterday rather than waaaaaiting all the way to today, for this year that would be the 2oth to the 22nd. My pick of the 21st is still in the running:D

ghfromaltonbay 04-18-2019 05:21 PM

Thanks, Slickcraft!
 
Enjoyed reading your calculations. My guess of 11:22am on 4/22 still stands a chance too. Hope your Firstmate was able to make the trip with you.:)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.