Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Then there were 3... (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24246)

GTO 03-20-2019 06:02 PM

Then there were 3...

Three ice huts left in Meredith bay as of 6:00 tonight. A sure sign that Spring is here. Also a sign is the stack of pallets left on the ice by one "ice fisherman" after he removed his hut on Saturday.. idiot!

GTO 03-21-2019 06:47 PM

Thank you

Thank yu to the person that went out to clean up the idiots mess today. I went by around 6 and it was all cleaned up off the ice and put by the boat ramp. Sad when someone has to clean up after someone else. With all the warm weather I would not have felt safe going out that far on the ice to make that cleanup. Every boater should be thankful that they won't be hitting that debris in the spring

SAB1 03-21-2019 07:20 PM

Maybe the guy that left them went out and grabbed them? Still plenty of ice out there.

Spider Girl 03-24-2019 03:32 PM

Litter and Debris from Ice Houses

For the life of me, I don't understand why the State and/or town doesn't require the registration of ice houses. Implicit in the registration would be clean up at the end of the season. There could be some policing (matching ice house with number and location) during the season. Then, if the trash and debris is not removed when the ice house leaves, authorities would know whom to fine.

It is extremely thoughtless of people to think that it is all right to pollute the lakes or that someone else will just take care of their mess.

joey2665 03-24-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider Girl (Post 308615)
For the life of me, I don't understand why the State and/or town doesn't require the registration of ice houses. Implicit in the registration would be clean up at the end of the season. There could be some policing (matching ice house with number and location) during the season. Then, if the trash and debris is not removed when the ice house leaves, authorities would know whom to fine.

It is extremely thoughtless of people to think that it is all right to pollute the lakes or that someone else will just take care of their mess.

It could be difficult to enforce but I am absolutely with you on this. It completely disrespectful for people to leave there crap on the ice for others to clean up later in addition to damage that can be caused to boats and individuals after ice out.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

SAB1 03-24-2019 07:28 PM

Somewhat agree. No need for leaving trash on the ice. However, if you ice fish and have a bob house it’s not uncommon for them to moved a few times during the winter so enforcement would be tough.

upthesaukee 03-25-2019 09:59 AM

Pretty simple

It's pretty simple: if you go backpacking, what you carry in, you pack out.

When you bring a bob house out on the ice, you pack everything back in when you leave.

If you see someone not bringing all their stuff off the lake, take a picture of them, and if possible, a picture of them at their vehicle. Send to F&G or NHMP.

Dave

joey2665 03-25-2019 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 308638)

When you bring a bob house out on the ice, you pack everything back in when you leave.

If you see someone not bringing all their stuff off the lake, take a picture of them, and if possible, a picture of them at their vehicle. Send to F&G or NHMP.

Dave

If F & G or NHMP issues a sticker or placard ( I am not opposed to a small fee as long as the funds stay with MP or F & G) the must be displayed on the bobhouse then all you would need to do is send them over the plate or card number and they can do the rest.

Descant 03-25-2019 03:13 PM

Litter all over

Litter is not just a problem on the ice. Snowmobile trails, ATV trails etc are losing mileage because landowners don't want to deal with the trash that is buried in the snow alongside the trails, and they lose landowner permission. The clubs work with the state on trail maintenance and they are enforcing carry in, carry out, with their members. A good plan.
I don't see that a new fee would be sufficient to hire additional CO's to work year round, and seasonal employees are very difficult to hire as we know from other threads.
As with many issues here, a few people draw a lot of irritated posts. I am always grateful to those who pick up the ice after otters and retrieve hazards to navigation after ice out.
From Parks and Rec, volunteer First Responders, Selectmen and legislators and "Friends of" groups, NH is run by volunteers. That's our heritage and our culture, and that's part of what makes NH a great state. More fees and licenses don't make me happy.

joey2665 03-25-2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 308656)
Litter is not just a problem on the ice. Snowmobile trails, ATV trails etc are losing mileage because landowners don't want to deal with the trash that is buried in the snow alongside the trails, and they lose landowner permission. The clubs work with the state on trail maintenance and they are enforcing carry in, carry out, with their members. A good plan.
I don't see that a new fee would be sufficient to hire additional CO's to work year round, and seasonal employees are very difficult to hire as we know from other threads.
As with many issues here, a few people draw a lot of irritated posts. I am always grateful to those who pick up the ice after otters and retrieve hazards to navigation after ice out.
From Parks and Rec, volunteer First Responders, Selectmen and legislators and "Friends of" groups, NH is run by volunteers. That's our heritage and our culture, and that's part of what makes NH a great state. More fees and licenses don't make me happy.

I am not saying a large fee, may 10.00 to provide a registration sticker that must be on the bobhouse just like a sled. This way it will aid us in self policing, just call MP or F & G when you see an infraction and it is easy id for them to do their job and enforce the laws including littering.

Outdoorsman 03-25-2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 308638)

Dave

Surely you realize that it is not practical to "pack out" a BOBHOUSE each day.

Fee's are not the answer either unless you want every outdoor sport to rise in price so LE can hit the lakes in the winter to log each bobhouse. If they do not log them, they would never know who was there in the winter....

A couple of years ago I posted an article that was in the LADS referencing this very issue. It would seem that great improvements have been made, but it is the few that ruin it for the many.

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ght=trash+lake

upthesaukee 03-25-2019 07:33 PM

Not daily

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outdoorsman (Post 308665)
Surely you realize that it is not practical to "pack out" a BOBHOUSE each day.

Fee's are not the answer either unless you want every outdoor sport to rise in price so LE can hit the lakes in the winter to log each bobhouse. If they do not log them, they would never know who was there in the winter....

A couple of years ago I posted an article that was in the LADS referencing this very issue. It would seem that great improvements have been made, but it is the few that ruin it for the many.

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ght=trash+lake

Not daily. You put it out. When you are pulling the bob house to go elsewhere or call it a season, clean up the site and take your garbage with you; 2x4 blocks etc. I live in Alton Bay and know that we have a village on the ice. I also know that some leave junk behind when they pull the bob houses off the ice or move elsewhere.

Dave

Descant 03-25-2019 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 308660)
I am not saying a large fee, may 10.00 to provide a registration sticker that must be on the bobhouse just like a sled. This way it will aid us in self policing, just call MP or F & G when you see an infraction and it is easy id for them to do their job and enforce the laws including littering.

OK. Let's say 5000 bob houses on 960 lakes. Nah, lets say 10,000 x $10. Enough to hire one full time CO with benefits and a vehicle. It is difficult to justify to the legislature that 2.5 months of ice fishing justifies that fee. These fishermen are already paying a fee for a fishing license. Why should they be charged more than a summer fisherman? Pretend you're on a legislative committee and ask the questions. There are many more. Just pretend and ask yourself.

joey2665 03-26-2019 12:16 AM

I’m not saying it’s to hire another CO and a vehicle they have plenty already it’s merely for easy identification especially if a responsible person sees infractions and calls it in to the MP or FG.

tis 03-26-2019 07:08 AM

When we were kids we found all kinds of beer bottles and cans from the bob houses.

upthesaukee 03-26-2019 07:25 AM

Yup

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 308692)
When we were kids we found all kinds of beer bottles and cans from the bob houses.

As a kid snorkling or scuba diving, we would occasionally find piles of beer cans and beer/soda bottles. Judging from the tightness of these piles, it would seem to indicate the location of a bobhouse, where these items were deep-sixed over the season.

Dave

SAMIAM 03-26-2019 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 308692)

We still do....every spring there is a trail of discarded cans and bottles for a mile on our road. From the area where they park to the main road. Each spring a few of us walk the road with baggies and a truck .
FYI....Ice fisherman favorites are Bud, Bud Lite and Hard Iced Tea....usually fill up 6 to 8 bags

tis 03-26-2019 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 308697)
We still do....every spring there is a trail of discarded cans and bottles for a mile on our road. From the area where they park to the main road. Each spring a few of us walk the road with baggies and a truck .
FYI....Ice fisherman favorites are Bud, Bud Lite and Hard Iced Tea....usually fill up 6 to 8 bags

Not to mention IN the lake. We often cut our feet on old rusted out cans and broken bottles.

swnoel 03-26-2019 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 308697)

How about the ones like me that don't drink? I don't appreciate being pooled in with pigs... by the way is it ice fishermen that drive the roads throwing trash out into the ditches?

TheTimeTraveler 03-26-2019 11:40 AM

Maybe an easy solution would be to institute a deposit on cans and bottles like is done in several bordering states.

Suddenly those bottles and cans may disappear on their own and won't be left around anymore.....

joey2665 03-26-2019 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler (Post 308709)
Maybe an easy solution would be to institute a deposit on cans and bottles like is done in several bordering states.

Suddenly those bottles and cans may disappear on their own and won't be left around anymore.....

Honestly do not think a deposit will help. If people are arrogant enough to leave their garbage they could care less about 5 cents

upthesaukee 03-26-2019 02:28 PM

Kids money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 308710)
Honestly do not think a deposit will help. If people are arrogant enough to leave their garbage they could care less about 5 cents

Growing up in MA more than 50 yrs ago, we picked bottles up and turned them in to get enough money for a soda and a candy bar. :D

Dave

TiltonBB 03-26-2019 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 308715)
Growing up in MA more than 50 yrs ago, we picked bottles up and turned them in to get enough money for a soda and a candy bar. :D

Dave

I don't think so. The deposit law passed in Massachusetts 37 years ago.

"The Massachusetts Bottle Bill (Mass. Bills H.2943/S.1588) is a container-deposit legislation dealing with recycling in the United States that originally passed in the U.S. state of Massachusetts in 1982 as the Beverage Container Recovery Law."

fatlazyless 03-26-2019 03:22 PM

Back in the early 1960's, I can remember taking green quart glass bottles of Canada Dry ginger ale back to the store, for a refund of 2-cents or 5-cents, depending on size, in the Boston and Nantasket areas. It was not required by Massachusetts law, and was just done that way for years and years and years with glass bottles, placed into all wood, bottle racks, and sent back to the bottler for cleaning and refill with a new bottle cap.

People would save their empty glass soda bottles for a month or two before taking them all back to the store. For some unknown reason, there were no returnable, hard liquor glass bottles? Maybe glass beer bottles were returnable?

Those were the days of Cub Scout bottle drives, where the local Cub Scout packs would hit the neighborhood, go knock on doors, and ask for empty glass soda and beer(?) bottles. People would rinse them out, otherwise they attracted bugs while sitting in the back porch, or somewhere.

P-3 Guy 03-26-2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 308717)

"The Massachusetts Bottle Bill (Mass. Bills H.2943/S.1588) is a container-deposit legislation dealing with recycling in the United States that originally passed in the U.S. state of Massachusetts in 1982 as the Beverage Container Recovery Law."

Before the law was passed in Massachusetts, some bottling companies ran their own redemption program. So, I think what upthesaukee is describing was certainly possible in Massachusetts more than 50 years ago.

joey2665 03-26-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 308715)

Dave

Same here but obviously the deposit charge has not increased with inflation. [emoji6]

fatlazyless 03-26-2019 03:48 PM

In Maine, it's 15-cents for wine and beer containers, and Maine is talk'n about rais'n soda containers from 5 to 15-cents, too.

Top-Water 03-26-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMI Guy (Post 308720)
Before the law was passed in Massachusetts, some bottling companies ran their own redemption program. So, I think what upthesaukee is describing was certainly possible in Massachusetts more than 50 years ago.

Correct :):)

If ?? I am remembering correctly you could get .02 cents per glass bottle in the mid 1960's before they passed the bottle & can redemption laws we are familiar with today.

I only seem to remember it being available for the old tall green coke bottles.

Worth $55.00 now
https://www.ebay.com/i/153149500088?chn=ps

or ....... $2,400.00 for 200 bottles
https://www.ebay.com/itm/200-COCA-CO...frcectupt=true

Top-Water 03-26-2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 308710)

:confused: but sadly I love it when I see a car going down the road with a "SAVE THE WHALES" bumper sticker and the Mac Donald's bag being tossed out the window at the same time, genuinely confused about that one.

Outdoorsman 03-26-2019 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 308730)
:confused: but sadly I love it when I see a car going down the road with a "SAVE THE WHALES" bumper sticker and the Mac Donald's bag being tossed out the window at the same time, genuinely confused about that one.

How often have you actually seen that?

If you say anything more than zero I am calling BS

Top-Water 03-26-2019 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outdoorsman (Post 308731)
How often have you actually seen that?

If you say anything less than zero I am calling BS

Excuse me .......sorry .......... I made a mistake, I should have stated it's a save the planet bumper sticker

MAXUM 03-26-2019 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 308732)
Excuse me .......sorry .......... I made a mistake, I should have stated it's a save the planet bumper sticker

It's OK I'm sure they took the plastic straw out of the bag before tossing so it was fully biodegradable! ;)

wobbelbill 03-27-2019 04:32 AM

Quote:

Growing up in 50s and 60s -long before the "bottle bill" it certainly was possible-and if you lived near a grocery store and package store you could return almost every type bottle and pocket the (what seemed at the time) the wealth!

In last decade seems that many of bottle return companies have closed making it tougher for Massdachusettsians to turn in recyclables; I have heard the company "take" was a penny a unit to handle, and it was too little

Biggd 03-27-2019 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wobbelbill (Post 308742)
Growing up in 50s and 60s -long before the "bottle bill" it certainly was possible-and if you lived near a grocery store and package store you could return almost every type bottle and pocket the (what seemed at the time) the wealth!

In last decade seems that many of bottle return companies have closed making it tougher for Massdachusettsians to turn in recyclables; I have heard the company "take" was a penny a unit to handle, and it was too little

I had one next door to my shop in Woburn but when their lease expired it closed as the owner remodeled the building and jacked up the rent.

But honestly I'm glad it's gone because it was patronized mostly by drunks. They would be there early in the morning turning in their empties then head over to the package store and wait for it to open at 10am. :(

The air is a little fresher too now that the smell of stale beer from the empties is gone. :D

webmaster 03-27-2019 09:43 AM

Quote:

There were definitely deposits on many glass bottles in Massachusetts before the Bottle Bill. When I was about 12 years old we used to go door to door with our wagons, offer to take their bottles and we'd take a load to A&P. That money paid for laps at the Slot Car (remember those?) track. That was about 53 years ago.

Orion 03-27-2019 10:06 AM

Yes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 308757)
There were definitely deposits on many glass bottles in Massachusetts before the Bottle Bill. When I was about 12 years old we used to go door to door with our wagons, offer to take their bottles and we'd take a load to A&P. That money paid for laps at the Slot Car (remember those?) track. That was about 53 years ago.

We must be close in age because I did the same things! And I used to hitchhike to the local slot car track.

webmaster 03-27-2019 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orion (Post 308761)
We must be close in age because I did the same things! And I used to hitchhike to the local slot car track.

Slot car racing was BIG back then. For anyone too young to remember here's some video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JPgTVHBhoWk?start=22" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

garysanfran 03-27-2019 10:43 AM

Great nostalgia...

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 308769)
Slot car racing was BIG back then. For anyone too young to remember here's some video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JPgTVHBhoWk?start=22" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And everyone got a trophy!!!

Not a loser in the bunch and lots of mustaches...

What fun!

Biggd 03-27-2019 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 308769)

As was hitch hiking. When was the last time you saw a hitch hiker and why would anyone pick one up today?

Orion 03-27-2019 04:32 PM

Noooo!

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 308770)
And everyone got a trophy!!!

Not a loser in the bunch and lots of mustaches...

What fun!

Nope, back then you actually had to EARN a trophy! What a concept.