Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Outdoor Recreation (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Mt Major Conservation (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19925)

Slickcraft 10-06-2015 06:22 PM

Mt Major Conservation

From a Belknap Range Conservation Coailtion (BRCC) news letter:

Quote:

On Saturday, October 10 from 9 am to 12:30 pm, a Celebration of Land Conservation Success in the Belknap Mountains will be held at the Mount Major Parking Lot on NH Route 11 in Alton. Come join the celebration and hear an update on recent conservation projects that have protected nearly 1,000 acres and the trailhead at Mount Major. The Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests; the Lakes Region Conservation Trust and the Belknap Range Conservation Coalition will greet hikers and will provide information on what has been accomplished and plans for continuing conservation efforts.

secondcurve 10-07-2015 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 252563)
From a Belknap Range Conservation Coailtion (BRCC) news letter:

Don't be afraid to ask when they will be opening the area to more snowmobiling as was originally promised.

tis 10-07-2015 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondcurve (Post 252577)
Don't be afraid to ask when they will be opening the area to more snowmobiling as was originally promised.

You mean like Castle in the Clouds trails??

wifi 10-07-2015 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 252578)
You mean like Castle in the Clouds trails??

Exactly :(

mcdude 10-08-2015 02:37 PM

I'm seeing lots of snowmobile trails on this map. How many do you need?

Castle in the Clouds is a property of the Lakes Region Conservation Trust
The steward of Mt. Major/Belknaps Mts. is the Belknap Range Conservation Coalition
I wasn't aware that the BRCC pulled the same "stunt" as the LRCT at the Castle property regarding snowmobiles. If so, I'd like to hear more about this. Thanks :-)

wifi 10-08-2015 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdude (Post 252635)
....The steward of Mt. Major/Belknaps Mts. is the Belknap Range Conservation Coalition.....

The board of directors contains both the LRCT and the SPNHF, both of which are overbearing controlling organizations. I have first hand experience with them, but I'm not trying to start an argument. :)

Slickcraft 10-10-2015 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondcurve (Post 252577)

The three parcels in Alton were purchased by the Forest Society using funds raised in the campaign of the past few years. As promised the Forest Society has established a working group of local stakeholders including the Mt Major Snowmobile Association. The purpose of the group is to hammer out agreements as to future management of the lands. So far they have had 3 meeting with an officer of the snowmobile club being a participant. I don’t have info as to the status of the meetings but why not contact a club officer?

Two years ago the Alton Conservation held a public forum on using $240K from the conversation fund to support the purchase by the Forest Society. I spoke about the need to preserve all traditional uses including hiking, hunting and snowmobiling. An officer from the snowmobile club then spoke in favor of supporting the purchase noting that they have had good luck working with the Forest Society and the alternative was the properties being developed.

The $240K from Alton was not a pure donation, the Town bought conservation easements on all 3 properties guaranteeing forever public access for the traditional uses including snowmobiling.

I will disclose that I was a founding member/director of the BRCC. In 2008 speaking at the Alton Town Meeting about putting more $ into the conversation fund to help preserve land in the Belkap Range from development, I was made keenly aware of local snowmobilers resentment of what happened at Castle in the Clouds. Some of those local snowmobilers were my friends and in some cases fellow board members. I can assure you that this awareness was implanted into the BRCC board.

Probably many local snowmobilers will always have a cynical view of land conservation. So be it.
Peace.

wifi 10-10-2015 05:46 PM

I would hope that any and all agreements to keeping all the current recreation trails for hiking, snowmobiling, 4wheel access, etc are in writing and enforceable, between all the parties involved.