Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   recommend a mini split installer (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28269)

Woody38 08-28-2022 10:55 PM

recommend a mini split installer

Thinking of installing a mini split, Mitsubishi. Does anyone have someone they recommend. We are in Laconia.
Thanks in advance.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic

Garcia 08-29-2022 05:07 AM

I used Home Energy Products in Belmont this summer and have been happy so far.

Slickcraft 08-29-2022 05:08 AM

Home Energy Products

https://www.homeenergyproducts.net/

Do a search here.

Alan

John Mercier 08-29-2022 06:45 AM

Lavalley-Middleton currently does them.

Mike Breton at the Meredith store 603-279-7911
Jim Pearo at the Bristol store 603-744-5446

Our Bristol store currently does all the first and second floor heating and cooling from them.

ishoot308 08-29-2022 06:54 AM

Another Vote

Home Energy for sure!

Dan

FlyingScot 08-29-2022 07:06 AM

Make sure you check out the new incentives from the Inflation Reduction Act. It's a bit complicated, and I do not know all the details, but it looks like just about anyone can get thousands of dollars back from the Feds. Plus, some states and local utilities have additional $ on top of this.

codeman671 08-29-2022 10:54 AM

FW Webb supplies many of the local installers. They are pushing everyone towards Samsung units now. We are in the process of having Gunstock HVAC do our whole home install with Samsung. Its a combination of wall units, ceiling cassettes. and ducted air handlers.

WinnisquamZ 08-29-2022 12:37 PM

Callahan AC/Heat in Moultonborough

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

XCR-700 08-29-2022 12:42 PM

Just out of curiosity wondering what people are paying for a minisplit to do one room. I have a neighbor that just had one installed in a 3 season room and I was shocked at how expensive it was. Not really sure why anyone would pay that much, so it begs the question did she get ripped off, or is there some reason people would go this route over a classic window/wall unit and not save untold thousands of dollars. I feel certain I am missing something as I thought minisplits were supposed to be an inexpensive option.

WinnisquamZ 08-29-2022 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCR-700 (Post 375689)
Just out of curiosity wondering what people are paying for a minisplit to do one room. I have a neighbor that just had one installed in a 3 season room and I was shocked at how expensive it was. Not really sure why anyone would pay that much, so it begs the question did she get ripped off, or is there some reason people would go this route over a classic window/wall unit and not save untold thousands of dollars. I feel certain I am missing something as I thought minisplits were supposed to be an inexpensive option.

The equipment costs have almost doubled over the past year. A single head unit for both heat and AC was around $2600 installed a few years ago. Today, depending on the brand around $5k

codeman671 08-29-2022 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCR-700 (Post 375689)

A window unit doesn't provide heat.

XCR-700 08-29-2022 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 375690)
The equipment costs have almost doubled over the past year. A single head unit for both heat and AC was around $2600 installed a few years ago. Today, depending on the brand around $5k

For a modest 3 season room, my neighbor paid over $12,000

Somehow that seems a bit much.

Garcia 08-29-2022 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCR-700 (Post 375695)

I paid about $7000 (before the $900 rebate) for two units. It will heat and cool the 900 sq foot camp.

John Mercier 08-29-2022 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman671 (Post 375691)
A window unit doesn't provide heat.

I am waiting to see someone place it in backwards to force the outside heat inside.

Should be pretty rough reaching the controls.

FlyingScot 08-29-2022 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia (Post 375699)
I paid about $7000 (before the $900 rebate) for two units. It will heat and cool the 900 sq foot camp.

Also keep in mind that you'll get $2,000 back in tax credits (I think you can probably get the credit on the pre-rebate price), and the $12,000 guy will get nearly $4,000 back from the IRS

WinnisquamZ 08-29-2022 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCR-700 (Post 375695)

That’s too much. Unless you are missing something

SteveO123 08-29-2022 04:09 PM

Home Energy Products. We got 5 units for $15k, with wireless thermostat and they did the wiring too, including installing a new subpanel… after rebates our cost was about $8k. No kidding. Oh BTW it was 2013…

DBreskin 08-30-2022 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveO123 (Post 375718)
Home Energy Products.

2nd vote for Home Energy Products. We had 4 inside units connected to one outside units installed in 2018 for about$15k.

Our neighbor got a quote from them last year for 8 inside units (unknown number outside) for $35k but theirs is a very difficult installation.

Riviera 08-30-2022 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody38 (Post 375663)
Thinking of installing a mini split, Mitsubishi. Does anyone have someone they recommend.

Be sure to check the heating capacity at the lowest outdoor temperature you expect to need heat. A unit that provides 24,000 BTU of rated heating capacity at 32F might only provide 10,000 BTU at -5F, for example.

Also check the outdoor temp at which the unit will stop operating. Some will stop operating at -5F, where others might stop at -13F. Mitsubishi H2i/hyperheat units generally operate down to -13F, but not at the full rated capacity of the unit.

Both of the above concerns are less of an issue if you have a backup heat source, or if it isn’t critical to maintain indoor temps on ultra cold winter days.

@thelake 08-30-2022 11:32 PM

Another recommendation for Home Energy Products in Belmont

Ten years ago, they installed three H2i/hyperheat units for us, two 9's and one 18, still working great.

The Honeywell wireless thermostats rock, being able to control the units from your phone, on-site or while you're away. They also display the current temperatures at each thermostat. No subscription, and the service has been very reliable. You'll need home Internet, the Mitsubishi's create their own wireless network with an adapter that attaches to the inside unit.

Home Energy Products will service them (haven't needed that yet), provide warrantee factory updates at no charge, and clean/maintain them annually or as requested for a very reasonable fee.
We've skipped the last few years, but are looking forward to having them out to clean the inside and outside units, and check the refrigerant levels, etc.

The Mitsubishi's (at least our models, from 10 years ago) will produce heat all the way down to -13, but I usually turn them off once the temps hit the single digits.
We primarily heat with propane (Rinnai's) and use these for supplemental heat in the bedroom, etc.
They're working so hard to produce heat at -13, on those few overnights a year I'll break out the space heater.

Woody38 08-31-2022 09:57 AM

Thanks to all who have replied to my query.
I will contact installers to assess exactly what we are able to do. I like the fact that the inside unit will be high on the wall, however, the outside unit may provide issues. Installers will have the answers.
I am not fond of putting in a thru-wall A/C unit as it is in the family room and will take valuable space. That may be the only solution.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic

CowTimes 08-31-2022 08:37 PM

We shopped for Mitsubishi hyper heat units this year for our lake house, after having had a system at our main house for several years with great success. At least when we were looking a couple months ago, there were still big supply chain issues on the hyper heat multi-head condensers. So you may have to wait a bit to get exactly what you want. We put it off to next year as a result. The installers ended up giving us quotes this year for non-hyper heat units and also Samsungs as an alternative (which apparently are catching up in technology and features with Mitsubishi). I couldn’t believe the variation in price for the exact same 5-head systems, ranging from around $13,500 all the way to $19,000. It very much pays to shop around on these. I know that reputation of the installer and the quality of the install matters, but not $6,500 when they have the same warranty!

Rockslider 08-31-2022 11:24 PM

Marc Doyon Plumbing and Heating

Marc Doyon of Marc Doyon Plumbing and Heating in Rochester installed a split system in my house in Wolfeboro -- two head units, one wall mounted and one floor mounted, and one condenser. He had the best price I found in several years of research, and I couldn't be happier with the system. He does great work and is a real professional, and does a lot of work in this area. The split system cools the lower floor of the house and heats a previously unheated Great Room with a 19 foot ceiling -- works great.