Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   WMUR on Hulu (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26215)

Chimi 08-15-2020 08:13 AM

WMUR on Hulu

I had been getting WMUR on Hulu at my house on Cow Island for the last year. I had not been to the house since the power went out a couple of weeks ago. When I got here yesterday I no longer had WMUR on Hulu live, but instead I’m getting WMTV from Portland. I called Hulu and they told me that the IP address is showing that we are in the Portland viewing area (according to FCC) so there’s nothing they can do about it. They said it was a mistake that I was getting WMUR prior to the power outage. Kind of ridiculous.

Is there any other way to get WMUR with a different service (Sling perhaps)?

mcdude 08-15-2020 08:17 AM

I watch WMUR news on the "NewsOn" app if it's news you are looking for.

upthesaukee 08-15-2020 08:30 AM

Not with Hulu but...

Not with Hulu, but last November we took the train from Boston to Orlando FL.

We had cut the cord earlier in the year and started using YouTubeTV here in Alton. We watched, among other things, WMUR all the way down and back, even while using my phone as a hot spot.

YouTubeTV just went to $65 per month. I do know that a friend in Freedom is considered in the Maine viewing area and cannot get WMUR.

Perhaps McDude's suggestion is a good one.

Dave

mcdude 08-15-2020 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 341655)
YouTubeTV just went to $65 per year.

Regretfully, it's actually $65 per month.

Kamper 08-15-2020 09:25 AM

WMUR.com ?

Doobs41378 08-15-2020 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 341655)
Not with Hulu, but last November we took the train from Boston to Orlando FL.

We had cut the cord earlier in the year and started using YouTubeTV here in Alton. We watched, among other things, WMUR all the way down and back, even while using my phone as a hot spot.

YouTubeTV just went to $65 per year. I do know that a friend in Freedom is considered in the Maine viewing area and cannot get WMUR.

Perhaps McDude's suggestion is a good one.

Dave

We get WMUR in Freedom On YouTube TV but we got the Portland station when we had Spectrum. Perhaps this is because our "home" for Youtube TV is in Southern NH?

upthesaukee 08-15-2020 10:50 AM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdude (Post 341656)
Regretfully, it's actually $65 per month.

Thanks. My post corrected. Wishful thinking I guess. Still less than half what we were paying with TDS, including our ABB internet cost.

Dave

Woodguy53 08-15-2020 11:22 AM

Not sure if this will help but you may want to check with your Internet provider to see if they can “do something”. our provider was Fairpoint which was taken over by consolidated communication. Since CC took over when we search for something “near me” the returns have been from Burlington VT area, Newport NH area, and now all the returns are from Keene NH (we live in Bedford)
I don’t know much about how providers manage your location but when we had Fairpoint the returns were out of Manchester. (Today we are apparently in Hempstead NH)

DBreskin 08-15-2020 08:16 PM

I use YouTube TV in Wolfeboro. Normally I’d be assigned the Portland-Burlington market based on my IP address and not have access to the Boston market stations including WMUR. My workaround is to log in to the YouTube TV app on my phone during travel to the Concord area (Boston TV market) and assign that as my home area. The setting sticks for three months and allows me to watch Boston programming. I have to update quarterly.

tummyman 08-15-2020 08:45 PM

YouTube TV all the way. Do the free trial and see what you can get. We switched and LOVE IT !!!!! After we cancelled MA Verizon Fios TV and NH Spectrum TV, saving $1300 per year in total for the two cable tv services.

Loub52 08-16-2020 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimi (Post 341653)
I had been getting WMUR on Hulu at my house on Cow Island for the last year. I had not been to the house since the power went out a couple of weeks ago. When I got here yesterday I no longer had WMUR on Hulu live, but instead I’m getting WMTV from Portland. I called Hulu and they told me that the IP address is showing that we are in the Portland viewing area (according to FCC) so there’s nothing they can do about it. They said it was a mistake that I was getting WMUR prior to the power outage. Kind of ridiculous.

Is there any other way to get WMUR with a different service (Sling perhaps)?

YouTube TV via Roku. In depth thread on the topic of streaming here too: https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...eaming+service

MAXUM 08-16-2020 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodguy53 (Post 341669)
Not sure if this will help but you may want to check with your Internet provider to see if they can “do something”. our provider was Fairpoint which was taken over by consolidated communication. Since CC took over when we search for something “near me” the returns have been from Burlington VT area, Newport NH area, and now all the returns are from Keene NH (we live in Bedford)
I don’t know much about how providers manage your location but when we had Fairpoint the returns were out of Manchester. (Today we are apparently in Hempstead NH)

Service providers have gateways that trunk all network traffic from a specific area of operation out onto the internet. These are typically fault tolerant but are not in the same geographic area as you are. These points are what your media provider sees as they try to figure out where you are coming from.

Your specific connection by your device is sitting on a private network that is not routable or discoverable from the outside world, this is for your protection! Your router acts as a NAT gateway on to the service provider's network which does the same thing again at their access point described above. Your true identity is encapsulated and encrypted within the packet data itself from prying eyes.

Chimi 08-16-2020 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdude (Post 341654)
I watch WMUR news on the "NewsOn" app if it's news you are looking for.

Problem seems to be solved with the NewOn app through Roku. Thanks to you and everyone else for your suggestions.

Merrymeeting 08-16-2020 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBreskin (Post 341699)
I use YouTube TV in Wolfeboro. Normally I’d be assigned the Portland-Burlington market based on my IP address and not have access to the Boston market stations including WMUR. My workaround is to log in to the YouTube TV app on my phone during travel to the Concord area (Boston TV market) and assign that as my home area. The setting sticks for three months and allows me to watch Boston programming. I have to update quarterly.

I use YouTubeTV in New Durham, about 3 miles from the Wolfeboro line. They put us in the Boston market. Apparently the town/county line must be the break point.

tummyman 08-16-2020 04:46 PM

Even though Cow Island is in Tuftonboro, go to the Youtube tv web site and plug in the Wolfeboro zip code and see what you get for channels. Then sign up for the free trial if it works out.