Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Fresh fish (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29282)

wadden 01-03-2024 12:50 PM

Fresh fish

Until Moulton Farm reopens with Sal’s fish, where is the best place to buy fresh fish in the area?

Meredith AK 01-03-2024 01:03 PM

Berigi Jr Seafood Market

Located 441 NH-49, Campton, NH 03223
Albeit a bit of a drive, but fish is fresh and a lot less expensive than Sal's.
Telephone # 603-960-9405.

ghfromaltonbay 01-03-2024 02:25 PM

Wolfe Trap

Wolfe Trap in Wolfeboro on Bay St

BroadHopper 01-03-2024 02:46 PM

Makris in Concord

Off 106 has a fresh seafood market. Get there early as they sell out!

wadden 01-03-2024 05:07 PM

Thank you, everyone!

Heaven 01-03-2024 05:57 PM

https://www.theboysseafoodcompany.com/

phoenix 01-04-2024 02:36 PM

io think there is a fresh seafood market in Ossipee. On the right after you take a left at smokehouse barbeque

SAMIAM 01-09-2024 08:50 AM

Most people don't realize this but E.M.Heaths has the best fish of any supermarket in the area. They are supplied my Mehan Fisheries, the same supplier to O's, Canoe and some of the best restaurants in the area.....even the VK buys haddock from Mehans.
Anyway.....Mark tests his swordfish for fat content. It is always juicy and flavorful. Also tuna cod and haddock are fresh from (mostly) Portland docks
Only thing is......read the label. Make sure it's not previously frozen. Most stores will freeze when overstocked and sell it later.......not nearly as good.

tis 01-09-2024 09:00 AM

I totally agree. I don't like frozen fish. If it is flash frozen off the boat, that is one thing, but there is no way to know. Is there?

WinnisquamZ 01-09-2024 10:24 AM

It’s the use of farm raised salmon over wild catch that has me concerned. Many restaurants refuse to identify on their menu which is used. Never farm raised. High fat content and food coloring added

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

SAMIAM 01-21-2024 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 390466)
I totally agree. I don't like frozen fish. If it is flash frozen off the boat, that is one thing, but there is no way to know. Is there?

Stores will print "fresh" right on the wrapping. If its frozen at sea I think they have to let you know

Newbiesaukee 01-21-2024 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 390469)
It’s the use of farm raised salmon over wild catch that has me concerned. Many restaurants refuse to identify on their menu which is used. Never farm raised. High fat content and food coloring added

Consumer alert:

Faroe Island salmon which commands high prices on the menu is “farmed” never wild.

Branzino, another popular menu item, is always farm raised if on U.S. menus.

Not all “farm raised” is the same; but most consumers are misled by menu designations.

First Mate 02-26-2024 04:21 PM

So happy that Sal's is now open!! In the meantime we tried Bergie Jr. in Campton as mentioned upthread, thank you for the recommendation. The prices I saw were comparable/slightly less than Sal's and their haddock was really good. They also have a takeout menu and some tables inside (no service).

On another note, we were sorry to find that Tides in Rochester has permanently closed, or at least at the old location. It was a place we frequented in winter whenever in the area, sorry to see them gone.

SAMIAM 02-27-2024 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee (Post 390654)
Consumer alert:

Faroe Island salmon which commands high prices on the menu is “farmed” never wild.

Branzino, another popular menu item, is always farm raised if on U.S. menus.

Not all “farm raised” is the same; but most consumers are misled by menu designations.

You’re right about about farmed salmon but at least it is raised in ocean cages rather than filthy ponds like tilapia. Norwegian salmon is antibiotics-free and non-GMO so it is the best of them all...also salmon farmed in Maine is pretty safe to eat.
When I was in business I would never sell tilapia.....Tilapia can thrive in filthy water. even sewerage. It is NASTY.....google up "Filthy Tilapia Farms and see for yourself. Same goes for farm raised shrimp. Shrimp ponds are so nasty the water is black from overloading...huge amounts of antibiotics are needed to fight diseases. Always buy wild caught shrimp, preferably from the gulf of Mexico. Even Walmart and chains carry the wild caught shrimp so just read the label.

FlyingScot 02-27-2024 08:36 AM

Also with respect to farm raised fish...remember that none of our food is perfect. Farm raised salmon, with it's "high fat and artificial color" as described above, is still a world better for you than steak or chicken

WinnisquamZ 02-27-2024 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 391504)
Also with respect to farm raised fish...remember that none of our food is perfect. Farm raised salmon, with it's "high fat and artificial color" as described above, is still a world better for you than steak or chicken

" as described above, is still a world better for you than steak or chicken”

How one says they no little about nutritional requirements without saying it

Sue Doe-Nym 02-27-2024 10:51 AM

Yikes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 391503)
You’re right about about farmed salmon but at least it is raised in ocean cages rather than filthy ponds like tilapia. Norwegian salmon is antibiotics-free and non-GMO so it is the best of them all...also salmon farmed in Maine is pretty safe to eat.
When I was in business I would never sell tilapia.....Tilapia can thrive in filthy water. even sewerage. It is NASTY.....google up "Filthy Tilapia Farms and see for yourself. Same goes for farm raised shrimp. Shrimp ponds are so nasty the water is black from overloading...huge amounts of antibiotics are needed to fight diseases. Always buy wild caught shrimp, preferably from the gulf of Mexico. Even Walmart and chains carry the wild caught shrimp so just read the label.

We were just invited a few days ago to a luncheon honoring volunteers….and one of the food choices was tilapia, and that’s what I chose! 🤨 It’s been fun knowing y’all! 🙄

Descant 02-27-2024 12:31 PM

Norwegian salmon

My wife loves Salmon. Where can I get Norwegian salmon? What about frozen/mail order?

Is this like Maine Lobster? I.e. same thing if it is trapped in NH, but we don't do the marketing very well? Danish Salmon? Scottish? As long as it's North Atlantic? What about Alaskan Salmon?
TIA

Rvbuddy 02-27-2024 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadden (Post 390332)
Until Moulton Farm reopens with Sal’s fish, where is the best place to buy fresh fish in the area?

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

SAMIAM 02-28-2024 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym (Post 391509)
We were just invited a few days ago to a luncheon honoring volunteers….and one of the food choices was tilapia, and that’s what I chose! 🤨 It’s been fun knowing y’all! 🙄

So sorry......rest in peace....will miss you on the forum :)

VitaBene 02-28-2024 08:54 AM

I believe Moulton Farms is reopening this Thursday. Thur-Sat 830-5

FlyingScot 02-28-2024 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 391508)
" as described above, is still a world better for you than steak or chicken”

How one says they no little about nutritional requirements without saying it

No need for petty insults. But back to the point...

Sadly, I have heart disease, so was "forced" to consult a professional nutritionist in 2022. On the "nutritional requirements" of salmon vs steak or chicken, the primary goal is to take in protein without taking in saturated fat. Keep in mind that saturated fat should not exceed approx 13g or so per day.

4 oz of salmon will give you about 23g of protein and 3.5g of saturated fat

4 oz of steak will give you 28 g of protein but a whopping 9g of saturated fat--that's 18 grams if you have a normal guy-sized 8 oz steak!!!

Chicken is heavily dependent on cut and cooking method, and salmon has the added bonus of good fats/Omega 3 and lower cholesterol, so I will leave those finer points to others. But no doctor will tell you that chicken is healthier overall than salmon.

MeredithMan 02-28-2024 11:55 AM

already open...

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 391531)
I believe Moulton Farms is reopening this Thursday. Thur-Sat 830-5

They opened for the season two weeks ago...Thurs-Sat only. Sal is definitely the #1 selling product right now. ;)

Sue Doe-Nym 02-28-2024 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 391530)
So sorry......rest in peace....will miss you on the forum :)

Thank you, Samiam….I will miss all the lively conversations on the forum.
😇🙏🎶

Sue Doe-Nym 03-11-2024 08:31 PM

Still here!!!

Today was the big tilapia luncheon! It would have been pretty tasty if they hadn’t put coconut on it! Anyhow, tilapia farmed in polluted water is survivable, so I will enjoy remaining part of the forum. 😂

SAMIAM 03-12-2024 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym (Post 391774)
Today was the big tilapia luncheon! It would have been pretty tasty if they hadn’t put coconut on it! Anyhow, tilapia farmed in polluted water is survivable, so I will enjoy remaining part of the forum. 😂

Haha....you should have warned your friends and fled in terror