Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tick Season (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26923)

WinnisquamZ 04-14-2021 06:30 PM

Tick Season

Pulled one off myself after today’s yard work. Maybe the incoming snow will waste this early buggers.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

bobkatfly 04-14-2021 06:46 PM

Ticks

I wouldn't hold my breath. They're insidious. We pull them off multiple times each season. I actually found one buried into my belly two years ago. Not sure why I didn't notice it early. Had to use an exacto knife to dig it out:eek:. Last year went for a walk in the woods with my granddaughter. My daughter found one attached on her next day. Needless to say, Papa caught hell.

thinkxingu 04-14-2021 07:17 PM

I've used Picaridin these last few years with great success.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

mswlogo 04-14-2021 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 353674)
I've used Picaridin these last few years with great success.

What's that?

jeffk 04-15-2021 04:58 AM

I found a tick on me yesterday after doing some outside work.

You can get Picaridin to treat your work clothes. It stays on through several washings. There is also the spray and a lotion version for application on the skin. I have found it effective also.

The problem is, even with brief outdoor time, not doing yard work, you can sometime pick them up.

thinkxingu 04-15-2021 05:16 AM

Just a note that there's Permethrin, which is used to treat clothes, hats, tents, etc. and Picaridin, which is used to treat skin, hair, etc. I've never had a need for the former (some of my clothing and accessories come pretreated), but the latter I use often—I keep a small can pretty much everywhere.

Also, today's fabrics are so light that wearing long pants and shirts, even in hot weather, is not a bad idea. Doing so, of course, also minimizes sun damage.

TCC 04-15-2021 05:17 AM

jeffk, I think you may be confusing pircaridin and permethrin.

PERMETHRIN is sprayed on clothing, allowed to dry, and provides some protection through several washings.

PIRCARIDIN is topical. It is applied to the skin and provides some protection for several hours.

You can wear permethrin treated clothing AND use a pircaradin based insect repellent for a greater level of protection, but you should still do regular "tick checks".

jeffk 04-15-2021 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCC (Post 353687)
jeffk, I think you may be confusing pircaridin and permethrin.

PERMETHRIN is sprayed on clothing, allowed to dry, and provides some protection through several washings.

PIRCARIDIN is topical. It is applied to the skin and provides some protection for several hours.

You can wear permethrin treated clothing AND use a pircaradin based insect repellent for a greater level of protection, but you should still do regular "tick checks".

Yup, sorry for the confusion.

MotorHead 04-15-2021 07:50 AM

Is this thing better then Cutter or Off, like for camping, fishing or mosquitos?

upthesaukee 04-15-2021 10:27 AM

Per Wikipedia

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotorHead (Post 353695)
Is this thing better then Cutter or Off, like for camping, fishing or mosquitos?

Per Wikipedia:

Commercial products
Commercial products containing icaridin include Cutter Advanced, Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus, Autan, Smidge, PiActive and MOK.O.[19]

Dave

thinkxingu 04-15-2021 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotorHead (Post 353695)

Cutter and Off have historically used Deet as the active ingredient, but in the last couple years have started offering products with Picaridin.

Deet feels gross and melts plastic, whereas I feel almost nothing with Picaridin. There are lotions and sprays, but I prefer the spray. This is what I use almost exclusively: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sawyer-Pr...Ounce/54778302

For some reason, finding Picaridin-based products early last year and the year before was difficult, but this year it appears they're everywhere.

As I mentioned above, I've never bought Permethrin to treat my own clothes, but the hats I have that are pretreated have worked incredibly well, especially when paired with a spray.

ApS 04-18-2021 04:20 AM

Maggie's Farm Is Huge in Insect Control...

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 353709)
Cutter and Off have historically used Deet as the active ingredient, but in the last couple years have started offering products with Picaridin.

Deet feels gross and melts plastic, whereas I feel almost nothing with Picaridin. There are lotions and sprays, but I prefer the spray. This is what I use almost exclusively: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sawyer-Pr...Ounce/54778302

For some reason, finding Picaridin-based products early last year and the year before was difficult, but this year it appears they're everywhere.

As I mentioned above, I've never bought Permethrin to treat my own clothes, but the hats I have that are pretreated have worked incredibly well, especially when paired with a spray.

The warnings to rinse off with soap and water in the instructions had me concerned, so I searched for an alternative. Maggie's Farm Organic insect repellent fit the bill.

Some complain that it feels greasy, but the feeling goes away almost instantly, and rinsing off the hands isn't necessary. (It's not at all like sunscreen lotion).

I bought four spray cans from Amazon after glowing success with one. :) Then a neighbor advised the repellent was being sold in our supermarket for $2 less! :rolleye1:

thinkxingu 04-18-2021 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 353810)
The warnings to rinse off with soap and water in the instructions had me concerned, so I searched for an alternative. Maggie's Farm Organic insect repellent fit the bill.

Some complain that it feels greasy, but the feeling goes away almost instantly, and rinsing off the hands isn't necessary. (It's not at all like sunscreen lotion).

I bought four spray cans from Amazon after glowing success with one. :) Then a neighbor advised the repellent was being sold in our supermarket for $2 less! :rolleye1:

I've tried a bunch of organics, and none seem to work across the board. Some work well for black flies, some for ticks, some for skitas. You've had good luck with this yourself?

phoenix 04-18-2021 08:31 AM

I dont know what i used as it is in the basement at the lake but we had a lot in our backyard and beach and i used this spray hooked up to hose and sprayed the beach and entire backyard near the beach and we didnt see any more. I think it will kill all that are visible. If anyone interested I can look back at my amazon purchases. It was not hazardous to pets or humans

phoenix 04-18-2021 08:34 AM

Its called wondercide and it worked for me

loonguy 04-18-2021 02:35 PM

I prefer the clothes, including socks, pants, shirts and hats, that are bug repellent, with insect repellent added to any exposed skin.

ApS 04-18-2021 06:39 PM

Maggie's Farm Is Still New-to-Me...

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 353812)
I've tried a bunch of organics, and none seem to work across the board. Some work well for black flies, some for ticks, some for skitas. You've had good luck with this yourself?

Yes, when it's applied morning and afternoon.

In Florida, the "target species" have wings, and aside from scorpions, I'm not troubled by any other species: even our wasps give us "space" to move around their homes.

In Wolfeboro, I'll average less than one tick per summer, but I'll give Maggie's Farm a fair test against ticks—everything else—and return with a full report. ;)

My interest in organics was piqued by warning labels on competitive brands. :eek:

ApS 06-15-2021 05:01 AM

Scraggly Grass...

Here's an early thread on ticks:

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...light=Scraggly

They're usually found in roadside "scraggly grass" locations. If there's any question of ticks being near you, attach a string to a white flannel sheet, and drag it through the questioned area.

(Check for ticks-large and tiny). ;)

Biggd 06-19-2021 08:28 AM

Not only are the tics bad this year but in my neighborhood the Deer Flies are particularly bad this year. I get eaten alive just taking the dog for a walk, as does the dog. :(