Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Site Support Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Top-Water (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26956)

webmaster 04-28-2021 07:20 AM

Top-Water

Regular readers should know that Top-Water was furious that APS and FLL posted in a history thread that he was also posting in and announced that he was done with this forum. He's also been highly critical of me for allowing them to post at all.

Apparently last night he went through his 600+ posts and deleted them all, one-by-one. Most of those posts were in the History section and included hundreds of fantastic historical photos that thousands have enjoyed.

I guess he showed me (and us). Countless historical threads are now gutted.

phoenix 04-28-2021 08:00 AM

very sad. personal temps are very high now

LIforrelaxin 04-28-2021 08:05 AM

Well that sucks.... and is unfortunate..... Some times people just can't let anger go.....

garysanfran 04-28-2021 08:08 AM

The intolerance today, of others of differing points-of-view, is intolerable!

camp guy 04-28-2021 08:20 AM

Top-Water

Everyone needs to take a step, no, make that 2 steps, back, then take a deep, deep breath, and relax. Life is too short to be in such a hurry.

jeffk 04-28-2021 08:24 AM

Sounds like he doesn't want to play anymore so he took his ball and went home. Too bad. Unfortunately, I have dealt with many people who have that attitude. I too have broken contact with some groups I was dissatisfied with but I didn't go scorched earth on them. I just disconnected quietly.

winniwannabe 04-28-2021 08:49 AM

That's unfortunate that TopWater pulled photos. I can honestly say that at times I shake my head at some of the postings from the above mentioned posters, but it is what it is. There will never be 100% agreement in any forum.
You have to be thick skinned. I agree w/ Jeff; if there's discord about topics you just disconnect quietly. Thank you Webmaster for all you do and letting us know. It's not a reflection on you at all. You do a great job of moderating and
are pretty fair in what is allowed. Looking forward to a great summer!

fatlazyless 04-28-2021 09:25 AM

That's a real shame ..... is too bad ..... he had a lot of fine, old, b&w photos and an olde historical photo is worth a thousand words.

Hey Top Water ....... am very sorry about that ..... you have the greatest historical photos ever made since history was first invented ..... and without them, here, it all becomes ancient forgotten history ..... boo-hoo.

WinnisquamZ 04-28-2021 09:58 AM

TopWater believed a free public forum allowed him individual space to display his old photographs. But, at the same time, wanted others to monitor who or what would be allowed to be posted on this free forum. As others wrote earlier, the intolerance of some to listen and understand others thoughts is the driving force behind this intolerance. We should always listen to others, however, others must never assume they can change one’s opinion. I must say the decision by our webmaster to identify those individuals Top Water had a problem with is troublesome. No need for it

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Puck 04-28-2021 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 354384)
TopWater believed a free public forum allowed him individual space to display his old photographs. But, at the same time, wanted others to monitor who or what would be allowed to be posted on this free forum. As others wrote earlier, the intolerance of some to listen and understand others thoughts is the driving force behind this intolerance. We should always listen to others, however, others must never assume they can change one’s opinion. I must say the decision by our webmaster to identify those individuals Top Water had a problem with is troublesome. No need for it

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

I agree on your last point. Bridge burned.

Puck 04-28-2021 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 354382)
That's a real shame ..... is too bad ..... he had a lot of fine, old, b&w photos and an olde historical photo is worth a thousand words.

Hey Top Water ....... am very sorry about that ..... you have the greatest historical photos ever made since history was first invented ..... and without them, here, it all becomes ancient forgotten history ..... boo-hoo.

While I certainly wish he had chosen differently I definitely respect that participation in this forum is a personal choice and Top-water chose to be done with it and withdraw. He and his contributions will truly be missed.

Sue Doe-Nym 04-28-2021 10:41 AM

While it’s a shame for someone to be so full of animus toward others on a forum such as this one, it is also a selfish maneuver to remove items of possible interest to others, such as old photos, etc. I suggest that we let Top finish his tantrum in solitude. He will probably miss us and come back. 🙄

tis 04-28-2021 12:00 PM

Oh no! I loved looking at Top's pictures. APS and FLL aggravate a lot of people but if you have followed them for many years, you know they mean no harm. Please come back Top.

BroadHopper 04-28-2021 01:55 PM

Top-water

I know him personally, and he in mind is not like that. It must have been quite a row to set him off. APS maybe but not FLL.

I can forgive FLL but APS piss me off long ago and will never be forgiven. He embarrasses me big time at Garwood's in front of friends and family members. So I just ignore him on this site. I did send him a curse PM when he made some mean remarks on my posts, since then he stops. I have to give a little credit.

Biggd 04-28-2021 02:40 PM

I don't care for either of their posts but I don't let it bother me. You don't have to read them. Life's too short to let people on a forum get under your skin.
Most of them are just lonely couped up men that have no one to talk. They have a captive audience on the forum. If you met them in person and they started to ramble as they do on here you would run the other way as fast as possible
[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

MeredithMan 04-28-2021 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 354409)
Most of them are just lonely couped up men that have no one to talk. They have a captive audience on the forum. If you met them in person and they started to ramble as they do on here you would run the other way as fast as possible
[emoji16]

Now that's funny! :laugh:

ApS 04-28-2021 05:57 PM

Calling 'Em As I Sees 'Em...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 354405)
I know him personally, and he in mind is not like that. It must have been quite a row to set him off. APS maybe but not FLL. I can forgive FLL but APS piss me off long ago and will never be forgiven. He embarrasses me big time at Garwood's in front of friends and family members. So I just ignore him on this site. I did send him a curse PM when he made some mean remarks on my posts, since then he stops. I have to give a little credit.

My cellphone alerted me to Top-Water's brief and angry replies—which I ignored.

Addressing me, he wrote, "Why are you writing in my thread?" (Words to that effect, when I'd advised of a duplicate photograph). In the first photograph, he'd asked for the year of the car in the photo—FLL beat me to the ID.

Top-Water really flew off the handle when FLL was able to copy the sign at Camp Kehonka's beachfront. (Wording is still in the thread). Both of Top-Water's peculiar rants disappeared shortly afterwards.

As for the Garwood$ complaint, BroadHopper has confused me with someone else. I've received no "curse PMs" and been at Garwood$ only once—when it opened. Was it twenty years ago? :confused:

tis 04-28-2021 06:01 PM

APS, you are just a big troublemaker!!😂

FlyingScot 04-28-2021 06:07 PM

It's hard to imagine ApS or FLL posting anything that would make a reasonable person so angry that they would quit.

It's even harder to imagine how any regular poster could be anything but grateful to our webmaster.

Winilyme 04-28-2021 06:28 PM

I'm sad to see him go. He seemed to be one of the few regular posters that stayed out of the politics and kept to simple, clean, lake-related fun.

Sounds like he went off the deep end or something yesterday but at the end of the day, when Top comes to his senses, I suspect he'll realize this move hurts him more than anyone else. What's the fun in a hobby if you can't share it with an appreciative audience? Given his focus on the Winni area, what other forum is going to provide him with that local fan base - one that has as much appreciation for the subject as he has?

thinkxingu 04-29-2021 04:29 AM

Top-Water was a complainer and self-appointed thread regulator. I'll never forget how much time he spent going on about my jetski research threads last year—that moment was one of the ones that made me start pushing back here because, while others contributed positively and messaged me in the background to continue conversations, he filled them with screenshots and criticisms.

If you look back, you'll find a ton of complaints about "wasted threads," "insane comments," etc.

While I'll always be disappointed in a forum member feeling like it's no longer a place for them to be, he was not without reproach, and his choice of exit was purely childish. I'll take APS's and FLL's silliness over bitterness and condemnation every day of the week.

Besides, TW hasn't once—EVER—helped anyone get a deal on foam noodles.

winniwannabe 04-29-2021 05:00 AM

:laugh:

Who needs a Walmart weekly flyer when we have FLL?

Winilyme 04-29-2021 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 354430)
Top-Water was a complainer and self-appointed thread regulator. I'll never forget how much time he spent going on about my jetski research threads last year—that moment was one of the ones that made me start pushing back here because, while others contributed positively and messaged me in the background to continue conversations, he filled them with screenshots and criticisms.

If you look back, you'll find a ton of complaints about "wasted threads," "insane comments," etc.

While I'll always be disappointed in a forum member feeling like it's no longer a place for them to be, he was not without reproach, and his choice of exit was purely childish. I'll take APS's and FLL's silliness over bitterness and condemnation every day of the week.

Besides, TW hasn't once—EVER—helped anyone get a deal on foam noodles.

Yeah - but I bet Top had some great historical photos of foam noodles.

gillygirl 04-29-2021 08:02 AM

Wow!! I saw his posts going off on FLL. I noticed later they were gone. I was hoping he realized they were unnecessary. Guess he went nuclear instead.

Thanks, Don, for putting up with our antics for all these years.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

thinkxingu 04-29-2021 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winilyme (Post 354440)
Yeah - but I bet Top had some great historical photos of foam noodles.

One can only hope he'll be back with them. I'll never forget the 1977 Funoodle—experts often identify it as the greatest foam noodle ever.

Biggd 04-29-2021 09:43 AM

Call it "Covid crazy!" :)

VitaBene 04-29-2021 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 354422)
It's hard to imagine ApS or FLL posting anything that would make a reasonable person so angry that they would quit.

It's even harder to imagine how any regular poster could be anything but grateful to our webmaster.

Haha! You missed the speed limit debates!!