Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Can We? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21064)

Stephen O 08-10-2016 11:10 AM

Can We?

So after some saving and scrimping we have been able to buy a second home in an association on the lake!! We close end of month so still have a little to get through.

Any way my wife and I as well as our whole family are extremely excited. My question is since it is not actually lake front but has lake access, beach and a dock, can we call it our lake house? I think so, but wasn't sure if the purists would call us out :)

See you soon!

DesertDweller 08-10-2016 11:20 AM

Congrats on the purchase. Went through the process about 3 years ago. I think you are well within your "rights" to refer to it as a lake house (at least in my opinion anyway). Where did you buy?

Stephen O 08-10-2016 11:32 AM

Thanks for the reply that's what I thought! We bought in Wolfeboro

MeredithMan 08-10-2016 11:34 AM

It's your house.....

StephenO--

Congrats on the vaca home! I'm sure it gives you a great sense of happiness, pride, & accomplishment!! As such, you can call it anything you like...it's yours!!

Best of luck

moose tracks 08-10-2016 11:35 AM

Congratulations on the purchase of your new lake house!

thinkxingu 08-10-2016 11:36 AM

Of course you can--congrats!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

codeman671 08-10-2016 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen O (Post 267038)
can we call it our lake house?

It's yours, call it whatever you want! :laugh:

Enjoy

Dave R 08-10-2016 11:50 AM

I checked the internet second home by-laws, section 112c parts ii and iv, and you have to call it your "lake-access house" (you actually have to say: "lake hyphen access house" or "lake minus access house"). So sorry.:D

Congrats!

Acrossamerica 08-10-2016 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen O (Post 267044)
Thanks for the reply that's what I thought! We bought in Wolfeboro

Everyone thinks if you live in Wolfeboro, you are rich. So enjoy the notoriety even though 90% of the town looks pretty much like the rest of NH and a few streets rival Farmington and other garden spots.

Barney Bear 08-10-2016 12:04 PM

Just Call Me.......

Coming from the Midwest, we have always called our place on East Bear Island the cottage. Neighbors refer to their place as their camp, or their lake house. Whatever you call it, it's heaven. 🐻

Stephen O 08-10-2016 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrossamerica (Post 267051)
Everyone thinks if you live in Wolfeboro, you are rich. So enjoy the notoriety even though 90% of the town looks pretty much like the rest of NH and a few streets rival Farmington and other garden spots.

That's funny because I'm feeling pretty darn broke right about now :coolsm:

Pineedles 08-10-2016 12:34 PM

My great grandfather built his cottage on Winni for a total cost of about $1,000. It's worth a million today. If you are feeling poor, just think about the appreciation you will get in 125 years.:laugh:

Pricestavern 08-10-2016 01:48 PM

Naming

"Lake House" is perfectly fine.

Other terms I've heard:
  • Cottage
  • Camp
  • Cabin
  • Money Sucking Dwelling near the Water

But most importantly 'Mine'!

Welcome and Best Wishes :)

Charlie T 08-10-2016 02:08 PM

I asked an Expert

Quote:

So after some saving and scrimping we have been able to buy a second home in an association on the lake!! We close end of month so still have a little to get through.

Any way my wife and I as well as our whole family are extremely excited. My question is since it is not actually lake front but has lake access, beach and a dock, can we call it our lake house? I think so, but wasn't sure if the purists would call us out :)

See you soon!

I have a similar scenario at my house in Gilford. We are about 200 ft from the lake with association access to the lake, a small semi private beach and dock. My family expert 3 yr. old Gabby is constantly asking me when we can go to the "lake house" She is the family Princess and so she what she says goes. :-)

So there you have it. Call it your "Lake House" and Cherish every minute you can spend there. I for one feel the tension drain right out of me as soon as I get in the car to head to mine.

Best of luck with your new home!

Charlie T

ishoot308 08-10-2016 02:43 PM

Awesome!

Congrats on your new "Lake House"!!! (of course that's alright! It's your house at the lake after all! :):))

Hope you make lots of great memories there!!

Enjoy!

Dan

gwhite13 08-10-2016 06:56 PM

Lake house

Congrats Stephen O

I think only outdoorguy would try to deny you the privilege of the moniker "lake house".

Descant 08-10-2016 09:32 PM

Welcome to the lake and welcome to the Forum.

I remember a conversation many years ago with a client from NY. I said "camp" and they noted that nobody around here has a "lake house", it's always a "camp". I then noted that it wasn't really mine, it was a "family place". They said that was something else they noticed. "Nobody ever owns anything here--it's always a "family place".

So I guess it's a matter of your own jargon. If you say "lake house" to me, I'm pretty sure you're not from NH. If you say "camp", I'm pretty sure you're at least second generation, or you have kids who will be, and you've been in NH a couple of decades.

If you say "cottage" I'm pretty sure it's on the mainland and has more than four bedrooms, or at least a guest house. (A guest house is different from a "bunk house" of which most island camps have at least one. Lower taxes and more privacy from/for the kids.)

As I think about it, we mostly talk within the family about going to "the lake"; sometimes, to others, we say we have a camp on a lake If we want to brag, we just say "We have a place on Lake Winnipesaukee. "Place" is perfectly vague.

Summary, I think "Lake house" says you're not from NH, but it is yours and you can call it anything you like.

PS
If you say "T'warn't easy to buy" I'm pretty sure you're from Farmington. Nobody says "t'warn't" anymore. A definite linguistic lacking.

Descant 08-10-2016 09:48 PM

Just saw this in a current post in another thread. Poster is from VT and M'boro.
"In addition to using it at our camp on Winni, we have a family place on Mascoma Lake"

mneck1814 08-11-2016 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 267085)
Just saw this in a current post in another thread. Poster is from VT and M'boro.
"In addition to using it at our camp on Winni, we have a family place on Mascoma Lake"

Since this was me in the other thread I thought I would elaborate. For our camp in Moultonboro, when we are at the lake we will refer to it as "camp" but when we are home in VT, or anywhere else, we generally just say "the lake". This has evolved over the years, when my mom was growing up it was "Aunt Hattie's", when my grandparents were alive and owned it, it was strictly camp.

On Mascoma, it is my grandparent's camp where they live for the summer. So since it is still their camp we are more likely to say "a family place", but it also gets called camp.

I found it interesting when I was in college that friends from NYC and LI thought camp meant no running water or electricity. So they were very surprised when they came to visit and found a fully functional house - that they would have referred to as a "lake house".

MAXUM 08-11-2016 10:03 AM

Way I look at it you have a lifetime to figure out what to call it, and of all the problems in life you can possibly have, this is one many would love to have. There is however another much bigger problem that is extremely difficult to overcome, leaving to go home!

Congratulations on your purchase, there is nothing quite like finally living a dream you've worked so hard to accomplish.

upthesaukee 08-11-2016 10:10 AM

Stephen- it's your place and call it what you want. No politically correctness needed or expected. Enjoy! !!!! :)

I live here... I am always Upthesaukee.

sum-r breeze 08-11-2016 10:21 AM

No need for zanex here

We call ours "The Lake House" and we have to walk out on the front lawn to see the lake.... so don't sweat it. After you are settled, there will be one day when you are sitting in your new (to you) lake house and have this overwhelming feeling of peace. This lake that we all love, and the surrounding mountains have a profound ability to improve your outlook on life. Congratulations....you have arrived!! :)

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back

Newbiesaukee 08-11-2016 10:55 AM

We have a house and it is on the lake, so it never occurred to us to call it anything but that. This is an interesting thread and, of course, I know the other terms people use for their homes. I never realized the terms were regional variations.

Anyway, congratulations on your new residence and call it whatever you wish.

thinkxingu 08-11-2016 11:05 AM

I've been thinking about this, and what we say depends on the situation (as mentioned above). We're going to the lake or up to camp or we have a place on Winnipesaukee (Winni sounds too high-falootin' to me) or my wife is up at camp...

I guess the only thing we DON'T use is lake house!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

jetlag100 08-11-2016 12:06 PM

My daughter in law calls my house the camp...central AC, granite kitchen 2 baths, 3 bedroom and a block from the lake...I don't...I call it my second home up the lake...congrats! Call it whatever you like, and enjoy the hell out of it:coolsm:

steve-on-mark 08-11-2016 07:08 PM

Our 3 year old grandson , Blake, refers to our island place as " the Blakehouse"...hmmmmm.

steve-on-mark 08-23-2016 08:35 PM

Quote:

See you soon!

Many people have a " ski house" , and they're not even close to the slopes! :)