Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Red Hill Dari (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24521)

pondguy 06-06-2019 03:02 PM

Red Hill Dari

Does anyone know when the Red Hill Dari will be opening I need my clam fix :liplick:

thinkxingu 06-06-2019 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pondguy (Post 313024)
Does anyone know when the Red Hill Dari will be opening I need my clam fix :liplick:

Was wondering the same thing--I'm guessing they can't find help. Interesting situation, because I've got the summer off and could use a few bucks, but I'm not sure I want a schedule!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

GTO 06-06-2019 09:29 PM

Help wanted

Quote:

Somebody told me there is something on their Facebook saying they can't get help in order to open

tis 06-07-2019 04:50 AM

Samiam? Where are you?

joey2665 06-07-2019 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 313040)
Samiam? Where are you?

Beat me to it. I was going to say the same thing. I love his place and truly hope he finds employees for the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

SAMIAM 06-07-2019 06:24 AM

Staffing is insane this year. Foreign students under the H2B plan have been cut way back this year and local resorts that use them are now competing for the few people who are applying for summer work.
Its also getting to be a bidding war for even entry level jobs. Seasonal business' can usually afford to pay a little more because they don't need to carry people through the winter and some of them are recruiting from year round operators.
Luckily we have a great year round crew at the VK but are not getting seasonal applications so we had to take some staff from the Red Hill Dari.
I didn't think we'd even get open this year but may try for a mid June opening although we only have staff to serve 4 days....thursday/sunday.
Anyway, that's the plan. Nobody is happy but we'll do our best and hopefully, be back to normal next year.

joey2665 06-07-2019 06:38 AM

SAMIAM I wish you the best of luck and hope you get the staffing you need. I’m looking forward to some fried clams and ice cream.

Unfortunately this situation has been well documented and covered in other threads just hope the impact in minimal and the area restaurants flourish this season.

tis 06-07-2019 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 313044)
SAMIAM I wish you the best of luck and hope you get the staffing you need. I’m looking forward to some fried clams and ice cream.

Unfortunately this situation has been well documented and covered in other threads just hope the impact in minimal and the area restaurants flourish this season.

I agree. It's is a major problem. If it's not one it's another I guess. I hope you are able to get some help. Maybe think will help you out......

thinkxingu 06-07-2019 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 313043)
Staffing is insane this year. Foreign students under the H2B plan have been cut way back this year and local resorts that use them are now competing for the few people who are applying for summer work.

Its also getting to be a bidding war for even entry level jobs. Seasonal business' can usually afford to pay a little more because they don't need to carry people through the winter and some of them are recruiting from year round operators.

Luckily we have a great year round crew at the VK but are not getting seasonal applications so we had to take some staff from the Red Hill Dari.

I didn't think we'd even get open this year but may try for a mid June opening although we only have staff to serve 4 days....thursday/sunday.

Anyway, that's the plan. Nobody is happy but we'll do our best and hopefully, be back to normal next year.

Why are the foreign kids cut back?

upthesaukee 06-07-2019 11:51 AM

New immigration policies

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 313058)
Why are the foreign kids cut back?

New immigration policies. Google H2B plans.

Dave

WinnisquamZ 06-07-2019 12:14 PM

So if this restaurant you speak about was to offer let’s pick a number of $13 per hour plus tips do you think they would still have issues with hiring? The workers are here, just need to outbid others. Don’t understand. If your margins are that tight that you can’t raise your rates then you need to rethink your business model

ApS 06-07-2019 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 313037)
Somebody told me there is something on their Facebook saying they can't get help in order to open

AP: One million job openings (for those who want them).

Problem? Many applicants are overqualified.

jbolty 06-07-2019 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 313070)
So if this restaurant you speak about was to offer let’s pick a number of $13 per hour plus tips do you think they would still have issues with hiring? The workers are here, just need to outbid others. Don’t understand. If your margins are that tight that you can’t raise your rates then you need to rethink your business model

Do you want to pay $22 for a cheeseburger? Regardless of the business model there is an expectation about what people will pay vs the cost of doing business.

I have commented before that some of the table top restaurants should go to a buffet model to maximize the amount of help but that has been met with complaints about "the dining experience" the alternative appears to be staying closed and/or limited days and hours. Sucks.

Pineedles 06-07-2019 01:33 PM

For $13.00 per hour and room and board, I’ll work 30 hours per week for 10 weeks. I did it at a third of the price, no R&B for Fred Robbins 50 years ago. Inflation! [emoji38]

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Top-Water 06-07-2019 10:09 PM

Quote:

clam fix ..... Me too, went by two weekends ago ,,,,,,,,,, was really hoping they would be open. Had a great great meal there last year after fishing one day. Still haven't forgotten about how good it was.

fatlazyless 06-08-2019 05:33 AM

Quote:

Had a great great meal there last year after fishing one day.

...... maybe will give it a try? .... have drove past hundreds of times since 1992 .... but so far .... never stopped in there .... never spent even one thin dime???? ..... it looks like a postcard picture of a NH summer foodie drive-in?

By the way ..... after years and years and years .... the Kellerhaus above the Weirs has discontinued their Wednesday ice cream special .... where you got a big cone for 1.09 ...... is all gonzo forever .....so it's Sayonara to Kellerhaus ........ forever!

.... for a price like 94-cents ....the Gilford Walmart serves up a small brown paper bag of hot sliced & seasoned, baked potato wedges ..... that are really good! .... and, a yellow 25% discount price sticker happens to unsold potato wedges gone unsold after something like two hours?

....so.....94-cents minus 25% = 71-cents .... if you get lucky ..... and the baked potato is real food!

#1 best, award winning sign at a local restaurant ..... hung from the ceiling in the entry to Anthony's ..... down the bottom of the Weirs Pier ..... as you enter:

This is a restaurant!
.. Not a rest area ..

Garcia 06-08-2019 07:57 AM

Challenges...

It’s easy to say buy American and/or support local businesses, pay fair and competitive wages, maintain housing stock, and keep prices reasonable. In the real world, it’s very hard to accomplish all. I hope the staffing works out - I’m in the area in two weeks with a group of teenagers and we’re hoping to eat there after a day of hiking!

thinkxingu 06-08-2019 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia (Post 313091)
It’s easy to say buy American and/or support local businesses, pay fair and competitive wages, maintain housing stock, and keep prices reasonable. In the real world, it’s very hard to accomplish all. I hope the staffing works out - I’m in the area in two weeks with a group of teenagers and we’re hoping to eat there after a day of hiking!

OT, but where you hiking with the kiddos? School group?

robmac 06-08-2019 08:47 AM

It is very tough, I went yesterday to Hampton to a large 4 story place. It was full and few staff on the floors, explanation"have to play chess with help to maximize coverage". When people say relook at your business model well a family up for a week and paying for a roof overhead transportation food and incidentals what is left? NOTHING. And a 22 dollar burger times four ain't gonna fly. I'm not in that industry however just the planning on purchasing must be like using a crystal ball or face the demons of perishables. Those who can succeed are pros how many don't make it long.

FlyingScot 06-08-2019 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 313070)

The two restaurants referenced offer great food and friendly service at fair prices in a challenging market. The owner deserves our patronage and respect, not condescension.

SAMIAM 06-09-2019 06:01 AM

Looks like we've been lucky enough patch a crew together. Should be able to open on the 3rd week of June but only able to staff for 4 days.....thurs/sun
First time after 40 years in business that we've had trouble finding seasonal staff.

ApS 06-09-2019 06:30 AM

'Should Get Them Off Their Sofas...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 313073)
Do you want to pay $22 for a cheeseburger? Regardless of the business model there is an expectation about what people will pay vs the cost of doing business.

I have commented before that some of the table top restaurants should go to a buffet model to maximize the amount of help but that has been met with complaints about "the dining experience" the alternative appears to be staying closed and/or limited days and hours. Sucks.

Burgers can still be bought for a buck. Is the following now a good response?

"First-world problem?"

:rolleye2:

phoenix 06-09-2019 07:17 AM

First of all Samiam i am glad you can open as i miss those lobster rolls. I also support a guest worker program but i am curious with school soon to be out are our local high school kids getting jobs at higher wages or not wanting to work.

KDL 06-09-2019 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 313102)
Looks like we've been lucky enough patch a crew together. Should be able to open on the 3rd week of June but only able to staff for 4 days.....thurs/sun
First time after 40 years in business that we've had trouble finding seasonal staff.

Good news! Hope you have a great season. We will stop by soon.

SAMIAM 06-10-2019 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix (Post 313112)
First of all Samiam i am glad you can open as i miss those lobster rolls. I also support a guest worker program but i am curious with school soon to be out are our local high school kids getting jobs at higher wages or not wanting to work.

Hard to say tight now, Phoenix........very few applications for summer work from high schoolers but marina's and landscapers are desperate for laborers too so a kid can pretty much have a choice. I can understand why pumping gas at the lake or working outside is more attractive than toiling in a hot kitchen.
The economy is pretty good right now and parents are not so anxious for their kids to work and prefer they have time off in the summer. One of my regular summer kids has got a 3 week soccer camp in August. Another kid's parents informed me that they take a family vacation over July 4th week and he won't be working. It's going to be a challenging summer for everyone.

joey2665 06-10-2019 07:40 AM

SAMIAM I wish you the best of luck and will definitely be by when you open.

tis 06-10-2019 11:31 AM

I don't think highs school kids worked like we did when we were kids.

Top-Water 06-10-2019 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 313147)
Hard to say tight now, Phoenix........very few applications for summer work from high schoolers but marina's and landscapers are desperate for laborers too so a kid can pretty much have a choice. I can understand why pumping gas at the lake or working outside is more attractive than toiling in a hot kitchen.
The economy is pretty good right now and parents are not so anxious for their kids to work and prefer they have time off in the summer. One of my regular summer kids has got a 3 week soccer camp in August. Another kid's parents informed me that they take a family vacation over July 4th week and he won't be working. It's going to be a challenging summer for everyone.

Nice see you might be opening soon.....had an awesome seafood plate there last year..

Just asking? Do you allow tipping there? My son paid last year so I don't know myself. I guess for all of us that want the Red Hill Dari, now's the time to pony up with the tips. (If you can) Money is what the kids want today and usually places that put money in kids pockets (the word)gets around. One of my favorite places back home (not fancy at all) *usually has no problems getting help because the kids know if you work there you can make a good buck ....... if you do a decent job, doesn't have to be spectacular. After all Red Hill Dari is not a five star fine dinning experience ............ but it's ten stars maybe even twenty when you really want it. :)

*However for the first time since it opened a few years back they did have a help wanted sign. So I guess its not just you looking for help.

SAMIAM 06-11-2019 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 313200)
Nice see you might be opening soon.....had an awesome seafood plate there last year..

Just asking? Do you allow tipping there? My son paid last year so I don't know myself. I guess for all of us that want the Red Hill Dari, now's the time to pony up with the tips. (If you can) Money is what the kids want today and usually places that put money in kids pockets (the word)gets around. One of my favorite places back home (not fancy at all) *usually has no problems getting help because the kids know if you work there you can make a good buck ....... if you do a decent job, doesn't have to be spectacular. After all Red Hill Dari is not a five star fine dinning experience ............ but it's ten stars maybe even twenty when you really want it. :)

*However for the first time since it opened a few years back they did have a help wanted sign. So I guess its not just you looking for help.

Yes Top-water, tipping is definitely allowed. Matter of fact the kids do well with it and split everything. Tips are much appreciated.

Top-Water 06-11-2019 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 313217)
Yes Top-water,tipping is definitely allowed.Matter of fact the kids do well with it and split everything.Tips are much appreciated

Thank you good information to know and think about.

mishman 08-10-2019 09:07 AM

love there ice cream

we look forward to bringing our grand children each year

thinkxingu 08-10-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pondguy (Post 314303)
I went for lunch yesterday Great fishermans plate, large enough to share with a friend. Glad to see them open again. :liplick:

I never think about going here for seafood--how's it compare to Pop's?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

thinkxingu 08-10-2019 10:12 AM

Any notes of comparison? Portion, batter, size of scallops, etc.?! I love talking food.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app