Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Our first boat!!!!! (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14950)

Jeanzb1 10-14-2012 04:03 PM

Our first boat!!!!!

We are like two kids in a candy shop! Soooo excited about the boat we are buying tomorrow, if all goes well with the test run. I just wish that we could fast-forward to next April and we will be back and have the boat in the water. Can anyone suggest "hidden gems" or "cool places" where you can simply drop anchor and enjoy swimming off the boat? I know there are several sandbars around, but I am hoping someone will know of quieter places. :D

songkrai 10-14-2012 04:14 PM

Congratulations !
Enjoy the boat as much as possible.
If you have children old enough to learn, then teach them boater saftey.
Learn the markers. Yes, there is GPS now. But still learn the markers.

The enthusiasm can be overwhelming. Enjoy that.

Then get all out of your system.
Sometimes that takes years or decades.
Having had all sorts of boats from wooden row boats to wooden speed boats to figerglass boats of all sizes one learns that the happiest day comes when the boat is sold. The 2nd happiest is the day the boat is purchased.

Repairs. Storage. Insurance. The costs mount.

But good luck. Enjoy the precious time on the boat. May become some of the best memories that you ever have.

Enjoy !

Belmont Resident 10-14-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 (Post 192557)
We are like two kids in a candy shop! Soooo excited about the boat we are buying tomorrow, if all goes well with the test run. I just wish that we could fast-forward to next April and we will be back and have the boat in the water. Can anyone suggest "hidden gems" or "cool places" where you can simply drop anchor and enjoy swimming off the boat? I know there are several sandbars around, but I am hoping someone will know of quieter places. :D

Why ask?
I've been boating on Winni for the better part of 20 years and the best part is poking around the lake and finding those places you speak of.
But FYI there are not many places to drop anchor in shallow water that aren't usually known to others and pretty busy on any nice weekend.
One of your best tools is a Bizer chart. As for a GPS, great tool, but my belief is if you can't navigate the lake without a GPS then you don't belong out on the lake navigating with one. A GPS can act as a crutch and once you become dependent on it and for some reason it's gone?????
Enjoy your new boat.

RLW 10-14-2012 05:37 PM

All the present answers are right on and are fantastic, but if you do not have a boating certificate that should be your first thing done before you launch your boat. Best of luck and enjoy that new boat and remember SAFETY FIRST..:)

Jeanzb1 10-14-2012 06:58 PM

Yes, we both have taken the NH boating course and have our certificates.
Having a boat is going to totally change our lives here on the lake. We live here for six months and enjoy every minute of every day, although I've actually been coming to Winni for the last 35 years. We are WICKED excited. Even named our new boat 'FINALLY.' :laugh:

soupyjr8 10-14-2012 07:14 PM

Wow good for you! I also bought my first boat for the big lake. it will be a long winter for us good luck with it and congratulations. By the way what model did you buy?

JMR 10-14-2012 07:53 PM

Enjoy

Welcome to the Forum. I hope you enjoy the next couple of weeks, then it will be a long winter of looking at the Winni site for all of the pics of the lake freezing and then in Feb/mMarch you will be watching for Ice Out.

It seems the obvious site for you is the sand bars at the entrance to West Alton Marina. Next year you can explore the lake and find many of the wonders around.

In the meantime, remember there is a reduced, if not eliminated, Marine Patrol presence and very few boats or people still out on the lake. They are called quitters. There are a few of us hardy souls hanging on to the holidays as a time to leave. We are called crazy bt the quitters or they are envious.

But, don't forget to enjoy the wonder of the big lake!

8gv 10-14-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 (Post 192572)
Yes, we both have taken the NH boating course and have our certificates.
Having a boat is going to totally change our lives here on the lake. We live here for six months and enjoy every minute of every day, although I've actually been coming to Winni for the last 35 years. We are WICKED excited. Even named our new boat 'FINALLY.' :laugh:

It's really important that your boat gets properly winterized and stored. Folks here can help with mechanic and storage recommendations if they're needed. Now you need to get a boat for Florida too!:D

Dave R 10-15-2012 06:15 AM

Congrats! What brand/model did you buy?

If you have weekdays free, even the popular sand bars are pretty quiet. If you want to swim on weekends, there's plenty of places to drop the hook and tread water.

Jeanzb1 10-15-2012 07:47 AM

THANK YOU ONE AND ALL for all your words of advice and encouragement! We are very appreciative. It's a 2004 20' Monterey with all the bells and whistles. At this point we're only about ten days from leaving for Florida :-( so the boat will go into storage at Shep Brown's until we are back next April. Where we live in Florida (North Hutchinson Island, a barrier island between Vero Beach and Fort Pierce) is lovely -- as far as Florida goes -- but it doesn't begin to compare to the indescribable beauty of this area.

Oh, I almost forgot. Hubby wants to know your suggestions on the best deals for winter storage for future years.

Silver Duck 10-15-2012 09:32 AM

You started in the right place (Shep's); I'd recommend that you stay there!:) I just finished my 11th season there, and you couldn't pry me out of there with a crowbar.

Diver Vince 10-15-2012 09:37 AM

Well Jean congratulations. I also have the same sense of anticipation since we put an order in for a new boat on Winni. For me it's been some 25 years since I last owned off the coast of NJ. Looking forward to next spring. I suspect it'll be a long winter (but at least we'll spend a good deal of it on a warm desert island).:) However, nothing beats the amazing scenery out on the big lake.

gf2020 10-15-2012 08:09 PM

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/at...pics_2.gif.jpg

Rattlesnake Gal 10-16-2012 07:49 AM

Congratulations to you both!

This is very exciting news and I know you are going to love it!!!!! On a quiet non wave day, there are many spots along the shores of Island that are worth checking out. Some rocky or ledge or some sandy. Green's Basin is always a treat for us too. The possibilities are endless and just as Belmont Resident stated, just go out and explore. It's so much fun!

Hope to see you next season on the lake! So far I have been missing you guys on the few trips by on my PWC. Could be that I've been looking in the wrong place though. :rolleye1:

gf2020, that's funny! I'd like to see a picture too. :D

Jeanzb1 10-16-2012 08:30 AM

Hey there RG!

Thanks for your message! I remember you once told me how to attach photos, but I am still so lame on the computer. If you send me your email address via private message, perhaps you could attach them for me???? MANY THANKS!:confused:

Jeanzb1 10-16-2012 09:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hope this works! I'm trying to post pictures!

Rattlesnake Gal 10-16-2012 10:34 AM

Great Job Jean!

I especially love the "happy" shot!

We purchased two maps when we bought our boat. It was very helpful for me to follow along and really learn the lake alongside Paul.

Good luck with your new toy and have fun!

WakeboardMom 10-16-2012 11:09 AM

Congratulations! Enjoy Florida...April will be here before you know it!

Newbiesaukee 10-16-2012 12:33 PM

The "happy" shot really does say it all. Congratulations.

Rich 10-16-2012 05:16 PM

Congrats on the new boat! I know it will be a long winter for you! Spring will be fun!

We just finished our first year on the lake with our 'new' boat. A 1990 27 ft cruiser. We spent almost every weekend on the boat sleeping and enjoying the lake. So I know your excitement!

Even that our first year on the water is over (we just pulled the boat out of the water last weekend), now we're about ready for a larger boat! :laugh: If I can find one about 30 to 35 ft that is affordable, and I can sell or trade in my current boat I'll be all set!

Either way, it will be a long winter for us as we wait for spring also.

4Fun 10-17-2012 10:41 AM

Happy shot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee (Post 192694)
The "happy" shot really does say it all. Congratulations.

They say that's the same face you make when you sell your boat too!!!!!:D

We boat out of Sheps as well...

Jeanzb1 10-17-2012 11:32 AM

To 4Fun: Yes, we've heard that saying! Hahahahah! That may be true, but until that day arrives, we will experience a whole new part of living on the Big Lake! And no one could possibly love this lake more than we do. And when we leave next week, the last thing I will do is go down onto the dock, bend down and feel the water, and say the Winnipesaukee Prayer.

8gv 10-17-2012 08:58 PM

Great pics! Enjoy FL and do me a favor. Stop into Sonny's BBQ and post up a pic of their Big Deal lunch special (sliced pork on garlic bread with bbq beans). I'd like the local eateries here to see what I'm jonesing for!:D

Rusty 10-17-2012 09:08 PM

You and your new boat are both "BEAUTIFUL".
Congratulations!

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...1&d=1350396822

tis 10-18-2012 07:10 AM

It could never, ever be a happy day for me to sell a boat. I have always loved boats and always will. Yes, they are a pain in the neck but until the day we are unable to get into them, we will have them.

Happy Gourmand 10-18-2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 192858)
It could never, ever be a happy day for me to sell a boat. I have always loved boats and always will. Yes, they are a pain in the neck but until the day we are unable to get into them, we will have them.

When the day comes that you have a hard time getting IN them, consider a pontoon boat....you step onto them. We're looking!! :)

tis 10-18-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand (Post 192860)
When the day comes that you have a hard time getting IN them, consider a pontoon boat....you step onto them. We're looking!! :)

I don't know. Himself doesn't like them at all. Maybe if that was the only way he could boat, I don't know.

dippasan 10-19-2012 09:04 AM

Your new boat

1 Attachment(s)
One of the best parts of boating is sharing it with others. When we entertain at our camp on the lake, the highlight of everyone's weekend is when we go for a cruise. It's amazing to me how happy everyone is when they're in the boat. Particularly because of how beautiful Winni is.
So much to see and so many great destinations and awesome places to explore.
Often times we just find a cove or a spot where there's little or no traffic, take a swim, open a bottle of wine or enjoy a favorite cocktail, turn up the music and enjoy the incredible scenery.
When you look at the pictures and see the expression on peoples faces while they're in the boat, you'll understand why you bought it.

It is the best therapy there is

Irish Choppers 10-19-2012 06:44 PM

Congratulations!

Congrats on your new purchase. Having fallen deep for all things beautiful at Lake Winni we also recently purchased our first Winni boat! Having spent a season with the American Boat Club at Akwa Marina (highly reccomended)we just loved boating and exploring the lake. We finally found and purchased our boat from the good people at Silver Sands Marina on August 29th...we are looking forward to seeing you on the lake and meeting you on a sandbar! We are just starting our third year at the lake and want to express to all who follow this terrific forum how much we love and respect your beautiful region.

Aguamenti 11-04-2012 07:12 PM

That smile says it all! We also bought our first boat this summer. :D

John A. Birdsall 11-15-2012 01:02 PM

new boat

I can recall my first new boat, I was 12 years old, my dad built me a 6' boat because I was too small to operate the 11' boat and they thought that was a dangerous problem with me. The 6 foot boat had a 6 hp elgin and if you sat back in the boat it was fine. But if you leaned forward on the bow it would go faster than any boat we had. We figured it was about 40 MPH. Dad was working those days and on sunday my mother said that Dad was to take the outboard with him home. That boat was not so much fun then. Last I seen of that boat was our next door neighbor in Reading Mass going down the hill of snow using it like a toboggan.:emb:

Janet 11-15-2012 02:19 PM

My brother-in-law just bought a Chaparral 206 SI with all the bells and whistles. The whole family can't wait to get to the lake this summer!

Just Sold 11-15-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet (Post 194306)
My brother-in-law just bought a Chaparral 206 SI with all the bells and whistles. The whole family can't wait to get to the lake this summer!

Might it look like this one? 2011 206SSI

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/resi...=1347735861000

Janet 11-15-2012 03:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Sold (Post 194308)
Might it look like this one? 2011 206SSI

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/resi...=1347735861000

This is it.

Pricestavern 11-21-2012 08:12 PM

The Broads

On a calm day, and I do mean a calm day with no wind (I know they are rare), we like to go out to the middle of the Broads north-east of Rattlesnake, turn the boat off, put the ladder down and jump in. There's something exhilerating about swimming with nearly 200' of water below you and the whole expanse of the lake around you! I would not suggest this on a holiday weekend, no matter what the weather.

dippasan 11-27-2012 04:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The playpen

8gv 11-27-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricestavern (Post 194658)
On a calm day, and I do mean a calm day with no wind (I know they are rare), we like to go out to the middle of the Broads north-east of Rattlesnake, turn the boat off, put the ladder down and jump in. There's something exhilerating about swimming with nearly 200' of water below you and the whole expanse of the lake around you! I would not suggest this on a holiday weekend, no matter what the weather.

It's all fun and games 'till Winnie rises from the depths for a snack!:eek: