Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Winnipesaukee's First Lead-Poisoned Loon (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19487)

Rattlesnake Gal 07-08-2015 10:49 AM

Winnipesaukee's First Lead-Poisoned Loon

On July 1st, a dead loon was found in Loon Cove of Alton Bay. It is a confirmed case of lead-poisoning. This is so sad.

First Documented Lead-Poisoned Loon Collected on Lake Winnipesaukee

tis 07-08-2015 11:36 AM

Oh no! That is sad! I hate to hear that!

Merrymeeting 07-08-2015 11:38 AM

I wish I could understand why lead sinkers are still used and won't be illegal until next year. Should have been done LONG ago! With all the materials available in this age, how hard can it be to switch to something safer?

Rattlesnake Gal 07-08-2015 02:07 PM

Lead Lures

Merrymeeting, I was shocked to lean that the law had not gone into effect! Sigh.

AC2717 07-08-2015 02:10 PM

not that this is not tragic
but the lead weight could have been in the lake for a very long time

Rattlesnake Gal 07-08-2015 02:22 PM

You're Absolutely Right!

I hadn't thought of that, AC2717.

This is one of the reasons that I love the Forum, getting other thoughts and ideas. :D

secondcurve 07-08-2015 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 248155)
not that this is not tragic
but the lead weight could have been in the lake for a very long time

Probably not true. I thought the same thing but it was explained to me that when a fish breaks a fishing line with tackle and a lead sinker attached, Loons often make quick work of the crippled fish along with the attached tackle, lead sinker and all. They don't normally scoop up sinkers lying on the bottom of the lake. At least that is what I was told.

Rattlesnake Gal 07-08-2015 06:27 PM

Loons

1 Attachment(s)
FAQ from The Loon Preservation Committee

That Guy 07-08-2015 08:36 PM

I've encountered this first hand.

Four years back I was returning from doing some fishing. Passed a loon on the surface that wasn't doin' too hot. Seem very lethargic. The next day I went back out and at the boat ramp there was the loon. Washed up. Barely movin'. I tried petting it, but it really didn't want anything to do with me. I went into the bait bucket and started grabbing some minnows. I was there for about 45m feeding it the fish. It started gaining energy and looked like it was doing better. A guy from the loon center arrived in a car. Picked the loon up and placed it in a cardboard box. I rode with him to Winterhaven Vet with the loon in my lap. Arrived there and Ms. Wing took an x-ray. Clear as day there was a splitshot in the gizzard. They had to put it down right there. :(

Between Dad and I, we must have 20 tackleboxes. We went through every one and ditched every weight in there; regardless if they were lead or not. We bought all new weights because we didn't want to chance it.

Rattlesnake Gal 07-08-2015 08:54 PM

Ty!

(I ran out of thank yous for the day.)

I have tears in my eyes from reading your post. That Guy, thanks for sharing your story and thank you, for getting rid of any potential poison. Loons are majestic birds that we should protect and treasure.

tis 07-09-2015 06:23 AM

You mean Winter Harbor Vet, right That Guy? So where did you find the loon? In Wolfeboro?

That Guy 07-09-2015 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 248172)
You mean Winter Harbor Vet, right That Guy? So where did you find the loon? In Wolfeboro?

Winter Harbor, that's the one. Whoops on the wrong word.

Back Bay.

secondcurve 07-09-2015 08:53 AM

Ways lead hurt Loons

Thanks RG. Sounds like the way I was told is more frequent but not the only way.

SteveA 07-12-2015 05:41 AM

More info..

It's not just lead sinkers that effect the Common Loon.

http://www.wcs.org/saving-wildlife/b...mmon-loon.aspx

Rattlesnake Gal 07-12-2015 08:43 AM

Mercury

It seems to me that in this day and age there could be better filtration for coal burning plants etc to keep the environment clear of toxins.